New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Sad to see it ending  (Read 4849 times)

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Sad to see it ending
« Reply #30 on: Feb 28, 2017, 07:02 AM »
The average air temperature on Earth has risen almost 2 degrees F since 1880. That is a scientific trend, and it is real data from NASA. Which, to me means more than a paragraph of 50/50 nonsense. We will still have cold days in the winter, and good ice. But on AVERAGE the temperatures are getting warmer.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 28, 2017, 07:18 AM »
The average air temperature on Earth has risen almost 2 degrees F since 1880. That is a scientific trend, and it is real data from NASA. Which, to me means more than a paragraph of 50/50 nonsense. We will still have cold days in the winter, and good ice. But on AVERAGE the temperatures are getting warmer.

Real data or the data that was proven to be faked in order to get grant money?
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 28, 2017, 07:32 AM »
I got out a bit but not as much as normally do. Im ready for snowgoose and canada goose hunting.

Offline seadog8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 28, 2017, 08:04 AM »
Very well said.  You couldn't have explained in more simpler terms.  The average temperature of the earth is going up every year.  Here in Dutchess county , we no longer have a good ice fishing season.   I don't understand how anyone could deny global warming.  It is happening , whether you want to believe it is man made or not.
Personally , I believe it is man made . 
One interesting article I read was that in times of global warming where the rise is very slow ( 10's of thousands of years ) , the animals can adapt.  What is happening now
is the planet is warming too fast.  And I believe it will snowball faster than the scientists think.
Time will tell on what the outcome is , but I don't believe it will be good for the humans on this planet.

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Feb 28, 2017, 08:25 AM »
Real data or the data that was proven to be faked in order to get grant money?

Oh jeez.. hop off the Trump train and take a look around. It is beyond me how people are so quick to disregard scientific evidence, but when our wise and noble president tells us something it's all "yup! Those darn Chinese and the fake news media! Sad!"

It's like Uranium.. and other things, like lots of things, including some bad things.  ::)

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #35 on: Feb 28, 2017, 08:28 AM »
Oh jeez.. hop off the Trump train and take a look around. It is beyond me how people are so quick to disregard scientific evidence, but when our wise and noble president tells us something it's all "yup! Those darn Chinese and the fake news media! Sad!"

It's like Uranium.. and other things, like lots of things, including some bad things.  ::)

whats sad is that the scientific process has been taken off the table and replaced with a politicized agree or die mentality.   Climate change is not like the theory of evolution in its certainty, it cannot be broken down into certain terms.     The fact that dissenting opinions are "not allowed" in climate science is total rubbish, and goes against everything science and the scientific method stands for.    Money is polluting pure science here, and the fact that some folks refuse to acknowledge it is disgusting.    Just like everything else in science, we should embrace different ideas and theories and test them out, if only to prove how right the current accepted theory is.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 28, 2017, 08:50 AM »

I'm not on the Trump train by any means - i think politics suck  ;D. But it is a proven fact that there were forged results which bothers me.

I'm quick to admit i don't know enough about it to make an informed decision  ....  one way or the other  ;)

Lots of people are not aware of this but before he invented the internet Al Gore was deathly worried about Global Cooling  ::)   ......  so it has flipped 180 degrees in 20 or 30 years?   

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 28, 2017, 11:50 AM »
What happened to the comments to the  original topic? "Sad to See It Ending" .   For me it is maple sap time and turkey scouting now.   I had a very nice ice season even though it was short.  I fished mainly 3 lakes in WNY and put  away in the freezer enough fish to hold me over until I get on the big water for slob perch and walleye later this year.  Ya, all have a nice summer and see ya here next ice season, Hope it starts early and ends late.

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Feb 28, 2017, 11:57 AM »
Umm. Are people really debating climate change? We know it's real. Anything else is misinformation.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Feb 28, 2017, 12:00 PM »
Umm. Are people really debating climate change? We know it's real. Anything else is misinformation.

of course climate change is real, look at the earths average temperature over the millennia, luckily for the whole of humanity, we are currently in one of those little tiny peaks.

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 28, 2017, 01:59 PM »
of course climate change is real, look at the earths average temperature over the millennia, luckily for the whole of humanity, we are currently in one of those little tiny peaks.
(Image removed from quote.)
The problem is that chart isn't accurate, it shows the correlation of temp to co2 but we are now over 400ppm.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Feb 28, 2017, 02:06 PM »
ahh yes, I was waiting for you to mention c02. You do realize you are talking about 0.01% change in the composition of the atmosphere, right?  For example, say you had a bucket with 10k m&ms and you add one.   Same as adding a literal drop of water into 2 gallons of water.  Thats the significance you are talking about.   And that 400ppm number, there is nothing to go along with that.   Its just an arbitrary number that a certain group of scientists picked.

the fact of the matter is that we don't know how big of a role c02 plays, versus something like geography and deep ocean currents - for example:
The formation of the Isthmus had major consequences on global temperatures, since warm equatorial ocean currents were cut off and an Atlantic cooling cycle began, with cold Arctic and Antarctic waters dropping temperatures in the now-isolated Atlantic Ocean.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pliocene

Offline FrozenJig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 28, 2017, 02:23 PM »
I think I saw this part in Good Will Hunting.

Can't remember if this is when Matt Damon was writing down some mathematical formula on the chalkboard in the hallway or when he was talking to that guy with the ponytail in the bar about inherited wealth though.

Good talk fellas  :cookoo:
Look for the beer flag, that's where i'm at

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 28, 2017, 02:26 PM »
Well then what was the purpose of the graph you posted if not to show how temperature and co2 levels have consistently risen and fallen together.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #44 on: Feb 28, 2017, 02:29 PM »
Well then what was the purpose of the graph you posted if not to show how temperature and co2 levels have consistently risen and fallen together.

to show that our climate has changed dramatically over time, and that we are lucky to be in one of the warm peaks.   They were sure about global cooling in the 70's, now they are sure about global warming in the 2010's, kinda like when they were sure about bloodletting in the 1700's and were sure about the health benefits of electricity in the 1800's.    Again, to say we know everything as fact and ignore dissenting opinions is garbage. 

And I think this goes without saying:
We need to curb our use of fossil fuels.   Its obvious
We need to reduce our garbage production.  Its obvious
We need to stop pollution.  Its obvious

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 28, 2017, 02:50 PM »
to show that our climate has changed dramatically over time, and that we are lucky to be in one of the warm peaks.   They were sure about global cooling in the 70's, now they are sure about global warming in the 2010's, kinda like when they were sure about bloodletting in the 1700's and were sure about the health benefits of electricity in the 1800's.    Again, to say we know everything as fact and ignore dissenting opinions is garbage. 

And I think this goes without saying:
We need to curb our use of fossil fuels.   Its obvious
We need to reduce our garbage production.  Its obvious
We need to stop pollution.  Its obvious
I agree it doesn't get us anywhere when opinions are just shot down without giving them any merit. I also think it is damaging when people hold on, so tight to their opinions that they ignore facts. If people could disagree on what's causing the warming and agree on the last part of your post I would be alright with that.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #46 on: Feb 28, 2017, 03:24 PM »
If people could disagree on what's causing the warming and agree on the last part of your post I would be alright with that.

Now therein lies the rub.  Are we currently warming?   Absolutely.  Raccoon, Turkeys, Opossums, Ticks have all moved their territories north within my lifetime.   Is this warming a trend of continued warming?   Will we reach a certain tipping point and begin cooling again?

I would be willing to bet that everyone that doesn't have money to gain from pollution wants to end it.  There is big money on both sides of this coin and that is controlling the narrative.

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 28, 2017, 04:05 PM »
I would be willing to bet that everyone that doesn't have money to gain from pollution wants to end it.  There is big money on both sides of this coin and that is controlling the narrative.
If that is true that most people want pollution to end then what do the climate deniers want out of this. I understand oil and gas wanting to try and discredit global warming it is a trillion dollar industry that doesn't want things to change. But what going forward does the average citizen that doesn't believe in climate change want. Is it for nothing to change because everything is just fine, or do they want to lower our use of fossil fuels without agreeing that we need to do it for the reason of global warming.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #48 on: Mar 01, 2017, 08:38 AM »
If that is true that most people want pollution to end then what do the climate deniers want out of this. I understand oil and gas wanting to try and discredit global warming it is a trillion dollar industry that doesn't want things to change. But what going forward does the average citizen that doesn't believe in climate change want. Is it for nothing to change because everything is just fine, or do they want to lower our use of fossil fuels without agreeing that we need to do it for the reason of global warming.

this, this exactly.  I think a lot of folks are against the notion of global warming for political reasons.   Myself, I don't like the way that certain scientists are pushing the "join or die" narrative.   I hate the fact that because of global warming and climate change we need to do X, Y, and Z.    Thats crap, we need to do those things because they are the RIGHT thing to do for us, and for our future generations.  The fact that they are pushing reasons that some rightwing thinktank can easily conjure up arguements against does nothing but disenfranchise your average citizen to helping fix our earth.   Rachel Carson was a visionary, but had she come along today, I wonder if Silent Spring would even be able to break through the political discord we are seeing.

When I was in college, we talked very little of the notion of global warming or cooling, just of climate change.  This was the early 2000's and my professor had spent the 70's with all his climate scientist friends screaming about global cooling and the coming of the next ice age.    They were sure of it.   It was undeniable science to them. Along comes Al Gore screaming about global warming, we all saw the hockey stick chart, and we were all told things like ice fishing and snowmobiling in the northeast would be a thing of the past by 2010.  Turns out that hockey stick chart was a complete lie, not even based in fact.   It was like history repeating itself.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Mar 01, 2017, 08:51 AM »
 I agree that we have to stop pollution and excessive waste no matter what.We don't have the power to change what will occur in nature, but in the mean time to keep everything as healthy as possible is important. We may still have ice fishing and snow, but winters are not what they were.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #50 on: Mar 01, 2017, 08:57 AM »
I agree that we have to stop pollution and excessive waste no matter what.We don't have the power to change what will occur in nature, but in the mean time to keep everything as healthy as possible is important. We may still have ice fishing and snow, but winters are not what they were.

Completely agree.   I mean what the heck was going on with our Februarys in the 1800's?

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Mar 01, 2017, 09:16 AM »
Yes, need to make changes to avoid the average temp in February being above freezing

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Mar 01, 2017, 09:41 AM »
Completely agree.   I mean what the heck was going on with our Februarys in the 1800's?

(Image removed from quote.)

That is crazy right there

4 of the warmest ever were in a 14 year stretch back then.

Offline freddiethej

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Mar 01, 2017, 03:29 PM »
March 1, no ice on Glass Lake. Unpresidented.

Offline hunt4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Mar 01, 2017, 05:27 PM »
Kiss your ice goodbye!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.