Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Expensive, but worth every penny. Your thoughts?  (Read 4725 times)

Offline Joe Wayne

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Expensive, but worth every penny. Your thoughts?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 03, 2017, 09:49 AM »
Can't fish without a depth finder anymore. When I first started ice fishing, we used the old clip on depth finder and just set up off the bottom, had no idea when fish were even present. I really enjoy getting a hot school in and seeing them come up off the bottom after the bait. My wife used to complain when I told her we needed more equipment, but after borrowing my depth finder a few years ago, I found myself without one again, so naturally, I had to go buy a new one for myself. I use a Lowrance Elite 5 with GPS. Love it, set it for flasher on the left and graph on the right, used the GPS to find and mark locations. Very good, inexpensive unit that does make fishing so much nicer.

Ha! It's funny to read this because it's exactly what's happened to me. My fiance won't come out unless she gets the flasher. So naturally, she can't complain about the cost of it.
Joe Wayne | Ankeny, IA

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 03, 2017, 09:52 AM »
absolutely boots!
work up from there!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Crippler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 03, 2017, 10:48 AM »
I have a Vex I bought 20 years ago that has seen a lot of fish iced.  And I have a cheap fiberglass "buggy whip" rod I got 40 years ago that I've got tens of thousands of fish with.  Doesn't have to be expensive to put fish on the ice....

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 05, 2017, 02:52 AM »
No it doesn't but if people are using gear they don't want to use, they aren't going to have as good of a time as they could while using gear they enjoy. Believe me, if I could get the same gear at half the price I would...But that's not happening.

For starting any hobby, get the best gear you can afford whether that be a $6 dollar rod or a $150 reel. The fish certainly don't care much as long as you do your job.

I do have to say though, when using "cheap" gear you usually do come out with a better technique than if starting with "expensive" stuff. You have to learn how to use your tools first instead of letting the tools do the work for you, you won't learn much that way. Once you learn what is possible, then get gear that makes it easier for you too operate whatever hobby you're involved in (which is usually pricey). If it's even necessary. Kind of a "don't fix what isn't broken" thing.

“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.