Author Topic: keeping line depth  (Read 11019 times)

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: keeping line depth
« Reply #30 on: Jan 24, 2005, 10:01 PM »
 I use tiny bobbers to mark my line and then wind it so its right above the bobber, never had any troubles with them floatin to the surface so far.
Jason

Offline oldfox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 26, 2005, 06:44 AM »
I use just the bobber stops...brightly colored, and they slide up and down the line easily...wind onto the spool after your done, and ready to be used on your next trip out.. :tipup:

Offline powderburns

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 26, 2005, 09:25 AM »
I use a small piece of duct tape folded over on the line, easy to adjust up or down.End of the day, wind it up with your line.

Offline MikeF150

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 01, 2005, 08:19 AM »
I've always used the red plastic "straws" that come with a can of WD-40 - just cut the straw into 1/4" lengths and use a slip knot on the line to mark depth.  Very visible as well.  Toothpicks also work fine...

Offline reelucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 06, 2005, 12:52 PM »
RED 1/2 inch button on the main line for me. Keep the button on the spool after depth finding.  Button, 1/8 0z eggsinker on main line, swivel, leader w/ split shot and hook.
"Fact is stranger than fish'n"

Offline PAUGER

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #35 on: Feb 08, 2005, 05:34 PM »
I use a plastic ring.Tie a line loop through.It's easy to take on and off.(no sliding)

biggrizzly

« Reply #36 on: Feb 18, 2005, 05:58 AM »
I used to use a paper clip, I liked it better than a button because you can loop it into your line anywhere without having to slide it up and down the line or thread it in. There's a little trick to looping it in but pretty simple. Now I mostly just tie a slip not in my line for a marker. It can slip out when you catch a fish but I got sick of carrying paper clips around. :'(
THose fish are nice but I could use them for bait for pike.

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 18, 2005, 08:49 AM »
We use the small bobbers for the last 2 years and have not had any problems.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #38 on: Feb 18, 2005, 01:10 PM »
I LIKE THAT IDEA  ;)

Offline toguetaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • This is fishing!
« Reply #39 on: Mar 01, 2005, 01:32 PM »
I have fished in some of the coldest weather possible and the best thing that works for me is a slip loop with a piece of paper match cinched down in the loop. It does not float and will not get hung up on bottom. At the end of the day the match is wet and will come out of the loop with little or no effort and then you can just pull the loop out of your line. This works great............

Thank you to all my fellow Veterans

FishTrapr

« Reply #40 on: Mar 01, 2005, 03:11 PM »
Used to use slip knot but 2 winters ago changed. Now use those draw string adjusters (like you have on parka strings)that are springoaded. You press on them and they open, allowing you to pass your line thru. When you release them, the pressure holds them in place. Got them at Walmart in sewing area. About 1/2 - 5/8 inch dia. roughly. Also you can squeeze them to adjust the line depth without removing your mitts. Comes in handy when its really cold.(which is often here in Manitoba)

That sounds like a great idea Pike!  I've always used a button but it is a pain sliding the buttons up and down when you change depths drastically.  I have too many of the darned things on my parka that I don't use anyway, so I'm going to give your idea a try!

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #41 on: Mar 02, 2005, 07:38 AM »
Mostly I have used a quick overhand knot. I have also used those tiny bobbers and small split shot, but I really like the idea of the draw string adjusters. I have some on top of the dryer that have just found their way into my tackle box.
FTD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.