Author Topic: Look what happens with FireLine Micro Ice  (Read 5445 times)

Offline PCB

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Look what happens with FireLine Micro Ice
« Reply #30 on: Mar 06, 2007, 11:49 AM »
i use fireline a lot and i love it, but only for leaders when used under the ice.  usually keep it 2-10' max of smoke colored, seem to always catch as many or more as anyone else out there
'Its either me or ice fishing' she says... i still have my jiffy

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Mar 06, 2007, 11:55 AM »
I have used cajun red right next to other lines and the fish always go for the red. They claim that it dissappears after 9 feet, I'm a believer. Also user red hooks.

Red line does not disappear as it goes deeper into the water column.  It just turns black.  So, you might as well start out with black line.  Actually, Fireline is dark grey which is a more natural colour than bright red when you are fishing in shallow water.

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Mar 06, 2007, 12:41 PM »
Red line does not disappear as it goes deeper into the water column.  It just turns black.  So, you might as well start out with black line.  Actually, Fireline is dark grey which is a more natural colour than bright red when you are fishing in shallow water.
We are fishing in such deep water that I wonder if the colour of the line matters....with 50 cm of snow on the ice, and the ice is over 90 cm
thick, and we are fishing 35 metres down...how much light can there be down there?  A friend dropped a camera down a couple of weeks ago, and when
he got to 10 metres there was no light at all.  We'll let you know how the Cajun Red goes, as I believe that is what Sweetie has ordered for his spools.
Thank every one for the input!!
Winter is the time of year toward which all that has gone before
seems but a preparation....winter, a quiet acceptance of what is
to come....Sigurd F. Olsen

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #33 on: Mar 06, 2007, 02:00 PM »
I have have used both FireLine and Cajun Red during the open water season and both have worked well for me. During the icefishing season the Cajun Red caught quite a few fish, the color didn't seem to bother them. The FireLine does tent to ice up but I still use it with OK results. I like the no stretch factor for my set lines, the fish usually hook themselves. :tipup:

Littleoldlady, I purchased my Cajun Red from Pokey's tackle shop in Regina Sask. They may some left if you are looking for it.

WW

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Mar 06, 2007, 06:21 PM »
Cajun Red, Cajun Blue, Fireline, Power Pro, Spiderline, Trilene XL, Trilene XT, Stren Clear Blue, Stren Fluorescent Blue, Seaguar, Vanish, Walmart Special at 2.99 for 1000 yards, any other line you want to mention....they all work well.  They all have their uses.  Somewhere, somehow, someone likes one of them and hates another one of them.

As for line disappearing in water.....that's for magicians.  Maybe fluorocarbon is a lot less visible in the water than the others but it does have quite a few disadvantages too.  Objects reflect light.  They reflect different wavelengths and according to the wavelength, we see colour.  What colour do fish really see is hard to imagine.  Some fish do not see some colours but they still see the object.  As the object goes deeper into the water, certain wavelengths are stopped by the refraction of the water.  Red is among the first colours to disappear to our eyes.  However, the object remains visible.  It just no longer reflects red.  The red gets darker and darker as it gets deeper.  The only time it really disappears is when there is no light.  Everything is black.  Even the colour white has turned black.

Also, think of this and picture in your mind a scene we often see on t.v. and movies.....Thousands of fish swimming in the sea.  All packed together yet swimming in the sea.  We see them suddenly all change directions at the same time.  All changing speeds at the same time.  A perfect harmony as if one solid body moving in the water.  No fish bumps into another fish.  How do they do this?  It's not from an external signal way off to one side.  It's due to the fact that fish are very sensitive to movement.  Movement causes very slight changes in pressure.  Just like a rapidly moving piece of cloth makes sound (a speaker).  When one fish moves slightly toward it's neighbour, there is a pressure change between the 2 fish.  The same when one fish moves very slightly away from it's neighbour.  Eyesight also contributes to this phenomena.

Now, moving a line in the water also causes a very slight pressure change.  I bet a fish can feel that pressure change, no matter what colour the line could be.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.