Author Topic: 2017 Team NH Get Together! Saturday, March 18, 2017 Grand Prize Bobhouse!  (Read 8454 times)

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Roccus, Nice work on those plugs, you are a true craftsman! :)

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Roccus,

A great addition to an excellent event... thank you!

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
Roccus asked me to post these custom made striper plugs he personally built from scratch. He does an excellent job. I'm sure someone will get a monster on one of these beauties.(Image removed from quote.)
They are beauties. I won one of these last year and didn't even want to use it, so nicely crafted thought it might look better mounted on the wall. Caught some nice ones. Thanks Roccus.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
 I'm glad everyone enjoys them..it's a small contribution compared to the effort Keith pust forth to make this day a reality... not everyone can use them but they do make nice ornaments.. but I build them to be fished... a lot of work goes into each one from the start... after turning ( the easy part... 3 minutes tops) each one is hydro oriented... simply meaning each plug is spun in a bucket  of water... then the top is marked... the main reason for this is to allow weighting to swim the plug ..not try and overcome the dense grain of the wood... once dried.. the plugs are drilled and weighted ( experience and trial and error tells me where and how much weight)..then  they go  into a linseed oil/mineral spirits bath to seal  the plugs endgrain... not doing so will make them swell /crack and split.. at a minimum they would absorb water and swim like a dead tree branch... they then receive 2 coats of primer... painting is done via air brush with water based acrylic paint... I have various nettings and patterns for scale design... some plugs may get as many as 6 layers of paint....after the paint has cured 48 hours I seal the paint with  clear lacquer... again waiting 48 hours before assembling and applying bar top epoxy... the plugs spin in a home made oven/ rotisserie to cure and allow the epoxy to form evenly on the plug... once the plugs have cured 72 hours the hooks can be placed on them and they can be handled normally ... each plug takes me about 2 to 2 1/2 hours each to complete.. so.. I hope anyone receiving /winning one fishes the crap out it... once  destroyed.. then it can be hung on the wall as a trophy of war!
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict

Priceless! Thanks for the description roccus! Cool to hear all the work that goes into those beauties!!

Thank you,
Jason

that is thinking with your dipstick......jimmy

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Roccus,

X2 on the description - as mentioned earlier - craftsman for sure.

Question - do the jointed plugs start as single piece of stock so the orientation matches on both halves and then cut after they dry?

Just curious... 

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Tomorrow is the day!!!

The weather is looking pretty good (similar to today) and there's a Free BBQ and Raffle ticket. So it's just the cost of your gas...

Its primary objective was to get a bunch of us together to enjoy and event where You can meet your fellow ice anglers, put a name with a face and talk Fishing.

The BBQ and Raffle are just an added incentive.

We do it in March because the other Derbies are usually all done with and it's still too cold for open water or much yard work... So why not come down and hang out and make some new buddies?  ;)

There's plenty of Great food and Raffle Prizes up for grabs so of You've been on the fence about going? It's definitely worth the trip. Hope to See You Guys there!

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm starting to fill out the name tags so everyone will know who they are talking to. Weather looks good see everyone tomorrow. "Don't be Late".

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm starting to fill out the name tags so everyone will know who they are talking to. Weather looks good see everyone tomorrow. "Don't be Late".

Denny?  How about a Dick Baker name tag with a big smiley face?  My first get together ::)
Dick

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Roccus,

X2 on the description - as mentioned earlier - craftsman for sure.

Question - do the jointed plugs start as single piece of stock so the orientation matches on both halves and then cut after they dry?

Just curious...
...the giant jointed pike is 14"..I turn that in two pieces. ..weighting is custom for each one..the smaller 8"jointed striper pokie is turned in one piece ...at the determined place I use the skew and remove material while it is still on the lathe...then machine marks are put on each blank section so thy can be reunited during assembly

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I emptied my bait tank tonight...I have about 3 dozen shiners to share with any one that doesn't have bait...

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Denny?  How about a Dick Baker name tag with a big smiley face?  My first get together ::)
Dick

Pat just finished the smiley face see you tomorrow.

Offline perch boy

• Team IceShanty Addict
I wish I was going to tomorrow's festivities how ever my job is taking me away on an emergency job that can't wait. I really did want to be there.  I want to thank NH Trout Fisherman for the invite and Hope if he bought a ticket for the raffle that he wins the bob house, for he deserves it for putting this  together. If he is the kind of guy that I think he is tough, if he did win it he would probably turn around and re-raffle it off just so someone else could get a chance at it. Although I can't make it tomorrow  I will be thinking of all of you. and good luck to all. Be safe and have fun
PB

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
...the giant jointed pike is 14"..I turn that in two pieces. ..weighting is custom for each one..the smaller 8"jointed striper pokie is turned in one piece ...at the determined place I use the skew and remove material while it is still on the lathe...then machine marks are put on each blank section so thy can be reunited during assembly
Very interesting - thanks!

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Today's the Day Guys!  :icefish: :thumbsup:

Alot of Guys Already out on the Ice!
Suns out and No Wind!

Gonna Be a Great Day! Hope to See You all sometime today!

Offline salmon-egg

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks Keith, had a great time yesterday. Plus can't forget the cook. Thanks trout freak the food was great too
<br /><br /><br />

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
Keith any pictures from the event?  It was my sons birthday, couldn't convince him and his buddies to go over laser tag.  Sounds like it was a good time.  I met a bunch of shanty people out on the ice this year, we all shared information with each other, great group of people.  I am prepping for open water season, good luck to those still fishing and be safe.

Offline Riverat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Our Winter Home on the Lake.
Also looking forward to pictures, I didn't think anything could keep me away from this event, I look forward to it every year but after the last snowstorm I have been having heart problems again. Severe enough to keep me from attending, going in Wednesday to see what's up. Hopefully we will be there next year.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Also looking forward to pictures, I didn't think anything could keep me away from this event, I look forward to it every year but after the last snowstorm I have been having heart problems again. Severe enough to keep me from attending, going in Wednesday to see what's up. Hopefully we will be there next year.

I was looking for you there I think you have been to all of them. Good luck Wednesday hope all turns out well you will be there next year.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I was looking for you there I think you have been to all of them. Good luck Wednesday hope all turns out well you will be there next year.

X2 - good luck on Wednesday and we'll EXPECT you there next year!

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm glad everyone enjoys them..it's a small contribution compared to the effort Keith pust forth to make this day a reality... not everyone can use them but they do make nice ornaments.. but I build them to be fished... a lot of work goes into each one from the start... after turning ( the easy part... 3 minutes tops) each one is hydro oriented... simply meaning each plug is spun in a bucket  of water... then the top is marked... the main reason for this is to allow weighting to swim the plug ..not try and overcome the dense grain of the wood... once dried.. the plugs are drilled and weighted ( experience and trial and error tells me where and how much weight)..then  they go  into a linseed oil/mineral spirits bath to seal  the plugs endgrain... not doing so will make them swell /crack and split.. at a minimum they would absorb water and swim like a dead tree branch... they then receive 2 coats of primer... painting is done via air brush with water based acrylic paint... I have various nettings and patterns for scale design... some plugs may get as many as 6 layers of paint....after the paint has cured 48 hours I seal the paint with  clear lacquer... again waiting 48 hours before assembling and applying bar top epoxy... the plugs spin in a home made oven/ rotisserie to cure and allow the epoxy to form evenly on the plug... once the plugs have cured 72 hours the hooks can be placed on them and they can be handled normally ... each plug takes me about 2 to 2 1/2 hours each to complete.. so.. I hope anyone receiving /winning one fishes the crap out it... once  destroyed.. then it can be hung on the wall as a trophy of war!
Amazing craftsmanship, meticulousness X 3 or 4 or more, Roccus!  :clap:
And they're deadly!

Sorry to hear about your situation, Riverat.
Hope your Wed visit brought positive news.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!

X3 good luck on Wednesday RR
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
OUTSTANDING NHTF!

What a day!!! Definitely something that i (and I'm sure all of the Circus) looks forward too. Always nice to see so many people with the same interest and same sprit and laughter. It was non stop. Smiles all day and great conversations.

As you can imagine for one guy to put this on is a huge undertaking especially stressful but kept it organized and was always thoughtful and kind hearted. We know you put a ton of effort into this. I believe everyone sincerely appreciates it. Cheers to you Keith thank you for bringing the masses together.

A huge thanks to NFS JimmyRig and Company. Can you believe it, a donated finished bob house! Their build quality is second to none from these guys and i can tell you that the folks that won it will put it to great use. Mimi (Psycho's mom) won it then gave it to her grandson Mason. Mason is the next generation and loves to ice fish. He's been ice fishing ever since i can remember. Been fun watching him and his brother grow up and get educated on the ice. He is 16yrs old now and is hardcore. I can also tell you that it will be well taken care of not only by Mason but his family and by the rest of the circus too. Thank you Jason, it went to a great family.

Not to forget Troutfreak, dude you are a chief for real. (Really, he's graduate of culinary arts). I don't know how you cooked all that food but i did enjoy eating it. Great job as always man.

Last but not least to all the folks with great attitudes that came to this event. I was impressed by how everyone seemed to just relax, take it all in, meet up or greet up and showed patience while others pitched in to help out where they could, etc...very homegrown.
Funny, some folks i only see once a year (at this event, early ice fishing, AVFD derby etc...) and its something that i think about, talk about during the off season and look forward to each year. Always fun getting together with familiar faces and making new acquaintances. Sounds like the Newfound Circus might also be growing in numbers in years to come.

Thanks too to those that donated items for raffle, simply amazing. That's what makes this event so powerful, folks getting together to share a common interest Ice Fishing and having fun. You gotta do something in the winter to keep you sane living in New England. Im glad i was introduced to ice fishing.

Cheers.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
OUTSTANDING NHTF!

What a day!!! Definitely something that i (and I'm sure all of the Circus) looks forward too. Always nice to see so many people with the same interest and same sprit and laughter. It was non stop. Smiles all day and great conversations.

As you can imagine for one guy to put this on is a huge undertaking especially stressful but kept it organized and was always thoughtful and kind hearted. We know you put a ton of effort into this. I believe everyone sincerely appreciates it. Cheers to you Keith thank you for bringing the masses together.

A huge thanks to NFS JimmyRig and Company. Can you believe it, a donated finished bob house! Their build quality is second to none from these guys and i can tell you that the folks that won it will put it to great use. Mimi (Psycho's mom) won it then gave it to her grandson Mason. Mason is the next generation and loves to ice fish. He's been ice fishing ever since i can remember. Been fun watching him and his brother grow up and get educated on the ice. He is 16yrs old now and is hardcore. I can also tell you that it will be well taken care of not only by Mason but his family and by the rest of the circus too. Thank you Jason, it went to a great family.

Not to forget Troutfreak, dude you are a chief for real. (Really, he's graduate of culinary arts). I don't know how you cooked all that food but i did enjoy eating it. Great job as always man.

Last but not least to all the folks with great attitudes that came to this event. I was impressed by how everyone seemed to just relax, take it all in, meet up or greet up and showed patience while others pitched in to help out where they could, etc...very homegrown.
Funny, some folks i only see once a year (at this event, early ice fishing, AVFD derby etc...) and its something that i think about, talk about during the off season and look forward to each year. Always fun getting together with familiar faces and making new acquaintances. Sounds like the Newfound Circus might also be growing in numbers in years to come.

Thanks too to those that donated items for raffle, simply amazing. That's what makes this event so powerful, folks getting together to share a common interest Ice Fishing and having fun. You gotta do something in the winter to keep you sane living in New England. Im glad i was introduced to ice fishing.

Cheers.

Thanks for the raffle update Jiggin!
I had bought tickets from NHTF  earlier and was laid up since last Thursday (Surgery)
Couldn't help dreaming about winning that NFS house (like everyone else, I'm sure) and having the dilemma of owning 2 for next year. Congratulations to the winners and to everyone involved in making this event happen.
Good to hear you're back out there finishing up the broken season! Good luck!
Now dreaming of open water fishing when my foot heals!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thank you Keith for putting together a quality event...I look foreword to it each year.. Jiggin.. thanks for plowing the lot and giving us a place to park... Great to see everyone and put names to a few faces...Jason.. that Bob house was "off the hook"... I know I had a good time when I go home with a horse voice... Denny.. we definitely need to hook up next winter.. you'll be in small mouth heaven over there..... Saturday marked  the end of my season.. I know I could still fish a few more weeks but the spring time chores are adding up... the Boss lady handed me a list at breakfast yesterday ;D .. Anyone that fishes the sweetwater and wants to take in a NIGHT of Striper fishing on the coast... send  me a PM and I'll see what I can do... I fish Sunday nights through Thursday night... no ( almost never) Friday or Saturdays..

I hope everyone has a great summer.. and good luck to those that continue to "walk on water"... see you all again (on line anyway) once the Winds of November replace the "summer wind"

be safe all
     Roc

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
2017 Ice Shanty Get Together was a huge success! Makes me proud to be a part of TEAM NH.....What a great day to just hang out with others who enjoy the same passion in this great state of NH. A huge thank you goes out to Keith, you've done an amazing job at putting these things together and bringing old and new friends a little closer. I love putting a face to the names. The name tags were a great touch Denny, thanks. Its great to chat with other hardwater anglers about the season they've had. Also, thanks to Jiggin and the Circus for hosting the event once again, its such a beautiful place. Its great to have the whole launch to ourselves for all the shennanigans too.
Showed up at dawn and I was happy to get some fishing in also. Great to get to hang and fish with Roccus and some others. Bonus was a beautiful 19.5" Newfound Rainbow. Cant wait until next year.
Still got another week and a half on the hardwata, I hate to see it go....
-Jason

- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Beauty!

Offline Riverat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Our Winter Home on the Lake.

Cath friday 1:30 pm portsmouth, will be stent #10 at least. Maybe change my handle to "Stentman"! devourer of meats and fatty foods!

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Glad to see you posting... good luck Friday... hope you are back catching (and eating!) fish soon....

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Cath friday 1:30 pm portsmouth, will be stent #10 at least. Maybe change my handle to "Stentman"! devourer of meats and fatty foods!

Lmao! Your sense of humor hasn't been slighted at least. I wish you the best
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.