Author Topic: Ifish Pro  (Read 6869 times)

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ifish Pro
« Reply #30 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:46 AM »
Finally got mine out to try yesterday for a couple hours. Little breezy but not super windy maybe around 5-6 mph? I was a little worried leaving the spool open but to my surprise no tangle or mess. I ended up using those rubber pegs bass fisherman use to pet their weights instead of a bobber stop. Figured that would be way easier to adjust.

Do you guys use circle hooks or something else?

I know it was probably the wind but any recommendations for keeping the line from wrapping around the flag? Happened to my twice.

I was using mostly circles but I gave up on the I-fish last season, most of the time the line would be fine but the couple times a wind gust grabbed it or a fish would hit it hard and it would tangle between the reel and the base eye.
I can see the benefit of them especially guys chasing big pike where hand lining has the potential to lay your fingers open but for what I'm chasing Jackers are just way more effective.

If your ever gonna be around Milford or New Ipswich area Bassin212 give me a shout... I'll give you another I-fish for your collection.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 12, 2021, 08:28 PM »
I was using mostly circles but I gave up on the I-fish last season, most of the time the line would be fine but the couple times a wind gust grabbed it or a fish would hit it hard and it would tangle between the reel and the base eye.
I can see the benefit of them especially guys chasing big pike where hand lining has the potential to lay your fingers open but for what I'm chasing Jackers are just way more effective.

If your ever gonna be around Milford or New Ipswich area Bassin212 give me a shout... I'll give you another I-fish for your collection.

I just realized this thread is from 2019! Anyways, I might take you up on that offer. I’m in Milford every Tuesday night. I coach soccer at the Hampshire Dome from 5-7:30
Tight Lines!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 13, 2021, 06:00 AM »

I just realized this thread is from 2019! Anyways, I might take you up on that offer. I’m in Milford every Tuesday night. I coach soccer at the Hampshire Dome from 5-7:30

My shop is 1/2 mile from the dome and I'm usually there till 5:00, come grab it next week...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 13, 2021, 08:10 AM »
My shop is 1/2 mile from the dome and I'm usually there till 5:00, come grab it next week...

I appreciate it! I’ll send you a PM next week
Tight Lines!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 13, 2021, 11:17 AM »
Right on bassin..

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 22, 2021, 03:53 AM »
Stealth or anyone else. Have you played around with using a bait caster instead of a spinning reel? How’d that workout? Having a tough time on those windy days. Line is wrapping around the flag once it goes off. Bait runners and spin cast reels seem awesome but just bought new rods and reels for my IFish set up and don’t really want to spend more on reels and have extra. I feel like I have two options.

Put baitcasters I already have on my 36”MH Dave Genz split handle rods, but I think they’re meant for spinning. I like the idea of the fish taking it on a “open spool”

Or just loosen the drag on the spinning reels, prob the easiest option, but don’t love the idea of it not being free spooling.
Tight Lines!

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 22, 2021, 02:46 PM »
Put baitcasters I already have on my 36”MH Dave Genz split handle rods, but I think they’re meant for spinning. I like the idea of the fish taking it on a “open spool”

Or just loosen the drag on the spinning reels, prob the easiest option, but don’t love the idea of it not being free spooling.
Fwiw, a spinning rod will have larger eyes (guides) on the reel end and they'll gradually get smaller. They're made that way to accommodate the wide loops coming off the reel. On a bait caster, the line's coming off perpendicular to a spinning reel, in a straight line. Smaller more  uniform guides on those rods. The "spine" on a spinning rod is on the opposite side of a bait caster rod to maximize the strength of the rod when flexed. Not a major deal unless you're bringing in trophy big fish.
BTW, a bait runner reel has two drag systems. The bait runner drag can be set so light that it just holds the bait, current or wind from taking out line. When you flip a switch or turn the handle, it turns in to the fighting drag which is preset to the target species. Proper drag settings can mean the difference between bringing in a fish and losing fish! Jus sayin....   

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Jan 22, 2021, 02:59 PM »
^^^ this guy is right you know
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 22, 2021, 04:50 PM »
Stealth or anyone else. Have you played around with using a bait caster instead of a spinning reel? How’d that workout? Having a tough time on those windy days. Line is wrapping around the flag once it goes off. Bait runners and spin cast reels seem awesome but just bought new rods and reels for my IFish set up and don’t really want to spend more on reels and have extra. I feel like I have two options.

I did try bait casters... I had a couple Abu c5000s I thought would work well but what I found was a light bite was fine and did work well but if something freight trained the bait the reel would end up backlashing...
I think the best setup is what CD mentioned with a bait runner but if you want to make what you got work, I had the best luck with spinning reels with the drag backed off and knowing how many turns of the drag I needed to get in the ball park for a good hook set.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #39 on: Jan 22, 2021, 05:50 PM »
Not sure why but I wanna call them Ifishslo's because they just seem like a pain.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 22, 2021, 05:52 PM »
Thanks for the info stealth, thread has been very helpful.

CD I know baitrunners are ideal and how they work, I was just trying to make what I have work instead of shelling out extra money and then having 2 extra reels. I’ll probably just back the drag off for now and then end up buying some in the future.
Tight Lines!

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 22, 2021, 05:55 PM »
Not sure why but I wanna call them Ifishslo's because they just seem like a pain.

Haha, they definitely suck for packing. BUT tbh I like them better for setting up than the jaw jackers for deeper water tbh. I also like that they cover the hole and have a flag. I know you can get around those things with the jackers and I use some of those “hacks”. And setting the hook is half the fun!
Tight Lines!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #42 on: Jan 22, 2021, 06:34 PM »
The set the hook argument is lost on me because I don't care how hard a jaw jacker jacks I'm setting the hook.  The one thing the ifishslo's are good for is not smashing your face with a loaded rod. On the flip side not having to look at my shanty at jackers because I can hear them pop is nice. 

Maybe people forgot about these but HT Riggers are the originals and much easier to use and store.  I have some hiding somewhere.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 22, 2021, 07:03 PM »
I have an HT as well, much better rod holder! I like the fact you mark your depth on the IFish, but honestly could do that on all of them if you really want to. All my jackers have bells, love hearing it snap and then jingle
Tight Lines!

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 22, 2021, 08:24 PM »
CD I know baitrunners are ideal and how they work, I was just trying to make what I have work instead of shelling out extra money and then having 2 extra reels. I’ll probably just back the drag off for now and then end up buying some in the future.
If you want to use what you have and not shell out the money now, That's fine. Stealth probably had the best solution for that.
If you're worried about 2 extra reels, don't be.
You can use bait runners the same way you use any spinning reel.
I can think of a lot of us on here, that have way more than 2 "extra" reels on hand.
Fishing is an addiction.  ;D   

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 22, 2021, 08:39 PM »
It definitely is an addiction. Like I said, I’ll buy them eventually, just not for now. Today was expensive! Got the sled registered and fixed (needed a new chain case and starter motor) and also bought a -20 bag to do some camping on the ice.
Tight Lines!

Offline Ranetrain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 22, 2021, 09:52 PM »
I have an HT as well, much better rod holder! I like the fact you mark your depth on the IFish, but honestly could do that on all of them if you really want to. All my jackers have bells, love hearing it snap and then jingle

Would you mind sharing how you set up
Bells on the jackers? I had some bells that had alligator clips on them almost like a sounder, but they would launch off the rod whenever jacker got hit. I’ve dabbled with tying them on with string and whatnot, but I’ve found they get in the way when fighting fish. Curious to hear about your setup.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 23, 2021, 08:43 AM »
Would you mind sharing how you set up
Bells on the jackers? I had some bells that had alligator clips on them almost like a sounder, but they would launch off the rod whenever jacker got hit. I’ve dabbled with tying them on with string and whatnot, but I’ve found they get in the way when fighting fish. Curious to hear about your setup.

Tight Lines!

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Jan 23, 2021, 08:45 AM »
Forget the bells. I need to know more about that flag system you got there. I always thought jackets should have a flag but I’m too anal about my rods to put tape all over em.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline Ranetrain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Jan 23, 2021, 11:43 AM »
Forget the bells. I need to know more about that flag system you got there. I always thought jackets should have a flag but I’m too anal about my rods to put tape all over em.

Ditto!!!!

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 23, 2021, 01:51 PM »
Guy on Facebook is selling them/makes them. $25 per system/flag. If you guys are interested let me know. I can get you the info
Tight Lines!

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Jan 23, 2021, 01:52 PM »
First trout on the IFish pro... windy as hell!

Tight Lines!

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #52 on: Jan 23, 2021, 02:20 PM »
First trout on the IFish pro... windy as hell!

Nice one!

Offline Ranetrain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Jan 23, 2021, 02:25 PM »
Guy on Facebook is selling them/makes them. $25 per system/flag. If you guys are interested let me know. I can get you the info

PM sent. Thanks!

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Jan 23, 2021, 04:31 PM »
I don’t have Facebook but I shire would appreciate the info.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #55 on: Jan 24, 2021, 07:43 AM »
I’m the same way,I hate the tape on my rods so I painted the drop boards on my slammers Blaze orange. So instead of a bright flag popping up mine is reverse, color disappears. You see all those end zone pylons and then ones missing

I did have a buddy with the bells on his jigging jaw jacker yesterday and after about 10 min of listening to that I told him take them off or I will

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Jan 24, 2021, 10:34 AM »
For anyone interested in the flag system. His names John and he lives in NH and makes them himself, currently on back order but not sure eta. He can be reached at: [email protected]
Tight Lines!

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Jan 24, 2021, 10:39 AM »
For anyone interested in the flag system. His names John and he lives in NH and makes them himself, currently on back order but not sure eta. He can be reached at: [email protected]

Thank you!
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #58 on: Jan 26, 2021, 03:29 AM »
I’m the same way,I hate the tape on my rods so I painted the drop boards on my slammers Blaze orange. So instead of a bright flag popping up mine is reverse, color disappears. You see all those end zone pylons and then ones missing

I did have a buddy with the bells on his jigging jaw jacker yesterday and after about 10 min of listening to that I told him take them off or I will

I can't do bells.  I'd walk off onto thin ice.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #59 on: Jan 26, 2021, 04:51 AM »
I can't do bells.  I'd walk off onto thin ice.

Agreed

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.