Author Topic: Sally  (Read 8899 times)

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Sally
« Reply #60 on: Feb 03, 2021, 07:18 AM »
Agree and Agree, Kevs!!!
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline teardrop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Feb 03, 2021, 09:26 AM »
It seems that was the way it used to be everywhere back in the 70s and early 80s. Might be that people 'fished out' all the large fish and over time we have been depleting the stock. Even see some bragging about their catch on other sites, 100 plus fish or more. Some of the 'old timers' (fellas in their 50s-60s) I used to fish with in the 70s would say that people shouldn't take more than meal from a lake. We wouldn't keep more than 25 gills or crappie. I'm not talking about 6"-8". Hard pressed to catch the size fish we used to bring home in the 70s or early 80s. Now people get excited over a 12"-14" crappie or 10" gill. Shorties. Now it's all about facebook fame. Idiots.
Im not sure about everywhere, but goose creek at missy gave up some hogs also. I remember as a kid fishing with my dad before the dam  went in. The salimonie was a good river I remember fishing below the Dora covered Bridge in the fall. No crappie but we caught some great channel cats back then.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Feb 03, 2021, 09:52 AM »
I didn't know there was a covered bridge around Dora.  Was it in the approx. area of the dam?  That sure is a pretty area down there with the stone cliffs.

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
« Reply #63 on: Feb 03, 2021, 10:11 AM »
They floated it away when the res. was flooded.  Not sure where it went but I can remember pics about it.  I was probably 11 or 12 yrs old then.  Early 60's.  I remember it was a big deal.

Offline krh76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Feb 03, 2021, 01:52 PM »
If you have Facebook here is a link with some info on the Dora covered bridge

https://www.facebook.com/131875770580795/posts/1042639072837789/?d=n

Or it may open without I’m not sure

Offline krh76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Feb 03, 2021, 01:56 PM »
I think the pond they are talking about is one that is west of the boat ramp. I can vaguely remember it there when I fished with my grandpa

Offline teardrop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Feb 03, 2021, 02:42 PM »
I didn't know there was a covered bridge around Dora.  Was it in the approx. area of the dam?  That sure is a pretty area down there with the stone cliffs.
If you launch at Dora boat ramp you drive on some of the old Dora road. The road curved through the little town down to the bridge and across the river. When Dora was demolished many of the houses were moved. The school children of the county had many fund raisers to pay for moving the bridge and it was located on the pond going down to the boat ramp. Some A-holes burnt it down in the middle 70’s. One a side note my dad caught his Personal best crappie out of that pond in the early 80’s through the ice.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Feb 03, 2021, 05:34 PM »
Interesting info folks!

Offline Oaktree1215

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Look at them cheeks!
« Reply #68 on: Feb 03, 2021, 07:35 PM »

Offline Ace in the Hole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Feb 04, 2021, 09:59 PM »
A friend of mine and his wife camped with me at the primitive campsite one time back in the 70's. It was in the weekday and not many campers or people. We were sitting around the campfire about 1am and noticed a light up the lake towards the dam. The light kept getting brighter, we knew something was on fire. We drove toward the light which lead us to the pond with covered bridge on it.....blazing away. The bridge was completely afire and had started to fall down on the logs it sat. No one was around but us. Cell phones werent invented yet so we drove back to 105 to Joe and Pegs to use the phonebooth to call it in. The phone didnt work so we decided to go back to the campground so we wouldnt get blamed for the fire. We saw no other vehicles to or from the fire. Other than us seeing the bridge blazing away we couldnt have offered any other info. My friend and his wife have both passed.

Offline teardrop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Feb 06, 2021, 03:08 AM »
If you launch at Dora boat ramp you drive on some of the old Dora road. The road curved through the little town down to the bridge and across the river. When Dora was demolished many of the houses were moved. The school children of the county had many fund raisers to pay for moving the bridge and it was located on the pond going down to the boat ramp. Some A-holes burnt it down in the middle 70’s. One a side note my dad caught his Personal best crappie out of that pond in the early 80’s through the ice.
I guess it was 1985 when it was burnt, sorry about the wrong info. Memory is a funny thing, and gets funnier as you get older.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Feb 06, 2021, 06:51 AM »
That's why it's always important someone took good notes!  I worry about some of the "notes" being taken nowadays!!!

Offline Ace in the Hole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Feb 06, 2021, 12:56 PM »
Thought it was in the 80s but wasnt sure so used the previous mentioned date. After thinking some we were in the modern campground, not primitive.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.