Author Topic: Flasher ?  (Read 13093 times)

Offline nylineman

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Flasher ?
« Reply #30 on: Oct 23, 2006, 10:13 PM »
NYLineman needs to upgrade from his FL-8 and get with the times :o
Thought maybe u were gonna give me a deal on yours when u upgraded August???  ::)

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #31 on: Oct 24, 2006, 07:35 AM »
All right guys, I think I'm finally going to take the bait and jump on the flasher bandwagon.  The price was my main issue but I could probably swing two bills fir the vx-1 if it will do the job for me.  So far most people seem to like its looks but;

- Are there any features on the more expensive flashers that I will miss greatly on the lower priced unit?

- Would I be better off waiting till spring and trying to get a more advanced left over model ?

- Any negative thoughts on this unit ? (Yes I know they are a sponsor but I think we should still stay objective when it comes to advice for our fellow fisherman)

- Where do I get the coupon ?

Oh yea, I mostly fish in 8-30 Ft of water but fish many locations and depths.

Thanks for the help,

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline original_iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm out of beer... I'm out of beer...
« Reply #32 on: Oct 24, 2006, 08:05 AM »
Southend... thanks for the picture of the "new" unit... it does look to be the same unit as the Cabelas VXR unit that I purchased last season, but I paid $250 for mine at Cabelas.  I am totally happy with my purchase and would highly recommend that unit to anyone not wanting to spend alot of dollars.  It is even a better deal with the $50 rebate that comes in the box.  I used the split screen zoom feature alot last season, great feature!  Of course all of this is just my opinion though... ;D  I hope that this helps people out on deciding if this would be a good purchase or not.

Offline gofish33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gone fishin
« Reply #33 on: Oct 26, 2006, 06:52 PM »
WHen you use the Zoom on the VX-1 , can you still see the whole water column or ONLY the 5 ft on the bottom?  If it can see both, I know where I'm spending my next ice-fishing $$$ .  I currently have a Zercom and am plagued by the schools of fish that swim by that aren't fish ......

Thanks
gofish33

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Oct 26, 2006, 06:55 PM »
I believe it splits the screen so one side is the bottom five feet and the other is the whole picture :tipup:

trapperdirk

« Reply #35 on: Oct 28, 2006, 08:00 PM »
WHen you use the Zoom on the VX-1 , can you still see the whole water column or ONLY the 5 ft on the bottom?  If it can see both, I know where I'm spending my next ice-fishing $$$ .  I currently have a Zercom and am plagued by the schools of fish that swim by that aren't fish ......

Thanks
gofish33

Yes it is split screen and you will see the zoomed area on one side and the whole water column on the other side plus its zoom can be expanded the deeper of water your fishing but only from bottom on up as its not moveable .

TD

CSP88

« Reply #36 on: Nov 01, 2006, 12:53 PM »
Kraig, you are going to love the Vexilar FL-18.  Paired with the Aqua Vu you just bought, you are more then ready for the hard water season.  ;D  Have fun and maybe we'll meet up this winter.

Chad

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Nov 01, 2006, 01:26 PM »
Just an FYI, on the X67C ice machine, you can get rid of almost all of your interferance by going into the Menu-Upper and Lower Limits and taking the top couple feet off of the limits.  I have the X67C and the LX3 and have little to complain about either of them. 

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
You Guys BITE!!
« Reply #38 on: Nov 01, 2006, 06:16 PM »
You just made this frugal Yankee stick the crow-bar in to his back pocket and pry out his credit card!!!  On the first day they were offered I ordered up a VX-1. 

Shopping Cart (Prices in US Dollars)
DESCRIPTION   QUANTITY    PRICE   COST
*NEW* Marcum VX-1 Flasher   1
   $249.99   $249.99
Subtotal   $249.99
Shipping (Standard Ground)   $14.00
Total   $263.99

It's all because of this site, and believe me, if it doesn't live up to its reputation, you'll be hearing from me !!! But I'm sure it will! I look forward to seeing what a flasher can do to increase my fishing experience and am double happy that I could support a sponsor of this site.

Many Flags

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline BillB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Nov 01, 2006, 08:14 PM »
A Capt>>>>>>>Well, if your as frugal as I am then I think you'll want to check the PM that I just sent you. ;)

And while we're on the subject of the VX-1........Has anyone spoken to Marcum about the rebate deal?  It's my understanding that Marcum is only offering $25 factory rebate. I did find a retailer (listed on the Marcum site) that is offering their own store rebate for the VX-1($25). Also, does anyone know if the high speed & puck transducers that fit the other Marcum flashers will work on the VX-1?

trapperdirk

« Reply #40 on: Nov 01, 2006, 09:18 PM »
Your $ 50 dollar rebate from Marcum comes in the box you purchase  your VX-1 from my understanding and anything else I can't vouch for . Contact Marcum  direct as to your questions regarding use of transducers . I know the LX-3 and LX-5 from info ganered take the skimmer one or in other words open water version  . Mind you it is single beam in open water SKIMMER version  regardless even if you own the LX-5 .  I  also thought the LX-1 took the puck and skimmer version when the LX-3 was unveiled but I could be wrong and apologize before hand  if I am  but as far as the VX-1 till I get the info I just don't know  and can't help you ,,,,sorry .. :-\

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #41 on: Nov 02, 2006, 06:04 AM »

This is from Beans post at the top of this board

Marcum VX-1                           

Cost: $ 249.99 ($199.99 after limited time $50 rebate) (available Nov.1, 2006)

Miscellaneous: Can be set up for use on open water with optional high speed transducer or puck transducer.

So indeed it does appear that the rebate is from Marcum and it should be in the box.  It also appears that it can be set up for open water.  I only own a canoe (I said I was frugal  :D) so I think the ice ducer will work for me.  In fact,  I read in one of these threads that one person uses the LX-5 right through the bottom of his canoe.    It would be cool if that worked. 

I'm looking forward to seeing all the pretty colors.  Now if we can just get some Ice !!!!!

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Nov 02, 2006, 02:55 PM »
Capt. Shay, what I posted is correct. You can also purchase separate high speed or puck transducers for the VX-1. These transducers are physically the same as the high speed or puck transducers available for the LX series flashers with the exception that the connector is different.

I found it easier to just use a flashers ice transducer over the side of the boat. It's easier for me to see my jig on the flasher that way (if that's what you're trying to do), than trying to put it under a trolling motor's puck transducer and having to worry about my line getting caught around that. You can also make an ice transducer holder that you could secure to the side of your canoe so it would keep it facing straight down while you are moving.
I made a holder like that the other year when I took my flasher to a trip up in quebec. We used the outfitters boats so I made up a simple holder using a clamp and some PVC pipe to keep the transducer from moving.  It worked great.
I looked for it to show you a picture, but can't seem to find it now.
Ken                                          

Offline BillB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Nov 02, 2006, 04:44 PM »
This afternoon, I had a nice surprise show up on my front deck. One VX-1, dropped shipped directly from the factory. ;D  And the rebate?......I was told by the Reed's salesperson that 1/2 was from Reed's & the other 1/2 from Marcum.  That doesn't seem to be the case. The coupon in my box was for $50 from Marcum.  And as Bean mentioned, the instructions state that the unit can be set up for a boat (puck or high speed transducer). It's makes no mention of a P/N for the puck / high speed transducer,. So, still not sure if it's the same transducers that the rest of the Marcum's use.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #44 on: Nov 02, 2006, 04:48 PM »
congrats Bill...i got the perfect spot to try it out   ;) 

Offline BillB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Nov 02, 2006, 04:54 PM »
Ummmm, I have no idea what your talking about. ;D  I can tell yah that it works pretty good in a 5 gallon bucket. :D

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Nov 02, 2006, 05:01 PM »
And as Bean mentioned, the instructions state that the unit can be set up for a boat (puck or high speed transducer). It's makes no mention of a P/N for the puck / high speed transducer,. So, still not sure if it's the same transducers that the rest of the Marcum's use.

I'm pretty sure it will be a different part number, because of the connector being different. It is the same transducer, just with a different connector attached than the LX series.
Ken                                          

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Nov 02, 2006, 06:26 PM »
Do these units that state water depths of 20-40-60 feet and on, do they work the same in shallow water say from 5feet to 20feet?   Thanks

trapperdirk

« Reply #48 on: Nov 02, 2006, 07:56 PM »
Do these units that state water depths of 20-40-60 feet and on, do they work the same in shallow water say from 5feet to 20feet?   Thanks

Yes they do . The 20ft range actually means from 0-20 ft ,the 40 ft range from 0-40 and so on . All start at O and go to wherever your setting is .

TD

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Nov 07, 2006, 09:06 AM »
santa just ordered me the LX-3 reconditioned (and TC upgraded) members special. $289.99 all together. I bet a few people will jump on those while they last :tipup: The only reason i chose that one over the vx-1 is because of the adjustable zoom which i thought might come in handy for suspended crappies that are up higher than the 5 foot zoom window.

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Nov 07, 2006, 10:10 AM »
Was wondering if the features of the vx-1 compare closest with an fl-8 or what other vx unit?  Thanks again

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Nov 07, 2006, 10:53 AM »
Was wondering if the features of the vx-1 compare closest with an fl-8 or what other vx unit?  Thanks again

Being that the vx-1 has a zoom mode, it matches up closest with the FL-18. The FL-8 doesn't have zoom.
Ken                                          

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Nov 07, 2006, 05:05 PM »
Thanks Bean and Trapper! Appreciate the info

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Nov 08, 2006, 08:40 PM »
santa just ordered me the LX-3 reconditioned (and TC upgraded) members special...

You too, huh?   ;D
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Nov 08, 2006, 09:51 PM »
The use of any flasher will make you a better ice fisherman. Time spent on the ice is invaluable. You will learn more in a short period of time about fish behavior to yor presentation. Confidence in your presentation is the key to catching fish of any kind.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.