Author Topic: Buying a shanty  (Read 9162 times)

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Buying a shanty
« Reply #30 on: Oct 07, 2007, 09:42 AM »
money asside...what I need to know is can one man pull this thing around with all the gear by hand??

I have the guide and usually have not troubles pulling by hand, even with it loaded.  I will not lie that if you have to pull it through deep snow it will be a bear to drag.  On hard packed snow or clear ice it will pull effortlessly. 
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline CTFishes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Oct 09, 2007, 02:45 PM »
I bought a used Frabil Ranger XLS last year and love it.If it was not used and such a  great deal I would not have purchased .real glad I did buy it now ! LOL

Sets up in minutes even in big winds (just remember to anchor it first)

The sled holds all my gear and than some.It is very easy to pull on the ice and in light snow ,anything deeper than 8" it becomes a bear to pull and we use the snowmobile.I can easily load/unload it into the back of a Dodge Dakota myself.

The two adjustable swivel seats are comfortable  and work well,being able to take them right out is a big plus.I have had 4 guys fishing in it but it was a bit cramped,perfect for 2-3 guys.

Holds the heat great,especially if you take the time to slush/snow the bottom flaps to the ice creating a sealed wind barrier ,I use my small Coleman heater and it stays about 70 degrees no problem.Plenty of room for my coleman stove and cooking as well.My shanty is pretty comfy when set up.

My friends joke how once I go into my shanty I do not come out for hours,no need to LOL.

By far this is the best  portable shanty I have used or been in.I have had many portables and a few hardwall shacks over the years and so far this Frabill is my favorite.

I do plan on adding a runner kit to the bottom of the sled for added protection this year.

Offline Kodiakman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start everyday as if it has a purpose.
« Reply #32 on: Oct 09, 2007, 02:58 PM »
Has anyone tried these Pak Shack's?  The Scheel's in Rapid City was selling out of them as fast as they got them in.

http://www.naturevisioninc.com/shop_nvi/home.php?cat=26

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Oct 09, 2007, 03:06 PM »
I fish a Frabill 6120 Trekker. It is a two person model, and even though I fish by myself 90% of the tme, I like the extra space. We have fished three people in it, somewhat cramped, but can be done.
Since we are limited to foot travel here in PA, I wanted something that was fairly easy to pull,which it is. I want windows in my shelter, and some brands lack them. The fabric seems fairly heavy duty, I compeatly destroyed a clam 2000 in one season ( I fish often and am hard on equipment) the Frabill will hold up for several more seasons.
But I will agree with what others have said about geting a flipover model.
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline bulldawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Oct 09, 2007, 05:17 PM »
I fish a Frabill 6120 Trekker. It is a two person model, and even though I fish by myself 90% of the tme, I like the extra space. We have fished three people in it, somewhat cramped, but can be done.
Since we are limited to foot travel here in PA, I wanted something that was fairly easy to pull,which it is. I want windows in my shelter, and some brands lack them. The fabric seems fairly heavy duty, I compeatly destroyed a clam 2000 in one season ( I fish often and am hard on equipment) the Frabill will hold up for several more seasons.
But I will agree with what others have said about geting a flipover model.
hey byron, what did you pay for the frabill if you dont mind me asking? i see that model is on sale at cabelas for under $255. i dont know if thats online only or not as shipping would probably be alot to make it worthwhile
I dont always drink beer, but when I do I like to drink alot of it.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Oct 09, 2007, 05:24 PM »
Bulldawger, You should give them a call and find out what shipping will be. That's a good price for that shanty.
Ken                                          

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #36 on: Oct 10, 2007, 03:04 AM »
Well...I've read all the posts and I'm still thinking of buying an Otter rather than one of the other brands for several reasons......
1. They're American made....I know they are are expensive....but this country has been selling out on us for too long and if I can help keep a few American folk working...I'll do it. I happen to work for an American tool builder.
2. I've never heard anything bad about them.
3. I like the idea of having a "bench" style seat....I ain't getting any younger...and the idea of an afternoon nap on a bench style seat when things are slow seems like a good idea...LOL...(not to mention that the Wife, Myself and the dog can all sit there in comfort if they're with me)......just my $.02...WK ;)
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #37 on: Oct 10, 2007, 03:26 AM »
Sorry...I forgot to mention that I currently own (but seldom use) a Frabill Venture. It's alright on a calm day... but you might as well set up a high-rise office complex when it's windy. It's kind of a pain in the @ss to set up (you pretty much need two people >:() and you definitely need to anchor it down. I've been out on days when you had to have one person stay inside it while the other person anchored it or it would just take off!!!! I usually don't take it unless the wife and/or a friend and his wife are with us. The women always need a place to " go pee in a can"... :D.. or just get in out of the cold and gossip. Other than that... it is roomy and the black material draws heat so it stays relatively warm inside on a sunny day....WK
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline J_Jaacks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Oct 10, 2007, 06:46 AM »
I started out with a Clam 2000 as it was a cheap starter.  It was nice to be out of the weather. But as mentioned here before, if not anchored can go across a lake in no time. I bought a couple of the anchor screws and drilled two hole in it and that was enough.  It is also very challenging to set up by one person in the wind.  Also hauling your stuff across the ice or down the bank does make it entertaining.  Does pull nicely in the snow and can be hauled in just about any vehicle.

Tired of fighting the Clam 2000 setup and not carrying gear well, I got a Yukon last year.  I started looking at a flip over since that is what a friend of mine had and he did not have the chore of setting up like I did.  Since he was looking for a better flip over as well we both decided on the Yukon.  I think that the big reason for that was the Trap Link feature.  We could take our kids or just us and be able to talk without yelling and having everyone hear you.  Like someone else mention here, the Trap Link also makes for a nice window to let air in when needed.

Also, in our area there is no one that carries the Otter houses.  I have seen them since and them seem pretty nice too.  The things that caught my eye on the Otter was the fabric on the front of the tub to keep the wind out.  That seemed like a nice feature.  They also have the square tubing which I think would be a little bit better than the round tube.  What I didn't like about Otter is the math when determining what the cost is.  I don' know if they still do this or not, but they tub is not part of the house price.  I like how the X series are better made, but I don't like the price or weight.  If I had it to do over again I would probably get another Yulon, but would look at an Otter as well.

I ended up getting my Yukon at the local BPS and the rewards points from it got me a nice set of bibbers.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Oct 10, 2007, 07:32 AM »
I like the guide myself, but fresh snow sucks dragging thru. I would say that would be true no matter what kind you bought, runner kits or not.

hard h2o,

I have used the trap link occationally with a couple buddies. It can be pretty fun if your passin around some sippin' tea. ;D ;D
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #40 on: Oct 10, 2007, 02:48 PM »
Well...I've read all the posts and I'm still thinking of buying an Otter rather than one of the other brands for several reasons......
1. They're American made....I know they are are expensive....but this country has been selling out on us for too long and if I can help keep a few American folk working...I'll do it. I happen to work for an American tool builder.
3. I like the idea of having a "bench" style seat....I ain't getting any younger...and the idea of an afternoon nap on a bench style seat when things are slow seems like a good idea...LOL...(not to mention that the Wife, Myself and the dog can all sit there in comfort if they're with me)......just my $.02...WK ;)
My buddy owns one with one of those so called padded benches and all I can say is good luck at the end of the day when benchass creeps in on ya. NOT FUN AT ALL :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline juniatabassman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Oct 10, 2007, 03:21 PM »
I bought a fish trap pro last year loved it had no trouble pulling it around. i also got a hole in it and emailed clam they sent me extra material asap at no charge don't know it the other companies will do that. my experience with clam has been good so far made for a great fishing season.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #42 on: Oct 10, 2007, 08:44 PM »

I can't say for sure where I read it, but I read that this year either the tent or framework for the Otters are being made overseas. I bought a new Frabill a couple of years ago and was pretty shocked to see a Made in China label in it. I went back to the store with the intention of taking it back and exchanging it for a Clam and they were made in China also. At least Otter held on longer than the rest. Years ago we should have gotten together and insisted on buying made in USA or Canada goods and we wouldn't be putting up with this junk from China. Sorry for the rant, but this stuff gets me all wound up. 
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Oct 10, 2007, 08:49 PM »
I do believe the eskimo brand is made in Cumberland, Wisconsin.  I have not seen any chinese labels as of yet. I even know a few people that work there.     

Offline XII Outdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • never fear the night, "The Star" shines bright
« Reply #44 on: Oct 10, 2007, 09:49 PM »
I bought a Fish Trap Pro last year and that was the best purchase I made last year.  Its perfect if you like a small shanty that you can move easily but yet provides plenty of room
XII Outdoors............Ti mes-Two Outdoors

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #45 on: Oct 11, 2007, 12:51 AM »
 My buddy owns one with one of those so called padded benches and all I can say is good luck at the end of the day when benchass creeps in on ya. NOT FUN AT ALL :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:
[/quote]Thanks dabber -doo... I'll keep that in mind. I probably could use one of those soft, cushion-type heat seats to help stop "Benchbutt"...LOL....WK

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #46 on: Oct 11, 2007, 01:10 AM »

I can't say for sure where I read it, but I read that this year either the tent or framework for the Otters are being made overseas. I bought a new Frabill a couple of years ago and was pretty shocked to see a Made in China label in it. I went back to the store with the intention of taking it back and exchanging it for a Clam and they were made in China also. At least Otter held on longer than the rest. Years ago we should have gotten together and insisted on buying made in USA or Canada goods and we wouldn't be putting up with this junk from China. Sorry for the rant, but this stuff gets me all wound up. 
It wouldn't surprise me if Otter has gone the wayside as well. It isn't so much that the American people could refuse to buy Chinese...It's that if the greater majority of corporate America decides to have their goods manufactured there...you (as a consumer) have a limited choice that's getting smaller month by month. Go to any major retailer and try to find American made goods....it's pretty tough. You can "rant" if you like, but I'm afraid that the days of American manufacturing are on their death bed. I have worked for American tool builders all my life and I personally saw this "Cancer" spreading beyond control. Sorry to get off topic. I guess I'll have to make my purchase decision based on what best suits my needs while offering the quality that we all should insist on no matter where a product is made.....WK

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #47 on: Oct 11, 2007, 01:45 PM »
LAst year I did the info gathering thing o nthe huts.
The otters appear to have a cheaper price, That is till you add the all the cost like seats, cover and hardware for towing.

The best made product from last year was the Frabill, I have noticed the newer trac glide systems cost almost 60-70 bucks more for a similar unit as last year.
If you buy one locally there is not shipping cost. My local shop got me one for the cheapest Ive seen. once you include the shipping cost.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #48 on: Oct 11, 2007, 02:08 PM »
alas  none are really cheap  :(   I presently own a frabril Caboose I used a few times last year   Nice    as long as you can drive out.  and this year I bought a otter village   prob gonna be my #1 portable this year  we'll see
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #49 on: Oct 11, 2007, 03:24 PM »
I think a Frabill Caboose in the receiver hitch of my ATV would be a fun way to go. I would have to cut down on the gear that I take along though.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Oct 22, 2007, 03:59 PM »
ok, im gonna deviate from the beaten path....I paid $200 for my HT Polar Magnum. It has plenty of room for 2 Adults and a small child, weights the same as the rest in its size class. I threw on some ski's on the bottom for hand towing over snow. Pulls like a charm behind the wheeler. Sets up in under a minute with the wind blaring.Holds all my gear including the auger under the provided cover. it came with a tow bar (not a $$ accessory like most). It did come with 2 cahirs, but i must admin they are worthless.....I had read how bad they were before and like stated the rivits broke on first outing.  But for what I paid for it, I bought a shanty, 4 new tip ups, 3 rod/reel combos a hand auger (upgraded this summer to power...YES!) for under what most people paid just for their shanty.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.