New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Weight or no weight  (Read 2503 times)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Weight or no weight
« Reply #30 on: Dec 26, 2018, 01:15 PM »
now wait  a  minute  although I am  enjoying the  different  opinions  I  do wish to remind  tblaster  in  your  first post when  you started this  thread you  mentioned it  being personal prefferance  and  that you wanted  others opinions and how they set up ....now that your  getting them why are you disagreeing   do you  want  other fishermans ideas  or  do you just want others to  agree  with  you????? I been fishing a long time and seldom have I seen fisherman  set up the same .....  no  right or  wrong  really people  do different things  for  their own reasons  and  conditions....neither of  you are  wrong

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Dec 26, 2018, 02:01 PM »
now wait  a  minute  although I am  enjoying the  different  opinions  I  do wish to remind  tblaster  in  your  first post when  you started this  thread you  mentioned it  being personal prefferance  and  that you wanted  others opinions and how they set up ....now that your  getting them why are you disagreeing   do you  want  other fishermans ideas  or  do you just want others to  agree  with  you????? I been fishing a long time and seldom have I seen fisherman  set up the same .....  no  right or  wrong  really people  do different things  for  their own reasons  and  conditions....neither of  you are  wrong

There is no right or wrong, that is 100% true. It's all personal preference and what has worked for you in the past. My buddy that uses a split shot on his tip ups swears by it.. I bust his balls I never use them and we both always put nice fish on the ice. Hell, a buddy of mine caught a rainbow with the hook tied directly to the main line, no leader! I caught a walleye once when I dropped my sounder to the bottom.. I just hear a lot of opinions on why you should use weight, and I'm just trying to point out that its unnecessary. But that is just my preference!

Btw I'm one lucky guy in 25+ years of fishing I can recall 1 time I had a minnow that didn't want to swim down the hole... i unhooked it and put it back in the bucket.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 26, 2018, 02:13 PM »
There is no right or wrong, that is 100% true. It's all personal preference and what has worked for you in the past. My buddy that uses a split shot on his tip ups swears by it.. I bust his balls I never use them and we both always put nice fish on the ice. Hell, a buddy of mine caught a rainbow with the hook tied directly to the main line, no leader! I caught a walleye once when I dropped my sounder to the bottom.. I just hear a lot of opinions on why you should use weight, and I'm just trying to point out that its unnecessary. But that is just my preference!

Btw I'm one lucky guy in 25+ years of fishing I can recall 1 time I had a minnow that didn't want to swim down the hole... i unhooked it and put it back in the bucket.

Extremely lucky, pretty much every time I set tip ups theres a few that just don't get it.  Feels like it takes an hour to get a minnow to the bottom in 30 fow without a bit of weight, especially when said minnow decides it wants to swim straight up or go halfway down then stop.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Dec 26, 2018, 02:21 PM »
that can  be  the  depth you fish  for northerns  I  fish  close  to the ice  ....I have  learned  one thing ...don't  be afraid  to switch up   if  you ice  more  fish then me i'm going to copy you!  and I would  assume   the same is  true in reverse I never set  tip ups  for  walleyes  just  jigged them ......now  I  was  fishing  one  day  with a camera  in the water  a  auga  view  was  my buddies  and I  was watching a northern   and  bluegills were swimming over the  top of  him , i  caught a  smaller  gill and  he swallowed the  hook ,I unhooked  him  best I  could  tossed  him in the  hole  that  fish  became  pike  candy  as  soon as he  acted  different then the other  fish ......

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 26, 2018, 03:46 PM »
I'm just talking in general, not only pike.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.