New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: "Politics suck buttermilk"  (Read 7831 times)

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
Re: "Politics suck buttermilk"
« Reply #30 on: Mar 26, 2007, 01:52 PM »
im afraid the last vote proved that which i had hoped wasnt true...sportsmen dont care as much as the anti's do.

You hit the nail on the head with that, Flock.

This whole world has become a "Me Society." It's all about "Me" and "What I want" and "I Don't Care About You." The duck hunters in Mich were as "ME" as the bow hunters (NYB) are in NY. Some site members are expressing their "Me" in  their dissatisfaction with political posts. Don't ruin "My" site with things "I" don't want to read.

Too damn lazy to have to exercise their own judgement as to whether or not to read them if you ask me.

If I have offended you with this post maybe you should examine yourself!
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #31 on: Mar 26, 2007, 01:55 PM »
It's OK, only Dwayne discriminates against numbers under names. The rest of us accept you as you are!
 :)

We are very accepting of people in the MIRC and NYRC Shanty.  ;D

I know alot of people who deleted their accounts due to people slamming them like this. That's ok. But do not go calling a group of people who like to hang out, not bother anyone on here but our selves, a bunch of clowns. Fishing is more than catching fish. It, unfortunately does involve politics. I don't know about you but I like my right to hunt, fish, trap, and bear arms. What better way to keep informed than a forum that talks about the things I love to do. As for people BS'ing. We do it in our own little shanty where it bothers no one. So what if the threads with the "highest post counts" are in the MIRC shanty. How does that hurt you?
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline The Ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Slime?
« Reply #32 on: Mar 26, 2007, 02:22 PM »

This whole world has become a "Me Society." It's all about "Me" and "What I want" and "I Don't Care About You." The duck hunters in Mich were as "ME" as the bow hunters (NYB) are in NY. Some site members are expressing their "Me" in  their dissatisfaction with political posts. Don't ruin "My" site with things "I" don't want to read.

Too d**n lazy to have to exercise their own judgement as to whether or not to read them if you ask me.

This is an awesome post.  I personally don't hunt, but I worked for a deer processor for a couple of years and have family and friends that do.  I agree that there's a lot of "me" talk.  While many hunters didn't see the point of retaining the right to hunt doves (Prop 3), I don't think many realized, if anti-hunting groups can win a small victory such as this, it opens the door to bigger things for them.  Would the outcome have been different if the potential proposal was to ban deer hunting? Most certainly, but the anti's aren't going to start off with something that big.   :-\
And, I agree with your other point, don't like it, don't read it. ;)

"Honey, I got something!  You better get the net, it might be a rockbass!  Oh, nevermind, it's just the anchor."
Official First Lady of MIRC - That's why I roll with such a handsome mantourage.
Stuck in the shanty while the kids who misbehave and start fights are allowed to play.

Offline MXFISHER656

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Mar 26, 2007, 03:08 PM »
I am with rgfixit on this one.  The New York general board and this whole site in general has gone downhill drastically in the past year or so.  A few years ago it was an informative site with 90+ percent of the material fishing based.  Now the top 4 out of 5 posts on the NY site are polititical arguements, you have guys using the website as their personal chat rooms (mirc), many of the clowns with the "   number" below their avatar stir up the pot like a bunch of school girls, good people have left, etc...etc...

The only reason I don't delete my account is because I keep hoping it will get better.

This was created by Scott to be a fishing site...leave it as one or just leave.  That is my opinion for what ever little bit it is worth.

Just checking to make sure the number is still under my name........

It's been said many times before, don't let the shanty door hit where the good lord split ya!

Looks like your the one stirring the pot now!

Offline PCB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Mar 26, 2007, 03:45 PM »

Too d**n lazy to have to exercise their own judgement as to whether or not to read them if you ask me.

why do you think we have different categories on iceshanty?... such as for the different states, different species, different styles of fishing, etc.... why not have one specifically for politics?
'Its either me or ice fishing' she says... i still have my jiffy

Offline PCB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Mar 26, 2007, 03:47 PM »
One more thing... although it is good to be aware of whats going on around the country... how is a local Michigan resident going to help the problems of the sportsmen of NYS, vice versa.... just somethin to think about

flockshot

« Reply #36 on: Mar 26, 2007, 03:54 PM »
not so much us helping...but as sportsmen its good to see what type of things are going on so we can stop them when they hit us...or vice versa.  its good to stay attuned..if michigan sportsmen have the backs of new york sports men..i would love to think that new yorkers would have our backs...and sometime soon, issues will become national, and we will all need eachother..maybe not in this instance, but if someone standing outside the issue can look and say, this guy is bull crap, maybe that will help someone who is directly effected see the light so to speak.

Offline doctariAFC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Stop yer squealin' and start reelin'!"
« Reply #37 on: Mar 26, 2007, 03:54 PM »
One more thing... although it is good to be aware of whats going on around the country... how is a local Michigan resident going to help the problems of the sportsmen of NYS, vice versa.... just somethin to think about
I'm not sure I understand this question.... ???

The example of what happened in Michigan is a stark reminder that we are under attack.

Michiganders just lost the dove hunters as their allies.  One less group to stand up and fight for our rights.  The more we lose, through "It doesn't affect me" or through the "Me" syndrome JerryofWNY stated so perfectly, the harder it is to protect our rights come the next fight.

Perhaps a thread be added to each of the State-specific sub-threads.  R&C, General, Outdoors Legislation.  That would accommodate each State's needs to discuss and get educated on the legislative happenings which can affect your rights, while still maintaining a place for General chit chat.  I would only request that these threads be limited to politics of the Great Outdoors, not crossing into the topics such as religion or abortion or other arguments that would serve no purpose.  Outdoors legislation, fishing, hunting, trapping, shooting sports, etc, all affect us.  That would be a good way to go.
Ol' Doctari
2014 Recording Sec Erie County Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs
2014 Secretary Western NY Environmental Federation
Erie County Fisheries Advisory Board
Region 9 Rep NYSCC Big Game Committee - 2014 Co-Chair
Member NYSOWA
Member Northern Chautauqua Conservation Club
Member Audubon Fishing Club
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline doctariAFC

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Mar 26, 2007, 04:09 PM »
not so much us helping...but as sportsmen its good to see what type of things are going on so we can stop them when they hit us...or vice versa.  its good to stay attuned..if michigan sportsmen have the backs of new york sports men..i would love to think that new yorkers would have our backs...and sometime soon, issues will become national, and we will all need eachother..maybe not in this instance, but if someone standing outside the issue can look and say, this guy is bull crap, maybe that will help someone who is directly effected see the light so to speak.
Well said!  On the money.  You know where I'll be when and if I receive the call from Michigan...  Right there in the trenches with you!
Ol' Doctari
Member NYSOWA
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Mar 26, 2007, 04:14 PM »
uhhhhh, yea,well, the ways are too numerous to name them all. But the Bait Ban that is sweeping the country, will eventually impact, and maybe impede us all sooner or later. I have been educated by each side of this issue, because it was discussed on this forum. There are many other political issues that I have either been educated on, or visa versa. Many of these issue may become nationalized. I must admit, there is not much to think about here. It should be obvious, as to the benefits of sharing local legislative issues and agendas. Unless you care not, what happens to our rights as sportsmen and women, then I could understand taking time to contemplate how national/local issues can educate and prepare us all for whats around the corner.
As Hard Water Fred stated, why try to moderate everything? Just like liberal Government, bigger and more wastefull. As Fred said, if you don't want to read it, skip it. But do not censur the sight for the thousands that are interested in reading those posts, and educating themselves, or hearing a different point of view.
Keep up the good work Ice Shanty and Mods.  ;)

Offline tughillmcd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Mar 26, 2007, 04:14 PM »

What are they teaching you in college poor boy? It's called networking. It's how things are done in today's world. You study what works and what fails and hopefully you will learn not to fail. You can even use it here in a fishing post, try this presentation, color, bait etc.

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #41 on: Mar 26, 2007, 04:16 PM »
I think that's thinking too small !
It's not any state helping another state , it's sportsman helping sportsman .
Like it's been said before , we all need to be together on issues such as this and we all need to voice our OPINION as a group not a state .
PETA don't care what state your in , they will fight for their cause no matter what state they choose to start their heckling in and we as a group of SPORTSMAN need to get on that same track and support our cause{s} .
That's how groups like PETA stay so powerful they stick together as a group not a state .

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Mar 26, 2007, 04:17 PM »
What are they teaching you in college poor boy? It's called networking. It's how things are done in today's world. You study what works and what fails and hopefully you will learn not to fail. You can even use it here in a fishing post, try this presentation, color, bait etc.
Well Stated Tughill!

What are they teaching in college?!

Offline PCB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Mar 26, 2007, 05:13 PM »
I think that's thinking too small !
It's not any state helping another state , it's sportsman helping sportsman .
Like it's been said before , we all need to be together on issues such as this and we all need to voice our OPINION as a group not a state .
PETA don't care what state your in , they will fight for their cause no matter what state they choose to start their heckling in and we as a group of SPORTSMAN need to get on that same track and support our cause{s} .
That's how groups like PETA stay so powerful they stick together as a group not a state .

good point

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #44 on: Mar 27, 2007, 08:13 AM »
Unfortunately because of well organized groups like Peta that is the way we have to think .
Not as a state or province but as a group of outdoor enthusiast in order to be heard and taken serious .

Offline doctariAFC

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Mar 27, 2007, 08:35 AM »
Unfortunately because of well organized groups like Peta that is the way we have to think .
Not as a state or province but as a group of outdoor enthusiast in order to be heard and taken serious .
Yes, and the anti's are very well organized and very well financed. 

In order to defeat your enemy, one must first know the enemy.  If you perform some google searches you will find all the answers you need in terms of their organization, their network.

We are far larger and have far more financial resources than our opponents.  The one thing we lack is unity and organziation.  We have organizations fighting for our rights for certain, but a unified front is something we have been lacking, despite all of us sharing the deepest respect and love for the great outdoors.

THis issue, Grannis has brought all of us together.  We now more than ever need to remain together, and build our ranks to protect the future of conservation.  We owe that much to our children's children.
Ol' Doctari
Member NYSOWA
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline irishjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Favorite Fishin Partner!
« Reply #46 on: Mar 27, 2007, 08:39 AM »
"Politics suck buttermilk!"

That's a quote from our oldest member here at the Shanty. It's never been more true.

I'm really tired of all the politically oriented treads this year.  I want ice fishing threads to view and add to. Things have changed here. We used to quietly shun the three no no's of confrontational conversation, politics, religion and the other one. In the past, political threads were relegated to an off topic forum where those who wished to debate could do so without cluttering up our means of escape, a simple ice fishing forum.

Most of us come here to put away the stresses of daily drudgery for a while and immerse ourselves in our passion for fishing. I have plenty of time and opportunity to ponder serious matters. I really don't like reading about it here.

I've put a lot of time into this site along with a small group of others. The impetus has always been, promoting fishing. 

I appreciate activists. I am an activist. I taught Hunter education in NY for many years and helped craft the Hunter Apprentice Program. I supported the NYCC through several shooting clubs to which I belonged. I've written many letters to our public Representatives voicing my support and opposition to proposed legislation. I worked in a gun shop as a gunsmith. I love hunting and fishing. I've been known to get on the soap box here as well.

Still, I'd like to suggest that we curb the political threads here and keep this site as intended. A forum for ice fishing and the exchange of ice fishing information. It's only a few members who continually start these threads and I'm sure that in your minds it's the right thing to do.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but, find a political forum to start your debates and stick to fishing here.

RG

HAS ANYONE LISTENED TO RG ??? FIND A POLITICAL FORUM , HE STARTED THIS SITE TO TALK FISHING !
I spent all my money on fishin,huntin,and beer  , everything else was just a waste!
TEAM MIRC NYRC Official Mic Of Mirc

Offline BlindSquirrel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Mar 27, 2007, 08:40 AM »
I like buttermilk especially in pancakes. 8)
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

Offline doctariAFC

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Mar 27, 2007, 08:44 AM »
HAS ANYONE LISTENED TO RG ??? FIND A POLITICAL FORUM , HE STARTED THIS SITE TO TALK FISHING !
I see from your avatar you have a son that is following in your footsteps as an ice angler...  That's fantastic!

Would you like his son to embrace the outdoors sports, too?

This is one of the greatest threats to our heritage and our natural resources as we have ever seen.  If you wanna keep talking about fishing, and more importantly keep on fishing, then knowledge of the threats to those is pretty darned important, wouldn't you agree?

For if we lose our rights to hunt and fish, what is the purpose of this site?  What is the worth of your efforts to pass along the conservation heritage?
Ol' Doctari
Member NYSOWA
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #49 on: Mar 27, 2007, 08:46 AM »
This is a conservation minded forum and is looking out for those of us that wish to try and protect hunting and fishing !
NO LIKE , NO READ !

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #50 on: Mar 27, 2007, 08:49 AM »

Where the heck have you been? Members can't just start a political forum (board). It has to be set up by the site administrator. RG didn't start this site, Scott did. RG has been a long time member and has generously donated his time as a moderator for several years. I'm sure if Scott would put up a Legislative Actions board, much like the Conditions and Reports board, RG could move all these "Political Posts" to it so those who don't want to be bothered wouldn't have to read them. Hey wait a minute, you don't have to read them now as has been said many times before!
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Mar 27, 2007, 08:55 AM »
There are three types of people:

1. Those that watch things happen,
2. Thse that make things happen,

3. Those that ask, what the HE!! happened.

As our hunting and fishing priveledges and rights continue to diminish, what type do you want to be? Those that could care less about politics, will be asking "What happened?" If you have the technical ability to be on this site, then you have the ability to be engaged. Make things happen, don't watch PETA and the Legislature trample on what we all love most. Understanding what is coming down the pipe is very important. Those of you that could care less about politics, owe it to those that do to allow untethered access to these types of forums and debates. These are the guys fighting for your rights while your asking what happened. Give these guys that care about the future of our sporting activities a break, and better yet, give them support, not criticism because they care, and are willing to make things happen as you watch!

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #52 on: Mar 27, 2007, 08:58 AM »
 :clap: :clap: VERY WELL SAID  :clap: :clap:

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Mar 27, 2007, 09:21 AM »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:well said, i couldn't have said it better. if you no like, you no read. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

steve

Offline tughillmcd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Mar 27, 2007, 09:52 AM »
I must agree that "Politics suck buttermilk", but in todays world we are forced into it. If we don't work together and defend our rights they won't be there to defend or enjoy. Then again, this may not be all that new when we look at history.

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately"  Benjamin Franklin made this statement the signing of the Declaration of Independence

He made the following quote also

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"

Your liberty is fishing, hunting, trapping, and many other uses of the outdoors. Your temporary safety is to sit quietly and watch the river go by without paying attention to the fact the access to the outdoors is being taken away so you will no longer be able to enjoy it as you do today.

I , and I believe most of the "politically active" posters here, would just as soon spend our valuable time hunting, fishing, trapping, and enjoying the outdoors in our own special ways, but if we don't donate some of that time to preserving our Liberty today, we will have no Safety tomorrow.

Again I must agree that "Politics suck buttermilk", but it everywhere in the the world we live in, as well as the one that our forefathers lived in, and thankfully bestowed upon us.

Freedom isn't free, and neither is the preservation of our long enjoyed traditions.

flockshot

« Reply #55 on: Mar 27, 2007, 10:16 AM »
i wish we had an orginazation like peta fighting FOR our hunting rights! their unity is insane, hunters have many conservation groups..but lack a unified front. PEOPLE FOR THE RIGHT TO HUNT AND FISH....or PRHF would reciece a donation from me in a heart beat if there was such a group. 

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #56 on: Mar 27, 2007, 10:18 AM »
i wish we had an orginazation like peta fighting FOR our hunting rights! their unity is insane, hunters have many conservation groups..but lack a unified front. PEOPLE FOR THE RIGHT TO HUNT AND FISH....or PRHF would reciece a donation from me in a heart beat if there was such a group. 
I nominate you and Doc along with adkroy to head it !
I would  be there !

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #57 on: Mar 27, 2007, 11:04 AM »
I nominate you and Doc along with adkroy to head it !
I would  be there !

I accept your nomination. I have an Associates degree in Forest Technology from the NYS Ranger School and a bachelors degree in Natural Resources management. (Just incase any one questions my qualifications). And to deal with all the politicians...I have a Master's degree in Special Education.  ;D
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Mar 27, 2007, 11:06 AM »
Politics does suck, but this is a case where politics and fishing intersect.  

I cannot understand all these "sportsmen" who are tearing down other "sportsmen" who are fighting for their rights.  Are these people living in "la-la" land?  Why attack people who are fighting so hard to protect something you love? If you want to be apathetic, fine, but then don't interfere with those who are fighting to protect the rights you enjoy.  It is that kind of mentality that keeps sportsmen from being a unified group like our opposition groups.

Those that hinder those efforts to protect our rights have no right to complain when they have no rights left!

By the way, does anyone else find it ironic that all these people who do not want to hear or talk about "politics and the outdoors" are reading and responding to this thread?

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #59 on: Mar 27, 2007, 11:17 AM »
Politics does suck, but this is a case where politics and fishing intersect.  

I cannot understand all these "sportsmen" who are tearing down other "sportsmen" who are fighting for their rights.  Are these people living in "la-la" land?  Why attack people who are fighting so hard to protect something you love? If you want to be apathetic, fine, but then don't interfere with those who are fighting to protect the rights you enjoy.  It is that kind of mentality that keeps sportsmen from being a unified group like our opposition groups.

Those that hinder those efforts to protect our rights have no right to complain when they have no rights left!

By the way, does anyone else find it ironic that all these people who do not want to hear or talk about "politics and the outdoors" are reading and responding to this thread?
I agree , not to mention those who are fighting for our rites to freely hunt and fish  not only include us on this forum but our troops .
Not fighting on the homefront for those rites is a slap in the face to those who are doing it abroad .

Teddy Roosevelt said it all rite here : In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing , the next best thing is the wrong thing and the wrost thing you can do is nothing !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.