Author Topic: coroplast shack and Menards storage shed  (Read 118288 times)

Offline Wind Flag

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: coroplast shack
« Reply #150 on: Feb 23, 2011, 06:52 PM »
Could you give me an estimate of how much that cost to build? I think I'm gonna build a slightly larger version of that.

How well does it hold up to wind? I would want to keep it on the ice for the whole season.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #151 on: Feb 24, 2011, 06:20 PM »
From earlier in the thread:

The most expensive part of the coroplast shack was the aluminum angle stock trim
~8 8' pieces @ $11 apiece; next was the foam.  About 12 sheets (I have some left over) at about $7.50/sheet.
I used 7 sheets of 4'x8' for coroplast at $14/sheet.  (= $276)

Add in the cost of the 5/8" 4x8 plywood floor, 2x 12' 2"x4"'s, a 12' 2x3, 5x 12' 1"x2", deck screws, paint, fender washers,
4 tubes of liquid nails, some eye bolts....( = ???? )

There ya go.....

Offline newfound

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #152 on: Mar 01, 2011, 02:27 PM »
I was going to make my shack out of Aluminum trim coil, but found aluminum to be heavy.
I've made shacks with Luan, but it will delaminate.
My cousin has been getting free 4x8 PVC sheets.  They are used in shipping large quantities of PVC pipe.
They are 1/4" thick and just as light as 1/4" luan.  Also, you can paint PVC to eliminate UV harm. And PVC is strong.
I built my last shack with 1/2" fir plywood floor and seats and 2x2 white cedar frame and vinyl siding and corrugated aluminum roof.
I'd probably replace the aluminum roof with a PVC panel roof and paint it black.

Newfound

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #153 on: Jul 25, 2011, 11:12 PM »
Newfound,
Did you paint or seal the luan?

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #154 on: Jul 27, 2011, 02:31 PM »
Newfound,
Did you paint or seal the luan?

I made my "portable" out of luan a cpl years ago and it has held up good.  I did spray the bottom 6" (inside and out) with spray on bed liner, then painted the outside...and I do store it in the garage during the off season.. I expect it to last for many, many more years...
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=154057.msg1506422#msg1506422

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #155 on: Jul 27, 2011, 08:01 PM »
I remember your sled/shack well,  beeverfishing.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #156 on: Sep 09, 2011, 08:32 PM »
Just posting some pics of the coroplast shack....brings memories of some good times.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #157 on: Sep 27, 2011, 06:40 AM »
Mainedog I believe that your shack will be history from now on!   how many years has it been???   lol
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #158 on: Sep 27, 2011, 07:48 PM »
Built in 06.  Sold in 09.  I've posted to this thread a few times since so it doesn't fade away......

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #159 on: Jan 05, 2012, 05:31 PM »
You said the shack weighed in at about 200 Lbs?
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #160 on: Jan 06, 2012, 06:02 AM »
I'd say well under 200lbs, more like 150...
I could easily tip it on its side, lift one end, etc.
Was very easy to pull behind my snowmobile.

MD

Offline NHGunowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #161 on: Dec 07, 2014, 07:57 PM »
Bump, normally wouldn't post to such an old thread, but this is a good one.
Well done Mainedog, I found this thread looking for good light weight sheathing options, seems you found a excellent option in coroplast.
I found it at usplastic.com, 10 pack of 4'x8' sheets for $210. UV resistant. Considering it and some uhmw poly for the skis.
Still in the planning phase, all aspects including dimensions undetermined. Maybe a light weight 4'x8', just to fish from, or maybe a lighter replacement for my sleeper.
I'm just dreading hauling my 8'x10' tank out there another season...its gotta be 1000lbs. Thing is we sleep in it a few times a season. It really is the Winni Hilton!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #162 on: Dec 08, 2014, 08:27 PM »
Thanks for the kind words Gunner.  I thought this thread had died out long ago.

Things I would have done differently (if doing it over):
1) just make a simply sloped, non-peaked roof--faster and easier to build.
2) make it 5' wide.  4' was just too narrow for me.
3) consider making a separate sled (like a smitty slid on steroids) to haul the shack--remove the shack from the sled when fishing.  That way it could have more ground clearance (good for deep snow and slush) but still sit directly on the ice when fishing--makes it easier to fish and less drafty.  Plus the sled could be fairly light weight also.
4) Build a good frame work so that you don't have to cut the foam insulation (keep the spacing so the foam fits in between the framing) to speed the build. Just be sure to provide support behind it--maybe using horizontal furring strips.
5) small wood stove--really small--like a Nuway stove.  Dry heat, and you don't need much heat otherwise it will drive you out.
6) bench seats/storage--to keep my gear from crashing around--I usually put a small jet sled inside it filled with gear and made sure it would not come
crashing through the walls when towing/stopping.

But it was lightweight.  It was warm.  It was easy to move/tow/pry loose from the ice.  It was just a bit too small.  5'x8' would be plenty large, maybe even 5'x7', but then it gets hard to put in the back of your truck if that's how you are transporting it.

Thanks again for the kind words.  Sounds like you got a heck of a deal on the plastic sheets.  Please post pictures of your build/results.

MD

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #163 on: Dec 09, 2014, 11:17 PM »
Glad this thread was brought back to life....Great Build MD!
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline BobberdownLP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #164 on: Jan 04, 2015, 09:46 PM »
Just a thought?

I'm thinking of going this same route (Coroplast Shack).  Being that the shack is so lightweight, could one make the bottom completely enclosed (minus the holes) and place snow or water skis under it to keep it afloat?  you could then even insulate the floor!

Offline NHGunowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #165 on: Jan 06, 2015, 09:55 PM »
Depends what you mean by float...
Most shanty's won't drop to the bottom. They're wood, they hold some air, etc. At least bob at the surface.
But like float upright...nah. You'd have to build a boat under it.

Offline BobberdownLP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #166 on: Jan 07, 2015, 10:51 AM »
Sorry,

I meant to float on top of the snow.  I hear so many issues of skid houses digging into the snow and not riding on top.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #167 on: Jan 08, 2015, 07:51 PM »
Sorry,

I meant to float on top of the snow.  I hear so many issues of skid houses digging into the snow and not riding on top.

3) consider making a separate sled (like a smitty slid on steroids) to haul the shack--remove the shack from the sled when fishing.  That way it could have more ground clearance (good for deep snow and slush) but still sit directly on the ice when fishing--makes it easier to fish and less drafty.  Plus the sled could be fairly light weight also.

Offline BobberdownLP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #168 on: Jan 18, 2015, 01:23 PM »
Now I'm thinking about going this route.  http://www.menards.com/main/p-2316108-c-9485.htm.  Its constructed using a thicker coroplast.  I would build a aluminum base frame topped with 1/2" plywood.  Then, secure this to the frame frame work.  Thoughts?  I figured if the coroplast shack could withstand the winds this thing ought to.  I could always build a internal aluminum frame work for it to add strength.  i dont think I would even insulate it.  Try it as is with a buddy, and see what happens.  like the idea of double doors.  I could haul a 4 wheeler inside when on the trailer.  Make the tie downs on the trailer match the fishing holes of the ice shack.  Thoughts?

Offline NHGunowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #169 on: Jan 19, 2015, 07:15 AM »
Thats pretty neat. A prefab coroplast shed. Doesn't look very strong though. Foam insulation would add some stiffness.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #170 on: Jan 20, 2015, 08:40 PM »
BobberdownLP -

Dimensions: 6' 1-1/8" W x 7' 9-1/4" D x 7' 5-3/8" H
Shipping Dimensions: 92.5 x 43.7 x 9.4
Shipping Weight: 170.0 lbs

That prefab shack might work, but it does look heavy.  It will probably need structural re-enforcement which will also add weight.

The coroplast did not add any structural strength to the shelter.  That was provided by the stick frame, and polystyrene panels (glued into place).  Look at the pics at the start of the thread.

Good luck!
MD

Offline BobberdownLP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #171 on: Jan 21, 2015, 08:19 AM »
With the additional width, I will take the weight addition.  Also, I may take 7" off the entire assembly prior to building to reduce the height which will also reduce the weight.  There's no need to have it 7'5".  The 1" square aluminum I plan on using is actually lighter than 1x2 furring strips per foot.  Plus no rotting!  I will keep you posted on the build

Offline BobberdownLP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #172 on: Jan 23, 2015, 02:42 PM »
Well, I went the cheap route first.  Going to start with a 4 x 6 prefab coroplast shack. http://www.menards.com/main/p-2314691-c-9485.htm.  I still plan a unique ski design that I think you guys will like.  Stay tuned

Offline NHGunowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #173 on: Jan 25, 2015, 07:26 PM »
Looking forward to seeing it bobberdown. Skis and how you move it make or break a house.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #174 on: Jan 26, 2015, 09:37 PM »
Looking forward to seeing it bobberdown. Skis and how you move it make or break a house.

Me too!  Please post pictures.

MD

Offline BobberdownLP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #175 on: Jan 27, 2015, 12:33 PM »
What's the easiest way of posting pictures?

Offline Moonman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #176 on: Jan 27, 2015, 02:20 PM »
Get a free photobucket accout and then upload your pictures there. Once uploaded, open the picture you want to load to your thread here  and then you will see a bunch of options to the right of the image. Click copy, then paste the link that is generated in your thread here. Done.

Moonman.

Offline BobberdownLP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #177 on: Jan 31, 2015, 06:30 PM »

Since I have the clam auger plate, I made a docking station that will be my power supply for the lights of the ice shack

Offline BobberdownLP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #178 on: Feb 15, 2015, 04:50 PM »
Frame up..

Offline BobberdownLP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #179 on: Feb 15, 2015, 04:52 PM »
Frame down...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor