Author Topic: Smitty sled help...  (Read 5470 times)

Offline snow snake

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Smitty sled help...
« Reply #30 on: Dec 28, 2019, 10:18 AM »
 If looking for "Cheap" skis
try Salvation Army  Stores
if you have any stores near you
I have gotten them there
last pair was $ 10.00
or maybe second hand stores?
good luck
snow snake
snowsnake

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #31 on: Dec 28, 2019, 10:24 AM »
If looking for "Cheap" skis
try Salvation Army  Stores
if you have any stores near you
I have gotten them there
last pair was $ 10.00
or maybe second hand stores?
good luck
snow snake
See them on CL once in awhile.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 28, 2019, 11:12 AM »
A lot of good ideas.  Thank you to everyone.

Offline ndfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 28, 2019, 11:25 AM »
Cross country skis will work also, maybe not as well but still better than pulling a tub without any at all.

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #34 on: Dec 28, 2019, 11:41 AM »
I thought about ordering the kit and building one, but having a hard time finding an old pair of downhill skis. They are not real plentiful in Des Moines IA.
Do you have a play it again sports store? That’s where I got mine. Or if you have a local ski shop/resort???
“Some of us are wise, and some of us are otherwise” M.R. Levin...

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #35 on: Dec 28, 2019, 11:42 AM »
I thought about ordering the kit and building one, but having a hard time finding an old pair of downhill skis. They are not real plentiful in Des Moines IA.
Also someone on here suggested water skis too. They are wider and will float on the snow better. Never tried it but that is an option as well.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #36 on: Dec 28, 2019, 11:56 AM »

Got mine on FB marketplace in my area. Usually a little more than you'd pay at Goodwill, etc. but they are plentiful.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 28, 2019, 12:46 PM »
Got mine on FB marketplace in my area. Usually a little more than you'd pay at Goodwill, etc. but they are plentiful.

I've been looking on ours. Even posted an ISO.

Offline Brozy21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Dec 28, 2019, 12:46 PM »
How long of a ski do you need?

I found a cheap pair but the are about 6" shorter than my tub.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Dec 28, 2019, 12:51 PM »
How long of a ski do you need?

I found a cheap pair but the are about 6" shorter than my tub.

Should be ok. How long is your tub?

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 28, 2019, 01:22 PM »
the last few i found i found at antique malls.  just have to get in and walk around.  i took my boys and was on a mission to find a set and divide and conquer.  actually at the big antique mall up in des moines.  good luck.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 28, 2019, 06:26 PM »
I used 2x8, reg. pine is fine. yes you can do carriage bolts for easy removal and breakdown [galv].  bottom of skis stainless screws to upper 2x8.
notch top of 2x8 for 1x4 or 2x4 for the tub to sit on.
what he said, but I use 2x6 uprights

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Dec 28, 2019, 07:16 PM »
I used T-nuts for my carriage bolts; washer on top, t-nut on bottom. Remember that the notch in the riser has a lot of torque when turning. So you may want to be sure your risers are longer and put a metal strap on the ends of the cross piece to keep the ends from splitting or extend the cross piece beyond the riser. Also, consider how wide you are making your Smitty. Mine is wide enough to fit my sled and my hub side by side.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Hardware-Fasteners-Nuts-T-Nuts/N-5yc1vZc2a4?mtc=SEM-B-F_D25H-G-D25H-Multi-Multi-NA-NA-ETA-NA-NA-DSA&cm_mmc=SEM-B-F_D25H-G-D25H-Multi-Multi-NA-NA-ETA-NA-NA-DSA-71700000032381673-58700003840805524-39700030713366846&gclid=Cj0KCQiAl5zwBRCTARIsAIrukdNhNXUvZKjJCvTkcyRquy2LT1sStJx_t3Ma9g6azmo1IMPM1knR_90aAgh7EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

What size bolts did you use?  I was thinking of going with 3/8" or 1/2".  What I did on my risers to keep them from splitting in front or behind the cross pieces is I ran two 3" deck screws down into the risers from the top in front and behind the cross piece notch. 

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #43 on: Dec 28, 2019, 07:24 PM »
Should be ok. How long is your tub?
Just a thought about that post you’re replying to: (correct me if I’m off base here, I’m just a character  ;) if the skis are shorter than the tub make sure they sit forward from the tub by a few inches. Essentially have the bulk of the weight to the back. That is if it’s not too short like by a couple feet!?!?

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #44 on: Dec 28, 2019, 07:44 PM »
Just a thought about that post you’re replying to: (correct me if I’m off base here, I’m just a character  ;) if the skis are shorter than the tub make sure they sit forward from the tub by a few inches. Essentially have the bulk of the weight to the back. That is if it’s not too short like by a couple feet!?!?

I concur 👍

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Dec 28, 2019, 08:29 PM »
What size bolts did you use?  I was thinking of going with 3/8" or 1/2".  What I did on my risers to keep them from splitting in front or behind the cross pieces is I ran two 3" deck screws down into the risers from the top in front and behind the cross piece notch.

3/8 x 4 1/2”. Deck screws are a good idea. As I mentioned, I also put flat braces on the ends of the cross pieces.

Offline LSHD69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Dec 28, 2019, 09:00 PM »
My first build was pine and scrap lumber that I had lying around. I found the build to be heavy overall and a bit cumbersome to assemble and disassemble. I ended up rebuilding it with 1" PVC which I like a lot. It is light and strong, friction fits for easy set up and take down, and for the more permanent joints, I just used small self-tapping screws rather than glue so that I can easily change things around if I decide something is not working.

Bearnoob I like your setup. I had drawn up a similar design but with square aluminum tubing. What did you use to mount the pvc to the skis?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.