Author Topic: Need advice on a one man shelter  (Read 5765 times)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Need advice on a one man shelter
« Reply #30 on: Nov 30, 2016, 03:16 PM »
Few words of advice. Give yourself about 3 hours to put the shelter together. If you plan on adding hyfax runners to it then put those on the bottom of the sled first. When attaching the fabric to the sled using the weather strip to keep it in place make sure that it fits how you want it before drilling in the screws. When I put my first one together it was a tad loose in the back of the shelter.

All True ... make sure your on a level surface...the Hyfax will add a little height ...may not be much but  your front hoop may set up some should you add hyfax after assembly.. after adding weather strip ...check and recheck ...binder clips can help with assembly ... as well as having a second person.

http://www.staples.com/Binder+clips/directory_Binder+clips
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #31 on: Nov 30, 2016, 05:31 PM »
Ok, jumping in here. I need a new popup, and it need to be insulated, im fishing more after hours and it gets too frosty for my Eskimo QF3. I usually fish solo, dont move after dark, and have a heater. We do some cusk fishing after dark too with a buddy. The QF3 is great during the day but as soon as the suns down, brrr. A buddy and I tried the Eskimo EVO2IT and I like the seats and setup but only half insulated isnt a selling point. No Clam products, too many returns for rips, tears, and general sloppiness. I have a Smitty so weight isnt an issue, and a jetsled. My options:

Eskimo 949I  @ $349
Shappell 200I @ $559
Option 3?

option 3. full price is 300$
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=320731.0

Offline Scupbaron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 05, 2016, 06:04 AM »
Got my fx100 late Sat afternoon and liking it ...cant wait to use it.  Thanks all for advice.  ended up putting it 90% together watching patriots.  just gotta screw down canvass,  Actually shouldnt have got it together this far, still waiting on runners, they were shipped USPS seperately .  figured if dont button it up completely wont make it a hassle putting them on, can reach in tub. 

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Dec 05, 2016, 12:41 PM »
suggestion. if you use any of the screws at all, only use a few at key points. makes removing it for the off season easier and they rust and are soft and easy to strip. also, don't over tighten them. the point will still out the other side and get ya some times. less holes in the tent too.

my last fx100 i didn't use any screws at all. works fine w/o them. i did use clothes pins to hold the tent tight while installing the rubber strip.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 05, 2016, 12:52 PM »
Is the FX100 roomier than the rover 1? I'm thinking about going a little bigger than my rover1 for next year I was thinking the 150 but it weighs 20lbs more than the 100, I'd really like to find a rover1.5 because it only weighs 8lbs more but I don't think they make them anymore

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #35 on: Dec 05, 2016, 04:28 PM »

Is the FX100 roomier than the rover 1? I'm thinking about going a little bigger than my rover1 for next year I was thinking the 150 but it weighs 20lbs more than the 100, I'd really like to find a rover1.5 because it only weighs 8lbs more but I don't think they make them anymore

They may have changed their line up

http://www.shappell.com/iceshelters/fxseriesflips.html

http://www.basspro.com/Shappell-FX150-Ice-Shelter/product/1604120913/
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Scupbaron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 05, 2016, 04:52 PM »
Never saw a rover close up but the fx100 is quite roomy ...sleds 32" wide and front flares out a bit. if dragging by hand any distancei wouldnt want to go any bigger but thats me . 

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 05, 2016, 05:12 PM »
After doing some more research it looks like the same thing as the rover1 but wider fishing area. I think my rover is at 32" and this fishes at 44" in the front. I like my rover but things get tight with two holes and a flasher. I think the extra space is what I'm looking for, plus I like the door on the front, seems like it would be easier with tip downs etc.

Offline neaton3

• IceShanty Rookie
  • They just call me Neaton
« Reply #38 on: Dec 05, 2016, 05:26 PM »
I got a FX100 last year from fish 307. I love it. I am not a huge man and it pulls ok.
room is ok and with a small buddy heater your in long  t shirt and no glove on low power.
This is at the Grafton NY derby and it was just about 5 above that morning.
Two holes and a flasher is about it. But it works for me.

Neaton
Check the ice with the biggest guy in the crew and call him "sounder"

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Dec 05, 2016, 06:27 PM »
here is a look inside my fx100 on a cold winters night.

should be able to check fishable area.
you can push your bench back into the sled and have more fishable space too. some even keep their feet inside the sled and off of the ice.

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 06, 2016, 07:00 PM »
What lengh of rod wooks the best in this hut?

Offline PaddyO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 06, 2016, 07:14 PM »

here's my new Clam Kenai Pro Thermo Stealth....  can't wait to get out there!
Clam Kenia Pro Thermo Stealth
Otter XT X-Cabin Thermo
Clam Kenia Pro
Marcum Showdown
Marcum VS485C
Labatt Blue Light

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Dec 07, 2016, 09:29 AM »
i'd say it's more about how you set your hook, but i use 19" ul and use them outside of the shack also because i got used to them and are easier to land fish being your closer to the hole. one of mine is 15" and i am on the look out for that size in ultra light and 13 fishing brand.

you want to use your wrist more than your elbow and shoulder to set hooks. that's in part why i like 13 fishing wicked rods with their extra short handles. no more "waiving to crowd" when you you miss or catch a fish outside a shelter.

Offline Scupbaron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 07, 2016, 11:39 AM »
you can fish a 28" no problem in the fx100, checked that as i put mine together ..even a bit longer ... seat slides back or if sat in tub with seat all the way back you could fish one longer then that

Offline trapster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 08, 2016, 02:18 PM »
I got a one man Genz fish trap the second year that they were made.  There are a lot of patches on it but I'm yet to see a new one that I would trade it for.  I did make one mod.  I had an Amish canvas sewer put conduit in the wind flaps on the sides of the flip down, and sew a window  with Velcro and flaps in each side.  I also put a short pair of snow skis on the bottom.
Shut up and fish.

Offline chop1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 08, 2016, 03:10 PM »
I like my clam keni fish trap but if I was going to do it again I would go 2 man thermal .
More room to fish , I like 2  rods plus flasher ,  plus heat +++.

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 08, 2016, 04:14 PM »

here's my new Clam Kenai Pro Thermo Stealth....  can't wait to get out there!

Looked at this today and the seat doesn't swivel ?

Offline chop1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 08, 2016, 05:52 PM »
No my keni came with a crapty see as well. Took my swivel seat out of my boat , bolted up perfect ;D

Offline Limbow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Dec 10, 2016, 12:46 PM »
Check out the Eskimo Wide1 Inferno

Offline PaddyO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 10, 2016, 05:00 PM »
Looked at this today and the seat doesn't swivel ?
No it doesn't - IMO I don't need it to swivel - it's small enough to easily reach everything in the hut - making brackets to mount off the sides of the seat on both sides to hold the back end of the rods - I'm not a fan of poles in a PVC holder on the front of the tub where I have to move the rod forward first before raising it up -   once installed, I'll post pictures.  If Clam was going to do anything to this model they should put the deluxe padded seat and both side windows should have removable clear windows ( I like to toss my fish out the window - plus I'm a smoker and like the ventilation when needed.)
Clam Kenia Pro Thermo Stealth
Otter XT X-Cabin Thermo
Clam Kenia Pro
Marcum Showdown
Marcum VS485C
Labatt Blue Light

Offline Scupbaron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Dec 12, 2016, 04:27 AM »
sportsmansguide,com has shelters mentioned here on sale. some shipped free ......219.99 for fx100

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.