Author Topic: Do you fish alone?  (Read 11866 times)

Offline Red

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Julie
Re: Do you fish alone?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 03, 2007, 04:25 PM »
There have been times that I have gone out by myself, everytime that I have there have always been other people out, some fishing, some walking dogs  ;D  Pretty nice sometimes to go out when you just need some time alone but for the most part, I prefer going out with other people.  Nice to socialize and meet new people and share in your FLAGS!!!!!!  :tipup:   ;D

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #31 on: Dec 03, 2007, 04:27 PM »
I prefer hunting and fishing with friends / relatives but if no one else can go I don't let that stop me! And especially when it comes to icefishing that is another way to make new friends!

NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #32 on: Dec 03, 2007, 04:47 PM »
I fish alone any chance I can!! I love the peace and quiet. In general I find most of man kind to be mildly annoying. (Not the guys on this site though ;D) I have one truly good friend, (and co-worker) That I'll fish with on a semi-regular basis. My wife says I could have more friends if I was nice to people. (I tell her thanks for the warning!!)

I believe that a man can only have a few close friends. The kind that you can call @ 2:00am if your truck breaks down 50mi. outside of town. The kind of friend that you can sit on a bucket 20ft. apart for 4 hours and the only words exchanged are the occasional "There's one", or "Missed 'em". Other people insist on "breaking the silence" with their thoughts on sports, or the state of America. If I want to converse on various topics with other guys I log on to IS, and I sit with my mouth closed and type my thoughts like a normal man. (all be it slow typing) I will on occasion attend an event centered around our fair sport, and truth be told I have a good time, but; (much like sticking your head under water) these events are best if short lived. These are just a few thoughts I have on the subject.

See 'ya on the ice.....I'll be the one sitting by self, no i.pod, no radio, just a rod, a flasher and a big smile on my face.

Nick Gaudet

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline Michiganmallard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 03, 2007, 04:57 PM »
I'm amazed at how many people ice fish alone... I though this post would be heavily tilted the other direction.  Shows ya what I know.  ;D

I'm with Blaine- I hate fishing alone.  Takes a lot of the fun out of it for me.  I do fish alone sometimes in warm weather but NEVER ice fish alone, even when the ice is a foot thick.  Just don't feel safe.  Oh, and when I do fish alone on open water my trusty pair of labs are always with me... they're pretty entertaining fishing partners and don't care if my "one more cast" is actually one or turns into one thousand.  :P

Member: Michigan Trappers Association, National Trappers Association, Michigan Duck Hunters Association, Wetlands Foundation of West Michigan,  Michigan United Conservation Clubs,  National Rifle Association, & Delta Waterfowl
Preserve our right to Hunt, Fish, & Trap.  BECOME A MEMBER.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 03, 2007, 05:00 PM »
I ALWAYS have a trustful buddy along on early and late (or iffy mid season) ice. Other then that, I have no problems fishing alone.

On a side note, I see a couple of responses that state they moved to a new state, and don't know anyone to fish with. The best place to go is the "state specific" area of Ice Shanty. There'salways people looking for someone to fish with.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline brewer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 03, 2007, 05:15 PM »
I usually have either my kids or a buddy along with me.  However, I have no problems fishing alone.  If I want to go, I'll let others know that I'm going and if they want to join me fine, if not, that is fine as well. I like to jig, but most of my fishing buddies like to set tip ups and set up camp in one spot.  I'll probably fish alone a little more this year because of that.  If I have the kids with me, I don't mind setting up in one spot.  Also depends upon my mood.  I deal with arseholes and idiots all day, so sometimes I like being alone for a few hours.

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 03, 2007, 05:17 PM »
Never - I don't care how much ice there is, something can happen at any time. Besides, I have a tourney partner and he would run over me if I went out alone - especially without him.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 03, 2007, 05:43 PM »
I prefer to fish and hunt as far as that goes alone.  I do enjoy getting together with others from different forums and have a ball.  For safety sake I know the danger is greater for being alone but I love the quiet and a lot of my fishing spots are farm ponds where no one is around.  As mentioned earlier about God I agree and usually discuss with him how beautiful a creation he made.  I never consider the ice safe.  I almost always wear a life jacket, ice picks and early and late season tie a rope to a tree but no ones around so what the heck.  Just makes me feel more comfortable.

Offline hard_water

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • rippin lips all over NY
« Reply #38 on: Dec 03, 2007, 06:00 PM »
I fish alone any chance I can!! I love the peace and quiet. In general I find most of man kind to be mildly annoying. (Not the guys on this site though ;D) I have one truly good friend, (and co-worker) That I'll fish with on a semi-regular basis. My wife says I could have more friends if I was nice to people. (I tell her thanks for the warning!!)

I believe that a man can only have a few close friends. The kind that you can call @ 2:00am if your truck breaks down 50mi. outside of town. The kind of friend that you can sit on a bucket 20ft. apart for 4 hours and the only words exchanged are the occasional "There's one", or "Missed 'em". Other people insist on "breaking the silence" with their thoughts on sports, or the state of America. If I want to converse on various topics with other guys I log on to IS, and I sit with my mouth closed and type my thoughts like a normal man. (all be it slow typing) I will on occasion attend an event centered around our fair sport, and truth be told I have a good time, but; (much like sticking your head under water) these events are best if short lived. These are just a few thoughts I have on the subject.

See 'ya on the ice.....I'll be the one sitting by self, no i.pod, no radio, just a rod, a flasher and a big smile on my face.

Nick Gaudet

Brother that almost made me shed a tear, i lost a good icefishing partner and all around good freind a couple years ago and that was us to a "t" not more than a few words mumbled between us, those were some of the best times i can remeber :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

water
GET THE NET !!!!!!!GET THE NET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #39 on: Dec 03, 2007, 06:10 PM »
Fishing alone ? Only if there are other anglers out on the ice . I would rather be with other people than alone I get bored fishing alone as a matter of fact I have gone out alone set up the tent drilled holes put up tip ups  started jiging with depth finder. lasted may be an hour. packed up and headed home . Now that I have put it wrighting NO!!.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline jig-o-matic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 03, 2007, 06:12 PM »
I fish alone alot. I would rather fish with someone but nobody I know fishes as much as me. They are all weak. One of the guys that works for me as a supervisor fished with me last year some. We had a ball. He's getting me bait as we speak!

Offline fishhawk

• IceShanty Rookie
  • EAT-SLEEP-FISH
« Reply #41 on: Dec 03, 2007, 06:18 PM »
I rather fish with agroup but i love to fish so if i have to fish alone so be it

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Night time is the right time!
« Reply #42 on: Dec 03, 2007, 06:19 PM »
I love to go fishing with friends. But, every now and then I like to go alone. Just to clear the head. Days like that aren't really about fishing. Just sit on a bucket and look around and take it all in. Beautiful! See ya next trip guys!
Looking forward to some "crappie" nights!

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #43 on: Dec 03, 2007, 06:29 PM »
I dont mind fishing alone at all....in fact, back in my younger days (and im only 47 now), I preferred to hunt and fish solo....it always helped me to reflect on what was going on in my life, and what was important, and I could really focus on the job at hand.....Now a days, with two boys, its much more fun to have one or both of them, as well as my father, who got me into this outdoors business many many years ago.  We have an absolute blast.  Some of those days a when the boys are a bit testy, etc....we say,,,next time just the two of us come out....but that usually doesnt happen.  I dont go as often as i used to, and its a real blast to not only come with my dad and boys, but also, if I can bring a neighbor or friend and show them what this craziness is about,,all the better. 

Offline sticks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Dec 03, 2007, 06:41 PM »
to me fishing alone can be much like drinking alone, if you do it quite often people might start saying you have an issue, BUT if you do it with a group(how ever big or small) people will just call it a get together  ;D

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #45 on: Dec 03, 2007, 09:35 PM »
Fishing alone I have found is the only way to slap the crap out of the fish or loose a monster fish at the hole to tell your friends about. Usually the whipped freind that canceled out at the last minute.

You know it's true, heres proof.
<<<< see that fish right there. freind backed out and I went alone, had to have a guy fishing near me take the pic.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline saranacjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Dec 03, 2007, 09:44 PM »
I'm fishing with my son's or with my nephew and brother in-law, and always having fun even if we don't catch anything it's just great to be outdoors and enjoying everything around you at that present time.

Offline ickirby

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Pirate!!
« Reply #47 on: Dec 03, 2007, 10:23 PM »
I'm amazed at how many people ice fish alone... I though this post would be heavily tilted the other direction.  Shows ya what I know.  ;D

I'm with Blaine- I hate fishing alone.  Takes a lot of the fun out of it for me.

I would have agreed with you a couple years ago when I had a couple great fishing partners to go out with at all hours no matter how far from the road or through how much snow.  Since I have moved however, and far away from my fishing partners, I have done a lot and I mean a lot of open water and ice fishing with people who are new to fishing.  I end up a lot of the time acting like a guide (providing bait, equipment, knot tying for hours and just when things are getting all set up or people are becoming a little bit self sufficient they want to leave because they are cold/bored/hungry/thirsty/ its getting dark etc...

Some times the simplicity of fishing alone is reward for all my long days of patience getting people into the sport.  I love company but I miss terribly what Gaudetskie mentioned earlier...

The kind of friend that you can sit on a bucket 20ft. apart for 4 hours and the only words exchanged are the occasional "There's one", or "Missed 'em".

See 'ya on the ice.....I'll be the one sitting by myself, no i.pod, no radio, just a rod, a flasher and a big smile on my face.

I came to this realization the other day when I was out with two friends fishing and I was sitting on my bucket in the wind and -25 blowing snow scooping out my whole with my bare hand and I was interrupted from staring at a school of perch on my showdown by

"Hey kirb!!!, Kirb!! How do you turn this heater up?"  Coming form my friends sitting inside my fish trap guide 30 feet away. 
Ian Kirby

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Dec 04, 2007, 09:20 AM »
i like alone part of the time. other times it's nice to have others around. over six inches and i feel safe going out alone. the peace and quite are very refreshing. also, not being on someone else's schedule. it's kind of like going camping/fishing for multiple days by yourself and not seeing or hearing anyone the whole time. i think everyone should at least try it.
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #49 on: Dec 04, 2007, 09:29 AM »
I don't mind fishing alone. I go out as much as possible and nost of the time I just grab my stuff and go. I like to fish with my friends, but thay can get in the way ar put me in a nonfishing mood, as I like to fish and I would rather fish then talk.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline Icepuppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Dec 04, 2007, 04:36 PM »
I fish alone quite a bit due to not having too many friends into fishing in general, and those who are are wimps in the cold.  I also love the serenity of it, walking out on your own in the morning with no one on the lake is surreal.  I also enjoy the solitude through the day, my lake of choice during the week quite often has no one else on it all day, just me and the wolves in the distance or the occasional deer.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #51 on: Dec 04, 2007, 04:51 PM »
I got real irritated one day while I was fishing by myself ... I didn't want anyone fishing that close to me (!??!!!).

NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #52 on: Dec 04, 2007, 06:36 PM »
....walking out on your own in the morning with no one on the lake is surreal.  I also enjoy the solitude through the day, my lake of choice during the week quite often has no one else on it all day, just me and the wolves in the distance or the occasional deer.

Now THAT sounds like a good time! ;D

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline ULTRAlite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #53 on: Dec 05, 2007, 05:53 PM »

Now THAT sounds like a good time! ;D

X2
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r174/cory_r_t/ablogo1xf11-1.gif[/img]     

VIDEO >> The 2010 Season Begins - EARLY ICE SESSION

Offline Pete379

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Dec 05, 2007, 06:22 PM »
Probably about 50/50 for me.

I do enjoy having friends to go with and enjoy spending time with them.

Also I really enjoy the serenity and solitude of being by myself to think and reflect some.

In other words it is ALL good as long as I'm fishing the hardwater.   :thumbsup:
...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy.  ~William Sherwood Fox

Offline guzz

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #55 on: Dec 05, 2007, 07:03 PM »
i fish alone 99 percent of the time.open water,and ice.and do alot of night fishing.nothing like just getting to a  lake or river right as it's getting dark.everybody else is going in,and your just heading out.crowd control at it's best.and i feel way more confident in catching bigger fish under the cover of darkness.a guy at work told me i should find a nice cave and settle down.

Offline crappiekid24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Dec 05, 2007, 07:08 PM »
I always fish with someone when it comes to ice fishing. Its just more fun with friends.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Dec 05, 2007, 07:20 PM »
I do a lot of fishing on the solitary side as well. It's hard to concentrate on jigging up finicky panfish with too much chatter going on. It is also fun to be fishing with just one buddy, especially if you're the only guys on a section of a lake. Haven't done a lot of late night fishing, but I do put out a lantern on many occasions. Often I'm the last guy to leave; and  it is surprising how many nice fish will bite when it is too dark to see. One night I spotted a fish on the Vex that was suspended 4 ft. from bottom in 10 F.O.W. Sure that it must be a crappie I jigged above it with immediate results. To my surprise it turned out to be an 18'' pickerel, not what I was after, but a lively battle in the dark! Blue gills on some lakes will bite way longer than most people fish for them.

Offline TheRo0sTer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Dec 05, 2007, 08:06 PM »
I've fished by myself to get away when the ice was 18" thick. There are also times when I have a day off and all my buddies are fishing so alone is my only option. One time I was the only person on the ice. Other times I was by myself with others not to far off.
Anthony

Offline PACKMAN241982

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IF THE BEERS SLUSHY GET A STRAW! FLATLANDER
« Reply #59 on: Dec 05, 2007, 08:07 PM »
I usually fish alone due to the fact that no one wants to get  up in the morning and get on the hardwater. It usually doesnt bother me at all. I am used to fishing and hunting by  myself. It makes things alot easier that way. But now that my father isnt working the crazy shifts anymore. Its time for me and the old man to get back to our old ways like it was before i went into the marines. Now that im out its been a non stop ride of fishing and hunting. The one good part of having someone with you is that they can attest to the size of they big ones that you catch.
ALRIGHT ALRIGHT!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.