New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Commercial fishing in NY whats your take  (Read 10236 times)

Offline IrishIce99

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am number 1. All others are number 2 or lower."
Re: Commercial fishing in NY whats your take
« Reply #60 on: Dec 13, 2007, 04:16 PM »
Support local bait and tackle shops --> Jay-Ve <br />   

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #61 on: Dec 13, 2007, 07:07 PM »
we are almost there now
Funny thing, My wife says the same thing all the time.

Offline johnnywalleye

• IceShanty Rookie
  • some days u r the dog,others the hydrant
« Reply #62 on: Dec 13, 2007, 07:22 PM »
i guess i need clarification on what people construde as a commercial fisherman.is it the guys who have nets.or the guys who sit on a pail and catches fish with a hook???if we are discussin guys who fishes all winter long  with a jiggin pole to supplement his unemployment check,,too close to home ,to be very objective.but if we are discussion gill nets ,trot lines ok, im against 100%.i got out of elosa because of there stance on steel head restrictions.[its fine for boats to keep 3 steelies but shore fisherman can keep only2??]
salmon;the other pink meat

Offline mattmull10

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Not bad, but i can do better!
« Reply #63 on: Dec 13, 2007, 07:50 PM »
I think most are talking about the guy who does it like you or me do, but does it everyday and keeps his limit everyday.  everyone has a different opinion and we are never gonna solve this debate on here but i still say I don't like it.   

Matt
My new Motto for the New Year #@%& it i'm going fishing

JJ

« Reply #64 on: Dec 13, 2007, 07:55 PM »
i guess i need clarification on what people construde as a commercial fisherman.is it the guys who have nets.or the guys who sit on a pail and catches fish with a hook???if we are discussin guys who fishes all winter long  with a jiggin pole to supplement his unemployment check,,too close to home ,to be very objective.but if we are discussion gill nets ,trot lines ok, im against 100%.i got out of elosa because of there stance on steel head restrictions.[its fine for boats to keep 3 steelies but shore fisherman can keep only2??]
Actually it is only one rainbow/steelhead per day in the tributaries of Lake ontario, except the Niagara.

Offline LLDjr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Dec 13, 2007, 09:42 PM »
i think you should only take what your going to eat

Offline booboo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Dec 14, 2007, 05:58 AM »
I have a carry permit and had one encon guy try to give me a ticket for carrying a loaded gun in my car. He seemed upset when he finally was told by superiors that I was legal.

Huh?  ???

What's the deal with that?  Your carry permit allows the loaded handgun in the car.  You would think maybe the encon guys would know this, it's pretty basic!

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Dec 14, 2007, 06:47 AM »
     i would refer back to my original post in that, once financial gain is involved, greed takes over.  a lot of these guys are taking way more than their limit a lot of the time. they come up with all kinds of ways to get around the law. 
    There also seems to be a pervasive attitude out there that panfish can't be "fished out". Ask some guys who used to fish Lake St Catherine and Bomoseen in Vermont. They tell me the commercial guys ruined those lakes. Before anyone jumps on me, thats just what I heard.
    The one that really gets me, and I've heard this so many times I've lost count, is the guy who says " we used to be able to come here and take a limit every time, and now you can't hardly catch a fish" Every time I hear that one I want to whack the guy in the forehead and ask him if he listened to himself. Just because there is a limit doesn't mean you have to take one every time. I know guys, who I choose not to fish with anymore, who actually get mad if they don't get their limit. It becomes an obsession. At that point I would think it would stop being fun.
Again, just my 2 cents
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #68 on: Dec 14, 2007, 08:37 AM »
Huh?  ???

What's the deal with that?  Your carry permit allows the loaded handgun in the car.  You would think maybe the encon guys would know this, it's pretty basic!
That's what I am talking about. Alot of counties DON'T have carry. My son's says hunting and target shooting. This Encon officer used to sneak walk thru the woods to a sandpit where guys were sighting in their guns and try to catch guys shooting off the tops of their cars at targets. He would write them tickets. This one day I went in their to do some offhand shooting and he showed up. When I was done I reloaded and was ready to take off and he told me it was illegal to carry the handgun loaded. He checked the numbers on my permit with the gun and told me to keep it unloaded in the car. I nicely told him I was within my rights to keep it loaded and that's when the fun began. They don't like to be wrong you know. Too many gun laws and confusing even for some enforement officers.

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #69 on: Dec 14, 2007, 08:50 AM »
     i would refer back to my original post in that, once financial gain is involved, greed takes over.  a lot of these guys are taking way more than their limit a lot of the time. they come up with all kinds of ways to get around the law. 
    There also seems to be a pervasive attitude out there that panfish can't be "fished out". Ask some guys who used to fish Lake St Catherine and Bomoseen in Vermont. They tell me the commercial guys ruined those lakes. Before anyone jumps on me, thats just what I heard.
    The one that really gets me, and I've heard this so many times I've lost count, is the guy who says " we used to be able to come here and take a limit every time, and now you can't hardly catch a fish" Every time I hear that one I want to whack the guy in the forehead and ask him if he listened to himself. Just because there is a limit doesn't mean you have to take one every time. I know guys, who I choose not to fish with anymore, who actually get mad if they don't get their limit. It becomes an obsession. At that point I would think it would stop being fun.
Again, just my 2 cents
I agree with some of what you say . Trying to get arounf the legal limits etc. About the VT. lakes you mention. What is really the cause of the fishery decline ? Fishermen taking their limits or the Sonar chemical that caused the weed void ? I know lakes change and the one I live on is no exception. The chemical and weed harvester has in my opinion damaged this lake and our NEW LARGER harvester has changed the way guys need to fish in order to be productive. I know people that live here or are summer residents that say this lake doesn't have fish like before. Some of these guys have been here for many years and still haven't caught a 38 inch pike yet. Those kind of pike can be caught on a regular basis if you want to experiment. Fish are still here but catching them in numbers might mean trying different techniques.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.