Author Topic: Salmon through the ice. Read before you fish  (Read 13153 times)

Offline newfoundpleasure

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Salmon through the ice. Read before you fish
« Reply #30 on: Jan 31, 2008, 02:26 PM »
To all those quick to bash Skunked for posting the pic of the male Landlocked.
He did more service to the sport by doing so than not doing so.
There are more and more people being introduced to the sport of fishing and hunting, and even though F&G tries it's best to inform the public, there is always room for improvement.   
I just this morning informed a Rookie Icefisherman that moved to Hebron, NH on Newfound to come to this Website for valuable information.(actually my wife told her co-worker)
And Yes, alot more of us Flatlanders are moving North and choosing to retire in the Lakes Region or the White Mountains of NH.  We worked hard all our lives too, and we deserve it.  Please excuse us for not having the experience as some others, but for the most part, we are caring individuals that only seek the Harmony the Great Outdoors has to offer.
I'll now step down from my soapbox  ;D

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 31, 2008, 02:39 PM »
I hope I didn't come off as bashing skunked...not my intention at all.  Just was trying to pass on knowledge.  I know everyone has to learn, but to learn by a CO handing you a fine/suspension isn't a fun way to learn.  They don't accept "I didn't know that" as a reason  ;)

Offline knurren

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 31, 2008, 03:13 PM »
I'm not saying I have all the answers, but Maine has somehow figured out a way to allow salmon to be taken through the ice.  Maybe they have a better fishery for them, who knows.  I have never asked a biologist their opinion about salmon fishing through the ice, but it'd be a nice discussion to have.

Offline jgguppyboy2

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice ice baby!
« Reply #33 on: Jan 31, 2008, 03:43 PM »
I was not bashing him in any way.  Like I stated.... I made the same mistake a while back before I knew better.  and like kenman said we are just trying save some innocent people from getting tickets.  Because I gaurentee most CO's aren't going to take "I didnt know" for an answere.  It is the responsibility of the sportsman to read and understand the rulebook.  Just line when I become an out of stater and go to maine.  I need to know every law that pertains to what im doing.  If I just go up and start hunting on a sunday its no ones fault but my own.   Skunked,  I hope you didnt take any offense to anything I said.   You need to look at the size of maine and the revenue the state brings in from sportsman.  They have more money and more bodies of water to support salmon.   Most of the salmon research and upkeep is done on just a few lakes.  Guess where 75% of fisherman are going to go if they could catch salmon through the ice.  And the biologist for fish and game,  atleast one of the ones I talk to that deals specificaly with salmon in the lakes region agree's that it would hurt the population.  Now seems as how thats his job im sure he could baffle your mind with more factual information to back it up than I can.  But non the less his studies are where my standings come from.    Just on a side not    I would LOVE to see all the people complaining if we had as many rules as maine does.  You though we had a confusing book!

~Stefan~

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 31, 2008, 04:41 PM »
phttt. no keeping them in the non ice season sounds good to me.. i pay the same for a licence as they do

Offline jgguppyboy2

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice ice baby!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 31, 2008, 05:00 PM »
People who really want to catch salmon leagaly find a way to do it.  I went out with friends who had boats, I borrowed peoples canoes or rowboats.  Theres plenty of great deals on boats out there.  300 bucks will get you out on the water!  Just dont forget now you have to pay to register you boat too!!!

~Stefan~

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 31, 2008, 05:10 PM »
what your a boat salesman? i pay the same to fish as any boat owner to fish how is it you feel you deserve an advantage?
if the fishery is so fragile. no fishing for all..... how is that so ,or more offensive than no fishing for a few?
on this thread i see evidence of undue stress on the fish. do you sugjest this does not happen during the softwater season?

Offline jgguppyboy2

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice ice baby!
« Reply #37 on: Jan 31, 2008, 05:11 PM »
you dont pay to register you boat right?

~Stefan~

Offline jgguppyboy2

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice ice baby!
« Reply #38 on: Jan 31, 2008, 05:14 PM »
the opportunity for every to catch a salmon is there.  If you dont want to go cast from the beach thats your own decission.  I dont own an auger.  its to expensive.  so should everyone else not be able to icefish because i cant afford an auger?

~Stefan~

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 31, 2008, 05:19 PM »
you dont pay to register you boat right?

~Stefan~

that is totally completly irrelivent, you dont pay to register your kayak either... yet
i dont use a snowmobile, should i only be allowed to fish in the non snowmobile section of the lake?
 or the "you didnt buy s 4wheeler section? "
 come on skipper stop thinking your wallet has an advantage to what all sports pay for.
 do you feel a rich sport has a better chance at the big one than a child.. no the fish will bite any hook avalible. thats equallity
thats what we call "fair game"

Offline jgguppyboy2

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice ice baby!
« Reply #40 on: Jan 31, 2008, 05:28 PM »
untill this past year I had a boat that i registered in order to put it on the lake to fish out of.  so yes I "payed" more than you be able to fish for salmon.  but like you said thats pretty irrelivent!   my point is you dont catch salmon because you dont try.  EVERYONE has the opportunity to catch a salmon.  plain and simple.
 I am probably just as poor as anyone else but if I want something I find a way to make it happen.   You pay for trout pond stocking but I dont hear much complaining that we cant fish those in the winter.  and the best fishing there is in a boat but you can still catch fish from shore!  Its not even close to a rich mans sport.

~Stefan~

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #41 on: Jan 31, 2008, 05:31 PM »
well if you are planning to spend the entire day fishing with the fam, and you catch 2 17in salmon in the first hour of fishing your most likely not going to keep them and call it a day.  Your going to throw them back.  Well what happens if you gill hooked them.  Now you are throwing back a fish that will probably not make it.
Stefan,
This could happen and does happen now without people "targeting" salmon or having a salmon season through the ice.  How do you really "know" who is "targeting" what?  Just because someone puts a smelt or shiner 5-10ft below the ice doesn't necessarily mean that they are "targeting" salmon.  Yeah, its one way of doing it.  But you can catch any other species the same way.  You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that, but I think we could pull off a salmon season through the ice.  Of course the biologist is going to tell you that taking salmon through the ice would be detrimental.  Why wouldn't he/she?  If he/she went around telling everyone we should be taking salmon through the ice, Fish and Game in would more than likely have a big issue with that. JMO ;)
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 31, 2008, 05:36 PM »
i see some sports on this thread that did catch salmon who were not trying. why should they be penalized?

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #43 on: Jan 31, 2008, 05:41 PM »
That is the only way to get the laws changed.  If we could group together to persuade the powers that be to change a law, we just might get it done.  We do have some say in the matter.

I don't know the salmon fisherie's current condition, but perhaps fish and game biologists would have more information as to why fishermen aren't aloud to take Salmon through the ice.  They take them through the ice in Maine, but not New Hampshire.  Perhaps it's an old law that was put in place to allow salmon to recover after being overfished.  I honestly don't know.  But if more people wrote letters, we could potentially get the law changed or at least find out the reasons why we can't.  Just my 2 cents...

Count me in for writing letters/emails!!
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Offline jgguppyboy2

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice ice baby!
« Reply #44 on: Jan 31, 2008, 05:44 PM »
ok  lets start salmon fishing through the ice.  double the fishing pressure double resources needed to keep it up, double the amount we have to pay for licenses.  now who's complaining.

~Stefan~

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #45 on: Jan 31, 2008, 05:50 PM »
Easy now.  I know you have said before we are all entitled to our opinions.  Right?

I greatly enjoy the open water salmon fishery, just as much as you do, but I would have no problem paying for a salmon license or tag to take salmon through the ice.  How does Maine do it?
Clark Gable

Offline Vic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 31, 2008, 05:55 PM »
count me in I'd pay extra for the lic.

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 31, 2008, 05:58 PM »
ok  lets start salmon fishing through the ice.  double the fishing pressure double resources needed to keep it up, double the amount we have to pay for licenses.  now who's complaining.

~Stefan~

so far only you, why pay more? do softwater sports pay a speicial fee for landlocks. i realize they do for broodstock fishing.

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #48 on: Jan 31, 2008, 06:09 PM »
Proposed '09 Salmon Icefishing Season:

Start it off short. Run it for one week. Maybe the 3rd week in Feb?  Start it in the middle of the week like they do for rifle season.  Limit 1 fish per day.  Charge nonresidents more (of course!).

Any other ideas?
Clark Gable

Offline jgguppyboy2

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice ice baby!
« Reply #49 on: Jan 31, 2008, 06:13 PM »
you are right.  my oppologies rob-s and anyone else who has the same opinion as him.  every does have a right to thier own opinion.  and its not my place to come down on them for it.  I just hope that some day i dont have to show my kid a picture and say "look what used to be in this lake"  If fish and game biologist said yeah taking them through the ice wouldnt hurt them then I would be all for it.  

~Stefan~

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 31, 2008, 06:31 PM »
i no longer live in NH   but i have done most of my fishing there     It would be nice if f&g would possibly allow 1 salmon per day   ice fishing     perhaps even with a short season. I didnt have a boat for may years fishing in alton bay i managed to catch alot of salmon   granted it became much easier when we finally got a boat. Salmon would be alot of fun to target through the ice   i can fish them here thorugh the ice  but i would have to travel 3-4 hours not really worth it.  I am surprised f&g doesnt allow it   i know whn i moved away a few years ago the salmon population was quite comfortable and could easily have endured some ice fishing pressure.  I will be coming for the derby     wont catch anything but a buzz    but it is always fun    GO PATS!!!

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Jan 31, 2008, 07:00 PM »
i just cannot understand why softwater and not threw the ice.
you boat logic is not a good one in my opinion. its predigest favoring those willing to pay,or whom can afford.
that's not fair chase, fair game. 
if the fishery is in bad shape/ shut er down to all.
also cannot understand your point of stress only associated with icefishing,however its fine and dandy for a boat fisher.
feel free to invite your biologist guru to respond, they certainly have you convinced.

Offline skunked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 31, 2008, 07:21 PM »
WOW..this has become quite the heated discussion..My purpose of posting the pic of the salmon I caught, was not to brag about the Salmon I caught... but to post a pic of  how similar and confusing it can be to distinguish between a salmon and a brown. I have caught quite a few salmon before this one and quite a few after..but that was the first one I happen to catch with the markings and colorings of a brown. Take a look at the "Know your species" section of the rule book. I think it looks a hell of allot more like the brown they have pictured than the salmon they have pictured. All the Salmon I catch get a swift return into the drink..I happend to pull this one out and take a closer look, and yes after maybe 1 to 2 minutes tops of closer study..it too also returned. I just happend to have the nads to post a pic of it and try to inform people of how similar the 2 species can be...learn from my mistake. For those of you who whined that I took a salmon through the ice and actually took a picture..I call you a hypocrite!! And by the way..the wound on its jaw was there when i pulled it in!

P.S. Maybe one day per during ice seson that you can keep em
My water tastes like [email protected] kill the taste by adding malted barley, hops, and yeast..then its perfect!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #53 on: Jan 31, 2008, 07:58 PM »

And Yes, alot more of us Flatlanders are moving North and choosing to retire in the Lakes Region or the White Mountains of NH.  We worked hard all our lives too, and we deserve it.  Please excuse us for not having the experience as some others, but for the most part, we are caring individuals that only seek the Harmony the Great Outdoors has to offer.
I'll now step down from my soapbox  ;D

Just for the record newfoundpleasure, I don't consider you a flatlander. To me a flatlander is someone who comes from out of state (mostly from mass but not limited to), is disrespectful of others and to what we believe in and enjoy ie: "the great outdoors has to offer".
I believe your an honest fishermen who appreciates and respects the beauty of NH. I got no problem with that or you. So get back on your soapbox and preach the good word brotha!

See you out there!
JIGGIN.

Offline jgguppyboy2

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice ice baby!
« Reply #54 on: Jan 31, 2008, 08:18 PM »
if you want argue with me thats fine.  But dont be so quick to judge any of the biologists of fish and game until you hear it from thier mouths.  I was lucky enough to have meet this particular person who is kind enough to take the time to answere questions for me.  And they will do the same for you if you ask.  Dont base your judgement on my interpitation.  If you dont like they way I say it get it straight from them then make your decision.  and like stated before,  Ill try to make it more clear this time and this is not from a biologist persay, this is just me putting 2 and 2 together.  there is no free spooling line involved in boat fishing.  once the fish bites the hook its an immediate hookset.  there is no time in most cases for the fish to swallow the bait.  Thus greatly reducing deep gut or gill hooksets.  With icefishing the fish is free to run with the bait and hook unhindered until you get to the hole and decide to set the hook thus creating a much better chance of giving a more detramental hookset.

~Stefan~

Offline skunked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 31, 2008, 08:48 PM »
Lets all take some Midol, relax..have a beer..accept the rules that are set! Like Stephan said..Biologists work with F&G to set limits, seasons, etc..for a reason..not just to bust nads, fine people, and collect revenue, but to ensure a healthy fishery and herd that we all take for granite.

On a lighter note..anyone slushin' this weekend  ::)
My water tastes like [email protected] kill the taste by adding malted barley, hops, and yeast..then its perfect!

Offline jgguppyboy2

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice ice baby!
« Reply #56 on: Jan 31, 2008, 08:50 PM »
I wish!  I have to work.  will be out next fri thru sun!

~Stefan~

Offline jgguppyboy2

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice ice baby!
« Reply #57 on: Jan 31, 2008, 09:13 PM »
and by the way there is always going to be people with an advantage over others in everything.  The basketball team with the best players, the guy who has a $1500 bow and 5 days a week off during hunting season verses the guy how has a $200 bow and 1 day a week to hunt.  The guy with a bass boat and a honda 250 on it and the guy who has a canoe.  The point is people do what they gotta do.  And I know the people who suck it up and fish on the beach are having more fun than the people sitting at home complaining because they dont have a boat so they dont have as good of a chance as the ones who do.  I think the possibility of a kayak license is stupid.  Out right rediculous.  But guess what, if it happens I can either pout about it and stay home and not use my boat or I can suck it up and have fun fishing from my kayak.

~Stefan~

Offline skunked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Jan 31, 2008, 09:21 PM »
If they want to you to your register canoe, and kayak next year...what about us with float tubes..are we going to need to register them as well?

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Jan 31, 2008, 09:36 PM »
personally i own two boats. i have had fishing licences in nh.mass,ny,and maine simotaniously many a year,
 i have welcomed any time a warden or biogist has come near me and have interrogated them far more than they did me.
i have come to learn from a large group. i understand the politics of many fish and wildlife administrations.
 i draw my own conclutions  and have been influenced by many.
 i have extensive knoledge how to release a fish after bringing it close at hand. i take few pictures
and eat as many fish as i need.
rules are to be implimented to pertain to all regarless of education, creed, color, and what club you endorse.
i dont break rules if i dont agree with them. i enjoy the sport
good luck on your upcomeing outings.
 im quite satisfied with the ground i stand on

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.