Author Topic: Bucktails  (Read 12733 times)

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Bucktails
« Reply #150 on: Jan 22, 2021, 06:44 PM »
On the making your own angle, which I have not done, what’s the best product to use to touch-up banged-up heads that have pounded a hard bottom too many times? I have a lot of those that the hair is in great shape but the heads are chipped up pretty good. It annoys me. Nail polish? Something else?

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #151 on: Jan 22, 2021, 07:29 PM »
Black is definitely underrated... it works very well in extremely muddy/turbulent rivers. I use it quite a bit for bowfin in high water in the spring.
Interesting again. Where and when the black and purple has worked for me, I was also pounding a soft, silty bottom. Prob stirring up quite a bit of a dust cloud...

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #152 on: Jan 22, 2021, 07:33 PM »
Your brain tells you you need something hi-viz and day-glow to even get noticed, buutttt....

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #153 on: Jan 22, 2021, 08:45 PM »
Biggest laker I've caught was on purple and black.

Same goes for me
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #154 on: Jan 22, 2021, 08:47 PM »
Speaking of colors. I came across this and it made me think how much does color really matter especially when fishing deep. This chart is interesting.

A few years back I think I posted some great videos with these color charts from YouTube on here. Interesting stuff. It could of been Fishfinder too. Coffin Dodger and Dispy were heavily involved in the discussion as well

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #155 on: Jan 22, 2021, 09:18 PM »
A few years back I think I posted some great videos with these color charts from YouTube on here. Interesting stuff. It could of been Fishfinder too. Coffin Dodger and Dispy were heavily involved in the discussion as well
I remember those vids, Frank. They were very good. From down under, maybe?
The chart that (Digs?) showed is very basic. Same principles apply, but there's an awful lot of variables! Lots of books written on this subject. Depth, water color, overhead light, angle of latter, and many more. On the open water, flat water, angle that the UV rays penetrate the waves and are then deflected etc..
You need to remember that what you see is NOT what the fish sees. As jig or lure colors go down in depth they don't quit, they fade out in varying shades of grey. Different species of fish have different variables of rods and cones etc.. Color matters!
At some point, it must be more about contrast,

Contrast is huuuge in attracting fish! Spots, eyes, lateral lines and contrasting side by side colors all attract fish. Differently at different depths.
Look at Joe's gorgeous plugs and you'll see how he uses colors. 

Offline Jringo001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #156 on: Jan 23, 2021, 02:54 AM »
I will make up some more in darker colors, purple, gray, black etc. Appreciate the help guys. I'll post another pic when I few more done.

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #157 on: Jan 25, 2021, 05:22 PM »
Sat behind the vise for a minute today. I've got 15 heads to tie. Anybody have any color combo recommendations? I've got a little bit of everything color wise. This is lavender orange and some pink polar flash......
you know what works best sir

Offline Jringo001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #158 on: Jan 26, 2021, 06:12 AM »
I like that color pattern and how you blended different colors of the buck-tail together - did you do that by using a stacker? I'm going to have to try that. Will post some pics when I am done. Also , making up a few more in the darker patterns this week.

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #159 on: Jan 26, 2021, 07:51 AM »
I like that color pattern and how you blended different colors of the buck-tail together - did you do that by using a stacker? I'm going to have to try that. Will post some pics when I am done. Also , making up a few more in the darker patterns this week.

No I just layered it on while I tied it.
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline Jringo001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #160 on: Jan 26, 2021, 12:21 PM »

Offline Jringo001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #161 on: Jan 26, 2021, 12:25 PM »
Here are a few more I just did in darker patters, Blue, black, Gray and Light Gray etc.  Next up Purple & Black and going to layer them like you did - I think layering the colors of Buck-Tails makes it look better - always learning...

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #162 on: Jan 26, 2021, 12:33 PM »
Those look great! Love the eyes! I’m big on eyes. I think it makes a difference. Nice work!

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #163 on: Jan 26, 2021, 12:33 PM »
Here are a few more I just did in darker patters, Blue, black, Gray and Light Gray etc.  Next up Purple & Black and going to layer them like you did - I think layering the colors of Buck-Tails makes it look better - always learning...

Those look great! What kind of glow paint are you using?

Offline Jringo001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #164 on: Jan 26, 2021, 12:38 PM »
Thanks - the glow paint is a cheap paint made by Folk Art. Have not tried them yet - trying to get on Winnisquam this weekend w/ a couple buddies to try them out

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #165 on: Jan 26, 2021, 12:54 PM »
Man these are all great patterns and colors. Great ideas. Looking good Digs and everyone else.
 Threads like this make me want to start tying my own.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #166 on: Jan 28, 2021, 08:43 AM »
Thanks - the glow paint is a cheap paint made by Folk Art. Have not tried them yet - trying to get on Winnisquam this weekend w/ a couple buddies to try them out

Thanks for the tip I'll look into that stuff. Good luck this weekend. Nothing better than catching a laker on a bucktail you tied!

Offline Jringo001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #167 on: Feb 02, 2021, 11:49 AM »
The Derby line up is complete... Added several more darker colors and a few just for fun.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #168 on: Feb 02, 2021, 11:51 AM »
Those look great! I’d fish that far left column like crazy

Offline Jringo001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #169 on: Feb 02, 2021, 12:01 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion to go darker... I tried the blue/black combo on Sat and had a couple halfway up the hole but I think they were just hanging on the bait and not the hook. We had a lot of lookers but only a couple takers, they were quite responsive to the dark though.

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #170 on: Feb 02, 2021, 12:02 PM »
The Derby line up is complete... Added several more darker colors and a few just for fun.

Oh man. Those came out awesome. Nice work!
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #171 on: Feb 02, 2021, 12:10 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion to go darker... I tried the blue/black combo on Sat and had a couple halfway up the hole but I think they were just hanging on the bait and not the hook. We had a lot of lookers but only a couple takers, they were quite responsive to the dark though.

Anytime!

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #172 on: Feb 02, 2021, 01:50 PM »
Beauts. More than a few in there I’d reach for.

Offline Jringo001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #173 on: Feb 02, 2021, 03:23 PM »
Thanks, I have more time to make them then I do to use them....  working from home and having a vice on my desk can make conference calls go a lot faster...

I hope to try them out soon - keep ya posted...

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #174 on: Feb 03, 2021, 08:09 AM »
I tied a few marabou jigs up last night. I'll be trying them out shortly..... See how they do.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #175 on: Feb 03, 2021, 08:38 AM »
 Nice work bud

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #176 on: Feb 03, 2021, 08:41 AM »
Great looking jigs good luck with them!!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Jringo001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #177 on: Feb 03, 2021, 09:35 AM »
Your Maribu Jigs look awesome. Let us know how they work - would you still add a little sucker meat to them?

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #178 on: Feb 03, 2021, 12:06 PM »

Wasn't on the marabou but pulled this on a different bucktail I tied. 80 fow

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #179 on: Feb 03, 2021, 12:18 PM »

Middle column for me.  Need the attention getting colors.  90% of a few hundred lakers I've caught are on glow chartreuse. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.