New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: fisherman dies  (Read 3035 times)

Offline fishmaster13184

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: fisherman dies
« Reply #30 on: Jan 12, 2024, 04:15 AM »
ric i think were  both wrong  !!!! i found this

Search instead for do most people that fall threw the ice drown or die from hypotherma

Cold shock response is a series of neurogenic cardio-respiratory responses caused by sudden immersion in cold water. In cold water immersions, such as by falling through thin ice, cold shock response is perhaps the most common cause of death.
My striker suit kept my body mostly dry when I fell in but I self recovered fairly fast, either way I’d rather freeze to death than tread water till I got tired and had to give up and go under…..

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #31 on: Jan 12, 2024, 04:41 AM »
i wear a  float  suit  i  also have  a  life  jacket  that  blows  up  ......the suit  i like  it's  warm ....but  i don't let it  become a false  sence of security ... i use a  spud  i'm not taking a  dunk

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #32 on: Jan 12, 2024, 05:09 AM »

Trapps right when falling through the ice ,the shock of ice water one inhales causing drowning
 Knock on wood I’ve never taken a plung but have falling in the salmon river a few times In January and February with waders on just glad I was a younger man , being swept done stream and making it to shore wasn’t much fun 

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 12, 2024, 05:23 AM »
Trapps right when falling through the ice ,the shock of ice water one inhales causing drowning
 Knock on wood I’ve never taken a plung but have falling in the salmon river a few times In January and February with waders on just glad I was a younger man , being swept done stream and making it to shore wasn’t much fun

When I was 12 or 13 my dog flipped my canoe on Oneida in early April. We were out by the Red Buoy off Cleveland. There was still ice on most of the lake. I can vividly remember hitting the water backwards and involuntarily taking a huge breath of air. I got back into the canoe and paddled it full of water back to shore. Something my dad taught me to do if we ever flipped the canoe duck hunting. I think it saved my life. I was numb from the waste down in maybe a minute. I often wonder what would have happened if I tried to swim to shore instead.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #34 on: Jan 12, 2024, 05:36 AM »

Bruce im sure you were absolutely frozen , im glad you made the choice you did 👍 ,

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #35 on: Jan 12, 2024, 06:13 AM »
i was  fishing  salmon  river late  jan  ice shelf  broke i went in  ..below  zero  i  froze  getting to truck i  started  feeling warm and i knew  then  got tired  nephew    striped  me  down  got  enercancy  blanket  around  me  made  me stay awake and  drink  hot  coffee till we  got to hospital ...then i  got IV  and a  heated  matt  wrapped in blankets  ....i shivered  uncontrolable  it really sucked  ...my fault young and  stupid  ....all these drownings  on the ice  can  be avoided  with  common sence

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #36 on: Jan 12, 2024, 06:20 AM »
 I walked an 1/8 mile to the log cabin in Pulaski ,
 the guys pried my cloths off , the coffee and brandy was welcomed 🤪
 At my age now not sure falling in wouldn’t have the same results scary stuff

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 12, 2024, 07:01 AM »
Scary stuff for sure.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Jan 12, 2024, 07:03 AM »
fred  at our  age  were  lucky  we  get out of  bed   :roflmao: i know i  wouldn't  survive   it  today

Offline Ric66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 12, 2024, 05:29 PM »
ric i think were  both wrong  !!!! i found this

Search instead for do most people that fall threw the ice drown or die from hypotherma

Cold shock response is a series of neurogenic cardio-respiratory responses caused by sudden immersion in cold water. In cold water immersions, such as by falling through thin ice, cold shock response is perhaps the most common cause of death.

Then I think I'm in deep sh** if I ever fall through. I can't even stand a cold shower........

Offline UofLCARDS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 12, 2024, 05:45 PM »
Then I think I'm in deep sh** if I ever fall through. I can't even stand a cold shower........

I might have a chance - I'm usually the first one in our lake (had our dock in the day the ice came off last year) and the last one in ....the other campers call me to help them get their docks and lifts out in November ....they wear waders and I'm in my bathing suit ..... ;D. I've been under in spring when there were still ice crystals washing up in shore and in late November ....tried in December 1 year but just couldn't do it - made it to mid thigh and chickened out - LOL

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #41 on: Jan 12, 2024, 08:21 PM »
Sad :'(
Master Laker taker.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #42 on: Jan 13, 2024, 01:40 PM »
I might have a chance - I'm usually the first one in our lake (had our dock in the day the ice came off last year) and the last one in ....the other campers call me to help them get their docks and lifts out in November ....they wear waders and I'm in my bathing suit ..... ;D. I've been under in spring when there were still ice crystals washing up in shore and in late November ....tried in December 1 year but just couldn't do it - made it to mid thigh and chickened out - LOL

Nobody really knows what level of fortitude they can muster in a true life-or-death emergency until it actually happens, but a persons age does play a big part in the odds of surviving just based on human physiology. When I was 25, I think I could have spent hours bobbing in the water if I fell through the ice, and still survived. Today, at age 58, if I went in I think I would die within 3 minutes if I was not pulled out.  :o
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #43 on: Jan 13, 2024, 02:18 PM »
Said a bunch of times before, the times I have fallen through, I was out of the water like a gun shot, its the getting off of wet clothes before they freeze!
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline UofLCARDS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 13, 2024, 02:29 PM »
Nobody really knows what level of fortitude they can muster in a true life-or-death emergency until it actually happens, but a persons age does play a big part in the odds of surviving just based on human physiology. When I was 25, I think I could have spent hours bobbing in the water if I fell through the ice, and still survived. Today, at age 58, if I went in I think I would die within 3 minutes if I was not pulled out.  :o

Thats true ....I'm 66 and still doing what I do ....its not the same, but we go to Maine every year and I stay in that 55 degree water for 30 minutes or so ...but thats not 32 degree water and fighting to get out either...BIG difference ;D

Offline UofLCARDS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 13, 2024, 02:33 PM »
Said a bunch of times before, the times I have fallen through, I was out of the water like a gun shot, its the getting off of wet clothes before they freeze!

Yuh a lot depends on the AIR temp as well as the wetness ......I've fallen thru up to my waist and pulled myself out - wrung my socks and lowers clothes out and stayed and fished 3 1/2 more hours ...decided it was time to go when I was wiggling my toes and couldn't feel myself doing it any more .... finally got some feeling back by the time I got home with the truck heat cranked .....in my defense it was a really nice fishing day - cloudy and 30 or so ....no wind ....

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #46 on: Jan 13, 2024, 03:09 PM »
I waded through waist deep water to get on the ice at Paradox and then fished in wet clothes for 6 hours and LOVED IT !!!! The heat capacity of water is 20 times greater than that of air, meaning that you will lose body heat 20X faster while submerged in water than standing in air. No normal person can survive more than 30 minutes in 32 degree water.  >:( :o
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #47 on: Jan 13, 2024, 04:42 PM »

Use to put my waders on to get on the ice ages ago , screw getting wet when not necessary 😉l

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #48 on: Jan 13, 2024, 06:01 PM »
i have worn  my  neoprene  waders  and  jacket out on the  ice  with  a  life  jacket  under  my  coat  .......i wouldn't have  even  gotten  wet if i  did  go threw  .....  you fell in   a bunch of  times?????  want  me to show you how to  use a  spud ????  seriously  thats  not good....fred  remember the  days   guys took  a  boat to get on the  ice  .....

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #49 on: Jan 13, 2024, 06:49 PM »
 I do remember that trapp
 I remember guy’s rowing out to the ice to get on their sno mobile and at the end of the season skipping water on the way back in lol, I’ve never done more than100’ with shack in tow

Offline UofLCARDS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 13, 2024, 06:58 PM »
i have worn  my  neoprene  waders  and  jacket out on the  ice  with  a  life  jacket  under  my  coat  .......i wouldn't have  even  gotten  wet if i  did  go threw  .....  you fell in   a bunch of  times?????  want  me to show you how to  use a  spud ????  seriously  thats  not good....fred  remember the  days   guys took  a  boat to get on the  ice  .....

I've seen people row their boats out and haul them on the iced too....not recently though .....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.