New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: I @#$% Hate 10" augers!!  (Read 7810 times)

Offline Madbomber

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: I @#$% Hate 10" augers!!
« Reply #60 on: Feb 16, 2008, 06:40 AM »
nothing wrong with a mid February swim  ;)
MADBOMBER ><))))))))))))))(*>

Offline emptyhanded

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • thump - fish onnnnnn
« Reply #61 on: Feb 16, 2008, 04:10 PM »
last weekend I pulled a 10# walleye thru the ice on bay of quinte -- it was very wide fish. I had a 10-inch hole, and at one point I thought a 12 inch hole would help

Does not play well with others

As uncle ted says - u have to kill it to grill it" its our right to bear arms and chase large women

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Feb 16, 2008, 04:25 PM »
I imagine its possible to pull a 25 pound Northern out a 8 inch hole if you stick your hands right in there on its gills and give it a good rip. If we're going to do that anyways, might as well save a bit of gas and enjoy ourselves squeezing it through an 8 inch hole.

Offline emptyhanded

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • thump - fish onnnnnn
« Reply #63 on: Feb 16, 2008, 06:56 PM »
i personally own a 8-inch gas strikemaster mag 2000 -- my buddy has the 10-inch

I never thought about a 10-inch till those big wide walleys
Does not play well with others

As uncle ted says - u have to kill it to grill it" its our right to bear arms and chase large women

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #64 on: Feb 16, 2008, 07:21 PM »
We had both of our 10 and 1/4" augers out there today rocking them :-) I pulled a laker out that I'm glad I had a 10" hole I'll tell you that much. Also, look in the picture forum, the a guy had to chisel out 2 10" holes side by side to make a carp come through.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline martenpine

• IceShanty Rookie
  • when there is shot in the air there is hope
« Reply #65 on: Feb 16, 2008, 07:24 PM »
Wear bigger boots,, Sorry about the wet feet but I use my big 10 inch... because I don't ever give a big fish an opportunity to get away.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Feb 16, 2008, 07:47 PM »
We had both of our 10 and 1/4" augers out there today rocking them :-) I pulled a laker out that I'm glad I had a 10" hole I'll tell you that much. Also, look in the picture forum, the a guy had to chisel out 2 10" holes side by side to make a carp come through.

How big of a laker was this? Out of the King?

Offline Jack Ryan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Feb 16, 2008, 07:56 PM »
10 inch augers are ridiculous.  :%$#!:  I have a 4 year old son who has been out with a few times. He loves to ice fish  but I gotta tell ya its my worst fear  that he goes plunging through  :-\ As a father who is safe and careful it has me on pin and needles the entire time were out together. IMO I  think they are over kill and unsafe. 95 % of the time they are necessary even when you hunting  big game like pike or tigers. I just don't buy the position that you have to have them if you going for big pike...sorry

If you think it's really that big of a risk then taking a 4 year old out on the ice with out taking steps to make sure he is safe is what is ridiculous.
"Be the one you want to catch"

Offline deadstick50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Feb 16, 2008, 08:05 PM »
We took the kids fishing Fri. A.M. We had fished the lake two days prior, but after some rain, slush and then snow you could not see the holes. We use an 8' auger. I have size 14 4eeee boots and stepped into an old hole. After the initial shock, a few bruises, and to much laughter to mention I extracted myself. The first thing my partners and son had to offer was I may have been using to big of a bait. All in all a bad situation, but a lesson well learned.
all fishermen are liars--except you and I----
and sometimes I'm not so sure about you

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #69 on: Feb 16, 2008, 08:28 PM »
Sorry to hear you fell through a hole. I have a 10" auger and have never seen anyone fall through. I try to leave a mound around every hole I make(see avatar). I think it's important everyone pay closer attention later in the season anyway.

Hate is a very strong word.

Offline deadstick50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Feb 16, 2008, 08:41 PM »
I have fallen through the ice on 2 occasions, but have never fallen through an old hole before. The first thought was that I was going to break my ankle or lower leg. Luckily neither happened. If a child or or my fishing buddy (with size 7 boots) had stepped into that hole I'm not sure what would have happened. I will make sure to mark our holes from now on.
all fishermen are liars--except you and I----
and sometimes I'm not so sure about you

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Feb 17, 2008, 07:03 AM »
If you think it's really that big of a risk then taking a 4 year old out on the ice with out taking steps to make sure he is safe is what is ridiculous.

You just made a wild assumption about how I do or don't keep my 4 year old safe....you know what they about assumptions.....
Have you ever fished with me? Do you know anyone who has? Can you speak intelligently to what precautions I take with my 4 year old...let me answer for you..NO. Your assumptions are ridiculous and for that matter I still think 10 inch augers are to.

Offline Jack Ryan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Feb 17, 2008, 07:17 AM »
You are right. I assumed when you complained about 10 inch holes and said you worried about your child all day you were telling the truth. I didn't watch you.

My mistake.

10 inch augers are ridiculous.    I have a 4 year old son who has been out with a few times. He loves to ice fish  but I gotta tell ya its my worst fear  that he goes plunging through    As a father who is safe and careful it has me on pin and needles the entire time were out together. IMO I  think they are over kill and unsafe. 95 % of the time they are necessary even when you hunting  big game like pike or tigers. I just don't buy the position that you have to have them if you going for big pike...sorry

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Feb 17, 2008, 07:30 AM »

Honestly, lets face it, when you bring a child under the age of lets say 8, Its for YOU and NOT for them. Don't get high and mighty here, both my kids were on the ice at early ages. Good memories ,yes. Good times, maybe. Besides the constant worry and making sure they are safe, you get a couple pics for the photo album. Maybe they get a fish and your proud and brag to your buds and family about the next generation of sportsman in the family. Do they remember, hardly. Is it safe , not really. Do you have a good time, sure in the long run. Its like the parents at Disney we saw last week toting kids around that are toddlers. They aren't going to remember squat, and it can be a taxing chore to keep them happy and occupied and safe. You have to consider that, I wish I did a time or two. All dads wants their babies to be with them having fun but, I doubt many 4-6 year olds ask to go icefishing  Even if they do it doesn't mean they should. Wait until they understand more and are aware of the dangers or better yet go meet with someone on the ice and bring them along to see. That way you can concentrate on their enjoyment and safety. I'm sure your a good father like most who take their kids fishing. I make no assumptions about how you handle your kids. All kids react and mature differently, 4 is a little young in MY opinion............... .............. for your sake, If there was an accident, very quickly you'd go from being angry at the guy who cut the 10" hole to not being able to forgive yourself for not preventing it and accidents do happen.......Food for thought

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Feb 17, 2008, 07:44 AM »
You are right. I assumed when you complained about 10 inch holes and said you worried about your child all day you were telling the truth. I didn't watch you.

My mistake.

no matter how safe you are things can happen...
worrying about him plunging through, and being on pin and needles means I have heighten awareness when we are on the ice. All it takes is a little snow to cover danger on the ice.

Offline imoutdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Feb 17, 2008, 08:29 AM »
Sorry you had a bad day. I like my 10" and think it is far better than my 4" or my 6" or my 8". if you are afraid to be on the ice where there may be big holes under snow than try a walking stick out in front of you. there are all kind of hazards on the ice. we all take chances when we step off shore but we all don't complain about them.Have a safe and good time, hope this helps.  <"(((><........

Offline aaron719

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Feb 17, 2008, 08:57 AM »
30/06+squirrels=target practice, but on the ice, we ALL should watch our steps.  to each their own.  this topic comes up every year and we could debate it til we turn blue in the face.  bottom line, there are always dangers on the ice, be careful, stay on top, and tight lines. :tipup:

i think i turned blue.  anyways, i'm still cutting 10" holes, sorry.  be careful
"The Green Hornet strikes again"

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Feb 17, 2008, 09:04 AM »
OUTLAW THOSE F------- TEN INCH AUGERS.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline Jack Ryan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Feb 17, 2008, 09:12 AM »
no matter how safe you are things can happen...
worrying about him plunging through, and being on pin and needles means I have heighten awareness when we are on the ice. All it takes is a little snow to cover danger on the ice.

I agree with that.

I took my boy with me by the time he was ten or so but never when he was little enough to worry about falling through any holes drilled in the ice.

I'm just pointing out it is dangerous or it is not dangerous. It can't be so dangerous that no one should use a 10 inch hole so you can bring your kids and then not be so dangerous that you bring them any way. If I really thought there was much chance my boy could fit through the holes I'm likely to run across I sure wouldn't bet his life that every one else is going to mark them or that I would recognise them if they did.

Think ya just don't like stepping in them and worrying about kids stepping in them just seems a little more convincing than some one not wanting wet feet.

In any case there are millions of ten inch augers out there. They are never going to be ruled against. If ya really think they are dangerous there's only really one option. Don't take people on the ice that will fit through a 10 inch hole or keep 'em on a line and tied to some one or something else that won't go through the hole.

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #79 on: Feb 17, 2008, 02:50 PM »
How big of a laker was this? Out of the King?
It was just a good one  ;) and yes.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline aaron719

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Feb 17, 2008, 03:05 PM »
OUTLAW THOSE F------- TEN INCH AUGERS.
sorry, i don't see that happening

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Feb 17, 2008, 03:27 PM »
Cough Bull*$(% Cough, I think that statement is total B.S., My 2 daughters love to go fishing, hunting, and whatever else we can do as a family. I wish you could see the excitement in their eyes when we start planning a Saturday on the ice, a day in the blind or a day in the boat. I get the constant barrage of "DAD WHEN ARE WE GOING FISHING" I had to go and buy them their own tipups and paint them pink and purple. Its always about the family for us. Working nights for the last 15 years doesnt allow us all the time we want together so we have to get it from wherever we can. If it weren't for my little ones wanting to come with me I'd have to pass on alot of fishing and hunting.

I hear what your saying Silvrback. My son gets so pumped up and excited the night before.  He loves going and it all started with open water fishing. Whether its 10 inch augers or thin ice. Its my job to keep an eye on him and keep him safe. I accept that responsibility...end of story. Having said that I still find 10 inch's augers to be overkill and an unnecessary risk to others, big or small.... Moving on now to the next thread boys.............. :tipup:

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Feb 17, 2008, 04:40 PM »

Give me a $#@%#$@$ break pal. Ya musta missed the part that said my two little ones were out there with me too. You don't think my little ones eyes light up at the mention of a trip. They have they're own poles also. Admittingly eight may be old enough for some, but not others and actually 6 is what I should have said. Is that the only part you read, whatta ya need? There was a point to what I wrote. I think you missed it. Today every schmuck with new equipment assumes he's an outdoorsman that may not be you but, there are a lot more these days. Every little kid wants to be with dad doing dad stuff or family as you have it. YOU want to make them happy YOU want to be a good dad YOU want to spend time like they do that's a given for a child. However, YOU are the one that posses reason and clear thinking not the 2-6 yr old who is completely reliant on YOU. If you are aware of the dangers and the risks and you feel you can control that, more power to ya. You may be more of an exception than the rule with your statement maybe you didn't consider that. You could be a dad that takes them to the movies or bowling  or the park to spend time as a family for that matter if you need. Ice fishing has unique dangers to itself unlike shore fishing or during open water, right?. You could put a life preserver on 'em and a rope to make sure on the ICE but, how many do. Really, I can count on one hand the amount of kids on the ice with a life perserver on and never a rope tied to them. I've been at it 30 year plus. Kids between 2-6 are little, too little for first ice and too little for last ice and places like Ibay on the south end where its Swiss cheese and 10" heaven during the middle season. That's why the adults in my life waited until I was old enough in their minds.I'm not talking about the family pond or that little lake no one goes to either. I watched my 7 yr old son and then again at eight go up to his crotch in old holes> Right after I told him to watch out and be careful 'cause there are big holes out here. No more than 20 ft. away from me. They can't sit in the tent all day at that age and you can't hold they're hand for 8 hours either or why bother. That's why I said go visit a friend doing it if you can so when its time to go, you can go. Not to mention the distractions of company if there is some and machines tooling around. Don't assume your  going to keep your eyes are on them every minute of every hour. Ice fishing evolved today from an almost completely adult sport that got modern conveniences and now you have more kids and schmucks out there than ever. I myself started at 8. Never was allowed to until that age. Rare to see a power auger back then, or a sled for that matter IN MY AREA WNY, up north and out west different story, You needed that stuff and a good shanty or shack. Think about the last thing I said in my last post, and keep YOUR BS where it belongs! Just cause you are OK  don't assume everyone is and ONE accident will change the way you feel forever. My son is 11 now, we were on Ibay south end today, never worried once. He knows the deal, from learning the hard way. I debated in my mind if I was being a responsible father having him out there with that or was I doing what I though they wanted and there is a difference. I thank God he was OK both times and for awhile he didn't go. Some his choice, some mine. Obviously, Jflood feels differently and I don't call worrying all day fun! Bottom line, your 2-6yr old goes through a 10" hole its YOUR fault and NOT the guy who drilled the 10" hole who may be the grandfather of that child because that's how long 10" holes have been around and the risks that go with this sport. I made the mistake of saying 8 and under, really 6 and under is what I should have said but, mine had the misfortune at 7 and 8 and ultimately its your choice to have them out there, not the kids. This thread always sucks and I can't believe what some opinions are. Like telling your kids NO makes you a bad father, please Remember the world does not revolve around you or me, even though we all would like it too and yours or my opinions for that matter. Sometimes it is what it is, plain and simple and YOU the ADULT have a CHOICE to make. I myself have passed on hunting and fishing trips many a time because of the risks to them. I have also enjoyed lasting good memories and good times with them because I weighed the odds on risk and they weren't enough that I felt they were in danger. Last time I EVER comment on a 10" auger thread. Figure it out.............. >:( and move on like you said

Offline imfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Feb 17, 2008, 06:21 PM »
Outlaw the 10" augers, 4 wheelers, snow machines come on let's be real.
How about only 1 tip up, 1 jigging rod, 1 4" hand auger because I'm sure someone has been hurt carrying more gear out the ice. What if we anglers take responsibility for our own actions and safety and quit blaming others.
If you don't feel safe out there stay home.

GO fish, be safe and have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Offline aaron719

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Feb 17, 2008, 06:36 PM »
still going on this topic? :sick:  let's all just go out, have fun, be careful and chase some  :tipup: :tipup:  watch your steps ;)2

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #85 on: Feb 17, 2008, 07:08 PM »
Outlaw the 10" augers, 4 wheelers, snow machines come on let's be real.
How about only 1 tip up, 1 jigging rod, 1 4" hand auger because I'm sure someone has been hurt carrying more gear out the ice. What if we anglers take responsibility for our own actions and safety and quit blaming others.
If you don't feel safe out there stay home.

GO fish, be safe and have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Outstanding. Couldn't have said it better.

Offline TeamTwoSticks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Feb 18, 2008, 11:28 AM »
if a ten inch auger is overkill how many of you drive to the ice in a gas sucking truck or suv?  how can you drive to the ice on 10 miles/gallon and then complain about the guy who is using an auger larger than yours?  maybe thats really what it comes down to, you dont have a 10 auger and no one else should either.  but your truck is the best and anyone without a truck just needs to get out of your way.

ya'll just need to let it go because what you are upset about it what makes this country great.  we can do what we want, with what we want.  relax and enjoy the fact that you are fishing with your kids, friends or relatives.  and if an accident happens well thats all the more reason to be prepared.  you never know if that treble hook you have on will lodge its self into a member of your fishing party.

tighht lines and be safe

Offline dav

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • dav, no better time to wet your line.
« Reply #87 on: Feb 18, 2008, 11:34 AM »
I love my 4", 6", 8" and 10" depends on what your target fish is....... 
FIND PEACE, LOSE YOURSELF IN NATURE....

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Feb 18, 2008, 03:45 PM »
I used my 6" auger while targeting smaller fish yesterday. Had to faithfully go out every hour to chip the hole of ice. When you're targeting jittery fish that does not help. Also there was a post about squeezing a big pike through a small hole with some effort. What do you do if you are catch and release????? Pike is good as dead unless the hole is bigger. Just be careful out there..............
      Kim :tipup: :tipup:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.