Author Topic: How many have fallen through?  (Read 6595 times)

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
How many have fallen through?
« on: Dec 23, 2006, 11:45 AM »
How many of you have fell in?

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How many have fallen through?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2006, 11:49 AM »
More times than I care to recall...and each time under different circumstances.....Esox

And while trapping in the spring...well, thats another story......
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2006, 11:50 AM »
tons of times but only on the shores

Offline gator_hunter71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tip Up!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2006, 12:16 PM »
When I was in high school, we went "ice burging" and dared each other to walk the chicken ice on the lagoon, needlees to say I went in regularly. Since I've started ice fishing, only one notable one, through 9 inches of honeycombed ice in March, but I actually was pretty weary of that ice, you could tell for days it was getting bad. Luckily it was waist deep just off the launch. It was still hard to believe you can drop thru that much ice that fast.
If you jig it...... They will come.

Offline Smeltecca

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never mess with another man's hole.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2006, 12:36 PM »
I most recently fell in three years ago trying to extend my season a little to long.  It was one of those sixty degree March days and I had to go.  Me and my buddy planked out in the morning and by noon time our plank was floating and the only way off was to fall through and walk to shore.  Luckily we were pike fishing in a shallow cove and only had to go in just above our waists.
  Ice Fishermen Walk on Water!

Offline hwangler001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2006, 01:51 PM »
twice in 28 years... both near shore

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2006, 02:19 PM »
not yet ;)
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2006, 02:28 PM »
I've been through messing around but not actually fishing.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2006, 03:07 PM »
My leg went through the ice that was next to an exposed rock years ago when I was a kid. It was snow covered and I didn't see it. That was a scary second, just a wet leg thank goodness.
2004 Honda Rancher 350 4x4
2014 Honda Foreman
2005 Arctic Cat Sabercat 600
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2006, 03:17 PM »
Legs have been wet several times.  Got a taste of dropping truck thru two years ago. Tried to cross edge of pressure ridge near an island. Dropped one of the front wheels in. Two feet of ice except for one small spot. Middle of the night to boot, but had another vehicle and jerked the ol girl out.   :tipup:
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2006, 03:21 PM »
I hope you had a change of undies with you!  ;D
2004 Honda Rancher 350 4x4
2014 Honda Foreman
2005 Arctic Cat Sabercat 600
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

Offline captain crooked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2006, 04:00 PM »
Went thru perch fishing 18 inches of ice where i had been fishing for a week. went out by myself after work air temp was 20 or so. bite was slow moved over 20 feet started to drill auger went thru with two cranks knew i was in trouble turned to walk away went straight down into 15 feet of water auger hung up panicked settled down was able to put auger out in front hook frozen slush foorprints from earlier people walking out and sort of pulled and crawled back out scariest minute of my life still dont know what caused the spot but havent been out there since.

PWR BAIT

« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2006, 04:45 PM »
I went through once had about 5 inches of ice,  the week before some body useing power auger when there was only 3to 4 inches. it had snowed about 4 inches why would you use a power on that thin of ice are people that lazy I went in up to my waist through one of those power auger holes.that made me think WHY :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:

Offline LoaderGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Boats Afloat , Shores Ashore
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2006, 04:58 PM »
Twice! Once when icefishing and once while trapping! You'll be surprised how fast you go in. You would think that you can catch yourself but it's a spit second and your in.

Be Careful!
 Steve
GET JIGGIE WITH IT !

Offline spoonfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just one more
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2006, 05:37 PM »
twice, once 4.5miles from shore in 17fow and once on a small pond up to my neck. the one 4.5 mile out was me and my quad.  was on 16" and found a spot that opened and refroze with 3" max. very cold and a bit scary.

only keep what you're gonna eat
                                                            MIRC

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2006, 06:03 PM »
i have only been through once and thats enough for me.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2006, 06:17 PM »
I got it last winter in January

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #17 on: Dec 23, 2006, 07:17 PM »
well after 26 years i went in the other day. got greedy did something stupid ran for a flag right across thin ice i knew was bad. got out and................... ... ran for the ...................... ...................sho re..................no for the flag got the fish small pike         goin to try to be smart the next time     mofish
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 23, 2006, 08:06 PM »
Do not want to see the other side of the ice.

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 23, 2006, 08:16 PM »

When I was a kid about 10, near the shore at the Coneish. We rode up to town and put my things in a dryer at the laundermat. Lucky for me there were a couple extra cloths in the truck while my other stuff dried out. I can still remember how the cold water took my breath away. It's no joke in deep water. :tipup:

Offline IFISH4EYES

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The eyes have it.
« Reply #20 on: Dec 23, 2006, 08:34 PM »
knock on wood. Not yet. I like to spud my way around even on thick ice. PS I wear a life vest.

Offline thordoggydog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 23, 2006, 09:46 PM »
I went through about 10 years ago while fishing over christmas break near cable wi. Ice was about a foot everywhere with at least a foot of snow on top. Found a thin spot. Was pulling the tent and the rope kept me from going in too far and used it to pull myself back out.

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #22 on: Dec 23, 2006, 10:08 PM »
twice on foot three times in a truck  ;D
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline Ice_Ape

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 23, 2006, 10:10 PM »
Went thru several years ago. About 10 fow. was able to turn auger and catch the ice as i fell thru. Fortunately was enough snow to roll in to keep heat in till I got back to truck. It was the first and last time i've gone ice fishing by myself. Ice was about 8 in. Spring fed pond. snow on ice. didnt see the spring. Never want to go thru that again!
Do you think there's hardwater in heaven?

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 24, 2006, 08:17 AM »
knock wood here too :pinch:  two years ago me and a buddy were out on 12" of honeycombed ice in march.  at dark he said we should go and i yelled back that anytime worked for me.  He said "you dont understand, we need to go NOW"  I had noticed some water pooling around me bout a 1/4" deep or so so i picked up what i had with me and headed for the sled.  He yelld at me not to come close so i held up while he grabbed some stuff and headed off.  I then finished packing the sled and just when i folded it all down and still had a hold of it a big area around me sagged a good 4" or so and water ws boiling outof hte holes around me.  I flung the sled away from me which afforded me the time to VERY gently back off that area.  36 fow wouldnt have been a good place to fall in and i was deffinately shaking when i finally made dry land

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline rockysolid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I fish....Therefore I am.
« Reply #25 on: Dec 24, 2006, 10:30 AM »
Took a drop in about 12 fow a couple years ago on late ice. Walking off with my basket on and my bucket and chisel in my hands. About 15-20 feet from shore, same place we came in on earlier. Same old story, warm day and softened up ice. Dropped like a stone, my buddy who had gone in a month earlier was aleady on shore. He was laughing so hard I probably would have drowned if I needed his help  ::) ....... Hauling my fat ass outta that cold water was a lot easier than you'd think all loaded up. Then lost it again with a few feet to go in about 5 feet......That was one cold mother of a ride home. Still thanking the good lord I was only a few miles from home.

Had a buddy do a full submersion in about 30 feet that same year a month earlier. It was scary as hell at the time but we laugh about it now. I was cooking and watching him at one of his holes and 'POOF' .....Gone. He came back up out of the hole like a Trident missile. Stood right up, soaked completely.....Went home, changed and was back within the hour. A true Ice Maniac!!  :bow:
If everyone who whined about the cold would move south, this would be a better place.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #26 on: Dec 24, 2006, 12:57 PM »
Fell through once, I will lay down the scenario, we had a warm spel for like 3-4 days where it rained and poured at times, and just before that warm spell there were a hundred guys out on the lake turning it into swiss cheese after the warm spell it snowed and got cold making every thing look kosher, and everything was as long as you didn't stand on top of an old hole drilled right before the warm spell or during it. Went in up to my arm pits in 20 fow and jumped right back out, get this, I did't even get a stitch of clothing wet. I had a rainsuit on and when I went in it stuck tight to my body just like wadders do, and I pushed myself out so fast the water didn't have enough time to get under the suit. Both guys I fished with couldn't believe it, so like a bunch of smart guys we fished the rest of the day.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #27 on: Dec 24, 2006, 01:43 PM »
Ok ,so here is my story. My cousin and I were about 12 and were messing around in the missouri river at chamberlain SD. We were walking straight out towards the middle .I was leading with a 6 in round rock that I was throwing out ahead of us.Figured the ice was good enough if it didnt break through,lol. Well , about 500 yds out ,the rock didnt slow down when it hit the ice.I turned to retreat and proceded to break through with every step. I would just get one leg out and the other would go through. Made it to safe(?) ice and  my legs started crampping up from being scared chitless.That scared me straight for a little while.

Following weekend,we were fishing the same area only back in a bay. My cuz was walking in front of me and POOF he was down.I grabbed him by the hood on his cout just as his head was gonna go under and hoisted him back out. He had stepped in a spearing hole that somone had failed to mark .Aside from that, my only dinkings come from bad ice near shore getting off at night.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #28 on: Dec 25, 2006, 10:35 AM »
I've been through three times. the first time it had been raining and I stepped through a hole that developed near shore. Luckily I only went in water waist deep. The second time I went through while trapping. I stepped next to a muskrat house and went through up to my waist in water and muck. :P The last time I jumped onto thin ice on purpose. Our new bassett hound puppy walked onto the ice on a stream and the ice broke and he sank to the bottom. I jumped in and hauled him out . We dried him off quick with my brothers hat and him and I ran 1 mile back to the house. It was below zero that day and my hunting outfit was ice by the time I got inside.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 25, 2006, 01:28 PM »
only legs goin through old holes...... my sister did fall through to her neck..... i was about 8 or 9 and she was about 5 or 6 and we were walking on a small stream that we "thought was pretty sturdy.well i went across first... more like ran across lol i didnt fall in just alot of sinking and cracking... next my sister was walking as slow as she possibly could and i guess it just broke and she went straight to the bottom... i didnt even know wut i was doing i lunged for her head and grabbed her hair just as she started goin under....thank god this was in my back yard and not far a way becuase she slipped out of my hands and went under!!! for about 2 seconds couldnt find her ooo no what will mom say when i come home and no sister with me  :-\ well i just dunked the top half of my body under water and just grabbed her my friend helped me pull her out.... most scariest day of my life!!!

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.