Author Topic: Jacker/Slammer trigger release?  (Read 4208 times)

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Jacker/Slammer trigger release?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 04, 2021, 10:50 AM »
Here’s my trigger Ray

that's how I rigged mine, simple and effective
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 04, 2021, 10:59 AM »
Here’s my trigger Ray

So I'm assuming the slammer style setups require a longer rod to work well because of the way they set on the trigger? Like 36-42" range? Thinking of making a couple to pass the time and the longest ice rod I have with any backbone is 30"... Not opposed to getting a couple more rods but curious what lengths work better... I'm using 28" medium Fenwicks on the JJs now.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 04, 2021, 11:05 AM »
So I'm assuming the slammer style setups require a longer rod to work well because of the way they set on the trigger? Like 36-42" range? Thinking of making a couple to pass the time and the longest ice rod I have with any backbone is 30"... Not opposed to getting a couple more rods but curious what lengths work better... I'm using 28" medium Fenwicks on the JJs now.

I made mine to accommodate a 28" medium action rod.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 04, 2021, 11:12 AM »
Good to know Roc, I'll start building and experimenting over the next few days after work... My normal after work crappie spot is still too sketchy to wandering on in the dark and twiddling my thumbs is getting old lol. Might as well work on fishing stuff.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Jan 04, 2021, 11:17 AM »
I have ones that accommodate rods from 2ft to 4’6 the ones I built for my jig rods will do 24”-32” with no adjusting anything
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 04, 2021, 11:19 AM »
Good to know Roc, I'll start building and experimenting over the next few days after work... My normal after work crappie spot is still too sketchy to wandering on in the dark and twiddling my thumbs is getting old lol. Might as well work on fishing stuff.

yea, i've been out a few times, still working 50 hours a week, but finding time to build plugs ( for stripers) and adding some more tip ups to the arsenal.. I some how have lost/misplaced a slammer, so I'm going to build another ( or 2) this week.. beats sitting in front of the TV and falling asleep by 8, them waking up in the middle of the knight thinking about going fishing!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 04, 2021, 11:35 AM »
beats sitting in front of the TV and falling asleep by 8, them waking up in the middle of the knight thinking about going fishing!

I hear that!! If I sit in my recliner and watch tv I'm lucky to make 15 minutes before I nod off and then poor sleep all night or up way to early... Sadly I play computer games to try to stay up during the winter months, that's where stuff like making a couple slammers is key to killing a couple evenings somewhat productively...

Good to know you can set up short rods too Frank... Guess I just figured going to the second eye is giving up a few inches already and needed more length...

I'll share pics when I'm done.

Offline fullerbn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 04, 2021, 01:57 PM »
I personally hated those loops that came with the jacker so I started building my own rods with a loop built into the tip top

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 04, 2021, 02:03 PM »
I personally hated those loops that came with the jacker so I started building my own rods with a loop built into the tip top

Genius!
What did you use for the loop material?

Offline fullerbn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 04, 2021, 02:08 PM »
Genius!
What did you use for the loop material?

Its coated steel leader material, I build rods with those on them and can probably fit just the tip top to other rods if you're interested

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 04, 2021, 02:14 PM »
Really slick Fullerbn... I like that. Do you just wrap the loop on top of the eye or does it start inside the eye sleeve?

Offline fullerbn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 04, 2021, 03:41 PM »
Really slick Fullerbn... I like that. Do you just wrap the loop on top of the eye or does it start inside the eye sleeve?

It starts inside the tip top eye, we assemble the tip tops then install on the rod

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #42 on: Jan 04, 2021, 05:15 PM »
Homemade slammers are cool.  Funny how many kids think Jaw Jackers were the first.

800 I have destroyed my face with the JJ triggers and that loop...I dont think there's an easy way.  My favorite face slam is the forgetting its a JJ and clearing the skim...

Offline fullerbn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 04, 2021, 06:17 PM »
Homemade slammers are cool.  Funny how many kids think Jaw Jackers were the first.

800 I have destroyed my face with the JJ triggers and that loop...I dont think there's an easy way.  My favorite face slam is the forgetting its a JJ and clearing the skim...

Haha thats when they get me too

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.