Author Topic: What boots are you using this ice fishing season?  (Read 13501 times)

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
Re: What boots are you using this ice fishing season?
« Reply #60 on: Nov 03, 2019, 03:14 AM »
DAYUM!!! Guess you don't need snowshoes!!!!!  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
I love my bunnies. Size 11 X-wide

Bunny boots are the absolute best hands down. My wife has blood circulation issues and always gets cold, but even she says her feet never get cold in the bunny boots!!!
“Some of us are wise, and some of us are otherwise” M.R. Levin...

Offline stout93

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Nov 03, 2019, 10:37 AM »
I wear Mickey's when it's above 25 or so degrees.

I wear Baffin Eiger's when it's colder.

I highly recommend Baffins.

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #62 on: Nov 03, 2019, 01:01 PM »
I wear Mickey's when it's above 25 or so degrees.

I wear Baffin Eiger's when it's colder.

I highly recommend Baffins.

Yeah the Mickey Mouse boots are great for working in as I do at work but if I’m sitting on the ice not moving much other than chasing a flag here and there I use my bunny boots. I’ve been in -25 -30 and sitting on the ice with the bunny boots and not had cold feet. Snot cycles maybe but cold feet no.

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Nov 03, 2019, 01:14 PM »
Same Mickey’s I have worn for the past 5 or so years.

Offline UnderTheIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Nov 03, 2019, 01:57 PM »
I've worn Micky's.  Swapped over to Baffin impacts.  This season I'm trying out striker's.  Trying to get something much more warmer as toes are prone to the cold.  Mickey was heavy and I didn't like how the liner scrapped the sides of my legs just above the ankle.  I liked the baffins, but my socks kept sliding and was a bit more bluky to were I could barely close my bibs with.  Might just be a sizing problem?  Was debating on either the korker polar vortex 1200 or mucks, but got the strikers instead due to getting them for almost 50% off.

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #65 on: Nov 03, 2019, 02:48 PM »
I've worn Micky's.  Swapped over to Baffin impacts.  This season I'm trying out striker's.  Trying to get something much more warmer as toes are prone to the cold.  Mickey was heavy and I didn't like how the liner scrapped the sides of my legs just above the ankle.  I liked the baffins, but my socks kept sliding and was a bit more bluky to were I could barely close my bibs with.  Might just be a sizing problem?  Was debating on either the korker polar vortex 1200 or mucks, but got the strikers instead due to getting them for almost 50% off.

Sooooo, are you guys using the Mickey Mouse boots (black Boots) or the bunny boots (white betas)? Also, a little trick to keep the rubber from irritating or causing discomfort on your legs, try rolling your LONG socks over the lip of the boot. Or you can do what I do and just run polypropylene underwear (military issue) and tuck into the boot. No more problems like you described. I’ve not tried a lot of different boots but of all those I have, the BUNNY boot (not the “black mickey”) has been the warmest and most rugged. There is a reason the military still uses these 1970’s era boots!! Though they are  difficult to pack/carry when conducting dismounted military operations. I did hear last year the Army is getting ready to field some new ECWB (Extreme Cold Weather Overboot) prototypes. So we shall see.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #66 on: Nov 03, 2019, 02:57 PM »
The instructions that came with my mickeys “black” boots are to pull sock up and overlap it over the top.works great.both black mickeys and white bunnies are nice and warm.tread and heaviness suck but mine are from 1971 and still in great shape.

Offline UnderTheIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Nov 03, 2019, 03:29 PM »
I have the black ones.  Thanks Johnj and dr.speckler,  I will give them Mickey Mouse another shot if the striker don't do.

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #68 on: Nov 03, 2019, 03:36 PM »
I have the black ones.  Thanks Johnj and dr.speckler,  I will give them Mickey Mouse another shot if the striker don't do.
Glad to help. You need the white ones though if you’re going to sit. The black ones aren’t as warm as the white bunny boots. And trust me I speak from experience, it’s a night and day difference!!! You should be able to pick up a pair of white beta bunny boots for under 100 bucks. Usually the army navy surplus stores have them or you can always check flea bay. Good luck!!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #69 on: Nov 03, 2019, 03:53 PM »
Sooooo, are you guys using the Mickey Mouse boots (black Boots) or the bunny boots (white betas)? Also, a little trick to keep the rubber from irritating or causing discomfort on your legs, try rolling your LONG socks over the lip of the boot. Or you can do what I do and just run polypropylene underwear (military issue) and tuck into the boot. No more problems like you described. I’ve not tried a lot of different boots but of all those I have, the BUNNY boot (not the “black mickey”) has been the warmest and most rugged. There is a reason the military still uses these 1970’s era boots!! Though they are  difficult to pack/carry when conducting dismounted military operations. I did hear last year the Army is getting ready to field some new ECWB (Extreme Cold Weather Overboot) prototypes. So we shall see.

I have both but have never worn my Mickey's.
I wear track pants and tuck them in my wool socks. No issues with my Bunny's rubbing.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Nov 03, 2019, 06:58 PM »
When I walk out I wear my NEOS Explorers. Having the extra arch support I can get from the tennis shoes I wear inside of them is a huge plus.

When I can drive out I’ll tend to wear my pair of trusty old La Crosse icemans that are 26 years old and still as warm as the day I got them. Paid $75 for them in the mid 90’s so now they’ve cost me less than $3 per year to use. That’s one heck of a return on investment.

Offline trophytaker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Nov 05, 2019, 03:12 PM »
Pair of mickeys. Good for huntin fishin wood Cuttin even took the wife out to dinner wearing them.

Offline Aqualift

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Nov 05, 2019, 04:26 PM »
 Second season with Baffin Impact's. My feet couldn't be happier.

Offline happyheber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tie on a Maniac the fish'll go crazy!!!
« Reply #73 on: Nov 06, 2019, 09:21 PM »
Pair of mickeys. they float to  :o save my life

Offline waltman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Nov 06, 2019, 09:34 PM »
lacross

Offline MinnesotaPike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Nov 07, 2019, 01:38 PM »
For a crew that`s on the cutting edge for most gear, y'all are missing the boat on boots.  But you're in luck because it looks like Walmart is now carrying NAT's.  Go check them out, buy them, and don't look back.  I'd advise against buying online as they fit small.
What makes those cutting edge? They look exactly like Baffin Titans at the exact same price.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Nov 07, 2019, 03:17 PM »
Hoffmans. American made. Sorels full of shoo goo. From China.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Chuck Enwinde

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Nov 11, 2019, 01:59 AM »
What makes those cutting edge? They look exactly like Baffin Titans at the exact same price.

They're made of EVA foam instead of rubber.  Much better insulating qualities at a fraction of the weight.  It's almost like a party trick when you hand someone one of them - they're that light.  I wouldn't wear Titans if they were free.  I really wish a couple of guys would get their hands on a pair so I don't have to sound like some kind of salesman.  See if they're available at your local Walmart.  I'd bet you won't buy Titans again.   

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Nov 11, 2019, 07:12 AM »
I have been using Cabela’s Men’s Trans-Alaska III Pac Boots for a few years now hands down the warmest boot i have ever worn, my feet have always been slightly chilly ever since I've been ice fishing, 43 years and counting. If you have chilly feet issues these will do the trick I couldn't be happier!

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cabelas-trans-alaska-insulated-waterproof-pac-boots-for-men

+1 on these. They're so warm that it is ridiculous!

Offline IH102

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Nov 11, 2019, 07:48 AM »
Trusty La Crosse Ice Kings

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Nov 11, 2019, 08:16 AM »
Have the cabelas ice runner pac boots wanting cabelas inferno pac boots ?

Offline Kilsdonk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Drill It Till It Squirts
« Reply #81 on: Nov 11, 2019, 11:39 AM »
Muck Boot Arctic Sports! Got them when I started college in 2011, not real great for going into water anymore since they have holes but on the ice I have no complaints.
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway
"Im surrounded by Ice holes"
:icefish:

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Nov 11, 2019, 12:14 PM »
Muck Woody Sport 2 for when it's over 30 degrees.  Muck Arctic Pro for when it's under 30 degrees.

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Nov 11, 2019, 03:47 PM »
Moon boots ;D

Offline Ba$$Buddha

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Nov 11, 2019, 04:36 PM »
Never had cold feet for a second in my Baffin Apex boots.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Nov 11, 2019, 05:08 PM »
They're made of EVA foam instead of rubber.  Much better insulating qualities at a fraction of the weight.  It's almost like a party trick when you hand someone one of them - they're that light.  I wouldn't wear Titans if they were free.  I really wish a couple of guys would get their hands on a pair so I don't have to sound like some kind of salesman.  See if they're available at your local Walmart.  I'd bet you won't buy Titans again.

Titans help keep your legs in shape for the rough portaging in Algon in spring for specks!
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline sam brodrick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Nov 12, 2019, 02:42 PM »
so you baffin guys think a pair of trappers for 76 buck delivered a worthwile investment? bear in mind im way to neurotic to sit still long enough to get cold feet. thats their price on amazon prime right now.
I hate not fishing

Offline MinnesotaPike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Nov 12, 2019, 02:56 PM »
Is that durable? It sounds like a decent idea but I'd be worried how long that's going to hold up. I will look at my local Walmart to see if they have them.

Offline stout93

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Nov 12, 2019, 03:03 PM »
so you baffin guys think a pair of trappers for 76 buck delivered a worthwile investment? bear in mind im way to neurotic to sit still long enough to get cold feet. thats their price on amazon prime right now.

Hmm...just by the looks of them I would have to say they wouldn't compare to the other Baffins that have been discussed on here. Take a look at the Baffin Impacts for example. The Trappers look more like a rubber boot and the Impacts are an insulated "moon boot."

I read through a few of the reviews online, I'm not sure the Trappers would hold up when we're talking zero degrees or below.

Offline sam brodrick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Nov 12, 2019, 03:09 PM »
Hmm...just by the looks of them I would have to say they wouldn't compare to the other Baffins that have been discussed on here. Take a look at the Baffin Impacts for example. The Titans look more like a rubber boot and the Impacts are an insulated "moon boot."

I read through a few of the reviews online, I'm not sure the Titans would hold up when we're talking zero degrees or below.

the titans are the ones everyone in every ice fishing chat on the internet swear by, they are rated fo -100 c. the trappers are only rated -76. i dont really get cold feet but i do like them dry.
I hate not fishing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.