New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Using Tip Downs-How To!  (Read 6259 times)

Offline Dull Hooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Using Tip Downs-How To!
« Reply #30 on: Mar 08, 2008, 03:04 AM »
Thanks Grady and all who have provided information on tipdowns.One day I would like to see one of these in action.The water I fish when I get a chance I've yet to see anyone use tipdowns and very rarely a vex.After reading the info provided so far I have a better understanding on how they're used

In my outing on thursday I had alot of drops on my tipups,but even jigging I had to pick away at them.But after reading this earlier this week then having a bunch of drops on my tipups I wondered if I had a tipdown or 2 that may have not happened.

I had a feeling they may have been crappie dropping it when something just didn't feel right or they'd barely have it and I'd pull it right out of their yap ::).But thats why they call it fishing.

Thanks again

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #31 on: Mar 08, 2008, 03:55 AM »
I have seen more tipdown designs than even I could imagine. I saw a set made of aluminum with a battery operated beeper that was activated by a microswitch when the tip dropped. (a Kodak Machinist) Another fellow I fish with uses the old Coat hanger on a stick tips.

My idea is to make a set of Super-Sized tipdowns. I'm talking at least 3 feet long maybe longer. I've fished a lot of crappie with mine and I get a lot of drops. I like Bart's design. All plastic...cheap materials...simple. I think that a properly balanced, but longer tip would give the fish a bit more time to play before it feels the line tension. Guess I'm headed to Home Depot this afternoon.

The upright may need a base of some sort for support. It's going to be rather tall

One thing ...I don't even mess with mine unless it's at or above freezing temps.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline fishit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Mar 08, 2008, 08:32 AM »
RG,
 I've been fooling with a couple of different designs to make a taller set. Not so much for the fish but to save my back from having to bend over so far...lazy I know...
 I really like the idea of the open handle that you can add weight to for suspending the minnow. The ones I use now can only be set to have the weightr hit the bottom then balance the rod....time to start drilling..

Thanks for all the info

Fish.it
.. Go away or I shall taunt you a second time...

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #33 on: Mar 08, 2008, 10:31 AM »
Fcrap,

It's kinda ugly outside today so I'm gonna whip up a tall tipdown. The more I think about it...the more I like it.

RG

I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper................. .. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

Gotta love Monty ;D
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline fishit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Mar 08, 2008, 12:50 PM »
RG,
 Let me know what you use for a collapsible,sturdy base...It has to be fairly rigid, most of the taller ones I've seen use snow pack or drill shavings to pack around the base...This won't always work on slick black ice...

You are the first to notice the Monty quote...you wiper of other peoples bottoms..

Fish.it
.. Go away or I shall taunt you a second time...

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #35 on: Mar 08, 2008, 04:12 PM »
My tipdowns are of pvc, The upright is 1 1/4" with no base. What I do now is drill a shallow second hole next to the through hole and just pile some snow and slush around it. I'm thinking I may use an adapter and a 4" end cap and place it in the shallow hole. I use a 4 1/2" finbor that drills about a 5" hole. It should work perfectly.

The prototype is in the works. My Fish Trap is 40" inside so they won't be any longer than that. I was thinking of using some broom hanger clips attached to the upright to store the 2 pieces together.

I'm a MOnty fan too.

RG

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.