New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Sandy pond  (Read 52898 times)

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Sandy pond
« Reply #300 on: Feb 08, 2018, 01:47 PM »
7 times... ON ACCIDENT!!!  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :woot:

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #301 on: Feb 08, 2018, 01:56 PM »
Yo Bruce,

Yup, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. ::) ::) ::) Did I say stepped on or stomped on?
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #302 on: Feb 09, 2018, 01:42 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

I was hoping to see some of my PA buds this week end. I guess they all have ice down there in the Quaker State this winter eh? 

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline Clint S

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #303 on: Feb 09, 2018, 03:52 PM »

What did I catch here at the pond today,  the pic does not do it justice it was bright silver and about 14 inches. At first I thought white perch but the tail, color and shape is wrong

Offline Clint S

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #304 on: Feb 09, 2018, 04:01 PM »
Went out of wig wam the drag was heart attack waiting to happen. A foot of snow with 2 inches a water under it.  Fishing was slow at best

Offline Soggyice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #305 on: Feb 09, 2018, 04:16 PM »
Looks like a Cisco.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #306 on: Feb 09, 2018, 04:21 PM »
Yo Clint,

I agree, looks like a cisco to me.

Boggey

Offline Clint S

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #307 on: Feb 09, 2018, 04:32 PM »
Never caught one. Are they any good eating or even legal yo kerp. I let it go not knowing what it was.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #308 on: Feb 09, 2018, 05:13 PM »
Never caught one. Are they any good eating or even legal yo kerp. I let it go not knowing what it was.

Yo Clint,

They are called a fresh water herring and directly related to that species. They are similarly boney. I caught many of them last year in deeper waters off of Cherry Island and elected to bring 2 of them home and tried to smoke them. I over smoked them, actually baked them in my smoker so I can't tell you how tasty they were. I can confirm they were boney. .

There is an interesting discussion on the Cisco population in Lake Ontario waters. led by 2 of our Iceshanty contributors,  commandercisco and Lucky 13, two gentlemen specifically knowledgeable about this species on page 5 of the Sodus Bay topics thread. Very interesting and edifying.

Boggey 

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #309 on: Feb 10, 2018, 03:15 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

I hope to see some of my friends out there today. Starting with breakfast at the Sportsman's Club and ending with me taking home the 1st prize for biggest perch of the day :bow: :bow:. Hey ! A guy can dream eh?

On a serious note. The Sandy Creek Fire Department puts a lot of work in this Tournament as well as the members of the Sandy Pond Sportsman's Association. Let's show some support for the great guys and gals who put this Tournament on. Don't forget to buy a raffle ticket too. Some really great door prizes this year..

My son and I are double registered in both of the tournaments this week end. Looking forward to seeing a lot of old friends today. You got to know i will be singing a song or two. Let's have some fun and be safe out there.

Boggey

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #310 on: Feb 10, 2018, 04:47 PM »
What a great day as I got to meet up with some buddies of mine today and kraken beat me out of Third place for Sandy Creek Fire derby.Beware of Stanley Drive as it is terrible with slush and water , absolutely no wheelers as there is deep snow and slush.As always it was a pleasure running into Boggey and Stu what we need now is warm weather and then a deep freeze to tighten up the access at Stanley.the bite was slow today but did manage some nice perch to donate to Eddies Cove.

Offline Birdslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep moving
« Reply #311 on: Feb 10, 2018, 06:39 PM »
So overall how was the derby? I didn't get out but I did go down to the Wigwam to see how many people were out (or to see if anyone was fishing my favorite spot.... and they weren't!!!!). Looked like a lot of people clustered right straight out from the Wigwam and a lot of people out in front of Stanley. Any problems with garbage? Whenever there is a derby I always get a little worried that people won't respect our home waters. For the most part ice fishermen are great people but there are always a few that are subpar. Hope everyone had a good time and I'll be out in the am.
Find the bite, Fish the bite, repeat

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #312 on: Feb 11, 2018, 04:03 AM »
Yo Jigger,

Yup, it was a rough day on the Pond. The over 1 foot of snow covering 3 to 4 inches of slush quickly turned the entire fishing area into a
slushy quagmire. After cutting your first hole the entire area around your hole became deluged with 3 to 4 inches of water on top of the ice. It paid to have a good pair of Mucks yesterday. I was fortunate to have my youngest son Matt as a fishing partner today.  Fortunate and grateful as he cut most of the holes, chased the tip downs and did I mention, dragged the Shappell tub out and back from the Wig-Wam. Now I'm not going to say old Boggey wouldn't have been able to do all that by himself, but I might have been a little late getting back to the weigh-ins. Horrible drag, but not as bad as some of the guys who were bogged down out in the middle of the pond on their 4 wheelers. Don't know how they got back in. Like Jigger said, with today's warmer weather and projected rain, it could be worse than yesterday so my fellow fishermen and fisherwomen , take heed.

I was delighted to fish next to my (friend of long standing) Tommy Boy. As Tommy Boy is not old , I felt it not appropriate to call him an (Old Friend). Tommy brought his wife and father-in-law to the tournament. Although Tommy Boy's father-in-law is an absolute rooky to ice fishing, he quickly caught on and out fished us all. Congratulations Tommy, I think we have a new convert eh?

Back to the Derbies, The Sandy Creek Fire Department did a phenomenal job on there one day tournament, the high lite again was the youth participation in the Derby. These kids are the future of our sport and I am glad to announce the state of our sport is alive and well. It was awesome to watch these young kids  pridefully walking up to the awards table to receive there trophies and recognition and to have their pictures taken. Even more telling was to watch the eyes and expressions of the parents who brought them. A proud moment for all who experienced it.

Further, I got to see some of my old friends from years past and I met a lot of new ones. I sat with Jigger and Mrs. Jigger at both Derby headquarters. I can see why Jigger is always such a positive and jovial guy. He, just as I, has married well. We are blessed men eh Jigger?
 I was even lucky enough to win one of the raffle brown bag prizes, a nice little booty which more than paid for my son's registration and my own in prizes. There were more winners than, catching the 3 biggest fish in each class, or winning one of the big ticket items, or even winning one of the brown bag raffles. Getting together with and fishing with your friends and family members is part of what makes our sport so contagious, therefor we are all winners. Kudo's SCFD and SPSA, Great derby, great awards and rewards for all.

As I mentioned the SPFD derby was a blazing  success (please forgive the pun). A follow up trip over to Eddie's Cove Restaurant where a joyous crowd was gathered to celebrate the first days prize seekers. A good time was had by all. As did Jigger and many other local fishermen, I contributed a big bag of perch fillets for tonight's feast after the final weigh-ins. Louise said they had great numbers this year and I again look forward to seeing some of my old friends and making new ones at Eddies Cove restaurant this evening. Bring a good appetite.

Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #313 on: Feb 11, 2018, 05:45 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Changing my game plan  today. Pail setter. I may be on a hole next to you especially if I hear a "YAHOO". so better keep it on the down low eh? ;D ;D ;D

Boggey

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #314 on: Feb 11, 2018, 06:00 AM »
About time I knocked you out of the $. Seems to me you knocked me out twice!!! Tough fishing but a great day. My personal best perch on the Pond. Always a pleasure to see you bud. The launch area at Stanley is a mess. Congrats to all.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline Stelladog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #315 on: Feb 11, 2018, 06:41 AM »
Any results on perch winners for the fire dept tourney?

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #316 on: Feb 11, 2018, 05:48 PM »
Yep Kraken took 3rd place glad to see him finally get me , I went out again today and managed to get another walleye and some good perch.Boggey you4 right ,that’s why I’m happy all the time I love my best friend when she heals up by next year she will be out there with me.I went out by the Sportsman’s club and it was great no slush and easy going,remember Sportsmans club derby is next weekend good luck and be safe.

Offline Eskimo89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #317 on: Feb 11, 2018, 07:35 PM »
Sandy pond state boat launch would recommend snowmobile to get out plenty of sbow n slush on the pond

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #318 on: Feb 12, 2018, 01:02 AM »
Yo Kracken,

Congratz my friend. I'm sorry I missed you at the Sportsman's club. I sat with Jigger and his wife and he said you just left and I went home to pick up my wife to bring her to Eddie's Cove and again i was too late. Still, I had a great day on the ice Sunday. I again accessed from Wig-Wam. The ramp is still snow covered and no problems with access. I kept 30 nice perch. The pail sitter scenario was a little bit better than dragging all the equipment out and back, but 30 nice perch did make my pail a little heavier on the way back in. My right arm was 2 inches longer than the left arm by the time I got back in  ;D ;D.  While I had some nice perch, I couldn't crack the 11 inch mark all day. No pike hits. The rain they predicted never came, just a slight mist and some fog. It actually was a great day to be on the ice, minus the slush trudge. I saw a lot of sleds today and a few wheelers were still making there way out there with a few turning back when they hit the slush fields.  I didn't measure the ice but I will  tell you it took 35 cranks on my brand new nils to cut through it .

As Jigger said, wind her all up and let's go for it again next week end at Sportsman's Club 42nd annual Derby. Those guys and gals sure know how to do a fishing tournament. We should have another great day out on the ice next week. Yo Stelladog, I think the SCFD has a facebook account for the winners and pictures of the event. Not sure as I am not a big fan of facebook . 

Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #319 on: Feb 12, 2018, 06:08 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Just a quick note here. Check your 10 day weather forecast for the coming week if you are making plans to hit the ice. Today and tomorrow look to be outstanding, after that the weatherman says we are not only turning warm, but the warmth will be coupled with some rain on Thursday and Friday. The warm weather will extend on into the week end. While we have been blessed with some great ice so far this season, the advent of warmer conditions and the oncoming spring like conditions will warrant a good look see before entering your favorite honey hole in your next week's traveling plans. Some accesses will be better than others, obviously.

Remember, those creek flow areas are always the first to go.  The gas holes which seemingly disappear with all the snow cover are still there and will be more visible in the coming week . The thinner ice will go first so don't forget to bring your spuds with you that you left home for the last 2 weeks. This is the time of winter we all have to be aware.  Let's all stay safe and use good judgement. I want all my friends to be there next year so I can kibitz with them. In closing, I will again use the old admonition  ..... SPUD SPUD SPUD

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #320 on: Feb 12, 2018, 06:28 AM »
big guy found a big gas hole yesterday right on the side of the trail on otisco .... becareful  and I always carry my spud

Offline TommyBoy1971

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Former usmc, former us army airborne, current DOD
« Reply #321 on: Feb 12, 2018, 09:17 AM »
lower back and calves still sore from Saturday's stroll on the pond.  caught enough for a good meal, plus New old Guy gave me about 30 6 inchers to clean, said they are more tender....anway I guess I am off the hook for this FEB deployment, looking at JUNE now so I shoul be able to do plenty of ice fishing!.  oh yeah, talked to a guy Saturday on the pond that had just came from Chaumont, said he fell through the ice, be careful out there kids!
You can get a good look at a steak by sticking your head up a bull's a$$, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it??

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #322 on: Feb 12, 2018, 09:21 AM »
Yo TommyBoy,

You baaaad :nono: :nono:

Offline Birdslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep moving
« Reply #323 on: Feb 13, 2018, 10:06 AM »
The pond is a sloppy mess! Last night's low temp didn't do anything to help... not looking good for the fishing tournament Saturday
Find the bite, Fish the bite, repeat

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #324 on: Feb 13, 2018, 11:27 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Just a quick note here. Check your 10 day weather forecast for the coming week if you are making plans to hit the ice. Today and tomorrow look to be outstanding, after that the weatherman says we are not only turning warm, but the warmth will be coupled with some rain on Thursday and Friday. The warm weather will extend on into the week end. While we have been blessed with some great ice so far this season, the advent of warmer conditions and the oncoming spring like conditions will warrant a good look see before entering your favorite honey hole in your next week's traveling plans. Some accesses will be better than others, obviously.

Remember, those creek flow areas are always the first to go.  The gas holes which seemingly disappear with all the snow cover are still there and will be more visible in the coming week . The thinner ice will go first so don't forget to bring your spuds with you that you left home for the last 2 weeks. This is the time of winter we all have to be aware.  Let's all stay safe and use good judgement. I want all my friends to be there next year so I can kibitz with them. In closing, I will again use the old admonition  ..... SPUD SPUD SPUD
  NOG,  I hope you don't mind, this is so well written, I've been copying it into other threads and giving you the credit.  Thanks for the sage advice!

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #325 on: Feb 14, 2018, 04:28 PM »
Yo guys & Gals,

I hope you all have a Happy Valentines day. I took the day off from ice fishing to spend with my Sweeta-Rita. Since I couldn't talk her into spending the day out on the  ice, we did the next best thing, dinner at Longhorn's, with desert . After 46 years of Valentines day with the same woman, I sorta  kinda think she is a keeper and the best thing that ever came into my life. After 5 children, 11 grand kids (with #12 on the way) and 2 great grand kids (with another on the way), I thank the Lord for trusting this kind woman into my life, our lives. She is the mainstay of our family, the rock, the ying to my yang, the flourishing well from which all good things have sprung fourth in our family.  So on this day I celebrate this kind and wonderful woman and hope she will continue to be My Valentine

Boggey

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #326 on: Feb 14, 2018, 05:53 PM »
Very well said Buddy you sure have a way with words as with you I also have a keeper we will celebrate 30 years of marriage in September,and have been together for 33 years.

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #327 on: Feb 14, 2018, 07:07 PM »
Yo guys & Gals,

I hope you all have a Happy Valentines day. I took the day off from ice fishing to spend with my Sweeta-Rita. Since I couldn't talk her into spending the day out on the  ice, we did the next best thing, dinner at Longhorn's, with desert . After 46 years of Valentines day with the same woman, I sorta  kinda think she is a keeper and the best thing that ever came into my life. After 5 children, 11 grand kids (with #12 on the way) and 2 great grand kids (with another on the way), I thank the Lord for trusting this kind woman into my life, our lives. She is the mainstay of our family, the rock, the ying to my yang, the flourishing well from which all good things have sprung fourth in our family.  So on this day I celebrate this kind and wonderful woman and hope she will continue to be My Valentine

Boggey, I hope you let your wife read that post, it would probably be the nicest Valentine any woman could ask for!   Luck you and Lucky Her!

Offline Timbco24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #328 on: Feb 14, 2018, 07:51 PM »
Yo guys & Gals,

Boggey

As I'm trying to learn all I can about ice fishing, I've been inspired by many posts I've read since becoming a member of IceShanty...but no post has been as inspirational as this one. While it's easy to develop the mindset that fishing is life, the reality is, it isn't...what you described is "truly living". Thanks for your inspiring words and for the example you are to those of us who are younger than you and who are trying to do it right. Blessings to you and your wonderful wife! May you celebrate many more Valentine's Days together!
Get out of the boat and walk on water

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #329 on: Feb 15, 2018, 06:53 AM »
There ya go again Boggey.Most guys wont spill out their feelings like that. Your both lucky to have each other. My wife is a saint. Love her with all my heart. As quirky as I am (so is Jigger) to have woman who love us is truly a blessing.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.