Author Topic: How many prefer ice fishing to open water fishing?  (Read 5783 times)

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
Re: How many prefer ice fishing to open water fishing?
« Reply #30 on: Mar 02, 2007, 10:01 AM »
fishing is a passion but ice fishin is a privilage some may have to travel great distances to even reach ice some may want to get to a spot all year and cant until there is ice, to answer your ? i rather be on the ice throwin up them nice firm fillets

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Mar 02, 2007, 10:17 AM »
I'm really surprised at how many people prefer ice fishing to open water fishing.  I would have thought that it was the complete opposite.  It's nice to know.  Here where I live in Quebec, it's often very cold.  Often too cold to go fishing.  When it's -20 to -30 C, even the lightest breeze will ruin a day.  It's tough work to set up 5 lines for ice fishing and then keeping the holes free of ice and trying to stay warm at the same time.  When it warms up to -10 and there is no wind, ice fishing is a lot more funBut, then again, if it wasn't for the cold, we wouldn't have such nice, hard, safe ice.

I'm 60 years old.  There was a time when I did not even wear gloves when ice fishing.  I would just warm them up every once in a while in my pockets.  Keeping feet warm was much simpler too.

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born To FISH Forced To Work
« Reply #32 on: Mar 02, 2007, 11:40 AM »
Tough to answer I love to vertical jig so ice fishing is great . Cost wise I think by the time add snowmachine, slay,auger, finder, shack.Verses Lund Pro-v and equipment not much difference. Our January is usally a write off due to the cold weather about-40 for 3weeks. But March is unbelievable long days warm bare hands ice fishing. The Fall is such a pretty time in Manitoba and the fish really have the feed bag on!I get out about 60 times a year in my boat I will have to give Summer the nod .Sorry Guys me bad!!

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Mar 02, 2007, 11:47 AM »
Tough to answer I love to vertical jig so ice fishing is great . Cost wise I think by the time add snowmachine, slay,auger, finder, shack.Verses Lund Pro-v and equipment not much difference. Our January is usally a write off due to the cold weather about-40 for 3weeks. But March is unbelievable long days warm bare hands ice fishing. The Fall is such a pretty time in Manitoba and the fish really have the feed bag on!I get out about 60 times a year in my boat I will have to give Summer the nod .Sorry Guys me bad!!
I don't think you have priced out the Lund pro V with a 150 and 10 kicker lately.

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Mar 02, 2007, 11:54 AM »
I don't think you have priced out the Lund pro V with a 150 and 10 kicker lately.
Empty I didnt say my Pro-V was new I wish. I have the baby one 1660 Pro -V and USED 

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Mar 02, 2007, 11:58 AM »
Empty I didnt say my Pro-V was new I wish. I have the baby one 1660 Pro -V and USED 
Nice boat

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Mar 02, 2007, 11:59 AM »
I like the comraderie of ice fishing, hanging out with a bunch of friends cooking up tasty grub, drinking a couple adult beverages and watching the the kids running around after flags.  Open water fishing I can only have 3 in my boat.  Even though I catch way more fish in the summer, I think the nod goes to ice fishing.  I find myself in the summer tooting around the lake, looking for structure to fish over when the ice comes in...I don't ever find myself thinking 'this would be a good place to hit this summer' when I'm on the ice.

I'm with you on that kenman!
:icefish:

Offline Scientist

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Mar 02, 2007, 01:10 PM »
Definitely Ice fishing, but majority of the time is spent on open water fishing due to lack of safe ice. Certain years there was not ice on any of the lakes  :(
breathing in, breathing out..this is life is all about ...We change when we start to make of life what we want.

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Mar 02, 2007, 05:01 PM »
Ice fishing to me is not only a passion, it is my obsession. Regardless of what time of year it is - I am thinking of ice fishing. I do open water fish for Muskies and in the spring for Walleyes. Otherwise the only reason I go out on the boat is to mark structure etc.. on my gps for ice fishing. Although I have very good open water equipment, it doesn't compare to what I have invested in for ice fishing.

It has gotten to the point that I take my ice fishing stuff with me during deer hunting (the week of Thanksgiving here in WI) if the ice is good - mid day you will find me on the lake. Next to ice fishing the only thing that comes close is bowhunting.

:tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #39 on: Mar 02, 2007, 05:42 PM »
I think all types of fishing have their advantages / disadvantages. But for me ice fishing is the most fun. Might be because it is a little more challenging. Probably more so because I actually get closer to other anglers I don't know and it seems nice to be able to fire up a grill right next to my fishing hole.

:tipup:

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Mar 03, 2007, 09:31 AM »
I do have to add one thing to my own post- I fish G Loomis rods exclusively for open water, but I still have 20 times the cash spent on ice fishing stuff, so I think barring a boat, open waters a cheaper hobby.
I too fish loomis rods Zamboni had them custom made each one personalized with my name or nickname ea different. Had them 7 years use them lots love them . Super senative and good backbone.Where did you get yours?

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Mar 03, 2007, 12:05 PM »
I got them at Cabelas. I have stuck Okuma reels on them- they are absolutely the best rods made, and I wouldn't trade them for anything...

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Mar 03, 2007, 12:25 PM »
Id miss either one.  I love to do both.......   

Offline bigchev98

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing like some fun on the ice!
« Reply #43 on: Mar 03, 2007, 05:43 PM »
I love both but i do have to say ice fishing has to be my favorite.  Its hard to fit more then 3 people in my 14' boat but ice fishing i can have a whole group out chasing some flags.  :tipup:

Offline miranick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Mar 03, 2007, 06:13 PM »
I would take a bad day on the ice over a good day on the boat just about every day,well some days anyhow. It's about getting out with buddies and having some good laughs and the fish you catch are just bragging rights.

Offline buckmanJR86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Mar 04, 2007, 04:34 PM »
Ice over open any day. Always seem to catch bigger bass on the ice. My PB came from the ice, 7.9  :tipup:

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Mar 04, 2007, 04:37 PM »
wow that is a huge bass thru the ice     anyways i have all but quit open water fishing since my boat has been broken

Offline calvin21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My best!
« Reply #47 on: Mar 04, 2007, 04:51 PM »
ice over open because i can get to all of the holes to fish for walleye, without a boat.

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #48 on: Mar 04, 2007, 04:55 PM »
Ice fishing! I hate it when my feet are warm and my hands aren't numb. Try and leave a fish out all day in the summer. No bugs! And just try playing darts with a fish in the summer. Plus open water fishing coincides with golf!

Offline irishjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Favorite Fishin Partner!
« Reply #49 on: Mar 04, 2007, 04:58 PM »
You can fish after ice ? huh never heard of such thing ! What do you do attach your tip-ups to inner tubes ?  ;D ;D ;D
I spent all my money on fishin,huntin,and beer  , everything else was just a waste!
TEAM MIRC NYRC Official Mic Of Mirc

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Zippo Outdoor pro-staff
« Reply #50 on: Mar 04, 2007, 06:13 PM »
Love the ice due to the winter lay-off..
Spring thru fall i'm too busy to fish

1 for the hardwater

Offline Longwooddrive

• IceShanty Rookie
  • From the gridiron to the ice
« Reply #51 on: Mar 04, 2007, 06:40 PM »
Got to go with open water angling!  Much more stimulating and warm.  There is nothing like spending the day on your favourite river fly fishing for Atlantics "The king of all fish".

I think I partake in ice fishing to satisfy my urge to open water fish, although I do enjoy it when I'm out.   :)

"Knowledge is power, Power is knowledge!"

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #52 on: Mar 04, 2007, 06:55 PM »
i like both equally because i target different species each season and couldnt manage not fishing all year.

Offline Bassfishin1983

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin Till The Day I Die!
« Reply #53 on: Mar 06, 2007, 08:22 AM »
I prefer Ice. You can get to so many diffrent spots that you can not all ways get to with a boat or from shore. I tend to catch great numbers of fish during the ice fishiing season. The pike seem to be a little big as well. Sometimes that warm weather is nice though.
Its Just A Way Of Life, Some People Just Dont Understand.

Offline mcarolan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Mar 06, 2007, 10:08 AM »
This is my first year properly ice fishing so it was an experience and a challenge but I've done far more open water fishing and I find it more enjoyable.
I WILL be ice fishing next year though........... fishing is fishing after all!

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #55 on: Mar 06, 2007, 03:26 PM »
thats easy!!!!! ice fishing all the way!!!

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #56 on: Mar 06, 2007, 06:03 PM »
I prefer ice fishing in the fall and open water in the spring...must be the change that I like...still nothing in open water beats bringing a huge fish to the ice and wondering,"I wonder if this fish is going to fit through this 10" hole :woot:

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Mar 06, 2007, 08:30 PM »
in the winter i prefer ice fishing. through spring and sumer i prefer open water fishing. through fall as far as im concerning fishing is closed to goose season. overall the only thing that sucks about ice fishing is dragging all the freakin gear in situations where it cannot be towed.

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #58 on: Mar 06, 2007, 08:53 PM »
Always ice fishing...  seem to catch more fish through the ice..

Offline mormyshka

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Mar 06, 2007, 09:17 PM »
Ice  all the way :thumbsup:
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I just wasted.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.