Author Topic: Trout catch and release discussion  (Read 5338 times)

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Trout catch and release discussion
« Reply #30 on: Jan 10, 2021, 04:02 PM »
Nostalgia is a powerful drug, glad I can remember it all I spose.
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Steamtrain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 10, 2021, 05:38 PM »
Time to drop open water closing date on trout ponds
Oct 15

Why?

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 10, 2021, 06:17 PM »
Joe, Frank,  Denny will tell where I use to catch 5 - 12 lb. trout every year.  That was the result of stocking selected trout strains in big Conn. River waters.  Now they not only won't stock but won't even answer an email when I ask about it.  With cold temps here now I might try for pike instead.  Now that I'm good at pike fillets I think they taste as good as walleye.

Offline Ryan51993

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 10, 2021, 06:22 PM »
Stocked trout taste like **** compared to panfish and most people I know either give them away or let them sit in the freezer for years. Its weird how many people insist on keeping them just to let them rot.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 10, 2021, 06:33 PM »
I know more then a few people who eat all of the stockers they catch (legally). They buy licenses, fill the freezer, and happily eat a free-ish meal.

There’s few enough of us outdoorsman as it is. We don’t need to badmouth the LEGAL fishermen who happen to have different opinions/practices than us.

Now if you want to change the laws, or regulations that’s a more productive conversation.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 10, 2021, 08:52 PM »
Well said you can't get mad at people for doing things legally it's not their fault its biologists.. I agree I think all stocked trout taste like **** I'll take a whitey anyday over a trout. All my trout go back except for an occasional large laker.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: Jan 10, 2021, 11:42 PM »
Stocked trout taste like **** compared to panfish and most people I know either give them away or let them sit in the freezer for years. Its weird how many people insist on keeping them just to let them rot.

This is every single guy I know who keeps them, I gotta meet these guys Zwiggles knows. He’s right, there is few enough of us as it is. It’s also only a few of the select few who ruin it for us. Though I think it would be nice, I’m sick of rules and restrictions Newly appearing. I’m sick of any new laws or rules in all aspects of life. I’d rather it all stay the same, I’ll be hunting anyway.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 11, 2021, 05:14 AM »
Joe, Frank,  Denny will tell where I use to catch 5 - 12 lb. trout every year.  That was the result of stocking selected trout strains in big Conn. River waters.  Now they not only won't stock but won't even answer an email when I ask about it.  With cold temps here now I might try for pike instead.  Now that I'm good at pike fillets I think they taste as good as walleye.

Dick I will never tell anyone where you took me. Maybe we can fish it when the ice gets safe.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 11, 2021, 05:37 AM »
I eat stocked brookies (best) and an occasional brown. Bows have too many small bones. I never ate s**t so I don't know if they taste like that. Can someone tell us what s**t tastes like? It probably tastes better with corn in it.  :wacko:  I don't freeze trout only eat them fresh. It comes down to how you cook them. Nothing fancy to my recipe roll them in flour, panko and seasonings then stuff them with onions and chopped mushrooms if you have them. Cook on low then turn to high to crispen the skin. Add rice and fiddleheads (I do freeze them).... I do have a problem with people freezing fish and throwing them out later.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Jan 11, 2021, 05:38 AM »
You know what it tastes like, a fresh stocked fish, with Brookies best!  ;D

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 11, 2021, 05:45 AM »

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 11, 2021, 05:51 AM »

I'll text Carl he has eaten both I'll see what he thinks.

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jan 11, 2021, 05:56 AM »
I think limits should be adjusted to promote management of healthy fisheries vs stocking for put and take. I know the S-codes in Maine are a pain in the butt to figure sometimes but I do think (anecdotally anyhow) they are working to build some better than average fisheries. I think the management on a waterbody level just works better but i get that it takes a lot of resources to do the research required to determine plans of action. Now i'll admit my own personal bias for wild trout enters into this as I'm pretty much a lake trout and brookie guy so take that as you will. I'll also say I'm for taking of fish within reason. I love smoked lake trout, lemon butter dill baked lakers with aged sharp cheddar/crackers (especially the smaller ones you can keep from places like newfound) and a wild brookie sandwich (haven't had one in a while with the low water years and I don't want to damage local populations when they're already stressed). I don't keep trophy's, its not my thing. A photo and a memory does it for me.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Jan 11, 2021, 05:58 AM »
Also, great thread Hennikerbassin. I've really enjoyed seeing the varying perspectives.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Jan 11, 2021, 06:12 AM »
I'll text Carl he has eaten both I'll see what he thinks.

It's no big deal
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 11, 2021, 07:54 AM »
I’ve found if your ice fishing for trout many of them are going to die. Many times you don’t get to the trap in time before it swallows the bait, sometimes you are right there and they still get hooked deep. It needs to Just about swallow the bait to get a good hookup anyways so how long do you wait? It’s an imperfect science. The jawjacker is good for catch and release although I’ve still killed fish with it. Catch and release is much more easily practiced with a fly or lure, the nature of ice fishing being bait fishing makes it tough. Jigging crappie and perch and trout also works in terms of good survival rates but if i am using anything with a treble hook it goes down.

I think ice fishing for trout, you should be prepared to keep your limit because you will catch a bleeder at some point , especially using traps, and the chances of survival for that fish are low.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Jan 11, 2021, 08:53 AM »
This is every single guy I know who keeps them, I gotta meet these guys Zwiggles knows. He’s right, there is few enough of us as it is. It’s also only a few of the select few who ruin it for us. Though I think it would be nice, I’m sick of rules and restrictions Newly appearing. I’m sick of any new laws or rules in all aspects of life. I’d rather it all stay the same, I’ll be hunting anyway.

Oh I know they rot too, I still remember a rainbow I caught at like 16 in exeter river, froze it forgot about it and threw it in the compost. I will say that was the only time I made that mistake, and I felt like a dingus for doing/not doing it.

Maybe it’s coincidence, but my aunt and uncle buy lcienses specifically to catch stockers and fill the freezer. My other buddy at work does the same thing. Both of them are from down east Maine, and were raised eating mostly what they harvested. My buddy at work also does this with his kid now as well, maybe it’s a learned tradition?

I know I grew up eating every damn fish I caught (much to my fathers demise most of the time with picks and bass out of Bellamy and Milton 3 ponds), and as I got more involved I started to C&R most everything that has a good chance of survival and isn’t a rock bass on winni.... I do still enjoy the taste of a holdover salmon, or rainbow that’s been eating smelt, but it’s been a years since I did this regularly.

I do agree they taste like crap, and same with the additional regulations and laws. I am pretty much opposed to over regulation, but I can see changing some laws if there’s some info/user desire to do so.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Jan 11, 2021, 09:00 AM »
Can’t say I disagree with any of that buddy  :tipup:

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Jan 11, 2021, 09:18 AM »
I think I’m in the minority here, but in general I would rather see all the stockers get caught and eaten. I caught way too many stockers this summer mixed in with wild trout, but I’ll grant that’s mostly flowing waters. Ponds and lakes with wild trout, I’d be in the same boat I would rather catch way fewer wild fish vs stockers. But, we all know what opinions are like....

There’s certainly exceptions too. Winni has salmon and bows because it’s stocked. But, man I can’t see any logic in protecting the stockers they toss into ponds that are unable to holdover cold water fish. Who cares if they get cleaned out of the lakes where they have ZERO chance of making it through a full year. I’m glad someone gets to catch those fish before they waste away and feed the crayfish.

Others have hit on the issue here, but NH stocks bait.... stock bigger fish, and they will have a chance not to die when they are stocked, or educated by a fisherman for the first time.

Personally, I would rather see fewer fish stocked, and take some of the money from that and out it into extensive surveying and ha it at restoration. Identify the areas where stocking makes sense, where it doesn’t, and at the same time also be cognizant of the existing traditions. Kids chase the stocking trucks too, and a lot of people get exposed to a trout dunking worms or powerbait. Some people I know only buy a license to chase stocked trout, and fill their freezer. If it’s legal all the power to then. I would rather have more people hunting and fishing regardless of how they’re doing it (as long as it’s legal). The more people we have involved in the outdoors the better.

X2.... I don't see any real value in helping stocked fish. They have potential to and have caused considerable damage to wild fisheries (Lake Sunapee, Floods Pond). That said a stocked pond is a stocked pond. Unless drastic actions are taken it would be nearly impossible to recreate and or sustain a wild trout fishery in NH or Mass, sans some very special rivers and streams. Fish and Game is an agency that makes policy decisions based on public opinion and funding. I do believe the right thing is to attempt restoration of wild fisheries, however, doing so would upset a lot of anglers and lead to a decrease in license sales which Fish and Game has no interest in. There are a few very special places in New England with wild trout most of these are very hard to get to and enjoy strict regulations with little pressure from anglers, really the only way to have a wild trout fishery. Personally I don't care much for stocked trout, in my mind these are animals raised for slaughter. That said, I frequently practice C&R but do take a few home every season, mostly in the spring.  Great resource https://nativefishcoalition.org/
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Jan 11, 2021, 10:13 AM »
X2.... I don't see any real value in helping stocked fish. They have potential to and have caused considerable damage to wild fisheries (Lake Sunapee, Floods Pond). That said a stocked pond is a stocked pond. Unless drastic actions are taken it would be nearly impossible to recreate and or sustain a wild trout fishery in NH or Mass, sans some very special rivers and streams. Fish and Game is an agency that makes policy decisions based on public opinion and funding. I do believe the right thing is to attempt restoration of wild fisheries, however, doing so would upset a lot of anglers and lead to a decrease in license sales which Fish and Game has no interest in. There are a few very special places in New England with wild trout most of these are very hard to get to and enjoy strict regulations with little pressure from anglers, really the only way to have a wild trout fishery. Personally I don't care much for stocked trout, in my mind these are animals raised for slaughter. That said, I frequently practice C&R but do take a few home every season, mostly in the spring.  Great resource https://nativefishcoalition.org/

I agree with most of what you are saying here except your first part about not seeing "any real value in helping stocked fish."  There are pond and lakes that I fish where some of the trout do hold over and get quite large over time, especially the browns.  It would be nice to see stricter management on these "quality fishery" water bodies than others where there is no thermal refuge (sufficient depth and 02) or adequate forage for holdover potential.

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Jan 11, 2021, 11:31 AM »
I think your point is valid. I can think of a few famous kettle ponds that hold over some nice fish. That said if I had a vote, and I don't have one, I would see a shift of management funds to re-establish wild trout populations. Or at least some serious funding for a worthwhile project like re-establishing Sunapee trout in its historic range. Considering what it took at Floods I don't think this idea would ever get much public support. Folks like to catch and eat fish... I don't blame them, however, it was these same ambitions that wiped out the native fish in the first place. Given that most of Fish and Game's effort is focused on boat, atv, and snowmobile registrations/law enforcement, rather than protecting natural resources. I don't think any new regulations would do much to change behavior. Did I mention I don't have the most favorable view of Fish and Game?
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Jan 11, 2021, 11:36 AM »
you cant have big ones if you kill all the little ones, some lakes grow plenty of decent sized rainbows if given the chance, but they need a food supply and time to grow.. I like eating them too, but there's not a lot of good eating in a 9" or even a 12" stocked rainbow..as has been said, way too many bones..

It's an intriguing subject that always turns into an argument. Some enjoy catching.. some enjoy eating.. to each their own.I just like catching them as wide as my hand and as long as my elbow to finger tip.. and those take time to get that sized.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Jan 11, 2021, 01:24 PM »
Actually it isn't the food. Years ago (probably 15 years now) we would catch 15" stocked bows all the time. To save money the state started the fish to be stocked the next year in November not August like the did in previous years so the future year stocked fish would lose 3 months of growth which is substantial. Hence smaller stocked fish... I did read that Mass stocks the most and biggest fish in New England... You forgot to mention loons eating trout. I have seen them gathering when the stocking truck comes in.

thx for that info, i didn't know NH switched timing.

there was a big jump in Mass fish when they switched feed.  i mean it was very noticeable.  there were some papers on it about 5-10 yrs ago??  i might have my math off there, but it was published a number of places once commercial growers figured out a better way that greatly increased yields.

i always wondered why NH didn't adopt Mass feed....maybe they did....but it was undermined by the schedule change (loss of 3 months).  can't grow them if they aren't there to eat for 3 months.  too bad.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #53 on: Jan 11, 2021, 01:43 PM »
Yea, that's the thing here. There is real value in helping the stocked fish. If it's in a fishery that can support it with the right forage, O2, etc. And there are those places in NH. That's how we get to chase these big holdovers of 4,5+ lbs.
I don't care to fish for or take home newly stocked small trout. If we were left with just 12" stocked fish all the time and no ability or resources for them to grow, I think I may change my focus of species.
That being said, I do have appreciation for those that target those newly stocked "easy" fish. Like getting the kids out, or bringing new sportsman into the game, or retirees, or those that truly do live through the year on the catch they bring home. There has to be a middle ground between the two sides. I understand mortality rates of fish let go and all that. But At least try to not take all of them. I hate rules too, especially new ones all the time(Trust me, I lived and fished in Maine for several decades with the whole lists of S-rules and such. But Maine had an amazing fishery, at least in the 80s and 90s, better than NH at the time IMO.
I  think where some of the suggestions here came from about only restricting during the short fall season is to at least let some of the newly released trout have a chance before winter hits.
Take responsibly during the spring, but when the fall stocking comes along, let em be for a while so winter anglers have some. And also, in places like Winni, etc, that have the ability to foster bigger fish, may have a better chance at survival to become those more challenging bigger holdovers some of us love to chase(or occasionally keep and eat because they taste better)
Great topic, and I suppose all the differing opinions directly correlate to what kind of fisherman you are and what you expect out of the fishery for the future.
I don't really know what the solution is here. Just my .02 on some of the angles. I'm going to keep fishing regardless.  ;D
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #54 on: Jan 11, 2021, 02:24 PM »
I'm a rather big trout fan.  I hate stocked trout.  Stupid fish with crap genetics.  It's one thing to stock them in a put and take format in waterbodies thst don't support them normally but what I find is states putting the idiot pellet eaters over the top of wild trout.  The wild trout is king...an animal much different then a creator raised to support the weak angling efforts of the very people AA described (its the stocked trouts true purpose).  They have very little merit to me even In hold over form.  Actually I tend to get annoyed when I'm struggling to get past stickies to get those elusive wild browns.

Point is the state makes that fishery happen and even if no one kept them I think you'd find many stocked fisheries would cease to exist without continuous supplemental stockings. 

Offline nhjigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 11, 2021, 02:29 PM »
Old retired guy (76) here that fishes with my great grandson on weekends.  He’s going to be a good sportsman, whether we’re trout fishing, or yp and pickerel it’s catch and release for us

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #56 on: Jan 11, 2021, 03:54 PM »
Old retired guy (76) here that fishes with my great grandson on weekends.  He’s going to be a good sportsman, whether we’re trout fishing, or yp and pickerel it’s catch and release for us

My hats off to you!

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Jan 11, 2021, 06:08 PM »
A true old, conservative, Frank.  ;D Like I told you, you were born at least two generations too late. I've got some age on you, and wish I was born a couple generations earlier...most of the time.
I know more then a few people who eat all of the stockers they catch (legally). They buy licenses, fill the freezer, and happily eat a free-ish meal.
Zwiggles, I don't want to rain on your friend's and relative's parade but, a PSA, technically (legally) they're only allowed to "possess" a two day limit. Jus sayin, hope they have small freezers?  ;D

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Jan 11, 2021, 06:37 PM »
Lol! I did think of that but I’ve got plenty of other S*!t to start or continue here  ;D

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Jan 11, 2021, 06:46 PM »
Was thinking the same thing... stocking a freezer with a 2 day possession limit?
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.