Author Topic: My take on weather forecasting.  (Read 3676 times)

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: My take on weather forecasting.
« Reply #30 on: Dec 23, 2022, 04:44 AM »
Only got maybe 2" of powdery snow tops here, but visibility is crap with the wind whipping it around.

Offline Michigan Slim

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Michigander by birth, Hoosier by force!
« Reply #31 on: Dec 23, 2022, 05:13 AM »
Been plowing drifts since 2:30am. Just broke the plow so break time.
Wawasee and Syracuse were mostly open yesterday. Kuhn looked skimmed across but I wasn't able to get a good look. All the ponds in the area are iced over good.
Heart in Michigan. Stuck in Indiana.

Offline JDH46151

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 23, 2022, 08:00 AM »
Barely anything at my place.  Can still see the grass.  But I can hear the wind whipping through the trees.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #33 on: Dec 23, 2022, 08:14 AM »
Its pretty wicked here.4ft drifts in some spots while i see grass in others.i live on a dead end road and think it will be drifted shut here soon.being surrounded by fields not helping much either.i might have to get the tractor with strap and pull my oladys truck up the road as she had to work today.

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 23, 2022, 08:27 AM »
Thermometer reading - 5 in Hobart this morning. Looks like we got about 3"-5" of snow.Looks like wind is about 10-15 mph. Have radio on and they are still predicting 40-50 mph hour winds and temps in teens. No place to go so have big pot roast in slow cooker. Going to tie  flies and stay put.
Merry Christmas to all! Stay safe!
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline jr11888

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 23, 2022, 08:32 AM »
-9 21mph gusting 33 -41 wind chill.
Think I'll wait till Monday to venture forth. Jr11888 just north of muncie.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #36 on: Dec 23, 2022, 08:54 AM »
Here's my question: If weather forecasters and economists switched jobs for 6 months would anybody notice?

Only by the only ones that are dumb enough to think they really make a difference with it !!!  They are called politicians !!!!

Offline Lee1977

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 23, 2022, 10:02 AM »
Got maybe 2” here. Went out on the pond and bored a hole, looked like about 2.5”. It didn’t crack near as much today as it did yesterday. I’m going to wait till tomorrow to get on it and fish. The good news is it’s not real slick anymore.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #38 on: Dec 23, 2022, 10:23 AM »
Whether the weather predictors are right or wrong...it's gonna happen...one way or another.  ;D
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 23, 2022, 10:27 AM »
Still way too windy here for me to try going out. I did go to the bank earlier, and there is almost 0 snow on a couple ponds I did a driveby of on the way back home. Visibility is running between terrible and absolute nada out there.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 23, 2022, 11:48 AM »
Weathermen and Women are in the only profession, that I know of, where you can be wrong "everyday" and still collect a check!   Yep, we can put a man on the moon and a spaceship on Mars, but can't tell if its going to rain tomorrow or not!
What about economists? Just wrong 1/2 the time?
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 23, 2022, 01:18 PM »
Hey if you don't like the weather man/woman...go check your Farmers Almanac!!!

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 23, 2022, 01:32 PM »
Hey if you don't like the weather man/woman...go check your Farmers Almanac!!!
My wife swears by them. Just yesterday she said we need to get a new 1. She (we), used to plan are vacations solely by the book. Worked perfect for over 10 years. Guess we got lucky?

Offline FingerLaker607

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Dec 23, 2022, 01:36 PM »
The farmers almanac is letting us down here in NY...they called a for a frigid long winter. It's not shaping up that way.  Pointing to mild/warm one after New Years, though you'd never know it today

Offline SK8TNPIGEZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 23, 2022, 01:38 PM »
IMO the weather game is the challenge regardless of the forecast.  I feel the majority of the people are in the same arena like BigR said.  If you want to get out you will play the hit or miss game then make adjustments with a backup plan.  Most of us are prol sitting on the couch waiting on the wind.  The wind is so nasty today NE Indy it’s keeping water open if it’s exposed with a west wind….Steaming with ice crystals in the air!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #45 on: Dec 23, 2022, 01:50 PM »
Forecasting..."To predict or ESTIMATE (a future event or trend)".

It's not rocket science folks.  :whistle: :roflmao:

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Dec 23, 2022, 01:51 PM »
North Indy: -9 here this morning. right at 0 at noon. About 1 1/2 - 2 inches
of pretty light snow are blowing allover the place.  Lots of wind. One minute my
yard is devoid of leaves (yay).  Next minute they all blow back (boo) i may have
to bring the ice fishin' bucket upstairs and retie a few knots.

fish on,

rivereddy

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Dec 24, 2022, 05:38 AM »
Still below 0 here this morning. Small pond ice should be in pretty good shape now  ;D

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Dec 25, 2022, 09:39 AM »
Weather forecasting IS rocket science complete with computer models and math that can make your head swim. Unfortunately things can change quickly and forecasters do the best they can. We are getting better at it.

For those that pooh pooh weather forecasts I challenge you to ignore them completely. I'll bet you can't.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #49 on: Dec 25, 2022, 10:39 AM »
Weather forecasting IS rocket science complete with computer models and math that can make your head swim. Unfortunately things can change quickly and forecasters do the best they can. We are getting better at it.

For those that pooh pooh weather forecasts I challenge you to ignore them completely. I'll bet you can't.

Yeah. My comment on rocket science was a bit of sarcasm.  ;)

But you're right. Don't like it...don't listen to 'em. I just don't get being upset with the weather predictors 'cause it rained on your parade and they said different. It's nature. And only One has control over that.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #50 on: Dec 25, 2022, 10:44 AM »
Yeah. My comment on rocket science was a bit of sarcasm.  ;)

But you're right. Don't like it...don't listen to 'em. I just don't get being upset with the weather predictors 'cause it rained on your parade and they said different. It's nature. And only One has control over that.
yup john kerry the climate czar.lol

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #51 on: Dec 25, 2022, 10:55 AM »
yup john kerry the climate czar.lol

:roflmao:

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #52 on: Dec 25, 2022, 11:51 AM »
Honestly I haven't heard a reasonable weather report from media in over a decade. For me the trend is to forecast the absolute worst even up until the last moments. This accomplishes two things: First there's some sensational news to draw viewers/listeners/readers and second, if you're wrong people laugh. Your not in trouble because everyone is happy it was only a few sprinkles instead of a day long downpour or a couple inches of snow with a 10 mph wind instead of 8 inches and 40 mph like was forecast.

If I were to do it all over that would be my job. Didn't matter if I was right. Make people feel relieved and laugh. and get paid for it...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Dec 27, 2022, 11:18 AM »
Honestly I haven't heard a reasonable weather report from media in over a decade. For me the trend is to forecast the absolute worst even up until the last moments. This accomplishes two things: First there's some sensational news to draw viewers/listeners/readers and second, if you're wrong people laugh. Your not in trouble because everyone is happy it was only a few sprinkles instead of a day long downpour or a couple inches of snow with a 10 mph wind instead of 8 inches and 40 mph like was forecast.

If I were to do it all over that would be my job. Didn't matter if I was right. Make people feel relieved and laugh. and get paid for it...

Yes the media has a tendency to hype things to get more viewers. But with forecasters they are in a Catch 22 situation. If they over-forecast people are upset. If they under-forecast people can get hurt, stranded, or even die if they go out on the roads and things go to hell.

I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.