Author Topic: Going to be an unpopular take  (Read 6277 times)

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Going to be an unpopular take
« Reply #30 on: Dec 26, 2021, 07:17 PM »
Poor fisherman? I'm blessed with a pretty good paying job and I can tell you right now I'm not going to lay out 3-4 grand by the time you buy the transducer and a large screen fish finder for this live imaging stuff. Not everyone is going to have the financial resources to buy this technology.

I'm with you on this one I'm certainly not shelling out what this new technology cost.
I can see if the price got down cheap enough where everybody could afford it. But we're a long ways from that point right now.
I've got an Vexilar fl 20 and it works good enough for me.
I think if it becomes an issue we will have to rely on our game and fish departments to set limits that protect the species particularly in the easiest access hardest hit lakes.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 26, 2021, 07:23 PM »
I know my state has already banned drones completely for any use for hunting.
I know there was a guy who set up a remote camera and a gun that was remotely controlled so that you could shoot a deer off a deer feeder on his ranch from the comfort of your own home. Supposedly he would ship the processed deer to you.
I don't think he got a single hunt done before his State shut him down on that one.
All in all though I think social media has done more harm than the live scope has for hurting certain lakes. At least up to this point.
One post on social media and the lake is covered with fishermen.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #32 on: Dec 26, 2021, 07:27 PM »
I dont need that tech or price tag to catch fish.if ive got to drill a bunch of holes to stay on them so be it.they are nice units for sure but i like fishing to be a challenge and dont  need to catch a ton of fish to enjoy the day on the ice.

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Dec 26, 2021, 07:45 PM »
Grew up ice fishing with one of these. Iced a lot of fish with it. Including some really big walleyes on Mille Lacs. And many were lost on it as well lol. Learned how to fish well with it because that was all we had and could afford. It made me a better fisherman at the time. Little in technology was available. Primarily paper lake maps and good old just get out and fish those “fishy” spots. I’m amazed at how far the industry has come since. Lake mapping and navionics are an asset to everyone. The advancement in electronics is mind blowing at times. No Livescope here….but I’m grateful to have a couple of the newer fish finders. They certainly help but are far from being a sure thing. I enjoy fishing new water and finding spots from trial and error on my own. Fish still need to be fished.
We as sportsman need to do our part to make sure we keep stock around for generations to come. We’re all temporary caretakers of the resource!

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 26, 2021, 08:11 PM »
So tired of outdoors people thinking that they should be the judge of what technology is sufficient. I see it in archery, shooting, and hunting forums. Most everyone now uses some form of advanced technology, sonar, gps rods. superline, smoother reels, mapping it goes on and on. Use what ever new technology you like BUT KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT, about what is the correct amount for others, you should only be worried about what you do and keep your damn nose out of other peoples business.

Offline Remps17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 26, 2021, 08:42 PM »
So tired of outdoors people thinking that they should be the judge of what technology is sufficient. I see it in archery, shooting, and hunting forums. Most everyone now uses some form of advanced technology, sonar, gps rods. superline, smoother reels, mapping it goes on and on. Use what ever new technology you like BUT KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT, about what is the correct amount for others, you should only be worried about what you do and keep your damn nose out of other peoples business.

Agreed.

Consume our young mentality. It’s worse in the hunting world but it’s made it’s way to ice fishing I see.

Don’t like technology don’t use technology. Don’t hate on others for using it. Simple as that.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 26, 2021, 09:01 PM »
Poor fisherman? I'm blessed with a pretty good paying job and I can tell you right now I'm not going to lay out 3-4 grand by the time you buy the transducer and a large screen fish finder for this live imaging stuff. Not everyone is going to have the financial resources to buy this technology.
I think by 'poor' he meant poor in skill not in $.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 26, 2021, 09:23 PM »
A limit is a limit.

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 27, 2021, 07:03 AM »

Why don't you take your own advice? 

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #39 on: Dec 27, 2021, 07:10 AM »
Birthday day present from my daughter a couple weeks ago   Gonna get a lot of use out of it. Just point and... ;)

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #40 on: Dec 27, 2021, 08:38 AM »
Just another stupid toy to drag around with you in my opinion.  There is only so much junk I can load up into my sled before it becomes too heavy. If you got couple grand to dump into it good for you...you still have to make them bite.  It's very popular on the YouTube channels, they must be getting some kick backs to promote that product.

Offline HardwaterPiker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 27, 2021, 11:34 AM »
I think by 'poor' he meant poor in skill not in $.

Your right, but whether you’re poor ( no skill) or poor (no money), this tech is geared for professional anglers or professional social media moguls that are in it for the money and most likely are sponsored to the gills to be able to afford it. I’m by no means against anyone using it if they can afford to do it. I watched a few tubers using it and it caught my interest until I looked up how much it cost, then I lost interest pretty quickly.
ICE FISHING - We're all here because we ain't all there!

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Dec 27, 2021, 11:41 AM »
Well, if I had the extra money, I'd be getting it.  Not for YouTube clicks or tournament winnings, but because I don't get very much time to fish.  Locating fish in a more efficient manner is the name of the ice fishing game.  I do just fine with my flasher, but that doesn't mean that I couldn't cut my searching time down dramatically with a forward facing type of sonar like these.  The cost is high, but I could justify it considering I could use the system all year in the boat or on ice.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 27, 2021, 11:47 AM »
I could afford live imaging, if I had to, but I am pretty happy where I am as far as how much stuff I drag around on the ice. Ice fishing is a bit like hunting for morels or huckleberries- searching and finally finding is a big part of the satisfaction, and how you do it is an important choice. Given a choice, I would take a great fishing partner before I took another great piece of tech- it would increase my enjoyment more. That said, those that choose to focus on technology are free to do so.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #44 on: Dec 27, 2021, 11:47 AM »
It definitely takes more skill to catch fish than to find them. Locating (and seeing) them isn't even a craft anymore...catching them is and always will be. Case in point...I spend DAYS fishing Walleye on Lake Erie during the "off ice" season. Not hard to find them at all...over 3 million of them in there. But if you don't have the right lure (style and color), the right depth and speed of the boat you ain't catching. You're just out there driving around looking at them on your graphs.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #45 on: Dec 27, 2021, 11:50 AM »

"you should only be worried about what you do and keep your damn nose out of other peoples business."

And that's the attitude that just causes issues, unless I read you wrong. No ethics or sportsmanship involved there. Use something that should be considered illegal, or detrimental, but keep it to yourself? We're all stewards of the land, at least REAL sportsman are, and who better to provide input for sustainability/DNR regs for propagation of species for future enjoyment ? Some don't-have-a-clue knotheads in Washington, DC?
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Remps17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 27, 2021, 11:56 AM »
"you should only be worried about what you do and keep your damn nose out of other peoples business."

And that's the attitude that just causes issues, unless I read you wrong. No ethics or sportsmanship involved there. Use something that should be considered illegal, or detrimental, but keep it to yourself? We're all stewards of the land, at least REAL sportsman are, and who better to provide input for sustainability/DNR regs for propagation of species for future enjoyment ? Some don't-have-a-clue knotheads in Washington, DC?

Maybe I am not understanding you. But should be considered illegal. Your saying electronics should be illegal?

Does someone keeping a limit not make them a “real” sportsman?

Offline Uglymug

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Dec 27, 2021, 11:59 AM »
I mean, do they really do anything that a decent fishing camera didn't do? I guess that's where I'm getting a bit lost. A flasher points downwards into a cone that will give you a sonar reading of the bottom directly below you in a cone shape. And generally, it's a lot more flexible with working at different depths too, right?  So it looks to me like it works the same as a fish camera in that it gives you a side view of the fish and bait, it probably works better in muddy or tannic water I guess. Maybe there's some features it has that makes it worth it, but I've had reliable, used cars that cost less than the setup for one of those.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #48 on: Dec 27, 2021, 12:16 PM »
I dont have a problem with the state of the art fishfinders.in reality it comes down to the sportsmen using them.theres 2 kinds,one that will harvest every damn fish they can all week and the sportsman that likes to preserve fishing for future generations and only takes what is needed.the right tool in the wrong hands times however many harvester fishermen there are on a lake could have a impact for sure.jmo

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #49 on: Dec 27, 2021, 12:22 PM »
I'll have a hard time keeping my mouth shut, when I see people taking way more than their daily limit.  As for keeping my mouth shut on the equipment they use, if the equipment being used is legal, then I'll keep my mouth shut.  If they are using gill nets, which are illegal, for perch or walleye and I see it  I'll report them.  As for me using legal equipment, I can't tell you the number of times I've had people, on here, tell me that I shouldn't use a 10 inch auger while fishing for hog walleyes on the Saginaw Bay.  They really do need to keep their mouth shut.
you telling me to keep my mouth shut?lol

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #50 on: Dec 27, 2021, 12:26 PM »
Maybe I am not understanding you. But should be considered illegal. Your saying electronics should be illegal?

Does someone keeping a limit not make them a “real” sportsman?

You're not. Way off understanding, unfortunately. Please don't put words in my mouth if you don't follow. Clarification:  I'm talking ATTITUDES, not electronics or limits. Keeping a limit is the PROPER thing to do. I'm talking in general about those that do WHAT THEY FEEL is right and it's OK if you don't say anything. Gear, electronics, etc is fine. Just like guns are. It's how they ARE UTILIZED for the sport that are the issues in question.

I also agree with the others who understand what I'm saying....

I'll have a hard time keeping my mouth shut, when I see people taking way more than their daily limit.  As for keeping my mouth shut on the equipment they use, if the equipment being used is legal, then I'll keep my mouth shut.  If they are using gill nets, which are illegal, for perch or walleye and I see it  I'll report them.  As for me using legal equipment, I can't tell you the number of times I've had people, on here, tell me that I shouldn't use a 10 inch auger while fishing for hog walleyes on the Saginaw Bay.  They really do need to keep their mouth shut. 

I dont have a problem with the state of the art fishfinders.in reality it comes down to the sportsmen using them.theres 2 kinds,one that will harvest every damn fish they can all week and the sportsman that likes to preserve fishing for future generations and only takes what is needed.the right tool in the wrong hands times however many harvester fishermen there are on a lake could have a impact for sure.jmo

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #51 on: Dec 27, 2021, 02:17 PM »
Technology is a double edged sword, just like a knife can be. Just depends who's hands it's in, and how/what it's used for.

Personally, I'd love to get my hands on a panoptix style system, and I'm sure I'd have tons of fun with it. I've already spend a good number of days on ice thinking that I wish I had one.

That being said, although I can afford one, I simply don't see myself shelling out that kind of money for a toy that currently costs more than all the rest of my ice gear combined. Hoping the price comes down a bit for used / older models now that Humminbird and Lowrance are in the game.

Offline Remps17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Dec 27, 2021, 02:33 PM »
You're not. Way off understanding, unfortunately. Please don't put words in my mouth if you don't follow. Clarification:  I'm talking ATTITUDES, not electronics or limits. Keeping a limit is the PROPER thing to do. I'm talking in general about those that do WHAT THEY FEEL is right and it's OK if you don't say anything. Gear, electronics, etc is fine. Just like guns are. It's how they ARE UTILIZED for the sport that are the issues in question.

I also agree with the others who understand what I'm saying....

Not putting words in your mouth.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Dec 27, 2021, 03:01 PM »
It definitely takes more skill to catch fish than to find them. Locating (and seeing) them isn't even a craft anymore...catching them is and always will be. Case in point...I spend DAYS fishing Walleye on Lake Erie during the "off ice" season. Not hard to find them at all...over 3 million of them in there. But if you don't have the right lure (style and color), the right depth and speed of the boat you ain't catching. You're just out there driving around looking at them on your graphs.
That is a great fishery you have there. In Alberta our situation is quite different for walleye. The majority of our lakes are all on a "draw" for walleye in three sizes A B C with B and C being the smaller sizes and the C over the 50cm length and only 2 allowed. There are a few lakes with an open season for walleye usually 1or 2 over 50 but they are rare. You are only allowed one draw (approx. cost 3.50)for the entire year any other lakes you want to keep walleye from have to be in one of the open lakes and yes they get a lot of pressure but are usually large lakes and more in the northern part of the province which are much less populated.
For us finding walleye is often much more difficult than catching them. I never ice fish a lake for walleye that I have not fished in the summer and have GPS (usually mid lake) structure already marked for ice fishing.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #54 on: Dec 27, 2021, 04:02 PM »
It depends on your perspective.

It can be used with great effect to maximize your time on the ice. its a lot easier to pop a hole and scan around than it is to pop a bunch and hop holes until you find a mark.

It also can be used by a somewhat novice fisherman to catch more fish, more often.

Tech isn't going to stop, its in our nature to innovate, constantly. 

15 yrs ago, if you told me there would be live imaging and sonars you can use through your cell phone, graphs, split zooms, side imaging... I would of thought you were nuts. Yet here we are.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #55 on: Dec 27, 2021, 04:06 PM »
We used to joke around in high school (early 70's) how cool it would be if there ever would be anything like the flip-open communicators on Star Trek... ::)

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Dec 27, 2021, 04:07 PM »
15 yrs ago, if you told me there would be live imaging and sonars you can use through your cell phone, graphs, split zooms, side imaging... I would of thought you were nuts. Yet here we are.

Great point about the spit zooms.  I hadn't even thought about that.  Jigging for crappies in brush that's 20-30' is a lot more efficient with split zoom.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Dec 27, 2021, 05:00 PM »
I use 2D sonar on split zoom when fishing deep brush.  The first zoom will show me the whole water column so I can see any high flyers and for if I lure one up out of the brush by a few feet.  The second zoom will be zoomed in to show me the bottom to the top of the brush (probably 8' tall). 

I can see more separation at the bottom and in the brush pile since the screen is only showing 8', so you can see your lure and fish better.  I would estimate that 90% of the time I'm only concerned with the bottom 8' or so.  Watching for your lure and fish moving in brush is just easier when the screen is zoomed to 8' instead of 28'.  But I still want a full screen for if I have a fish that is following a lure up but not committing and to see any suspended fish that may swim in higher.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Dec 27, 2021, 05:22 PM »
My marcum has adjustable zoom so one side you can watch the entire water column and the other set to zoom anywhere in the column or bottom.  Works great for when those trout or pike come by up high.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Dec 27, 2021, 10:39 PM »
the more technology we are offered, the more reliant we become on that technology.
It takes all the "learning" out of fishing.

It has become the "Ironman Syndrome"

With any amount of money, even a simple person will think they are a superhero/expert.
Knowledge is not acquired thru experience, just bought and paid for.

Then they complain when the technology doesn't catch the fish for them.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.