Author Topic: Ever see the underside?  (Read 5404 times)

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ever see the underside?
« on: Jan 20, 2007, 01:52 AM »
If anyone has went through lets hear your story. This may help other members stay alive. Could be entertaining also.

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
Re: Ever see the underside?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2007, 07:04 AM »
Never !  Good lord willing I never will !
I my be a little bit of a Pansy when it comes to the ice but I want to watch my kid's grow old and have my grandchildren open presents for the holidays at my house .
I wont get on less than three solid inches for any fish !

Offline team95monte

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothing more beautiful than a tip up at sunset.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2007, 07:09 AM »
Not my greatest day but I'll share,  I was fishong perch i Custer State Prk in western SD in the middle of January,  got bored with the fishing so I decided to load up, as I was leaving i had the idea to try a lake not 1/2 mile upstream from where I was.  It had a solid 12 inches of ice on it.  I drove to the boat ramp where kids from the high school were doing cookies on the ice.  Not wanting to disrupt the fun I dercided to drive to the other side of the lake.  I unloaded my bucket and hand auger and walked out from the other side.  About 40 feet ot from shore  I just fell through.  I to this day have no idea how i got out, cat like reflexes i guess, i was 16 at the time, and i saved every bit of my gear, auger and all.  I walkjed straight back to the truck and went home.  

The other time I fell through wasn't quite as dramatic.  I was fishing a lake with warm water flowing into it in the end of March.  In SD we get days in January where it is 65 degrees and -5 the next.  It was one of those days near ice off.  The ice was 4" at best but we were hammering northerns and it was probably 60 degrees.  I was walking back to the truck and the deepest we were fishing was 4 feet.  About 30 feet from shore I broke through.  All my buddies were laughing.  It was about chest deep.  Although it was cold it was quite invigorating, kinda like sitting in a hot tub when its 20 degrees only backwards.  I just took my fist and busted the ice all the way to shore to leave my buddies to find there own way off.   8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)   HAHAHAHA
SCREW CATCH AND RELEASE, HOOK EM AND COOK EM!!!!

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2007, 08:26 AM »
There have been a few threads like this...

Ice fishing, no. Hunting, yes. I was pheasant hunting when I was about 20 in an area with about 4 different creek systems running through it. I grew up hunting and fishing those areas and knew them well. My cousin and I were crossing the creeks all morning and not having any problem. We needed to cross one more to get back to our truck. He made it across ok and when I crossed, plop. I don't know how deep it was but I went in up to my neck and didn't touch bottom. Somehow my gun never got wet. I slid it over to my cousin and began assessing the ice for the best way out. I broke off pieces until I got to ice solid enough to climb my way out. I am not sure if I coiuld do that again today. It was about 3/4 mile back to our truck and by the time I made it there I felt like a popsicle, completely frozen...Now I carry spikes

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2007, 08:39 AM »
2 years ago, last day out on the ice.  Fished most of the day in jeans & a flannel shirt.  Walked back towards shore @ night.  Went to climb up the seawall & my boot went under.  I was ticked!  Weak story, I know, but who is stupid enough to go on thin ice anyway!!!  Stay safe people!!!

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2007, 09:32 AM »
OK we are warming up now!! Keep um coming! We have no ice it is the only entertainment we have.

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2007, 09:38 AM »
OK we are warming up now!! Keep um coming! We have no ice it is the only entertainment we have.
  I went through with my quad in 4.5 of water,yep cod as hell. We had 3 warm days still had 16" of good ice even at shore,so I thought. I didn't think about the run off from the road it undercut the ice I came out on.  Still looked good,hell of a let down.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less

Offline kirkwooders

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Websters definition of a northern red neck.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2007, 12:01 PM »
About 10 years ago I went through.  I don't remember much due to the state of intoxication.  Happened so fast, All I know is that one minute I was on top the next I was soaked and laying on the ice.  Lost all my gear too.  Now I save miller time until I get off the ice!
"There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid!"

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2007, 12:59 PM »
I haven't, but I know a guy that has gone through the ice on a snowmobile three times on the same lake over the years. I asked him some years ago if he was still fishing that lake. His reply was "Been to the bottom of that lake three times and haven't seen a fish yet. I haven't been back there since the last time I went through.".  ;D ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2007, 01:53 PM »
I went thru a couple of times last year   same day . I was fishing quaker lake in NY fishing on plenty of ice 6-7" . What i didnt know is towards the middle the water is moving and i also found out that the spot i went thru was frozen for just a couple of days. I did not see the bottom of the ice nor do i ever want to. Know the waters you fish especially years like last with sketchy ice the entire season.   Both times i popped right out happens fast . First time i had my old heavy jiffy auger in hand my friend said i threw it and laid myself out as soon as i felt it let go. I didnt get very wet that time. Alittle later in the day while checking a flag i fell through a few feet from my friend and that was enough for us. Both times i was over 12-15 fow so it could have been very bad.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2007, 06:23 PM »
I have gone in a couple of times.  The most recent was 3 seasons ago on Braddocks Bay in Western New York.  I must have found the deepest part of the entire bay because is caught myself at the chest and did not touch bottom.  Luckily I fell through after I picked up my last tip up.  I was able to get myself back up on the ice really easy.  The other good thing is I live 5 minutes from the place.  It was a really cold ride home. 

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Line Wet And Your Noodles Warm!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2007, 09:33 PM »
Was fishing Pymatuning Reservoir in mid 1990's.The lake had about 13 inches of good solid ice.Ice fisherman everywhere! My buddy and I went out looking for our old holes where we had caught our limit of nice walleyes two days earlier.The lake had 4 inches of fresh snow on it from the night before. We got to our location about 150 yds away from the main pack of guys fishing(don't like to fish in crowds)We were moving the snow with our boots trying to locate our old holes.I knew we were close because I could see a tree branch protruding up through the snow. I remembered this stick from the day before. Still could not find our holes so I decided to walk towards the tree branch.My buddy started drilling holes as I approached the branch. Then boom,crack,and plop... I went through up to my neck right now in about 20 feet of water. I could feel my heart pounding in my mouth and the cold water filling up my Carhartt coveralls. Suddenly my body felt like I was in a meat locker with no clothes. I clung to the ice as I could feel the weight of my clothing becoming heavier and heavier like I was being poured in cement. As I kept trying to pull myself from the water it felt like I was trying to pull an extra 50 lbs up tied to my legs.Several men and my buddy come rushing over within seconds. One threw me a bucket which I clung to like a bobber.Fortunately my buddy had a knife and cut the rope to pull his shanty which he tossed to me. I held on to the rope but still could not get up through the hole on to the ice. I kept thinking to myself "Lord,please don't let me go under" Then another fellow got close enough to grab my arm and finally I could get my leg up on to the ice and roll on out I remember telling myself "that was a near death experience-thank you Lord!" Now it was so cold out that my coveralls started to freeze like a  full body cast. My body felt OK but I could not move from my clothing be frozen stiff. I was drug off the ice in a sled like kid.Fortunately everything was OK.Come to find out that the tree Branch was an old log that must have not allowed the ice to freeze solid around it. I'll bet a lot of guys tiptoed off the lake that night.WORDS OF ADVICE TO ALL FELLOW ICE FISHERMAN....NEVER THINK FOR ONE MINUTE THAT THE ICE IS SAFE NO MATTER IF IT'S FIVE FEET THICK BECAUSE YOUR NEXT STEP COULD BE YOUR LAST.I love this sport and continue to ice fish every chance I get. But now I proceed on the ice with my MUSTANG or STEARNS  hypothermia worksuit.Without a doubt this is the best piece of equipment I own for ice fishing! Super warm(never get cold),convenient(zip on and off), and I will float should the ice  give way again.I'm telling you that these suits are awesome for ice fishing!And that guy who grabbed me by the arm...he had on a hypothermia suit...that is why he dared to get so close to help me.
Some men fish real hard but only "real men" fish hardwater!

Offline xcap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2007, 10:31 PM »
Went thru @ 10 yrs ago.  Was about dark & walked away from fishing buddies to shore to take a nature break in the bushes.  A step away from rocks on the bank, went thru to my chest w/o touching bottom.  Being an experienced scuba diver--imediately kicked w/ feet & flailed my arms down to keep from going under.  The same training/experience enabled me extricate myself using the rocks on the shore.  I no longer approach rocks on the shoreline as w/in 3 ft of that shore  was 14 in. of clear hard ice.

Offline algoneida

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2007, 11:04 PM »
here's an amusing story...... a few years back some americans from new york city came up to mattawa from some snowmobiling...it was early january and there was a good layer of ice over the mattawa river in most spots...but one spot where it was narrow rarely ever freezes over..let alone get thick enough to ride a sled over.....long story made short...one guy went through...lost his brand new skidoo...come spring i went diving and recovered the sled..... got a nice sled out of that deal...gotta love city slickers and salvage rights.  ;D ;) 

Offline northern fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dad and his littlest buddy
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2007, 12:05 AM »
This won't be your best answer,but as long as I'm in good shape I do not want to see the bottem of that
ice .
Should I ever get in such shape I don't know what I'm doing ,Iwould like to walk out on a big lake and not return home
It's not the answer you where looking for but I fear what is on top of the ice much more than I fear the bottem of it 
There is nothing better than the smile on a childs face when they see the fish come up through the hole.

Offline KGrant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2007, 02:29 AM »
I fell through the river last spring while getting water for the cabin. I was looking all over for a spot that I could chop a hole with my chainsaw, only had my 16" bar and the ice was 2-3 feet thick. I preetty much let my guard down and walked into a depression in the ice. My dog walked over it, but I fell through. Next thing I knew I was sitting their with a running chainsaw with my armpits holding me on top if the ice. Current had pulled my legs down stream and the air in my boots had my legs at the top of the ice. 

I stayed all nice and calm like you're suppost to. My two dogs are just sitting there looking at me wondering why I was going swimming that time of year.  So I shut the saw off, and pulled myself out amazingly easily. And GENTLY got on my snowmachine that was parked about 5' away.  Water is about 10' deep there.

I did fill up the bucket before I left though.

Worst thing was I had to sit in cabin for half the day waiting for my gear to dry out.

It could have been alot worse.

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2007, 08:53 AM »
Some scary stories here. I am fortunate to never have experienced such. How about the two guys mentioned in the "Come on 8-10 inches?" thread. Their truck went through an open hole in the ice in 50 FOW and they didn't get out till 20 feet down. It's just amazing that they came up at the hole. Part feline for sure. I wouldn't think a truck would sink straight down.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2007, 02:22 PM »
I am sold. I am buying a float suit this week. One thing I noticed is that most people went through when the ice was over 8 inches. That is when I feel the most secure. I guess there is no safe ice!

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2007, 12:27 AM »
Hardguy...There are usually some good deals on Ebay.Search under "survival suit" and that should get you started.Most range between $100-$200.Still cheaper than an Artic Armour suit designed by Dave Genz that DOES NOT FLOAT! I would stick with either the Mustang #2175 or the Stearns I-580 Worksuit.Myself and several of my buddies have the Stearns.Everybody I know who has a suit absolutely loves it.I 'm telling you these suits are the ticket for ice fishing.All I wear is my jeans and a sweatshirt under it.Never been cold yet!But more importantly it will keep you from the underside!

You can also check out Hamilton Marine for a new one.(Stearns Going for about $250) 

Was born in Washington,Pa and lived in California,Pa. ::)

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2007, 09:40 AM »
Hardguy...There are usually some good deals on Ebay.Search under "survival suit" and that should get you started.Most range between $100-$200.Still cheaper than an Artic Armour suit designed by Dave Genz that DOES NOT FLOAT! I would stick with either the Mustang #2175 or the Stearns I-580 Worksuit.Myself and several of my buddies have the Stearns.Everybody I know who has a suit absolutely loves it.I 'm telling you these suits are the ticket for ice fishing.All I wear is my jeans and a sweatshirt under it.Never been cold yet!But more importantly it will keep you from the underside!

You can also check out Hamilton Marine for a new one.(Stearns Going for about $250) 

Was born in Washington,Pa and lived in California,Pa. ::)
Thanks BB. I know of the 2175 but I will check out the stearns also.
My daughter just graduated from Cal.

Offline tarbot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2007, 10:30 AM »
Went through on purpose once!  We lost our ice spud while cutting a hole.  We could see the orange tip lying on the rocks about 10' below.  My buddy and I went to his house got the wet suits and tanks and another spud to cut a hole large enough for us to go through.  anchored some ropes and went in.  Very nerve wracking listening to the ice settle while under water.  You can hear every crack!  Once in, the water it was not too bad, getting out and walking to the truck was the worst part!

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2007, 11:06 AM »
I have broken through in knee deep water before, it's no fun.
This morning I got home from working the third shift in time to hear an emergency call to Indian Lake in Morley, Michigan where someone fell through only about 100 feet from shore. I was feeling real scared when it was 15 - 20 minutes later and the emergency vehicles were still trying to find their way there. I had to leave for a doctor's appointment so never did hear the outcome. I think it's a lot more scary just hearing about it when you can't do anything to help!

???

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2007, 09:11 PM »
Lobes-Hope to hear that everything is alright.Keep us posted.

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 22, 2007, 09:17 PM »
I can't remember if it was on this site or not but I remember reading a post a few years back where these guys would cut large holes in the ice insider their shanty and when the tide went out they would jump down inside (under the ice) and walk to the next shanty. For some reason Green Bay comes to mine...Anyone else remember this???

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2007, 07:25 PM »
Yep,3 times in one day. Back when I was young and thought I was invincible! Went to the beaver pond first light to pull my minnow traps, Stepped off the dam, broke through, slid down the slope to my arm pits. Got out, got my bait went home and changed. Midmorning at the lake, set my last tip, moved off my travel line to talk to another guy and dropped through, guess there wasn't 6 inches there. That was scary, about 12 ft of water. The guys helped me out. only about 400 yds to the truck, heading home to change again about 20 feet from shore I broke through to my waist! That was 30 years ago and the guys won't let it go. Allways try to get me "and my ice angel" to walk point on the ice. Amazing how lucky you can be when your just plain stupid!

Offline pipes18079

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 23, 2007, 08:18 PM »
I have never gone in the drink yet thank god but it is always on my mind

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 23, 2007, 08:31 PM »
wow those are some good stories

im sure not going to try and fall through :P
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #28 on: Jan 24, 2007, 10:06 AM »
Lobes-Hope to hear that everything is alright.Keep us posted.

Found out he is okay!
He definitely got real cold. Hopefully he learned a valuable lesson. We all know about the temptation thing!!!

8)

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 25, 2007, 08:21 AM »
Found out he is okay!
He definitely got real cold. Hopefully he learned a valuable lesson. We all know about the temptation thing!!!

Cold is better than "dead cold" - glad to hear he was alright. ;D                                     

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.