Author Topic: Rotary Derby  (Read 7091 times)

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Rotary Derby
« Reply #60 on: Feb 09, 2023, 11:39 AM »
agreed too much drama, I keep in touch with a few guys from here on the sidelines. I havent posted pics this year but will, been tight lipped about ice and fish reports this year, Will post pics after this weekend. been doing alot of scouting and exploring and making the best of the season. Been an interesting season .
Salmonemia

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #61 on: Feb 09, 2023, 11:41 AM »
Post some pics!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #62 on: Feb 09, 2023, 11:41 AM »
I get death threat PM’s  ;D

It’s really changed my approach  ::)

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Feb 09, 2023, 11:58 AM »
My derby days go back to the beginning with a group of 8 or nine guys,,  before 2-face book and the internet,it never, ever was about catching fish, not that we didnt fish hard, we did, and were relatively serious  about it, we ate good had an adult beverage or 3 and just enjoyed the weekend for what it was, a day for adult boys( I better say girls lest I get into trouble) to go outdoors and enjoy the winter while contributing to a good cause.
Sadly, most of those I fished with are fishing  somewhere I'm not in a hurry to.fish at, my fishing partner  of 20 years ( who is 15 years my junior,just had had enough winter activity and stopped ice fishing) called me the other day and asked if I was fishing this year, my reply was does a bear XXX in the woods, he wished me luck and told me I was becoming  a crazy old buzzard, I take that as a complement..For a few years I fished alone, it wasnt fun, the last few, I've fished the derby with a few folks I met here on shanty weve developed a solid friendship,  fishing the derby is fun again and gives this old buzzard a reason to get out on derby day besides just being nostalgic.. good luck  to those that fish. Remember its mot always about catching fish, it's the journey that makes us who we are..

ROC.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Feb 09, 2023, 12:17 PM »
My derby days go back to the beginning with a group of 8 or nine guys,,  before 2-face book and the internet,it never, ever was about catching fish, not that we didnt fish hard, we did, and were relatively serious  about it, we ate good had an adult beverage or 3 and just enjoyed the weekend for what it was, a day for adult boys( I better say girls lest I get into trouble) to go outdoors and enjoy the winter while contributing to a good cause.
Sadly, most of those I fished with are fishing  somewhere I'm not in a hurry to.fish at, my fishing partner  of 20 years ( who is 15 years my junior,just had had enough winter activity and stopped ice fishing) called me the other day and asked if I was fishing this year, my reply was does a bear XXX in the woods, he wished me luck and told me I was becoming  a crazy old buzzard, I take that as a complement..For a few years I fished alone, it wasnt fun, the last few, I've fished the derby with a few folks I met here on shanty weve developed a solid friendship,  fishing the derby is fun again and gives this old buzzard a reason to get out on derby day besides just being nostalgic.. good luck  to those that fish. Remember its mot always about catching fish, it's the journey that makes us who we are..

ROC.
well said Bud, Glad I have had the opportunity to meet you and fish with you.
Salmonemia

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Feb 09, 2023, 12:44 PM »

ROC.

Nice post Joe... I used to always fish alone because all the buddies I grew up around were fair weather guys, They're ready to head to the lake when I'm already back home filleting. This site linked me to solid guys like me that have no issue climbing into a cold truck at 3:00 am to drive 2 hours just to have traps in the water before the sun can shine on them... I've learned a ton, had some great times, and made some great friends at "camp knucklehead".
Here's to the great group of people I've met on this site. Cheers!
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #66 on: Feb 09, 2023, 01:16 PM »
Well said men. Camp Knucklehead definitely keeps me coming back for more. I gave up fishing and doing the derby with the "just here to party" crew long ago. Since then I either fly solo ,with my boy, or one other friend that's as committed as I am, most of the time. Although it's nice sometimes, its no longer always about getting the biggest one or being "the best"., It's about the journey like roc said. The great experiences come with others like-minded.
Ive met many great people on this site, but these 4 guys(and a few others) above are a true pleasure to fish with and just be around. Their focus and aim for fishing success is spot on. When the lone wolf's converge, it's game on.
Long live Camp Knucklehead!
See you soon boys.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #67 on: Feb 09, 2023, 01:25 PM »
Knuckleheads Bruh!

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #68 on: Feb 10, 2023, 06:33 AM »
This is a great thread to read to remind me what a solid group of guys (and ladies) are on this NH IS site.  Normally, I would of had my 5 or 6 ice trips on the big lake in the bag and the hardside would be anchored on derby grounds.  Not the case for me this year, mother nature has not cooperated.  I managed to scout miles of ice in the bays but my favorite grounds won't be accessible this year without an air boat or ARGO.  Anyway, Goodluck to everyone and be safe.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #69 on: Feb 10, 2023, 06:41 AM »
Dick is a good dude for sure.  I use to go to his neck of the woods for early ice.  He'd offer shiners from his bait pond.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Feb 10, 2023, 08:59 AM »
based on few cams gonna be a sloppy mess bring the rubbers Men  :tipup:
Salmonemia

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Feb 10, 2023, 09:08 AM »
based on few cams gonna be a sloppy mess bring the rubbers Men  :tipup:

Sounds like grade school health class
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline Steve01987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Feb 10, 2023, 09:40 AM »

lmaooo

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Feb 10, 2023, 09:51 AM »
Sounds like grade school health class
we grew up at the right time to understand this.
Salmonemia

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #74 on: Feb 10, 2023, 10:39 AM »
we grew up at the right time to understand this.

Now they just teach them the 80 ways you can rearrange your plumbing depending what letter you want to be

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Feb 10, 2023, 11:39 AM »

Sounds like you're doing something right to me
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Feb 10, 2023, 12:31 PM »
Now they just teach them the 80 ways you can rearrange your plumbing depending what letter you want to be

::)
More important you get the pronouns right than learn anything of any practical use.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Feb 10, 2023, 01:06 PM »
"sorry game warden I am not a biologist i dont know the difference between a rainbow and a salmon"......... It worked for the Supreme court justice I wonder if that would fly with the wardens, I doubt it.
Salmonemia

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #78 on: Feb 10, 2023, 01:07 PM »
Definitely will need your rubbers if you're fishing Southern Nh. Summer made a comeback today. March fishing weather.
60 on the seacoast right now. 20 mph warm winds.  Yuck ....unless you're one of the 30-40 bikers I saw out today

- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Feb 10, 2023, 01:21 PM »
Definitely will need your rubbers if you're fishing Southern Nh. Summer made a comeback today. March fishing weather.
60 on the seacoast right now. 20 mph warm winds.  Yuck ....unless you're one of the 30-40 bikers I saw out today

sad
Salmonemia

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Feb 10, 2023, 01:52 PM »

I don't know man, the lakes I scouted, there's not a stitch of snow! I think you can fish in low tops but they better have creepers on 'em!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Feb 10, 2023, 03:06 PM »

I could hear the Camaro whispering my name from under it's cover in the 60 degree sun... Too much trash on the roads though...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #82 on: Feb 10, 2023, 04:10 PM »
Hit 50 at my house today, I was ready to go drift Flounder

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Feb 10, 2023, 04:19 PM »
Hit 50 at my house today, I was ready to go drift Flounder
58 on the flat lancer with a cranking  wind.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Feb 10, 2023, 04:47 PM »

ROC.

Well said and good luck this weekend !

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Feb 10, 2023, 06:40 PM »
"sorry game warden I am not a biologist i dont know the difference between a rainbow and a salmon"......... It worked for the Supreme court justice I wonder if that would fly with the wardens, I doubt it.

If the Salmon identifies as a Rainbow is it then legal to catch it through the ice?

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Feb 10, 2023, 07:23 PM »
If the Salmon identifies as a Rainbow is it then legal to catch it through the ice?

What if it doesnt identity,  and is non binary.. its past my bed time.

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #87 on: Feb 10, 2023, 09:59 PM »
Good luck to everyone participating in the derby this weekend.

Offline Rainbow1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Feb 11, 2023, 03:54 AM »
Time to uncover the boat and get ready for trolling

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #89 on: Feb 11, 2023, 08:06 PM »
Shout out to JoeG well done on the 1st place pickerel.
Salmonemia

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.