New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: What type auger do you all prefer?????  (Read 6107 times)

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What type auger do you all prefer?????
« Reply #30 on: Jan 30, 2007, 08:46 AM »
5" laser hand auger. Don't like it much when the ice gets real thick, but it works great. had it for 4 years and it cuts as good as ever. would like to try a Nils, everyone raves about them.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline thor94

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 30, 2007, 10:23 AM »
what i have is a 9" strikemaster lazer, what i would prefer is anything else.  just not happy that the blades seem to freeze up way to easy, and it just spins and spins in the hole and doesn't cut.

Offline brewmeister

• IceShanty Rookie
  • farm boy
« Reply #32 on: Jan 30, 2007, 10:31 AM »
Just wondering what type of augers( both hand and power) do you all prefer?  Heard good things about the Nils Master. Just wondering if they are worth the $$$$???
Power augers i use a jiffy stealth,their great built solid and its lite,had it for 2 years and starts right up,the strike lite is nice and lite but it has a plastic auger which is cheap ,nils is a great hand auger drills fast seen guys use them in short ice drills quick

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 30, 2007, 11:19 AM »
thor 94-
   Maybe you need new blades? Maybe your's are dull? Just a thought. I use the same, in an 8", mines' electric. No problems with mine. Cuts like a hot knife through butter.

Offline upstate bass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 30, 2007, 11:58 AM »
I use a 6'' mora attatched to a cordless drill for thin ice and an old 10'' jiffy power auger that weighs a ton but cuts  so fast for thick ice, I guess I am lazy, don't like to use the hand auger anymore.

Offline JNEMETH

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 30, 2007, 12:06 PM »
WNYBASSMAN, I have a 6 inch Nils hand auger. It cuts through ice like butter , but every other season or so the head just spins on the ice and does not cut at all. Do you do something after use to keep the head sharp ? Rinse it , dry it, spray it with WD-40. I had to buy 2 heads in 5 seasons. I must be doing something wrong. I just ordered another head from JP and they ain't cheap. Any advice concerning keeping a Nils head sharp would be appreciated.

Offline thor94

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 30, 2007, 01:03 PM »
thor 94-
   Maybe you need new blades? Maybe your's are dull? Just a thought. I use the same, in an 8", mines' electric. No problems with mine. Cuts like a hot knife through butter.

the blades seem very sharp (sharp enough to slice my boots the end of last winter)... it just seems like it ices up or the blades are at the wrong angle (i read on here about needing to shim the blades).  just not happy that my new auger (one-ish year old) doesn't cut like it should.

Offline thor94

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 30, 2007, 01:03 PM »
sorry, didn't mean to threadjack..

Offline jiggin_ADK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 30, 2007, 05:20 PM »
I've got a 5" lazer hand auger thats great for chasing pannies.  I just got a 8" lazermag express for tipups that I haven't even tried out yet.  I can't wait to fire it up this weekend. ;D  It's replacing an old 8" hand auger that I won't mind saying goodbye to.
Good things come to those who bait

Offline MACK_USCG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout Assassin!
« Reply #39 on: Jan 30, 2007, 05:43 PM »
hand auger for me!

Offline adirondackrick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 30, 2007, 07:03 PM »
JIFFY STEALTH 10" ! LOVE IT! :tipup:
[IMG]

Offline sodussut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 31, 2007, 08:39 AM »
 6 inch hand Mora with sharp blades that have not been hit , abused or nicked  and always protected except when cutin' ice!

Offline irishjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Favorite Fishin Partner!
« Reply #42 on: Jan 31, 2007, 08:48 AM »
6" Lazer for me , wouldnt use a blue mora for a boat anchor ! I have used my lazer for about 6 yrs and only changed the blades once , one hint , watch who you let borrow or use it , dropping or hitting the blades ,onany model with concave blades, messes them up and they do not cut the same . Doesnt matter what thickness the ice is , how much longer does it take to drill 18" than 6" ? A minute or two ? Not worth having to carry the gas models to me .  :tipup:
I spent all my money on fishin,huntin,and beer  , everything else was just a waste!
TEAM MIRC NYRC Official Mic Of Mirc

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #43 on: Jan 31, 2007, 08:56 AM »
Well not to be a smart a$$, but I like one that works.  Brand does not matter although I do have an 8" Jiffy.

As long as the blades are sharp and I keep it tuned.....it works great.

It is over 10 years old and keeps on drilling.......I am the second owner of it.

The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Jan 31, 2007, 10:49 AM »
i've had a 6" jiffy hand auger for years, drilled countless holes, still works great.
it's been bent,beat,borrowed and rusted, but i'm still on the original blades.
i've made some repairs to the handle, that wore out, and replaced the blade screws twice.

i bought a 10" gas job 3 years ago, works ok, but havn't really had enough ice to justify dragging it along.
i can get through 8" by hand with out too much effort.
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline gunnar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 31, 2007, 12:25 PM »
They all cut fine as long as they are SHARP or you are entering a ice auger hole competition. Exchange or sharpen your blades anually and you will not have a problem no matter what you choose.

kgbny

« Reply #46 on: Jan 31, 2007, 02:28 PM »
6 in lazer

Offline jigginoff

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Have a crappie day!!
« Reply #47 on: Jan 31, 2007, 02:33 PM »
5" lazer, you will smoke most gas augers. If you are targeting larger species thru thick ice a 6 or 8" gas auger is the way to go.

Offline imfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 31, 2007, 03:31 PM »
I use 3" and 7" lazer hand augers but when I want a lot of holes for tip ups STRIKEMASTER with a 10" auger is the only way to go.

Offline fishhooks315

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 31, 2007, 03:34 PM »
I run an 8" Eskimo w dual blades 1 3/4 hp ardisam engine starts first pull every time cuts thru like butter very light and very fast american made

Offline pikekiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those toothy critters!
« Reply #50 on: Jan 31, 2007, 03:59 PM »
my friend bought a brand new 3hp 8", and used it once.  then he moved and left it at my house.  I never would have bought the 3hp.  I find it to be pretty hefty.  I don't bring it out until there's about a foot of ice.
"You can't catch 'em from your living room!"

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #51 on: Jan 31, 2007, 04:10 PM »
I got a 8" Nills hand auger this year and am very happy with it! ;D  I would rather carry that around than my 9" jiffy gas auger any day.  It really does cut through the ice almost without any effort.

Offline JeffreyKrow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 31, 2007, 04:53 PM »
Eskimo is the better buy and has the things I find very important,IE.... Cheap and works good.
                                                                                                                       JK

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #53 on: Jan 31, 2007, 05:03 PM »
Hi guys, I do alot of fishing for pike and bass, I've had a couple of fish that gave a fight in a smaller hole so I went out and bought an Eskimo Barricuda Plus 10"  3hp. Alot better then the 8 1/4" that I had before. I would not trade this auger in for anything. If you get a fish that won't fit in a 10" hole cut your line and start telling stories about the one that got away. LOL If I had to I'd use an axe to cut a hole just to go fishing. 8)
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline IceKing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and release an a pan full of grease!
« Reply #54 on: Jan 31, 2007, 05:05 PM »
A SHARP ONE ;D
Its Ice Now!

Offline miranick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 31, 2007, 07:31 PM »
the lazer 8 is an awsome hand auger and you can't spend your money any better way

Offline pikekiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those toothy critters!
« Reply #56 on: Jan 31, 2007, 11:05 PM »
I have a 6" HT that I believe is called the Velocity or something like that.  Its basically like a Fin-Bore with the one piece cutterhead.  many holes and still cuts like new.  I wish I could say I've hooked a pike that wouldn't fit through.  10 pounders come through with room to spare.  that's not counting the cold days when the hole shrinks.  I appreciate the 8" gas auger when I bring it. 
"You can't catch 'em from your living room!"

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #57 on: Jan 31, 2007, 11:21 PM »
I have a 6" HT that I believe is called the Velocity or something like that.  Its basically like a Fin-Bore with the one piece cutterhead.  many holes and still cuts like new.  I wish I could say I've hooked a pike that wouldn't fit through.  10 pounders come through with room to spare.  that's not counting the cold days when the hole shrinks.  I appreciate the 8" gas auger when I bring it. 

Im pretty sure thats a nils master hand auger.   Cabelas sells them as HT high velocity hand augers.

Offline troutinator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Its not the Kill,Its the Thrill of the Chase"
« Reply #58 on: Feb 01, 2007, 05:17 PM »
I have had the same Eskimo Auger for 15yrs.,a 10" hole quantum two blade,I put an oz. of fuel stablizer in it at the end of the season & ever had to put a penny in it for repairs,New plug every season,usually one,maybe two pulls at the most,wish I knew how many miles of ice I drilled with it!!!!!!!! I had 2 jiffy's,1 magnum & a laser before it,all decent drills but nothing compares with the Eskimo,wish I listened to my Father,I'd of been 4 drills richer. Eskimo wrote the book as far as i'm concerned  ;)

P.S.-Not puttin down
other drills,just experiance 34yrs. at this game

Offline brewmeister

• IceShanty Rookie
  • farm boy
« Reply #59 on: Feb 01, 2007, 06:47 PM »
Just wondering what type of augers( both hand and power) do you all prefer?  Heard good things about the Nils Master. Just wondering if they are worth the $$$$???
Jiffy stealth made in the USA by americans,cuts fast lasts fur himmer und himmer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.