New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Emergency on Skaneateles  (Read 3730 times)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Emergency on Skaneateles
« Reply #30 on: Feb 06, 2019, 12:47 PM »
I went thru the ice with a crack from the spud.Its ridiculous that people put their lives in the trust of a $20 spud bar.When I went thru the ice  I was fishing on 15" of ice everywhere except the 2" I found on the way out.Luckily only 5 ft of water.Dont know why it was only 2"

first tom  it's  what you said  ...second  you  maybe  should reread  before  you  post you said  you had been fishing on  15  then fell threw  2  on the  way 'OUT" now if  you  went threw   when you hit the ice  you were  already standing on bad ice  doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out .... why would  15 inches  got to  2 inches  you mean to tell me  you have  30 years  expeirance ice  fishing and  never seen a gas hole freeze over?  tom  weather you use a spud or  you don't I could care less sure i'll read about  you or see you on the  news, I do care  to let   new fisherman  know   how to use  safety equipment properly and  if  you  only step where  you  spud  your  not going threw ,it's that simple if  you are out on the  ice  and it goes  bad  a spud will guide you in if there is no was  stop sit and  call 911 again this is  not rocket science again   watch the  video  anyone  every wants a  quick lesion on how  to  use a spud i'll be more then happy to  show  you so  won't most of the other regulars  in here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQkAmWOgyQE

gonephising I never  once  said  not to bring and use other safety gear never said  not  to wear flotation   never said  not to bring picks  or a  rope   just remember  that  floatation  will  keep you up  but  you'll be in Hypothermia....  best to  not  go threw ....just saying

DON"T STEP WHERE YOU DIDN"T SPUD

Offline dougie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 06, 2019, 03:06 PM »
Trapper you should read the post before you respond.Either that or you're just too  opinionated.No where did I say not to use a spud.And no I wasn't standing on 2 "(like you were there) more like some morons cut a hole off boat launch to sink Christmas trees and by the time I found out with my spud it was too late.Its good that you know exact ice thickness with a whack of your spud apparently I dont.Glad you find YouTube so educating and now I understand your posting a little better lol.

I agree...

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Jesus walked on water...once I do it every year
« Reply #32 on: Feb 06, 2019, 03:27 PM »
Agree to what?I guess you spud every square inch of ice you walk on?Every time you check your bait?While you use the auger?While you take a leak?How many arms you guys got?Your missing the main point there is to many variables and for you to say that using a spud is a guarantee that there is safe ice and you'll be able to get off and on is stupid.Common sense is the most important tool.But I'm glad you have a magic spud and 4 arms.Nice to think you'll read about me in the news.You might... but not why you think.I got my nickname for a reason.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Feb 06, 2019, 04:33 PM »
   ....  "everywhere except the 2" I found on the way out.Luckily only 5 ft of water.Dont know why it was only 2" there but now I know not to take ice for granted because you never know "  then you  turn  around  and  write  this   some morons cut a hole off boat launch to sink Christmas trees and by the time I found out with my spud it was too late.Its good that you know exact ice thickness with a whack of your spud ...

for  God  sakes  man your story changes  more then Hillary Clintons  :roflmao: i'm sorry i can't  even take  your  seriously

moral of the  story  on questionable   ice  wack it  2 or  3  times  before  you  step   carry  your  safety  gear

tommy  one  more thing what was it like when you went threw the ice ....that's never happened to me  ;D

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #34 on: Feb 06, 2019, 04:54 PM »
Poor old man dies and all you want to do is fight about what might and what might not have keep him alive?   :-\
Theres a facebook thread started better go to that one.........
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.