New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Grandfather gave me these 15 years ago  (Read 4488 times)

Offline nykonsdream

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Grandfather gave me these 15 years ago
« Reply #30 on: Jan 17, 2021, 08:28 AM »
Would be a shame not to use them. Give em a dangle
.... AND TO THE FISHING GODS WE SHALL PRAY

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 17, 2021, 11:28 AM »
I could be granddad and know all those nice jigs. Use them just like grandpa did because the fish have not progressed over the years like the tackle industry has. If they caught fish back in the 1950s they will catch fish today. One thing that can be said for almost all fishing lures, they tend to catch more fisherman than they do fish!
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #32 on: Jan 17, 2021, 06:14 PM »
Ohspit...

Saw the subject line and it made me think of everything I have and STILL use - that my grandfather gave me.  My tackle box, my boat, my camp, my gun cabinet...all filled with passed down gear.  His gas powered Jiffy auger from the 70's still runs like a watch.  No lie.

Allow me a brief tribute to my Grandfather...

Part of the greatest generation in WWII  - he flew C-54s over the hump - China/Burma/India.

Back home - he was my mentor in the field - we ran Beagles in field trials...hunted rabbits, grouse, pheasant, woodcock, ducks and geese and deer.

On the water we iced fished most lakes between Binghamton and Oneida Lake.  Caught native Brook Trout until our arms were tired in Potter County, PA - and he took me on annual trips to Quebec for Walleye and Northern Pike on the Cabonga Resevoir System in LaVerendrye Park.  He taught me how to pour jig molds and tie jigs. 

I can still hear him coaching me when I sight in a gun, set a hook, or prepare for a fishing trip.  Calm and methodical.

Best part is...he is still with us at 98 years old and sharp as a tack - and get this...he's got a girlfriend (think Burgess Meredith in Grumpy old men).

You got very good advise - when others told you to set a couple items aside for posterity - but to use the rest...that is what I have done.

Thank you for the trip down memory lane - and thanks for starting the thread, Ohspit...I hope I can have half of the impact on my Grandchildren as Gramps had (has) on me.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline Ohspit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 17, 2021, 07:14 PM »
Ohspit...

Saw the subject line and it made me think of everything I have and STILL use - that my grandfather gave me.  My tackle box, my boat, my camp, my gun cabinet...all filled with passed down gear.  His gas powered Jiffy auger from the 70's still runs like a watch.  No lie.

Allow me a brief tribute to my Grandfather...

Part of the greatest generation in WWII  - he flew C-54s over the hump - China/Burma/India.

Back home - he was my mentor in the field - we ran Beagles in field trials...hunted rabbits, grouse, pheasant, woodcock, ducks and geese and deer.

On the water we iced fished most lakes between Binghamton and Oneida Lake.  Caught native Brook Trout until our arms were tired in Potter County, PA - and he took me on annual trips to Quebec for Walleye and Northern Pike on the Cabonga Resevoir System in LaVerendrye Park.  He taught me how to pour jig molds and tie jigs. 

I can still hear him coaching me when I sight in a gun, set a hook, or prepare for a fishing trip.  Calm and methodical.

Best part is...he is still with us at 98 years old and sharp as a tack - and get this...he's got a girlfriend (think Burgess Meredith in Grumpy old men).

You got very good advise - when others told you to set a couple items aside for posterity - but to use the rest...that is what I have done.

Thank you for the trip down memory lane - and thanks for starting the thread, Ohspit...I hope I can have half of the impact on my Grandchildren as Gramps had (has) on me.

So awesome to read, like you I spent summers with my gramps up in Saranac lake area hunting, fishing just enjoying the outdoors in general.

We didn't ice fish a whole lot. Maybe that's what took me so long to commit to buying all the gear I need but now that I've got the stuff I need im headfirst in to it.

Offline frozen fingers

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 20, 2021, 01:36 PM »
I still use the bobber roll The two different movements I liked was when the bobber rolled faster or suddenly stopped dead--fish on

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 20, 2021, 11:29 PM »
I still use the bobber roll The two different movements I liked was when the bobber rolled faster or suddenly stopped dead--fish on
Those were the days, only trouble is when you fish outside the wind blows your line and screws up your roll.  I have since changed over to a flat spring bobber and they indicate the slightest bite.  Loved the bobber but won't go back.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.