Author Topic: Marcum LX-5 Review  (Read 98214 times)

adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
Re: Marcum LX-5 Review
« Reply #20 on: Mar 26, 2006, 09:45 AM »
yes lonewolf..you did a side by side comparison but did you have the equivalent product,model,price or was one model better and had more options that the other......that is the question of the day here.How many models of flashers does Mercum and Vex have anyway,also?

LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #21 on: Mar 26, 2006, 11:22 AM »
My intention was to give my review of the LX-5 to help members but I guess it ended up going into a comparison.

I purchased and used Marcums top of the line ... the LX-5.
I had and used Vexilars top of the line ..... The FL-18 Ultra Pack.

The price of the FL-18 Ultra Pack w/ dual beam transducer is $499.00 and that's without the soft case.
The price of the LX-5 , which comes with the dual beam trans standard and soft case is $479.00 .

Obviously one unit is going to have different options than the other. The FL-18 has bottom zoom and the LX-5 has adjustable zoom. One unit has more power , etc., etc. .

I think you should re-read this review and do some research of your own. 
You can go to either manufacturers website and find out a wealth of info.  ;)

Those who are brave are free ..

grumpymoe

« Reply #22 on: Mar 29, 2006, 07:48 PM »
I still like to watch my livies do the jitterbug when a fish gets near.....perhaps Marcum could provide me with a demo to change my mind....Grump ;D

TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #23 on: Mar 29, 2006, 07:56 PM »
Ahhh yes the jitterbug. That was sweet man, real sweet. Kind of reminded me of my first date when I tried to show her my livie. :woot: :woot: :woot: But thats another story ;)
In BC we can't use livies. I will be checking into the Marcum. I have a vex FL-18 now. Thanks for posting reviews guys.

iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 30, 2006, 08:00 PM »
Fished Devils lake & had to use FL-18 with the guide service my wife & myself used, we were in portable shanty side by side & could not get the interference to stop so we could both could use the VEXES at the same ! I shut mine off so she could fish. Wife said they can have their Junk she is keeping her LX-3 !!!!!! With my LX-5 we can fish side by side using both units at the same time! MARCUM !!!!!!!! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Michigander

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Friend of Ben Hur On Ice! Hello Muskrat !!
« Reply #25 on: Jul 29, 2006, 11:03 AM »
Vex Forever - Flat Screen and 12% larger display / bright-dim switch for select fit / perfect match of componants is what matters .... whatever works for you, but  ;D ;D
Dave Hunt
A Brother Of The Angle
I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me ><>

Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jul 29, 2006, 01:38 PM »
Gander, what are you talking about? You're still running an 8.  ;D ;D

Ken                                          

trapperdirk

« Reply #27 on: Jul 30, 2006, 07:26 PM »
Gander, what are you talking about? You're still running an 8.  ;D ;D

Yeah exactly what I heard too Bean . ROTFLMAO  ;D Good too see you again you ol dog Michigander . What happened to that sharp memory though or did you loose your goose . ??? ;D LMAO

TD

IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Guess who's day is about to be ruined.
« Reply #28 on: Sep 03, 2006, 02:00 AM »
Picked Up my LX 5 yesterday at Cabelas in Dundee MI. Super impressed with the workmanship. Now I have to sneak out of the house when the "old lady" isn't lookin and try it out!

I called last week to the Dundee store and they had 1 (THATS O-N-E)  LX 5 left in stock. Lots of Vex's,LX 1's, LX 3's, and VXR's in stock though. I put it on hold and picked it up yesterday. As of Saturday all thats left is the display model. When I went to customer service to pick it up, they couldn't find it. Stood there at the counter while they looked for it for 45 minutes to an hour with a real sad look on my face. Long story short, the sweetheart (and really cute) young lady behind the counter worked her pretty little tail off and finally found it. On top of that they gave me a 10% discount for having to wait for it.
NOW THATS CUSTOMER SERVICE! GOOD JOB CABELAS!

For all that want the LX 5 there will be more in sometime in October. There are other retailers on the Marcum website that have them but the LX 5 is apparently selling really well at Cabelas

Look out Vexilar.....Here comes Marcum  ;D
May the ice gods smile upon you this season.

The Darkness

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Sep 03, 2006, 12:04 PM »
Picked Up my LX 5 yesterday at Cabelas in Dundee MI. Super impressed with the workmanship. Now I have to sneak out of the house when the "old lady" isn't lookin and try it out!

You're gonna' love it!

WORK is that annoying time between FISHING TRIPS

ryan johnson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #30 on: Sep 16, 2006, 09:56 PM »
owned almost every flasher..my lx-5 is the best..

trapperdirk

« Reply #31 on: Sep 17, 2006, 05:14 PM »
Nice catch of fish Ryan . Congrats . ;D

TD

ryan johnson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #32 on: Sep 18, 2006, 05:03 PM »
yeah been a long time since we caught our limits of crappie,we usually don't take that many home, but we were having a huge fry back at the cabin 15+ people... ate them all.. ;D thx..

thebuckmaster

« Reply #33 on: Oct 17, 2006, 02:12 PM »
owned almost every flasher..my lx-5 is the best..

Used an FL18 Dual Ultra last season!
Seems to have trouble getting rid of noise from other flashers in the same vicinity, no matter how often I would use the noise reducer.
Picked up an LX-5 a couple of months ago from Marine General in Minnesota!
They told me anyone can order from them anytime, cause if they don't have it in stock they will order direct from the factory which is just around the corner from them.

Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Oct 17, 2006, 03:37 PM »
Just an FYI, I heard thru the grapevine that you won't be able to get these or any other Marcum "named" flasher from "The World's Foremost Outfitter" anymore. It seems that "another flasher company" is worried and bought the rights to be the sole supplier of flashers to "The World's Foremost Outfitter".  I also heard thru the grapevine that one of IceShanty's sponsors, Fish307, should start carrying Marcum flashers shortly.
Ken                                          

CSP88

« Reply #35 on: Oct 17, 2006, 04:01 PM »
Just an FYI, I heard thru the grapevine that you won't be able to get these or any other Marcum "named" flasher from "The World's Foremost Outfitter" anymore. It seems that "another flasher company" is worried and bought the rights to be the sole supplier of flashers to "The World's Foremost Outfitter". 

Bean, the "rumor" I heard was this decision was based on Marcum's inability to meet orders based on slow production.....not the "worried about the competition" you heard.  Since Marcum is now a site sponsor, maybe someone in the know will shed some light on this to clear it all up....Tim you there??

Slappy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Gettin' jiggy with it!
« Reply #36 on: Oct 24, 2006, 07:24 PM »
I've been trying to compare the LX-3 and LX-5. At quick glance, it looks like the main difference is the adjustable cone to 12 degrees. Am I missing any other features? Being new to flashes, is that smaller cone worth the extra $100 or so?

trapperdirk

« Reply #37 on: Oct 26, 2006, 09:44 AM »
Well actually it's 20 degrees and 8 degrees for the Marcum LX-5 . Yes the biggest difference between the LX-3TC and the LX-5 is the dual cone but also there is the SFL super fine line with the LX-5 . In order for me to give you an opinion and I'm sure others will agree it would help if you had an idea of what type of fishing you do .

What I would like to know is if you fish tight to steep drop offs especially in deep water and also do you fish heavy weeds . I always got along just fine using the 20 degree cone on the LX-3 and never as of yet ran into what is the dead zone situation where a smaller cone would be needed but I'm sure it can happen and I do have an LX-5 . I know quite a few lads that fish heavy weeds and from what I've been told is that the 8 degree cone really cuts out alot of the extra lines the weeds will show and you can see your jig alot better amongst them with the tighter cone and it makes sense to me to utilize the feature if this occurs . Also if your fishing close to other sonars the smaller cone will help with interference issues that may occur .

I think it's worth the extra 100 bucks if you really run across these situations regularly but if not then the need is not there and no use in spending the extra . In most situations that I fish and thats alot of lakes just the one cone has been fine but areas and how they have to be fished may differ . Anyways good luck with your choice .

TD

Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Oct 26, 2006, 10:38 AM »
I've been trying to compare the LX-3 and LX-5. At quick glance, it looks like the main difference is the adjustable cone to 12 degrees. Am I missing any other features? Being new to flashes, is that smaller cone worth the extra $100 or so?

There's 3 things.
1st there is the addition of the 8 degree transducer as Trapperdirk mentioned.
2nd is the power output is increased from 1500 watts to 2000 watts.
3rd which has to do a little with the 2nd item is a feature called Super Fine Line. What it does is allows you to be in the non zoom mode(full screen) and have your target separation decreased to .75" instead of the normal 2.15". It will allow you to see fish that are real close to the bottom more easily without being in the zoom mode. It allows you to improve your separation while viewing the entire water column.
Also, the difference is $80 and not $100.
So when looking at both of those units, you'll have to decide if the added features would be something you would use.
Ken                                          

macker13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Nov 20, 2006, 09:21 AM »
For what it's worth,  The Worlds Formost Outfitter still has them on thier website.

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.