Author Topic: Can you over fish an area?  (Read 3648 times)

Offline twintrades

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin for dinner
Re: Can you over fish an area?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 07, 2008, 01:37 PM »
I never even heard of a lake having soo many people on it. Most ive ever fished aroud is mabye a dzn.

I have the local tip line programed in my phone now. But that instance i wrote about happend 3-4 yrs ago.
I drove by the spot where i was fishing and 2 people are braving the rain to fish. Cant blame them though as i drove past i saw some one running for a tipdown. I might go out.......

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 07, 2008, 06:50 PM »
Read the article in the Infisherman Icefishing mag for 2008 titled "legal is not always ethical".  Just because it is legal to keep X number of fish does not mean you should keep your limit every time out. 
Guys that keep a limit of slob pike time after time really bother me.  Those big pike are your breeders.  Panfish can bounce back easier than your top of the food chain predators.  Sorry for my little rant. 

Hi,
just curious why you have a big dead pike in your avatar after agreeing with this article  :-\
catch and release 99.9%!!!! (keep some small ones for a fish fry!)

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Jan 07, 2008, 07:34 PM »
Ice Fisher's,
If everyone that see this kind of activity does nothing about it..... You ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM Nothing gets me more upset than to witness this.  I take it as an insult to me that they would so openly do this in front me.  Kind of like saying I'm too scared of them to do anything or that I don't care about my Natural resources enough to do anything.  Well I have an answer to that !!!  I have a few of the area Conservation Officers numbers programmed in my cell phone and believe me They DO get called!!  2 of them I'm on first name basis and they know when I call it's for real.  Kind of make's their job's easier also, and you will be surprised at some helpful info or "tips" you might get in return! 

Just something to consider to help protect your resources for future generations.

Tight Lines all,
Steve

Just for the record, I do confront meat slobs. Every time I see it I do something. I even got my truck tires cut for my trouble once. I agree though, it is one thing to cry about poachers and another to do something about them! DNR is understaffed here, they need our eyes and ears on their side.

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 07, 2008, 08:46 PM »
Hi,
just curious why you have a big dead pike in your avatar after agreeing with this article  :-\

Just curious why your bashing a guy for ONE :tipup: big dead pike.  The guy sure wasnt condoning the harvest of every big fish you catch.  I also agree you can overfish an area and a balanced system is important as anything.  One of my grandfathers buddies used to get poked at by me im afraid to say because I saw him release a lot of big fish.  And I didnt get it back then when I was age 6-16.  But I have seen fisheries decline because to many ppl overfish.  We have several dams here that you can only catch finger sized perch crappies and gills.  And now were left with the delema of how to right the balance.  I just chewd my in-laws but because his group kept 4 pike over 10# out of a 2 acre pond in one day and they missed out on a really big one that same day..  I know how precious our little holes are and were always talking about how to maintain them.  In my opinion fishing out the big ones and stocking a few predators to knock out the little ones isnt it.  You are about to bash me for my avator but that fish came out of a sandpit the winter before a major road project along our interstate, and I was forwarned that that pit was gonna be drained.  Do I feel badly for the many big fish I kept over the years....Heck yeah!  But the thing that keeps me fishing is because I love it and I have learned from the men Ive known in years past and Im learning its not all about every fish kept but the fish caught, fish lost, the skills you learn, the places youve been and and the men youve know along the way

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 07, 2008, 10:43 PM »
twintrades ,
                      I'm just up the road in Eagle River.....where are you fishing???????
Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

Offline twintrades

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin for dinner
« Reply #35 on: Jan 08, 2008, 06:22 AM »
Im fishing around rhinelander. Mostly out by starks.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #36 on: Jan 08, 2008, 10:07 AM »
Hi,

Kyle,

That is the only big pike I have kept in the last 5 years.  I kept it to get mounted because I felt it is a trophy at 41".  That is the only reason for me keeping it.  I do keep some smaller pike to eat (less than 30"). 

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #37 on: Jan 08, 2008, 10:33 AM »
I did this topic a few years ago. Saw the same thing happening to my hometown lake.  here is the link:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=32432.0
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Wellsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release...keep only what you need.
« Reply #38 on: Jan 08, 2008, 10:45 AM »
Read what it says under my Avatar!!!
And for all those meat hunters out there that like to fish out lakes for a few bucks or a freezer full of unused fish.....I hear it's hot enough in hell to heat a pot of fryer oil!!!NEED DIRECTIONS

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #39 on: Jan 30, 2008, 09:19 PM »
Absolutely.

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #40 on: Jan 31, 2008, 08:21 AM »
adkRoy,

How is your lake doing after a couple of years? Has the bucket brigade returned?

dc

Offline gillkiller1125

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ahhhh.......... Ice
« Reply #41 on: Jan 31, 2008, 06:55 PM »
We have somewhat of a "rule" between the few people I fish with. It goes something like this: KEEP ONLY WHAT YOU AND YOUR FAMILY CAN EAT (without popping  ;)) IN ONE SETTING. Your always gunna have time to fish. Just my two cents.
Kids who hunt, fish, and trap, don't mug little old ladies.
Good luck, and tight lines to all.
Official Stomach of the MIRC

Offline jbscowboy99

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WOOHOO! ICE FISHING 2011!
« Reply #42 on: Jan 31, 2008, 08:27 PM »
i can tell you, you can MOST DEFINENTLY over fish a pond or lake.fish are getting scarce since fishing and icefishing is getting bigger and more popular. my grandfather has told me stories of him ad his brothers going to lake george 50 years ago and hammering fish all day long.big healthy beauts. now go there and its hit and miss. dont say you cant overfish an area.you can.
And God said " let there be ice" and all was at peace.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.