New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: “SANDY POND “by Boggey  (Read 136323 times)

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: “SANDY POND “by Boggey
« Reply #870 on: Feb 20, 2023, 05:06 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Well it’s happening. Got Stu and BigBuck to head up to Eel Bay this morning. What a crew. Sure to have a yarn or two to share this evening. Mean time, stay safe on the Pond while we are gone.
Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #871 on: Feb 20, 2023, 05:10 AM »
i went   to my  spot close to you a couple times  ....and yes the  pickerel population is  on the rise ....i wish more people would talk a few home  it would  help manage the population and  when  done  right a decent  dinner  can be  had ....... i  had a couple good days chasing flags ........ be real careful  out there  .......if your  not seasoned    you would  be better off staying home  just my 2 cents  ......bogg i stoped  and talked to a  amish man fishing in the  famaous  concret perch palace  the other day was   small area  open but he was  getting a few smaller  fish .....it will be on soon

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #872 on: Feb 21, 2023, 05:20 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

A day away from the Pond was welcome for BigBuck, Stu and me who made the trek to Eel Bay. Let us say, Eel bay was kind to us after a slow morning. Not to mention taking some stress of the Pond perch population from these three top perch predators. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thank you BigBuck for bringing the wheeler as that is one big Bay.
Thought I would send a picture of BigBuck’s perch take. Also show you how fast old Boggey converted them to beautiful pink filets.
Really enjoyed the company.

Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #873 on: Feb 21, 2023, 05:24 AM »
Yo Jim , nice job pal.  👍👍👍
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline walter_rev

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #874 on: Feb 21, 2023, 06:25 AM »
Boggey , HOw long of a walk to the perch waters on eel,I have two bad hips but love icefishing and the walk takes its toll on me.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #875 on: Feb 21, 2023, 09:30 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

A day away from the Pond was welcome for BigBuck, Stu and me who made the trek to Eel Bay. Let us say, Eel bay was kind to us after a slow morning. Not to mention taking some stress of the Pond perch population from these three top perch predators. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thank you BigBuck for bringing the wheeler as that is one big Bay.
Thought I would send a picture of BigBuck’s perch take. Also show you how fast old Boggey converted them to beautiful pink filets.
Really enjoyed the company.

Great job fellas.
Be safe rest of the season this guy has spent all his travel days and needs to get farm work started before I get back to work full time.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Stu45

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start 'em young
« Reply #876 on: Feb 21, 2023, 09:53 AM »
Another great weekend spent on the ice.  As Bogey mentioned, we met up Saturday about as far north as you could safely fish with 5ish" of safe ice.  Put a hurting on the perch, cooked up a little of lunch for all my friends there with me, even the Bogey who had to stay "on the other side of the crack" that day as it wasn't safe to cross. He received his meal via airdrop.  Most of us all ended up at the club to share stretched truths and hope to win some prizes.  Sunday was a bit slow, still managed a few keepers but had to work.  Possibly the last good ice for the Pond as it was getting sketchy when we walked off around 1.  Unless we get a streak of cold cold weather.  And then there was Monday.  Made the trek with Bogey and BigBuck to Eel bay (nice to meet you Chris).  BigBuck and I struggled through several little guys but managed some keepers in the morning and then it picked up.  It may have taken a move over towards Bogey and his lucky hole to change my day but regardless,  the day picked up and I brought home more keepers than I have in a long time.  Thanks for the invite Jim, a good time was had by all.  Hopefully there'll be another weekend or two in there somewhere.  I don't normally write a book like this, but I guess that shows the appreciation I have a my friends and a good weekend on the ice.  Tight lines and be safe!!     ;D
There's a difference between having ten years experience and repeating your Rookie year 10 times!

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #877 on: Feb 21, 2023, 07:10 PM »
Yo Waiter rev.

I guess it’s all about where the fish are. Unfortunately, it’s been about a mile walk out to the hotspot. Fortunately this last outing (Monday) our good friend BigBuck accompanied us and brought his wheeler. I went the week before and had to walk it. Got to tell you, it was rough. Up hill both ways  :cookoo: :cookoo:

Seriously, I can sympathize, getting my new total knee replacement next month. Strategically scheduled the operation at the end of ice season. I pray you will get some form of relief for your hip pain my friend.
Yo Beenperchin, hope you had a good season my friend and filled the freezer with soms perch.

Yo Stu, they are predicting some real cold temps this weekend. Don’t know if it will come in time to save our ice mat. The wind is howling out there at this writing and may very well be tolling the death knell for vast parts of the Pond, particularly the North end. I will write a report in the morning with my observations.

Gratefully I am sending my old friend, BigBuck back to the foothills of PA with a full locker of perch. I am a fish cleaning fool . Don’t let that secret out.🤫
Boggey

BigBuck on his way back to Dallas PA with his perch booty. Left this morning to avoid bad ice and weather conditions forecast for this afternoon.

Offline ice4066

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #878 on: Feb 21, 2023, 07:45 PM »
Great job nice fish!

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #879 on: Feb 22, 2023, 06:46 AM »
Nice picture....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline walter_rev

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #880 on: Feb 22, 2023, 07:01 AM »
Thanks for getting back to me,I hear knee replacement is much harder and longer rehab than hip replacement.I had my left hip replaced and now im going to get the other one soon. Good luck with your surgery and again thanks for your response. I guess we might try it next week and walk as  far as we can.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #881 on: Feb 22, 2023, 09:32 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Made the rounds around the Pond this morning. As I said last Monday, your next trip out of Green Point will most likely be in a boat barring a mammoth refreezing event.

Open water over at Stanley (State Ramp)

The Elms was all open water yesterday with a thin ice cover this morning which will blow off at the slightest whisper of a wind.

Oddly enough there were 2 fishermen out at the South end of the Pond. Don’t know where they accessed. The Ontario Dr ramp had about a 3’ jump to get to the ice, even then, don’t know what kind of ice you would be jumping to.
Took a picture

Lastly there was a 2’ jump to get on the ice at the WigWam ramp, none of which I would try as I was alone and didn’t have a plank with me.

Needless to say, I didn’t get out on the ice to spud or cut a hole to verify thickness as I was alone. Further, I hesitate somewhat to even mention there was someone else out on the ice with the inference it was OK to be out there.

In closing I will be terminating my observations and conditions reports for the season. Any further comments might be misconstrued as potential recommendations to access under less than safe ice conditions.

It has been a short but good year on the Pond for me. I will be ending my season at Eel,LOTI, Goose and Chippewa until they fade away as well. When I see or hear from you all next, hopefully I will have my new knee and be as good as ever.
Bye for now, Boggey

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #882 on: Feb 22, 2023, 10:34 AM »
Yo Boogey,

I don’t fish the pond but enjoy reading your observations. I am sure that they are beneficial for those who do fish it. Great job!

Stay well!

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #883 on: Feb 22, 2023, 11:40 AM »
Yo Boggey,

Never fish Sandy Pond but always enjoy reading your posts.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery from your upcoming surgery.

Offline bigbuck326

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 570 240 2001
« Reply #884 on: Feb 22, 2023, 01:14 PM »
thanks, Boggery to stayed at his warm hospitality and enjoying with Old Guy and the new guy STU guy too, and ice fishing first time fished on eel bay really awesome, and never seen many perch schooling on 4 feet of water, and made me busy run running on tip-downs nonstop what a Burnt out I took 38 keepers 9 in up. what a day for us   Cant wait go back again next 2 weeks as well depending on Ice Condition at least my best ice-fishing reporter is Old Guy James lol take care your knee gets well ,,,,,

Offline Goodiejay27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #885 on: Feb 22, 2023, 11:51 PM »
Say it isn't so Boggey!  Your not fishing the pond this weekend?  Gonna be cold enough to build that ice back up?

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #886 on: Feb 23, 2023, 07:00 AM »
Say it isn't so Boggey!  Your not fishing the pond this weekend?  Gonna be cold enough to build that ice back up?
I pray so, but not going to push it. A lot of hidden surprises under that snow cover. Open water areas lightly covered by snow , open pressure cracks, gas holes and some huge drain holes. We got 5 inches of snow last night. Please proceed with caution.

Boggey

Offline Goodiejay27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #887 on: Feb 24, 2023, 10:59 AM »
Boggey

Realistically do you think there will be fishable ice Sunday/Monday?  You can PM me if you want. 

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #888 on: Feb 25, 2023, 05:09 AM »
Jim...

Best of luck with knee surgery,,, Saw the pond a couple days ago and reached the same conclusions.

I'm currently up on Wellesley Island staying at my brothers place...looking to get out on LOTI later this morning...might be coming up next weekend too if weather / ice conditions permit.

Tight Lines...you take care, Jim

~ArkAngel
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #889 on: Feb 25, 2023, 05:29 AM »

Good luck and speedy recovery Jim

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #890 on: Feb 25, 2023, 06:56 AM »
boggy  best of  luck  buddy  if ya  need  some  help around the place  till ya  heal   drop a  dime  buddy

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #891 on: Feb 25, 2023, 07:14 AM »
Yo ArkAngel

Glad to hear from you my friend.
I will be fishing Eel Bay on Wellesley. Maybe hit De Wolfe if no bite at Eel.

Yo Freddy,
I’d be lying were I to say I am not apprehensive over the knee replacement, but I know I can’t continue with the continual degradation of function and pain I am suffering.

I still have one month on the old bones to drag myself out and back. I pray all will be well. Thank you for the positive thoughts.

Boggey

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #892 on: Feb 25, 2023, 08:09 AM »
 I’m sure things will go well as you will do what needs to be done after the replacement to get back to your favorite sport

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #893 on: Feb 25, 2023, 08:53 AM »
Yo ArkAngel

Glad to hear from you my friend.
I will be fishing Eel Bay on Wellesley. Maybe hit De Wolfe if no bite at Eel.

Yo Freddy,
I’d be lying were I to say I am not apprehensive over the knee replacement, but I know I can’t continue with the continual degradation of function and pain I am suffering.

I still have one month on the old bones to drag myself out and back. I pray all will be well. Thank you for the positive thoughts.

Boggey

Jim - My mom had knee replacement surgery on Tuesday. She is getting around just fine everyday.

She was in the office for surgery for less than 7 hours and back home that afternoon.

Ping me if you need any info.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #894 on: Feb 25, 2023, 09:23 AM »
Yo Jim knees are not bad. I’m putting off the hip surgery for now. Getting my last injection and it’s surgery next..
 And I’m like a year or two younger than you pal..🤣🤣🤣
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #895 on: Feb 25, 2023, 10:15 AM »
My brother had both of his knees done at the same time. That was quite a few years ago. I don't think they will do both now at the same time. The wife had one of hers done about 8/9 years ago. For the most I still have all the original parts.  Got some venison chili going in the crock-pot today....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Goodiejay27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #896 on: Feb 25, 2023, 04:36 PM »
Have heard from multiple sources that there's 5 inces of ice and a ton of guys out at Wigwam. 

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #897 on: Feb 25, 2023, 10:25 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

First of all, I just may have sung my “Swan Song “ on the Pond a bit prematurely. At least, approximately 22 shanties and multiple pail sitters thought so yesterday, Saturday.

This was an observation and I am not posting conditions herein. There were no shanties or evidence of entry at the North end of the Pond, only directly in front of WigWam and South towards Eddies Cove. Again be safe, cautious and spud spud spud.

Thank you all for your encouragement and best wishes regarding the knee replacement.

As this evening’s temperatures are in the low single digits for the second consecutive night, I will again make the rounds in the morning to make an ice conditions report for the South end only.

Boggey

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #898 on: Feb 26, 2023, 05:12 AM »
J-Bogg...

My brother and I got a late start yesterday - hit DeWolf and parking was at a premium..!  A couple dozen shanties scattered throughout.

Found 13 FOW not too far out from the launch - Vexilar was lighting up the rest of the day. 

We dropped an Aqua-Vu down there and there was an enormous amount of activity all the time.  At times - we'd have 8 - 10 perch and bluegill on the screen.  Watching them approach our presentation was educational.  At times they'd slowly fin their way to the bait and grab only the tail of the fathead like they were sipping from a straw.  Other times they'd rush in and nail it.  Iron Decoys - Pimples - Buckshot Rattle spoons and ice tics were all employed but the lure of the day was Wonderbread Spoon.  It iced more - and larger fish.

Sorted thru a bunch of dinks...but iced a dozen true jumbos .

Like any trip - the best part was spending time with my brother...and yukking it up in the warmth of the hub tent.  The heater provided warmed up Brats and yesterdays leftover pizza - a culinary delight on the windswept plains of LOTI.  Saw machines criss-crossing LOTI in all directions.  We measure exactly 13" (yes, thats correct,,,13 inches) of ice

The weekend didn't stop there.  John and I got lazy and hit O'Briens in Clayton after coming off the ice - and GLAD we did..!  After ordering our meal - we looked up and saw a long lost cousin that we were close to "Back in the Day".  She and her husband we up checking on their cottage on the river...! 

So here we are - my brother with a place on Wellesley - myself with a place on Sandy Pond and a cousin with a place on the mainland river - and unaware that we were all so close to one another..!

Stories were told and memories recaptured - long lost relative's were buried and their memories resurrected...!  What a fortunate coincidence.

We've already made plans to get together this summer..!

Jim, let me chime in with others before me ... my/our camp(s) will be open in just a few weeks and we'll be at the Pond weekends.  If you need absolutely anything just send up a text and it will be done.

Tentatively planning to come to Pond or Wellesley at least 1 more time to hit the ice.  THANK YOU for the Pond updates...you are a gentleman and a scholar...!

~ArkAngel
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #899 on: Feb 26, 2023, 06:22 AM »
Jim. I had a total knee replacement 3 yrs ago on August 6.  If you want the nitty gritty of the daily recovery pm me.
End result, that knee feels great but lacks the total mobility I once had by just a little. I was able to climb in my
Tree stands that fall and ice fish the following winter.  My only regret is that I did not get the other knee done a year later and will probably have to real soon.
One word of caution. The pain killers they gave me were way too strong. Advil and Tylenol worked better without the side effects of those heavy duty pain killers. Try to take as little as possible and still be comfortable.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.