Author Topic: planning a lk Gogebic trip ?  (Read 19954 times)

Offline fishhooked

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: planning a lk Gogebic trip ?
« Reply #90 on: Feb 23, 2009, 12:08 PM »
Very nice!  Was finally able to get out with my boy on Sunday.  Had same results as Perchpounder...sit, catch 1 or 2, sit some more, etc.  We fished nearly all day and ended up with 5 on the ice, missed a couple taps, and had a few lookers.  Saw the small "city" down by 8-mile (unreal!), and there were even two vehicles out there.  Word must have spread like wildfire or something.  But I thought no way...so we stayed north and fished a bit south of PP.  Hopefully get out again next weekend!  Millertime, I saw a T-P down at 8-mile on Sunday, was that you, or had you headed home already?
Shut off their video games/TV and take 'em fishing!

Offline upperchpounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #91 on: Feb 23, 2009, 03:29 PM »
Very nice!  Was finally able to get out with my boy on Sunday.  Had same results as Perchpounder...sit, catch 1 or 2, sit some more, etc.  We fished nearly all day and ended up with 5 on the ice, missed a couple taps, and had a few lookers.  Saw the small "city" down by 8-mile (unreal!), and there were even two vehicles out there.  Word must have spread like wildfire or something.  But I thought no way...so we stayed north and fished a bit south of PP.  Hopefully get out again next weekend!  Millertime, I saw a T-P down at 8-mile on Sunday, was that you, or had you headed home already?

The "city" you saw, just fyi, was a big group from MN.  I know some of em...there was probably 20 or so of them.  I fished that area on Friday so I know what you mean.  I went to the other side on Sat. cause I knew there'd be even more that day.  They come once or twice a year and some of them come up for the hog-a-thon too.  That many people is not that typical for this time of year...I'm glad to see you got a few though!! 

Offline Prehnite44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #92 on: Feb 23, 2009, 03:51 PM »
Sort of a random question, but any of you guys fishing LG ever catch any burbot this time of year when they would come in shallow to spawn, if there are in fact any Burbot in there? If they exist, someone has probably caught a couple when perch fishing.

Offline upperchpounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #93 on: Feb 23, 2009, 04:20 PM »
Sort of a random question, but any of you guys fishing LG ever catch any burbot this time of year when they would come in shallow to spawn, if there are in fact any Burbot in there? If they exist, someone has probably caught a couple when perch fishing.

No burbot to my knowledge...

Offline davemillertime

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Feb 23, 2009, 06:01 PM »

Yeah that was me out there with the Tee Pee. Ill  be back down there in a few weeks I had a awsome time

Offline fishhooked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #95 on: Feb 23, 2009, 11:35 PM »
Multiple replies here....I did see a 'decked-out' pickup at the Mobil in Bergland that had a big "Marcum" emblem/sticker on the side and a bunch of other writing on the door...maybe part of the group?  I thought "holy cow"...it was starting to look like Squaw Beach out there, if you've seen that recently up in Baraga.
As for burbot - only place I've seen/caught them around here is in the big lake.
Millertime - glad it was a great trip for ya  :) !  Maybe we'll be able to team up next time.
Perchpounder/UPhunter - either of you guys doing the annual at Gogebic Lodge this coming weekend? 

Offline upperchpounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #96 on: Feb 25, 2009, 04:20 PM »
Multiple replies here....I did see a 'decked-out' pickup at the Mobil in Bergland that had a big "Marcum" emblem/sticker on the side and a bunch of other writing on the door...maybe part of the group?  I thought "holy cow"...it was starting to look like Squaw Beach out there, if you've seen that recently up in Baraga.
As for burbot - only place I've seen/caught them around here is in the big lake.
Millertime - glad it was a great trip for ya  :) !  Maybe we'll be able to team up next time.
Perchpounder/UPhunter - either of you guys doing the annual at Gogebic Lodge this coming weekend? 

That truck w/the MarCum emblem was guys from Fishing Minnesota.  I've fished w/them before, they're some good guys.  As for the Lodge tourney, I'm really not too sure...I will more than likely be out there Fri and Sat but don't know if I wanna spend my time fishing all day in the boundry area the make you fish for the tourney.  You going?

Offline fishhooked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #97 on: Feb 25, 2009, 07:54 PM »
Hmmm...maybe I'll get to meet up with them sometime.  My boy would probably love that.  I had the same thought(s) about the boundary area, which is likely to become quite populated, and I figured I'd have to get there at the crack of dawn or end up having to pick from the leftovers...and feel like I'm crowding someone else's "space."  It was nice in Steve's tourney where you could fish anywhere, and even all night if you wanted.  So I figured it may be better to just stick with what has been working.  Can't take Friday off this week, so I'm planning to try and be out there on Sat., and maybe Sun.  Hopefully the weather will cooperate and I'll still be able to take the wheeler.  Was nice being able to use that last weekend!

Offline UPhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #98 on: Feb 25, 2009, 09:02 PM »
I will be out there this Friday and Saturday but don't think that I'm going to fish the tourney.  I'm not real big on the staked out area either, I like to roam around too much.  I haven't fished that tourney in quite a few years, and only remember catching a few fish.  I always did/do fairly well fishing that area just never during the tournament day.   Must be my own bad luck.  Maybe it will take some of the pressure off of the 8-mile area for a day ;).  See you guys out there...Good Luck. 
[img]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/MattGski/teamU.gif[img]

Offline davemillertime

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Feb 25, 2009, 09:11 PM »
 >:( >:(I wish i could come down again this weekend  >:( But i think i will wait a  few more weeks. I will be looking forward to reports from there. I had a buddy and his wife fish 8 mile bay today they got 2perch and 1 sucker.......... Good luck this weekend fellas hopefully i can meet up with some of you guys before the season is over. I plan on commin down a few more times  ;)

Offline fishhooked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #100 on: Feb 26, 2009, 12:02 PM »
UPhunter - same thoughts here.  With all the pressure that area has received lately I wonder if it may be worth trying a little more towards PP?  That's where I was last weekend...in between the two, on the west side of the hole there in about 23'.  But like you said, may have to roam around to find them anyway.

Offline walleyeguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #101 on: Feb 27, 2009, 01:40 PM »
How much snow did you guys get at gogebic?  Just curious if you can get around with a four wheeler.

Offline UPhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #102 on: Mar 01, 2009, 11:03 AM »
There is probably anywhere from 8-12" of snow on top of solid ice on the North and East Shore, lots of drifting near the East shore.  There were 3-4 pickup trucks that I could see, out near the 8-mile bay area yesterday.  One truck got on the lake at the Hoop and pulled a permanent shack all the way to 8-mile bay.  You shouldn't have too much of a problem with a 4 wheeler right now.

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #103 on: Mar 01, 2009, 08:43 PM »
We rented cabins on the lake during hunting season but have never been up ice fishing. How late does the ice last on the lake? end of march/first week of april?

Offline upperchpounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #104 on: Mar 02, 2009, 08:15 AM »
I was on the ice April 16th last year and I would bet I may beat that day this year!  :)

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #105 on: Mar 02, 2009, 12:02 PM »
Nice plase keep me posted as I will be laid off work for 3 weeks last week in march first two in april, and I want to try out my new shanty and quad.

Offline UPhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #106 on: Mar 09, 2009, 11:08 AM »
No reports for a week ????  Everyone must be enjoying the beautiful spring fishing weather :).   I haven't been out since Friday, here is my Friday afternoon/evening results. No real big perch, half males/half females.  How was the bite this weekend?

Offline davemillertime

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Mar 09, 2009, 06:31 PM »
Nice catch UPhunter i sure cant wait to get back down there. I think i will headed down there this weekend on saturday also iam going to fish on the 28th for the hog a thon

Offline fishhooked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #108 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:11 PM »
VERY nice catch UPhunter!  I've been fishing the big lake some for salmon & herring and went after some gills this past Sat., so haven't been on LG for a couple weeks now.  I did okay on the big lake, but Sat. for gills was a downer, except for the weather, that was beautiful.  More people than fish though, that's for sure.  My boy has been bugging to get out, so am planning to get out to LG this coming weekend and hopefully score a catch like that  8) 
Millertime, if you're coming down we should try to team up this time...before the ice season is out.  Heck, we should all team up for once to at least meet & make a day of it!  I brought my little grill on Sat. for burgers and brats...and I'll gladly do it again!  Hopefully this weekend's weather will cooperate.

Offline davemillertime

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #109 on: Mar 09, 2009, 09:51 PM »
Hey fishhooked id be up for a meet up out there.Where  are ya thinking about fishing this weekend 8mile, porkie point, ????????? Let me know. also i thought it would be cool for a few of us to hook up during the Hog A Thon tourney. How many of you guys are fishing it ???

Offline UPhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #110 on: Mar 10, 2009, 09:24 AM »
I hope to get out again Friday and Saturday this week before walleye season ends and we take the permanent off the lake for the season. My permanent shack is about half way between Porcupine point and 8-mile bay, (Navy blue 8'x8' shanty with red/white & yellow reflectors on it).  My buddies will probably be fishing around there all day.  I like to move around a bit more and would be game to meet up if anyone wants to.  If you see us out there stop by and say hello. 

I was out yesterday and people seemed to be more spread out than they have been, there were groups of guys spread from Porcupine point all the way down the east shore to 8-mile bay and further south.  Lots of trucks out on the lake now, although that will probably change with the incoming storm.  A DNR officer stopped by for a friendly visit, when he asked how the fishing was I said "pretty slow", and he said that the perch were jumping through the hole down by the 8-mile area.  Who knows what the real truth was, take it for what it is worth I guess.  I ended up with 8 perch and my buddies caught a couple of nice walleye's, so we all went home happy :).       

Offline fishhooked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #111 on: Mar 10, 2009, 06:30 PM »
Millertime - Figured I'd venture in the PP to 8-mile area.  I'd like to head out early as I can...early as I can get my boy up & at 'em that is.  When are you planning to be up...Fri. night or Sat. morn?
UPhunter...are you finding most fish still hanging in the 22'-25' range?  Would like to capitalize on an eye or two one last time while I'm at it...my mom loves 'em  :D  I've seen two of the green shacks out there, but just don't remember focusing in on a blue one.  Guess I better pay more attention.  Or maybe you're still more north from there?  I'm hoping we don't get too much snow...would be nice to take the wheeler.  Although if it's too warm and the snow loosens up getting to/from the lake may be a challenge as well.

Offline upperchpounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #112 on: Mar 11, 2009, 07:36 AM »
Nice mess of fish there UPhunter!  I did about the same on Friday and Sunday...  Looks like we got a little less snow than predicted which is a good thing!  Maybe I'll see ya fellas out there this weekend..blue clam/black wheeler. 

Offline UPhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #113 on: Mar 11, 2009, 08:02 AM »
By the looks of things on my drive through Bergland this morining they only got 1-2" of snow.  -1 degree and very windy most of the snow will probably be drifted up in the East shore.  Should continue to be excelent conditons this weekend :).

Offline fishhooked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #114 on: Mar 11, 2009, 09:30 PM »
Yes, less snow in WP than expected as well.  But figured I may have to bust through a drift or two to get out from the east side.  Planning to be out there somewhere along the east side on Sat....with my red Quickfish3 and a faded-red Honda (old faithful)  :)

Offline UPhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #115 on: Mar 23, 2009, 12:29 PM »
Anyone been out lately?  Anyone doing the Hog-A-Thon this weekend?

Offline referee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #116 on: Mar 23, 2009, 02:28 PM »
Date? Time it starts? I'm seriously thinking of heading there from Ishpeming. I'd have to meet up with someone though as I have never perch jerked there. I have a snowmobile if that is necessary. Don't know if driving a truck out is still an option.

Offline UPhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #117 on: Mar 23, 2009, 03:15 PM »
referee,

Here is a link to the tourney info http://www.mapleridgemotel.com/Hog-A-Thon.htm.

I was out yesterday there were still some trucks out on the Lake (ice was anywere from 18"-22" thick), but with this weeks temperatures, wind, and rain that probably won't be an option next weekend.  There was about an inch of snow on the north end of the lake, as the day went on the top 1-2" of snow/ice turned to slush.  A four wheeler is probably your the best bet right now, but you could to get by with a snowmobile depending on how far you need to travel and what the surface of the lake is like on Saturday morning.   

Offline davemillertime

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #118 on: Mar 23, 2009, 07:39 PM »
ill be there  ;)

Offline UPhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #119 on: Mar 23, 2009, 10:57 PM »
Millertime,

Were you out this past Sunday?  I saw a T-P and a red Quickfish 3 together down south of 8-mile, I thought it may have been you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.