The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Cordless drills  (Read 6135 times)

Offline Moosekill

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Cordless drills
« Reply #30 on: Dec 02, 2018, 01:59 PM »
Dewalt and Milwaukee both make the best cordless drills.  If the cheaper home depot/lowes drills work for what you need then that is awesome.  They are not made the same and will not last as well, you are getting what you pay for when you buy them, but you don't always need the most expensive tool to do the job.  Just don't fool yourself into thinking they are as good or better than the red and yellow tools, they aren't. 

Offline TroutWorm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 04, 2018, 02:48 PM »
Agreed me to
I don't use drills to cut holes.  I use a 50v Ion auger.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #32 on: Dec 04, 2018, 07:48 PM »
A little late to this thread, where was the special if you you bought the battery the drill was free? I’m looking at getting one!
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 04, 2018, 07:54 PM »
A little late to this thread, where was the special if you you bought the battery the drill was free? I’m looking at getting one!
Answered my own question, Home Depot looks like its still running the sale
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline csiacd78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 05, 2018, 06:30 AM »
It's a great deal! I looked them up, made by the same parent company as Milwaukee. Head to head videos show it compare well. Add that with thier return policy I see it a win! Well, after I see how well it turns an augers! My buddy got one so we will be doing races. We have 3 nils 8" mora 8", and a k-drill 8". Should give us something fun to do in between flags!

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 05, 2018, 08:24 AM »
I picked one up for my 8” Nils. The warranty is what sold it for me.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #36 on: Dec 20, 2018, 10:27 AM »
is the deal still going?

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 20, 2018, 10:42 AM »
Sure is.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #38 on: Dec 20, 2018, 11:07 AM »
is the deal still going?
170$ for the battery and charger. the 150$ drill is free. supposed to be going until start of next year.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #39 on: Dec 20, 2018, 11:27 AM »
thats tough to beat. Thanks Drew.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 20, 2018, 12:51 PM »
I just bought an 8" k ndrill and installed my Ryobi I drilled two holes and battery was dead I then went to Home depot and they had a 7 hr Lithum battery $129.00 I tried it and it buzzed two holes with no problem.  I never realized the batteries came in different sizes 

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 20, 2018, 02:20 PM »
whoops  Drilled 6 holes and my drill smoked bad and does not work, Battery still had life but drill is dead

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #42 on: Dec 20, 2018, 03:10 PM »
woodchip, because you bought from home depot they have the 90 day hassle free return policy. if you pitch in another 40 you can have the octane kit or what ever you want to use.
all they ask is if it works when you return any thing.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 20, 2018, 03:48 PM »
The drill I have had a couple of years but the big battery was what I bought yesterday. Not sure if the new brushless would have worked better

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Dec 20, 2018, 03:56 PM »
The drill I have had a couple of years but the big battery was what I bought yesterday. Not sure if the new brushless would have worked better

How much torque does the drill have?  Likely not enough, brushless is mandatory imo if you want to use an 8 (7.5) inch auger.  Also the K drill has chipper blades so it is going to take more revolutions to cut, which is a bit harder on the drill.  I've been using my K drill with a milwaukee 2704 for 3 seasons and it has been solid.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Dec 20, 2018, 04:19 PM »
Thanks for the info. Tomorrow it will be raining Ill go back to Home Depot and get a bigger drill. Not sure if my drill is repairable. I still have two other drills that the battery fits.

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 20, 2018, 09:00 PM »
Out of curiosity anyone ever try a gas powered post hole auger for ice?

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Dec 21, 2018, 08:18 AM »
That would be a heavier machine to carry around and still dependent on gas. the reason everyone is going to battery operated mach is no gas and lighter.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Dec 21, 2018, 08:35 AM »
That would be a heavier machine to carry around and still dependent on gas. the reason everyone is going to battery operated mach is no gas and lighter.

I think poster was more interested in whether or not a post hole digger would work through ice vs. the gas and drill debate. 

Offline copperjig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 21, 2018, 08:46 AM »
I was just checking out the deal on the Rigid, which is definitely a good one.  However for those of you that like Dewalt, Home Depot is offering a the 20volt max combo kit which comes with drill/driver (1825 inlbs of torque, impact driver, 2 batteries (1) 2amp (1) 4amp, charger and a free 4amp battery.  All for around $300.
Spud, throw rope, PFD and stay on top

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Dec 21, 2018, 09:13 AM »
I was just checking out the deal on the Rigid, which is definitely a good one.  However for those of you that like Dewalt, Home Depot is offering a the 20volt max combo kit which comes with drill/driver (1825 inlbs of torque, impact driver, 2 batteries (1) 2amp (1) 4amp, charger and a free 4amp battery.  All for around $300.
.   1825 in lbs of torque?  if true, wow!!

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 21, 2018, 09:25 AM »
I don't see much a difference in weight the post hole digger weighs 20lbs where as I'm finding most electric augers weigh in at 22lbs you factor in a can of gas and yes the gas machine does weigh more but how do the Batts stand up to cold? But yes I was mainly just wondering if anyone ever tried to cutt through ice with one.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Dec 21, 2018, 09:29 AM »
.   1825 in lbs of torque?  if true, wow!!

I think that is for the impact driver, which you do not want to use for ice.

Offline caught_the_fever

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Dec 21, 2018, 12:31 PM »
welp, after debating whether to use a drill with my Nils I pulled the trigger after seeing the Home Depot deal on this Ridgid.  Hoping I can get my hands on it before hitting the ice next week. 

Thanks to all who had provided some feedback (and Pike Fisherman for the youtube spot - I've got the same set-up). 

Looking forward to putting this one to the test.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #54 on: Dec 21, 2018, 01:12 PM »
My call would also be that you'll be fine with your Bosch spinning a 4" Lazer. Many guys are running 8" augers with their drills and an 8" hole requires moving four times as much

ice as a 4" hole requiring much higher torque. You shouldn't even need a Clam plate to control it.

Well, I just put my little Bosch 600 in.# to the test yesterday and it passed with flying colors. Turned my 4" laser like a champ. Took 2 hands to operate and did grab a few times at the bottom of the hole (which I expected it would do) but other than that...Drilled about 30 holes through 6" of ice using a 4ah battery, back at full capacity after 30 minutes of charging when I got home. And I honestly thing it will cut a 6" hole with no problem (gonna try it anyway whenever I set some tip ups out).
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Dec 21, 2018, 01:52 PM »
I thought I would be able to get into a portable drill for a fairly reasonable   price I had to pay 244.00 for a K Drill 16.00 for an adapter 79.00 for a clam adapter  .now 129.00 for a battery and lost my Ridged drill being too small and now back to get another drill ,Battery and charger.  appreciate all the feed back now to go and get the recommended  drill and charger. Thanks.   

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Dec 21, 2018, 02:29 PM »
Well, I just put my little Bosch 600 in.# to the test yesterday and it passed with flying colors. Turned my 4" laser like a champ. Took 2 hands to operate and did grab a few times at the bottom of the hole (which I expected it would do) but other than that...Drilled about 30 holes through 6" of ice using a 4ah battery, back at full capacity after 30 minutes of charging when I got home. And I honestly thing it will cut a 6" hole with no problem (gonna try it anyway whenever I set some tip ups out).
As long as it’s brushless you should be fine up to 6” lazer, maybe 7” with shaver like mora or eskimo style augers. 

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Dec 21, 2018, 04:12 PM »
welp, after debating whether to use a drill with my Nils I pulled the trigger after seeing the Home Depot deal on this Ridgid.  Hoping I can get my hands on it before hitting the ice next week. 

Thanks to all who had provided some feedback (and Pike Fisherman for the youtube spot - I've got the same set-up). 

Looking forward to putting this one to the test.

Hope you enjoy the set up.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Dec 21, 2018, 06:37 PM »
That was what I ended up with a Ridgid Brushless  18 volt 2 speed  It comes with free service, free batteries, free parts ,free service for life. 750 lbs of torque a strong horizontal handle  2 1.5 ah batteries .But I bought 2 more 4.0 amp hour batteries. Should work out .   Best for the money right now.

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Dec 22, 2018, 10:12 AM »

A 4 inch hole isn't much of a hole. After a couple hours in cold weather be even smaller. What do you fish for that will come through a  tiny hole like that ?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.