The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: 2007 / 2008 Bait Tank  (Read 14359 times)

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: 2007 / 2008 Bait Tank
« Reply #30 on: Nov 28, 2007, 04:19 PM »
very well  I may have lost 100 150  but thats expected  esp after all this time   lol  all are growing strong and healthy  another 47 days and some will come to their demise!!  and earn their keep
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Snowfun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag!!!
« Reply #31 on: Nov 28, 2007, 07:21 PM »
i was wondering if the tank could stay out in the garage?  Does the water circulate enough to keep it from freezing?  I generally put a small aquarium aerator in my foam minnow bucket, works o.k.But I also want to keep mine in large quantities.  I have to cut the pond open to get my live well out each time I go to get my minnows out.Pain in the arss! 
I put a small aquaruim heater,cranked all the way down, in mine and it runs in my shed all winter with only a light icing in the corners. ;D ;D
Feeding birds, one pike at a time...

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Nov 29, 2007, 06:53 AM »
lol  but your down in the tropics   lol

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Night time is the right time!
« Reply #33 on: Nov 29, 2007, 08:48 PM »
My new place has well water. I have a 70gal rubbermade tank. Made a filter with a square kitty litter bucket with f/g insulation for floss. Going to add charcoal once I get more bait in the tank. With well water should I be adding any conditioner or other chemicals? ???
Looking forward to some "crappie" nights!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Nov 30, 2007, 06:37 AM »
airrate it well!  as well water's dissolved oxygen is low!   I add salt  every few weeks   and also conditioner   just for the benefit of the slime coat the fish need   the conditioner was on sale at walmart for about 1.75   lol   bought 6 -7 of em   lifetime supply

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #35 on: Dec 11, 2007, 09:28 AM »
bump

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #36 on: Feb 05, 2008, 11:21 AM »
airrate it well!  as well water's dissolved oxygen is low!   I add salt  every few weeks   and also conditioner   just for the benefit of the slime coat the fish need   the conditioner was on sale at walmart for about 1.75   lol   bought 6 -7 of em   lifetime supply
my pump makes alot of current does this affect the bait it seems this year being on and off the ice that is i lost a lot plus they are swimmin' on their sides helps with the toothy critters lol 300gallontank 360gph pump any ideas   mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline 5Flagsup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 05, 2008, 11:25 AM »
I have a 80 gallon Tropical fish tank and have had a lot of experience of keeping fish alive... Walmart has filters for 30-60 gal tanks for under $20.  I took a 50 gal plastic barrel and cut it in half and keep it out in my garage I also use an aquarium fish tank heater that has a thermostat and keep the water at 50.   Soon as I get my camera back I will post some pictures...

Great Idea using the pond filters! never thought of that one.. they might be cheaper...

Good luck
Mitch

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Feb 05, 2008, 11:42 AM »
Mainehazmat, I built a tank like your 2 weeks ago and it's working well so far. I  used a good sized pond pump for recirculation. Made a pvc "T" with holes in it to pump the water through. Any idea's on a filter set up? Maybe run the water out of the pump through a basket on top. Will household insulation or that pillow batting work to filter the water? Can't find any pond supplies this time of year.
  My homemade filter works great! A square plastic kitty litter box,crushed rock in the bottom and f/g insulation on top. Drill a bunch of holes in the bottom. Filter/airator combined. Runs crystal clear and no bait loss. In well water. :o

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 05, 2008, 01:41 PM »
Hey Gamedog, The stone is just 1" crushed run of the mill. And yes, run the pump for a while before you put in the bait. I have shiners that have been in there since 1/2 way thru november. Smelts since Jan 1st! Very pleased! Best set up for me so far, by far! ;)

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Feb 06, 2008, 10:15 AM »
Glad it worked out for ya Gamedog! Now go trap some bait and start saving your money. Rich.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.