Author Topic: Tungsten jigs  (Read 3077 times)

RyanW

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tungsten jigs
« Reply #20 on: Dec 29, 2016, 06:04 PM »
I actually don't think I've come across any barbless tungsten jigs. The thing with tungsten is that the bodies need to be soldered on to the hook, not poured (liquid tungsten is very very hot), and when done incorrectly that process can sevearly damage the integrity of the hook. So it inevitably breaks.

Quality brands that I have used are Fiskas and Skandia's. VMC's are nice too. A quality, mass produced (not these limited run guys you see on here and Facebook), tungsten jig should run you between $2.50 - $3.50 depending on jig size.

I have over 30 Fiskas jigs (at least 10 each in 3mm, 4mm, and 5mm) in an aluminum Perrine clip style fly box (on side is 30 metal clips, the other side is a sheet magnet) and I have had zero hooks break taking hooks in/out of that. Those clips would break before the hooks.

Bottom line (and no offense)...buy better tungsten jigs. Cheap tungsten jigs are just that...Cheap. Or just don't bother with em', people have been doing just fine without them for thousands of years. However, a 4mm tungsten jig on a well crafted custom noodle rod (no spring bobber) is a very good time fishing that can help someone appreciate high-end gear a little more. Although none of it is necessary to catch fish, I appreciate high-end, high-quality gear. It makes fishing, for me, a much more smoother and enjoyable operation.

Same reason people buy $60+ tipups. Not my cup of tea but it helps make fishing more smoother and enjoyable for them.

Just saying tungsten isn't hype. It's just a different way to fish and, with most anything else, has a learning curve.

Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2016, 12:04 PM »
I'm curious, what's to learn about jigging a tungsten jig opposed to a lead jig? 

RyanW

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2016, 02:22 PM »
The biggest difference is profile to weight ratio. Getting use to something the size of a BB weighing close to the same as something that should be the size of a pea. You can fish a tungsten jig like a lead jig no problem but you can't fish a lead jig like a tungsten unless it's oversized. Tungsten jigs are a tool to help with certain situations, they weren't meant to be used exclusively although lots of guys do, myself included. Getting down quicker is a big one. A smaller, heavier profile is another.

Once you realize that tunsten jigs produce a profile of at least half the size of lead while maintaining roughly the same weight, you'll understand the more subtle differences. For me, it's easier to maintain a jigging cadence with tungsten because I can downsize my presentation while keeping the weight similar so I can control the cadence without using a bulky jig.  Tungsten jigs are shaped differently and move differently in the water, enough for me to notice a difference in presentation. Tied with a loop knot, they can really "buck and kick" when you need them too, better than what I can do with a standard lead jig. That also equates to having to do less work in jigging tungsten. Since it's heavier and smaller, any subtle movement translates to the jig moving with better response. Ever notice how someone can really pound that rod tip and the jig is basically vibrating? A heavier, smaller profile jig helps keep all of that in balance. A lighter jig won't have that kind of response, unless it's bigger. You start the cadence and by the time you stop jigging, you're basically jigging more of the line than the jig, in my experience. I can precisely control tungsten better than I can lead and If you don't go into it expecting a difference, you won't see any.

Also, I think a lot of lure selection has to do with confidence. A guy that's been fishing lead for 35 years is probably going to look at tungsten as a gimmick therefore not having much confidence in the jig. And when he doesn't catch his usually rate, he chalks it up to crappy overpriced tungsten jigs. If that same fisherman limited out in an hour, he'd chalk it up to awesome new-aged tungsten jigs. Confidence.

Not sure if I aswered your question but that's my take on tungsten jigs. Like I said earlier, they work great under a float in the warmer months too. Same principles apply.

Also, like previously mentioned, they really help guys out on lead-free waters.

Kind of like the difference between a pistol and a slingshot. Sometimes you need a faster, smaller, heavier projectile (tungsten) and sometimes you need a larger, slower, lighter projectile (lead). The same could be said about lead/tungsten jigs, figuratively. But there is a difference in operation that should be acknowledged before expecting the pistol (tungsten) to shoot like a slingshot (lead). You can use the pistol like a slingshot but you can't use a slingshot like a pistol.

Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Dec 31, 2016, 08:21 AM »
Thanks for explaining that, I never really thought about it before and figured they're both jigs and the tungsten is just heavier and smaller.  I'm always looking for an advantage and go about things with an open mind.  So far I only have two tungsten jigs, the red metallic size 12 Northland  Mooska Jig, and the only reason I bought them is because I wanted a jig in that specific color.  It's going to be fun trying them out and seeing how well they do. Thanks again for the explanation, it helped a lot.  One other question for you, have you noticed if the tungsten jigs glow better than lead jigs in the same make and model jig? 

VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 26, 2017, 08:46 PM »
I got a crazy deal on 3, 4 and 5mm Fiskas on eBay. I paid less than $1 each for almost 40 jigs. Very impressed with these. They dont seem like theyll have paint chipping. I think there is an epoxy coating on them for strength. I dont think ill ever be buying the cheap painted versions...even if I have to pay 3x the price per jig.

RyanW

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 27, 2017, 08:21 AM »
That is an awesome deal! All of Fiskas jigs are quality and I've been recommending them for a long time.

VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 28, 2017, 06:30 PM »
That is an awesome deal! All of Fiskas jigs are quality and I've been recommending them for a long time.

A 3mm with the diamond on one end pulling out 2 buckets worth of gills and sunnies today and it still looks brand new!

1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 28, 2017, 07:44 PM »
They are real good jigs

Mrowinsky

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice fishing is a social event. Meet!!
« Reply #28 on: Mar 10, 2017, 02:01 PM »
Just to help with some understanding....

A 3mm ball of lead and a 3mm ball of tungsten will have the same volume/size.  However, because tungsten is more dense (19.25 g/mL) than lead (11.34g/mL) they will not be of equal weight.  The tungsten ball will weigh more than the lead ball.

I hope this helps the interesting conversation.

Mike in CT

IceholeHEN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Sep 26, 2017, 10:21 AM »
If you are going to buy one do yourself a favor, DIAMOND HEADS are the way to go. Seems like no matter what color you use with a diamond head, it catches fish. A guy on here by the name of Mummbleseed let me use one two years ago when I seen him out Moraine. I've been hooked ever since.

slamer58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #30 on: Oct 05, 2017, 06:45 PM »
The drop speed you get with a tungsten jig is a game changer.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • I'd rather be Fishing!
« Reply #31 on: Oct 09, 2017, 10:03 AM »
rather than copy and paste my thoughts i wrote them here.
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=347680.msg3702574#msg3702574

chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Oct 12, 2017, 09:55 AM »
There selling epoxy tungsten for around $3 at link be low with others going for around $6  some as low as .89 cents see link..

http://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/search/search_key:Heavy%20Metal

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.