The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: first catch  (Read 3665 times)

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: first catch
« Reply #30 on: Dec 07, 2007, 03:32 PM »
Do they travel far from their spots in the summer? I know a couple spots on a few lakes that I always catch some bass so if they are there in the winter to I could try there.

In summer they are dispersed which requires that they spread out per se'. Remember, on many of the 100-400 acre lakes in your area, the plankton migrates in early winter into the areas with first ice. They hate changing temps, like those where the warm water sinks and cool water rises after the water attains temps of 39 and below. So the canals, small bays and coves with first ice harbor alot of micro-organisms that are followed by the rest of the food chain. These lakes can have 80% of the water void of fish, while the fertile waters are over-flowing with the entire food chain.
In spring the fish begin to migrate back to the wide expanse of the lake and repopulate the void areas.

So, you may snatch a Bass or two from these spots in the summer, but not because of the same winter reasons.

JMO RL

Offline Bgreen02

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 07, 2007, 03:38 PM »
I'll have check in some the coves of the lakes then since they would freeze faster. I just want to catch a bass through the ice because I have never done it. Also, still waiting catch my first walleye through the ice and the ever elusive rock bass.

Team M.I.R.C Rock bass. It's whats for dinner.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #32 on: Dec 07, 2007, 06:01 PM »
Those pics are cool as it gets!
Keep up the good work and keep us up to date on how your doing.

:tipup:

NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.