The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake Arthur, Moraine State Park  (Read 49762 times)

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Lake Arthur, Moraine State Park
« Reply #210 on: Jan 04, 2017, 08:11 PM »
Ok I am new to fishing lake Arthur where is the best place to park/access the lake I'm planning on checking it out Sunday

It's a big lake. Here's a link to the map. Muddy Creek is a popular spot.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/groups/public/documents/document/dcnr_20030996.pdf

Offline new on the ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #211 on: Jan 04, 2017, 08:22 PM »
im planning on fishing friday nightime. Dark with light for crappie. Hopeful ice will be fine. Just stay awy from main lake near deep water. I will report what i find

Offline nicksmurf111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #212 on: Jan 04, 2017, 08:58 PM »
I stopped by mcdanials yesterday. Somebody drilld two holes off the dock. There was about 4inches of good looking ice. Nobody fishing

Seriously?  My buddy drove by and said it looked sketchy.  I didn't want to drive the 15 or so miles just to check.  Hopefully we get some more ice in the next few days.

Does O'Donnells ever have larger pike/muskie sized minnows?

thanks

They did 2 months ago.  Give them a call.

That hurts chute. Big guys don't like the " f " word. I was on 4 inches of ice with chute and yes in the lead position. He said no not t good then went to the Dead Sea of the south for 4. 5. And he liked it

I had to buy a bigger boat, my rowboat didn't work well with fat friends.  Couldn't keep the stern in the water.

Offline Dave shapell dx3000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #213 on: Jan 04, 2017, 09:08 PM »
im gonna check it at 528 tomorrow morning i will let you know

Offline nicksmurf111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #214 on: Jan 04, 2017, 09:17 PM »
Thanks.  I should go up Friday night after work.  I want to fish McDanel's.

Offline Buttonbuckslayer!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #215 on: Jan 04, 2017, 09:40 PM »
Thanks.  I should go up Friday night after work.  I want to fish McDaniel's.
The post about  McDanniels was several days ago, before the latest warm front and rain.  I wouldn't use it as any kind of reference:

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #216 on: Jan 04, 2017, 09:44 PM »
Would definitely stay off McDaniels for a stretch.  It was sketchy Monday before the rain.
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline nicksmurf111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #217 on: Jan 04, 2017, 11:27 PM »
Would definitely stay off McDaniels for a stretch.  It was sketchy Monday before the rain.

Yeah, I know he was talking about this past Saturday.  I didn't want to make the trip.  I was just referring to going up to check.  How many days of the current weather are you thinking?

Offline Tom7541

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #218 on: Jan 05, 2017, 06:32 AM »
With the cold days and nights rest of this week Sunday should be OK at least in the bays let's hope.

Offline fishfinder528

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #219 on: Jan 05, 2017, 06:53 AM »
Thanks Dave itching to get got some new stuff for Christmas and can't wait to give it a try

Offline Dave shapell dx3000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #220 on: Jan 05, 2017, 12:23 PM »
I just checked ice at the 528 bridge i went out on the old church launch i saw 1 shanty on muddy creek , and i talked to a guy fishing in front of the church i walked out stuck my hand in the whole there could have been 4 inches if you haven't been fishing in a long time or really wanted to go i was seeing 3 1/2 3 3/4 but i forgot my ruler. still a lot of open water the warm up was hard on us but i think by the weekend you could fish any where

Offline Mknott

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #221 on: Jan 05, 2017, 12:45 PM »
Anyone know how thick it is at porters cove?
: )

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #222 on: Jan 05, 2017, 01:12 PM »
should be a little less

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #223 on: Jan 05, 2017, 01:14 PM »
I just checked ice at the 528 bridge i went out on the old church launch i saw 1 shanty on muddy creek , and i talked to a guy fishing in front of the church i walked out stuck my hand in the whole there could have been 4 inches if you haven't been fishing in a long time or really wanted to go i was seeing 3 1/2 3 3/4 but i forgot my ruler. still a lot of open water the warm up was hard on us but i think by the weekend you could fish any where
thanks for the update have not been out for a few days

Offline fishfinder528

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #224 on: Jan 05, 2017, 03:33 PM »

I went by as well today and only saw one shanty in front of the church but muddy creek was completely cover didn't get out to check because I was working.

Offline likesru25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #225 on: Jan 05, 2017, 05:31 PM »
Is O'Donnells the only place around to get bait?

Offline new on the ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #226 on: Jan 05, 2017, 06:17 PM »
please watch using the words you could fish anywhere. There are areas of the lake that have much deeper water in the 20-30 feet deep. These areas are the last to freeze. No offense to you but the are a lot of idiots out there that will just run across the lake when they hear this. I am very careful and last week. I was on a steady 4-5 inches and within a few feet went to 2 inchs in a hurry. The open water you speak of will be cautious this weekend. Also most of that is near bridge. Please remember road bridges are not safe areas due to road salt keeping things a little different. Also movement from bridge peers has effect on the ice. Just saying be careful and stay alive.

Offline nicksmurf111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #227 on: Jan 05, 2017, 06:24 PM »
Is O'Donnells the only place around to get bait?

No, there are 2 or 3 places with minnows, and all the gas stations have bait fridges.  I've been to Appalachian Trails Ltd. before.

Offline Crappiehunter1981

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #228 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:02 PM »
Is anyone planning on possibly fishing tomorrow?

Offline nicksmurf111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #229 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:09 PM »
Is anyone planning on possibly fishing tomorrow?

I think I'm going to go put stuff in my vehicle and go after work just to check out McDanel's.

Offline new on the ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #230 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:14 PM »
I plan on some night fishing tomorow night

Offline Mknott

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #231 on: Jan 05, 2017, 09:03 PM »
I think I'm going out Monday. I'm dying to try my new Marcum flasher
: )

Offline ducksnbucks36

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #232 on: Jan 05, 2017, 09:51 PM »
I think I'm going to go put stuff in my vehicle and go after work just to check out McDanel's.

I'll bet you McDaniels is good at the launch and gets skinny the further you go out

Offline new on the ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #233 on: Jan 06, 2017, 07:26 AM »
I'll bet you McDaniels is good at the launch and gets skinny the further you go out
i was on mcdaniels last week before the warm up. Itcwas very unstable in places. Good aroud boat launch and to left. However staight out was less than safe near othwr side. Also heading towards dam got thin very quickly. Take spud and or drill hole often as you walk

Offline ducksnbucks36

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #234 on: Jan 06, 2017, 10:18 AM »
i was on mcdaniels last week before the warm up. Itcwas very unstable in places. Good aroud boat launch and to left. However staight out was less than safe near othwr side. Also heading towards dam got thin very quickly. Take spud and or drill hole often as you walk

And think nick this was lat week.  Before all the bad weather hit.  Now you have snow on top, and you're not even going to be able to see what might be thin.  The ice that way goes from "safe" to skinny in a matter of steps.  My own personal rule of thumb if muddy creek isn't 6+" stay away from McDaniels.  It isn't worth your life , and the seasons still early. 

Offline Tom7541

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #235 on: Jan 06, 2017, 12:46 PM »
Hopefully with this cold weather next few days ice will be good all-over going to try Sunday morning  at 528 launch area will give ice conditions then be safe

Offline YessItsHess

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #236 on: Jan 06, 2017, 12:59 PM »
Is there safe ice out there today a couple buddies who've never gone want to head out today but I don't want to go for a swim

Offline nicksmurf111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #237 on: Jan 06, 2017, 01:24 PM »
And think nick this was lat week.  Before all the bad weather hit.  Now you have snow on top, and you're not even going to be able to see what might be thin.  The ice that way goes from "safe" to skinny in a matter of steps.  My own personal rule of thumb if muddy creek isn't 6+" stay away from McDaniels.  It isn't worth your life , and the seasons still early.

So, check Muddy Creek first?  I don't go frequent enough to keep tabs.

Offline Jason120

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #238 on: Jan 06, 2017, 01:25 PM »
Is there safe ice out there today a couple buddies who've never gone want to head out today but I don't want to go for a swim
I'd bet some places are safe, best advice is to go and check it for yourself. If you're comfortable with it then go fish. If not, wait till tomorrow and I'm sure some reports will be coming in later today as I heard of a few people saying they were going today.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #239 on: Jan 06, 2017, 01:29 PM »
yeah go to muddy its a nice private place to fish and probably has the best ice right now

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.