Author Topic: Safety Gear - what do you carry?  (Read 5366 times)

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Safety Gear - what do you carry?
« Reply #60 on: Feb 07, 2020, 08:59 AM »
You gotta try to catch the mean ones, they freeze quicker because of the ice in there veins
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #61 on: Feb 07, 2020, 09:09 AM »
You gotta try to catch the mean ones, they freeze quicker because of the ice in there veins

😂🤣😂

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Feb 07, 2020, 09:24 AM »
:laugh: :flex:

Offline White Pine

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Feb 07, 2020, 10:18 AM »
Just want to add my 2 cents regarding safety on ice. Everyone has added good advice regarding safety gear but my opinion ( from a very recent accident). Question is what about first aid for serious potential life threatening mishap? Here is what happened to 3 of us recently, 11:00 AM good weather good ice but got slippery with sun. Suddenly one of us goes down 2 of us had back to him did not see him fall. We are all late sixty's early 70's. He was down for no more than 5 minutes but totally unconscious. FYI he had a serious heart attack a few years before. By the time we got to him he was starting to move a bit but it was very obvious he had a head injury. No idea what had happened and no memory of where he was. I have had several first aid courses over the years so had a pretty good idea of what we were dealing with. Pond was fairly remote and did have cell coverage. Figured we would at least get him off ice as we did have atv with us. First time with a machine had always been walkers. Got him into truck to warm him up.,and made decision to head for hospital, figured it would be quicker than waiting for volunteers. Got him to hospital had severe head injury, neurosurgeon said 60 % chance he could have died. Admitted to ICU for 3 days and thankfully home recovering, but his ice fishing for this year is done. So my advice is be prepared for the really unexpected ie. potential heart attack, head injury, and so forth. So my advice is add a first aid course. NH does have a good samaritan law which will protect you for rendering aid. Hope this helps someone in the worst case

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #64 on: Feb 07, 2020, 10:27 AM »
Great point WP, thanks for the input. I did not know of the Good Samaritan law

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #65 on: Feb 07, 2020, 10:35 AM »
TRUE STORY...

I once was doing a living room and dining room in Tigerwood for a customer. I hear a loud THUD in the kitchen and then some moaning and unintelligible babble. I go in to see wth is going on and I see the homeowner laid out on the floor sweating bullets moaning and not speaking well.

I finally figure out with his pointing and words here and there he is a real bad diabetic and I needed to get a little black case on the counter, I coaxed out of him how to get a syringe and needle and put stufffrom a vile in to a certain amount and place it in his hand. I refused to inject him like he wanted ( I’m still not even positive what I did or if that was what it was diabetes etc) it was tough looking that helpless guy in the eyes and saying nope you’re doing it. He did it though and it was like magic in no time he was in ship shape. One of the weirdest experiences I ever witnessed alone. Anyhowno point to that, just had to share. I guess all I could picture was if this guys dies I’m not getting nailed for sticking him with something. Call it selfish if you will I wouldn’t change anything.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Feb 07, 2020, 10:46 AM »
Great points WP... I've taken some general first aid courses years ago. It was a requirement for one of the race organizations I was a member of. Knowing of your groups medical history is also a good idea. I used to ride wheelers with a guy who was diabetic, and it was easy for him to lose track of his sugar with the work out that goes into throwing an 800 pound machine around in the woods, we all knew the signs that he needed help if they came about. I keep a pretty good first aid kit and know how to stitch a wound in a pinch, been there done that after a wreck on the trail. Also having a plan to get someone to the main road or atleasst the boat ramp to meet EMS is good too.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #67 on: Feb 07, 2020, 10:46 AM »
White Pine, glad to hear your friend is on the mend. Having been involved with EMS before health issues and have received much training, I take this for granted... great tip!

Another piece of safety gear I always have available and wear, cleats! I recommend the Kahtoola Microspikes. Years back I slipped and fell flat on my back with my power auger on my chest. Thank goodness I didn't hit my head on the ice or cut myself with the auger blades, being alone, on blood thinners, it could have went bad quickly. Another time I slipped but caught myself, but I did managed to hyperextended knee. I was off the ice 2-3 weeks.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Feb 07, 2020, 11:03 AM »

Did something stupid a few weeks ago. A first aid Kit is ok but get you an Israeli Bandage, if someone is bleeding bad it will get it stopped. Having good partners to drive you to the hospital is a good thing too. new rule: Unchuck Auger from drill before knocking ice off of it. Sometime you gotta pay to learn and I did.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Feb 07, 2020, 11:17 AM »
Had a similar incident with someone from another group falling and knocking them self out. I was fishing solo and one of them came over to ask for help. He was laying there snoring like he was in his bed. We just put coats on him to keep him warm and didn't move him. The paramedics came and we put him on a stretcher and they took him to the hospital. I never found out how he was but he was talking when they put him in. The paramedics said the best thing we did was not to try to move him. The ice was like glass that day.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Feb 07, 2020, 11:29 AM »
Thanks for all the replies... thought I had a decent list but certainly learned a few things...

Of course - one thing we all need to have with us is Common Sense... and know when the fish just are not worth it.

For sure this weekend there will be a lot of people out there without it - hope everyone stays safe and has a great derby.

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Feb 07, 2020, 11:33 AM »
Had a similar incident with someone from another group falling and knocking them self out. I was fishing solo and one of them came over to ask for help. He was laying there snoring like he was in his bed. We just put coats on him to keep him warm and didn't move him. The paramedics came and we put him on a stretcher and they took him to the hospital. I never found out how he was but he was talking when they put him in. The paramedics said the best thing we did was not to try to move him. The ice was like glass that day.

This is a good thread. Has made me rethink my stance on a couple things.
I freaking hate cleats. The crunch crunch are like fingernails on a blackboard. I can't even watch youtubes where the guy is wearing a gopro and the sound of the crunching dominates.
I have spoken out in several threads about my belief that they scare trout.
For many years I wore LL Bean boots that had an awesome tread. Except on the worst glare ice they were very slip resistant. Recently they had to be replaced and the ones I have now are considerably less reliable. I'm also older and more brittle and reflexes, balance etc not what they once were.
I'm going to have to find a compromise. Something a little less crunchy than the aggressive ones most guys wear.
I still won't wear them when the ice isn't slippery. I never understood that.

Spikes is something else I have resisted. I was never convinced they were effective. I also do believe they give guys a false sense of security. Too many times I've heard guys say "well the ice was sketchy but I have spikes" ::)
No! The way to stay safe is don't go on sketchy ice!
But I suppose they're cheap enough and easy enough to carry, and after all, there is no such thing a "Safe" ice.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Feb 07, 2020, 11:45 AM »
Thanks for all the replies... thought I had a decent list but certainly learned a few things...

Of course - one thing we all need to have with us is Common Sense... and know when the fish just are not worth it.

For sure this weekend there will be a lot of people out there without it - hope everyone stays safe and has a great derby.

Common sense isn’t as common as you think....

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Feb 07, 2020, 04:22 PM »
TRUE STORY...
I once was doing a living room and dining room in Tigerwood for a customer. I hear a loud THUD in the kitchen and then some moaning and unintelligible babble. I go in to see wth is going on and I see the homeowner laid out on the floor sweating bullets moaning and not speaking well.

I finally figure out with his pointing and words here and there he is a real bad diabetic and I needed to get a little black case on the counter, I coaxed out of him how to get a syringe and needle and put stufffrom a vile in to a certain amount and place it in his hand. I refused to inject him like he wanted ( I’m still not even positive what I did or if that was what it was diabetes etc) it was tough looking that helpless guy in the eyes and saying nope you’re doing it. He did it though and it was like magic in no time he was in ship shape. One of the weirdest experiences I ever witnessed alone. Anyhowno point to that, just had to share. I guess all I could picture was if this guys dies I’m not getting nailed for sticking him with something. Call it selfish if you will I wouldn’t change anything.
Here's what you did, Frank....
1.May have saved his life?
2.Definitely, diabetes.
3.Filled the syringe with glucogon (basically, concentrated sugar/glucose.)
Your patient had a very low blood sugar (too much insulin).
BTW to all, if the person's able to swallow, 6-8 oz of fruit juice or real soda, that will work almost as well. Glucogon's pretty much for emergencies or those unable to swallow without choking.
FWIW, putting that needle in him wouldn't have hurt you a bit.  ;D Kudos for helping him out!

I keep a pretty good first aid kit and know how to stitch a wound in a pinch,
Stealth, I'm adding that to my list of things that I admire you for.  ;)

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #74 on: Feb 07, 2020, 04:38 PM »
Good to know!

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Feb 07, 2020, 04:46 PM »
2.Definitely, diabetes.
BTW to all, if the person's able to swallow, 6-8 oz of fruit juice or real soda, that will work almost as well. Glucogon's pretty much for emergencies or those unable to swallow without choking.
FWIW, putting that needle in him wouldn't have hurt you a bit.  ;D Kudos for helping him out!

CD a piece of candy will work correct.

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Feb 07, 2020, 07:22 PM »
2.Definitely, diabetes.

I was the recipient of one of those glucose shots about 5 yrs ago. I was with a group of friends in a cabin on the 1st Connecticut.  We arrived Friday and the weather was horrible so we played cribbage and drank gentlemen Jack and beers. I took too large a dosage of insulin and woke up later that night drenched in sweat and unable to move or talk. One of my buddies heard me moaning and they rescued me. I had gone over the glucose shot with my friend jim in the past and he administered the shot. I think he may have saved my life that night. Im now far more catious with my dosages when i go away.
John

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #77 on: Feb 07, 2020, 07:42 PM »
Yes, that’s exactly how I recall this guys symptoms

Never been around a diabetic before it was unreal.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Feb 07, 2020, 07:42 PM »
Heiiy Hanson Float Suit
Ice picks
50' throw rope
whistle
First Aid Kit
Cell phone
Spud Bar
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Feb 07, 2020, 08:17 PM »
Just want to add my 2 cents regarding safety on ice. Everyone has added good advice regarding safety gear but my opinion ( from a very recent accident). Question is what about first aid for serious potential life threatening mishap? Here is what happened to 3 of us recently, 11:00 AM good weather good ice but got slippery with sun. Suddenly one of us goes down 2 of us had back to him did not see him fall. We are all late sixty's early 70's. He was down for no more than 5 minutes but totally unconscious. FYI he had a serious heart attack a few years before. By the time we got to him he was starting to move a bit but it was very obvious he had a head injury. No idea what had happened and no memory of where he was. I have had several first aid courses over the years so had a pretty good idea of what we were dealing with. Pond was fairly remote and did have cell coverage. Figured we would at least get him off ice as we did have atv with us. First time with a machine had always been walkers. Got him into truck to warm him up.,and made decision to head for hospital, figured it would be quicker than waiting for volunteers. Got him to hospital had severe head injury, neurosurgeon said 60 % chance he could have died. Admitted to ICU for 3 days and thankfully home recovering, but his ice fishing for this year is done. So my advice is be prepared for the really unexpected ie. potential heart attack, head injury, and so forth. So my advice is add a first aid course. NH does have a good samaritan law which will protect you for rendering aid. Hope this helps someone in the worst case

Good advise, I  am a licensed captain,  so CPR and First aid are mandatory for me to keep it up, I never mentioned in carry low dose asprin in my first aid kit
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Feb 07, 2020, 08:18 PM »
CD a piece of candy will work correct.
That was the "cure" back in the day, a piece of hard candy. Still works, but not the best cuz you have to wait till it melts or chew it. Then, there's the risk of swallowing it. Best bet is fruit juice or fruit, non diet soda, cake frosting, anything loaded with simple sugars. Eg. a chocolate bar takes longer cuz of the fat. Starches like potato work also.
so we played cribbage and drank gentlemen Jack and beers. I took too large a dosage of insulin
Alcohol alone, not good, John.  :nono: Next time, mix it with pretzels, chips etc..
Never been around a diabetic before
You have, you just didn't know it.  ;)

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Feb 07, 2020, 08:21 PM »
I never mentioned in carry low dose asprin in my first aid kit
Very smart, Joe. :thumbsup:

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #82 on: Feb 07, 2020, 08:22 PM »
Seems you know what you’re doing then good buddy

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Feb 07, 2020, 08:24 PM »
If I knew what I was doing  I'd be asleep,  3:30 gonna come early, yet I'm wide awKe.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #84 on: Feb 07, 2020, 08:29 PM »
If I knew what I was doing  I'd be asleep,  3:30 gonna come early, yet I'm wide awKe.

Set my phone for 3, power keeps going off and on prob won’t sleep much

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Feb 07, 2020, 08:30 PM »
Doesn't take long to spend a night in the lakes region, the night before a derby.  ;)
Hope you get some zzzzzzzzzzz's soon.

Thanks buddy.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #86 on: Feb 07, 2020, 08:57 PM »
We haven't had power all night. Sucks. It got sooome cold and dark in this cabin in a hurry. Nasty out there. Die hards(and/or crazy) will be the only ones out pre-dawn tomorrow in this crap. Hopefully gives us the advantage.
I should be asleep too....330-4am comes quick. Atleast my fishing spot is only 10 minutes down the road.  ;)
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Feb 07, 2020, 10:54 PM »
2.Definitely, diabetes.

Thanks CD, I appreciate that... I gotta give most of the credit to my buddy John, tough kid that would rather have me slather his arm with iodine and put 8 stitches in on the side of a trail then have it ruin a day of riding with a trip to the er...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Feb 08, 2020, 06:26 AM »
We haven't had power all night. Sucks. It got sooome cold and dark in this cabin in a hurry. Nasty out there. Die hards(and/or crazy) will be the only ones out pre-dawn tomorrow in this crap. Hopefully gives us the advantage.
I should be asleep too....330-4am comes quick. Atleast my fishing spot is only 10 minutes down the road.  ;)

Jason I hope you survived I would have went to the truck to sleep. Hopefully you will be rewarded.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.