Author Topic: Blackstrap Lake 2016-2017  (Read 58853 times)

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Blackstrap Lake 2016-2017
« Reply #180 on: Jan 22, 2017, 06:09 PM »
LOL.................I guess it's like the old T.V. show.........  RIPLEY'S BELIEVE IT OR NOT.  You younger people are going to have to google this show :)

As Jordy posted............he has seen it and believes it.  There are a couple other people on here that believe it also.  I can see were some of you skeptics might not believe it, as most fishermen lie a lot.  But fishing is like a sport ............you have your star players, and then you have players that just warm the bench.

I have posted on here what we are using for hooks and baits.  The Fishin' Hole, Cabala's, and Wholesale Sports owe me a commission for them selling out
of hauger spoons.  And I have posted on here for people to save their money buying meal worms, maggots, minnows, etc. Perch eyes are free, that's all we use.

My fishing partner (also a star player), and myself have been out about 10-12 times this year.  We are well over 1000 perch........ok, ok, that's a lie :), we are around 700,  and over 30 walleye caught.  We target perch, and could be catching a lot more walleye if we wanted, but we get all the walleye we want during the summer up North.

I can't tell you exactly were our holes are................... ...that would be like me telling you were my girlfriend lives................. ..you would be all moving in, to get in on the action :)

Good luck to you all.

Offline Saskfisherman4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #181 on: Jan 22, 2017, 06:18 PM »
Ya I think church hill is trolling everyone .

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #182 on: Jan 22, 2017, 06:23 PM »
I bet he uses the new bait balls........ heard they are great.

Offline jiffy22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #183 on: Jan 22, 2017, 07:00 PM »
LOL.................I guess it's like the old T.V. show.........  RIPLEY'S BELIEVE IT OR NOT.  You younger people are going to have to google this show :)

As Jordy posted............he has seen it and believes it.  There are a couple other people on here that believe it also.  I can see were some of you skeptics might not believe it, as most fishermen lie a lot.  But fishing is like a sport ............you have your star players, and then you have players that just warm the bench.

I have posted on here what we are using for hooks and baits.  The Fishin' Hole, Cabala's, and Wholesale Sports owe me a commission for them selling out
of hauger spoons.  And I have posted on here for people to save their money buying meal worms, maggots, minnows, etc. Perch eyes are free, that's all we use.

My fishing partner (also a star player), and myself have been out about 10-12 times this year.  We are well over 1000 perch........ok, ok, that's a lie :), we are around 700,  and over 30 walleye caught.  We target perch, and could be catching a lot more walleye if we wanted, but we get all the walleye we want during the summer up North.

I can't tell you exactly were our holes are................... ...that would be like me telling you were my girlfriend lives................. ..you would be all moving in, to get in on the action :)

Good luck to you all.

I have no doubt that you and your fishing partner are as successful as you are. Years of putting in the time, learning from others and testing techniques gets you there.  I assume that you, just like others who are as successful and as fortunate to fish often pay attention to catch and release mortality.  Much research says at least 10% of the fish released do not survive. Im no biologist and may be wrong however I believe that kill % is likely higher and varies little between species.  When anglers are catching big numbers i hope we all consider this in our limits.  In your example, of 2 of you catching 700 perch in 12 outings, the motality number would be 70 fish or about 6 per outing.  So consider a 2 person take home limit at blackstrap to be no more than 14.  20 less anticipated motality of 6. Assuming we have none at home.

I suspect you prefer fresh fish and seldom take more than the night's supper home so are no where near to killing a limit each time out.  Your comments however offered an opportunity to share some thoughts on fish resourse management.   When the bite is hot and you know you have the opportunity to fish more than a couple times a years consider the release kill #'s in your limit.   To those who let life get in the way and only fish a couple times a year go hard. Take home a limit and enjoy.  For the rest of us, theres no reason to. 

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #184 on: Jan 22, 2017, 08:25 PM »
Jiffy22, you are correct with your posting.  I had a fly in fishing camp on the Churchill River for 35 years.  Were customers would catch over 100 walleye a day and would wear out their arms from catching pike.  Had an outpost camp for Lake Trout.   Over the years our outfitting industries had lot's of contact with gov't people regarding release mortality rate.  As everyone knows, the Pike have the lowest rate.  With the Lake Trout having the highest.  Walleye and Perch if handled properly (and most were, as our customers had a guide), had a low rate also. 

Remember, when ice fishing you don't have to reel up the fish like crazy.............just keep a tight line and reel them up slow, they aren't going anyplace, and so what if one or two get off while bringing them up.....this will allow you to release them unharmed.  I like to think myself and my fishing partner (retired C.O), have a low mortality rate on the fish we release.  We understand some fish are going to die...............just like some animals are going to end up road kill.  You will always have your tree huggers, Peta, etc..........which is ok, everyone has beliefs and have the right to express it.  Fishing/hunting is like every other cycle of life...that's why there are limits with the release mortality rate figured in.............that's why there is a need for forest fires................t he need to cull heards, etc.  This topic is like talking about politics or religion, which I usually don't get involved with.

There are days when we only cook up a good shore lunch and don't take fish home.   I did post awhile back ago when there were 4 of us out.............."You know we fish to much, when no one wants to take fish home".

I guess the lake will be ok, if only myself and my partner are releasing fish,( that a few might die).  Seems we don't have to worry about other fisherman adding to the release mortality rate..............lol.

Just keep going out guy's and you will hit a day here and there when the bite will be on for you.

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #185 on: Jan 22, 2017, 10:00 PM »
Well put jiffy. Although I find Churchill's posts entertaining I will leave him with something to think about.

Arrogance is simply the act of trying to convince others that you are more successful and knowledgeable than you really are....

Keep the 200 fish per day posts coming though, it's good entertainment!

Tight lines fellas!

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #186 on: Jan 22, 2017, 10:40 PM »
I just got on this forum this year as I thought it was to help other people who wanted to know when the ice was thick enough, etc.  And to let other people know how the fishing was, were approx. they are biting.  So I was just reporting on how we were doing, what hooks and bait we are using and our Technics.  Most of my post were in answers to other fishermen that were asking for my input.

Sorry if I offend anyone by being a better fisherman then most.  And letting you know how our fishing as been.  And sorry, some of you took the truth as being bragging.  I did try to keep it comical if possible, as not to offend anyone.

Farmboy, sorry you took it as arrogance, instead of what the site was meant for............just trying to help other fisherman out.

So, to try and help you Farmboy............... ..Every time I am out on the strap, I will be putting a sign up................FISH ING LESSONS $100.....now you have something to take as arrogant, while others will take it as comical.  And Farmboy, we haven`t had any 200 fish a day this year.............the 200 plus days were 3,4,5 years ago.

Offline jiffy22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #187 on: Jan 23, 2017, 08:12 AM »
I just got on this forum this year as I thought it was to help other people who wanted to know when the ice was thick enough, etc.  And to let other people know how the fishing was, were approx. they are biting.  So I was just reporting on how we were doing, what hooks and bait we are using and our Technics.  Most of my post were in answers to other fishermen that were asking for my input.

Sorry if I offend anyone by being a better fisherman then most.  And letting you know how our fishing as been.  And sorry, some of you took the truth as being bragging.  I did try to keep it comical if possible, as not to offend anyone.

Farmboy, sorry you took it as arrogance, instead of what the site was meant for............just trying to help other fisherman out.

So, to try and help you Farmboy............... ..Every time I am out on the strap, I will be putting a sign up................FISH ING LESSONS $100.....now you have something to take as arrogant, while others will take it as comical.  And Farmboy, we haven`t had any 200 fish a day this year.............the 200 plus days were 3,4,5 years ago.

Haha!!  Sorry Churchhill River, this was not my intention, i should have posted my comments more general than to refer to you.  Not sure you,re worth $100, but a day spent with you guys watching and talking technique would be well worth a couple moose steaks or a case of beer 😉   Your sharing is apprecitaed by many.  Please continue to do so. 

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #188 on: Jan 23, 2017, 08:23 AM »
I'm all for it too Churchill, like I said it's good entertainment. You put whatever signs you feel you need to on your fishing shack, it makes absolutely no difference to me, fill your boots man. I don't even fish Blackstrap. For those that need fishing lessons though, I'm sure they would appreciate you helping them out for $100. After reading a few of your posts it sounds like we could all learn a great deal from you...

Keep the tips coming and good luck out there.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #189 on: Jan 23, 2017, 08:33 AM »

keep the post coming Churchill they're a good read. nice to know some guys are still catching perch. I went out yesterday and could only find walleyes when going for perch. I moved up and down the break line north of shields and tired a few areas away from the crowds. ended the day with 9 walleyes most were 12-15" and only kept 2 for the table. Didn't see a single school of perch out of the 40+ holes I drilled.

gman51

« Reply #190 on: Jan 25, 2017, 06:29 AM »
that's really to bad whytie you must have been totally devastated with only those 9 walleye being caught. LOL.... :o

gman51

« Reply #191 on: Jan 25, 2017, 06:32 AM »
going out today hopefully can run into the same problem....... ;)

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #192 on: Jan 25, 2017, 08:39 AM »
Good luck to yea  :thumbsup:. if I'm lucky I may make it out for sunday again for a few hours. I fished Bradwell a couple times this year but I'm not a fan of fishing in the crowds or having guys pull up and start fishing holes just you cut, at least wait till I'm gone.

Offline darrenf442

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #193 on: Jan 25, 2017, 08:55 AM »
Its very believable what churchill says, During the summer ive done 20+ perch in less then 10 minutes.  On the strap finding the hotspots dont come easy and are sometimes in areas which make no sense.  But when you find them fishing is really really  good.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #194 on: Jan 27, 2017, 10:21 AM »
My best fishing day on this lake was this day four years ago with perch, pike and 24" and 26" walleyes from a hand auger-drilled 6" hole in -20 temperature. They are deep in the basin somewhere not related to structure during the daytime.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #195 on: Jan 27, 2017, 07:40 PM »
Well, haven't been out for 6 days.  Went out today with my buddy.  We fished hard, tried 4 different spots, drilled 100 holes...............di dn't get a bite.

What do you guy's think?...............true or false................. .....Again, I will refer you to the old T.V. show.... Ripley's Believe It Or Not.....:)

gman51

« Reply #196 on: Jan 27, 2017, 07:58 PM »
I think you guys might need some lessons. Lol

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #197 on: Jan 28, 2017, 10:55 AM »
Perhaps starting a business to sale per-drilled holes as it seemed effortless to dig 100 in no time.

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #198 on: Jan 28, 2017, 12:40 PM »
I'm on Blackstrap right now in the north end, lots of people out.  Haven't marked any fish yet may have to just go on a hole hopping expedition lol! :)
//.\\//.\\ark

gman51

« Reply #199 on: Jan 29, 2017, 08:18 AM »
great day for being on the ice yesterday. put a full shift in, moved around fishing different areas and visiting a couple buddies that were also out. nothing much going on during the day for hooking up on walleyes or perch but a few adolescent pike were had. ended the day with a nice little walleye bite towards evening. nothing of the larger variety 10-12" but an active bite none the less.  might even try that spot again today.....

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #200 on: Jan 29, 2017, 10:58 AM »
I was kidding on my last post................ab out drilling 100 holes and not having a bite......just want to see how many of you thought it was, True or False.  Some people pmed me, and said knowing you it was false....lol.   We were in our usually area and only drilled 10 holes and ended up with 30 plus perch.  They were slow in the morning and hit in spurts in the afternoon.

We have noticed over the years that late Jan and the first 2 weeks in Feb are always the slow time for the winter.  But, as long as a guy can catch enough to fry up for shore lunch and take a few home, it's still a good day.  As they say................a bad day of fishing is still better then a good day at work.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #201 on: Jan 29, 2017, 02:52 PM »
9:30 to 13:30 today. One 15" walleye from the first hole. Then not a single mark in the next 20 holes.

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #202 on: Jan 29, 2017, 04:03 PM »
Went yesterday to North end in 22 fow, 18 perch, 4 walleye and 1 pike.  Fish was slow but somewhat steady, hitting the lure quite hard which is nice for change.

Noticed lots of garbage on the ice, propane cylinders, bottles and even diapers, some people have no respect for the lake they fish in.

Offline Flatlander14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #203 on: Jan 29, 2017, 06:49 PM »
Was on the ice Saturday and Sunday moved around quite a bit both days with minimal action. 3 walleye and a pike on Saturday and 2 walleye today. Might wait until later in the season before I put in a full shift again. Always great to be outside when it's this nice but a little more action is always nice!

Offline familyfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #204 on: Jan 29, 2017, 10:20 PM »
Well I have got to say that my hat goes off to a guy like Churchill River.  Obviously after a lifetime of fishing and being in the fishing industry he has developed his fishing skills and good on him for being able to hammer the fish pretty much every time he is out. He has posted a lot of useful fishing tips, much more than most guys, that people are able to use.  For a guy like myself, I have a five year old that absolutely loves ice fishing but I am only able to make it out to the strap a few times a winter because like other guys have said, life gets in the way.   Any hints that seasoned veterans like this give out help put guys like me a little closer to getting on the fish the few days I get out.     

Ripnflutter is another one that posts a lot of great information that helps a guy to know roughly where to start when you don't have a lot of time to hit the ice. 

Churchill, I would say keep the posts coming and ignore any negative chirping.  You will find that just like the hunting forums, you can run into a lot of jealousy in these forums.  What they forget is how many hours you have put in to develop your fishing knowledge and techniques. I assure you there are many guys out there that are hammering fish year after year and do not say a word to anyone about what lures they are using, depth they are fishing, etc.   Hope you keep hammering them and I look forward to the posts!     

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #205 on: Jan 29, 2017, 10:24 PM »
Well I have got to say that my hat goes off to a guy like Churchill River.  Obviously after a lifetime of fishing and being in the fishing industry he has developed his fishing skills and good on him for being able to hammer the fish pretty much every time he is out. He has posted a lot of useful fishing tips, much more than most guys, that people are able to use.  For a guy like myself, I have a five year old that absolutely loves ice fishing but I am only able to make it out to the strap a few times a winter because like other guys have said, life gets in the way.   Any hints that seasoned veterans like this give out help put guys like me a little closer to getting on the fish the few days I get out.     

Ripnflutter is another one that posts a lot of great information that helps a guy to know roughly where to start when you don't have a lot of time to hit the ice. 

Churchill, I would say keep the posts coming and ignore any negative chirping.  You will find that just like the hunting forums, you can run into a lot of jealousy in these forums.  What they forget is how many hours you have put in to develop your fishing knowledge and techniques. I assure you there are many guys out there that are hammering fish year after year and do not say a word to anyone about what lures they are using, depth they are fishing, etc.   Hope you keep hammering them and I look forward to the posts!     

Very well said!
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline small-town-fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #206 on: Jan 30, 2017, 12:34 PM »

I would very much agree very well said.
Small town fisher

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #207 on: Jan 30, 2017, 01:06 PM »
Thanks Familyfisher/Saskbucks/Jordy:

Appreciate the positive comments.  I am aware of the pro's and con's of being on forum's.  They always get carried away (off of the intent of what the forum was set up for), with people talking about................. .........well let's just say talking about unrelated stuff.  We all got carried away (myself included), with the whole chain issue across Evans Road. 

I know if someone kept posting on here that they were catching more fish then us, I would certainly not be criticizing him, but instead asking them what they were using, what spots they were fishing, etc.   Although, if someone was catching more fish then us, I know what they would be using................. ...................... .....dynamite......... .....lol.  Sorry guy's, couldn't resist that.

I am glad I was able to help out a few of you.

Familyfisher, if you only get a chance to get out a couple times a winter, I can see were it would be hard to find the fish, etc.  I knew when I was 5, 6, 7 years old, my dad would take me out 4 or 5 times a month, as he was a big time fisherman.  I like to think I learn't from the best.  Probably wouldn't of gotten into the outfitting business had I not grown up fishing with my dad.

If you can get a chance to get out say the last 2 weeks of March, when the spring bite is on, people on the forum should be able to tell you were they are, etc.

Offline rutherbefishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #208 on: Jan 30, 2017, 07:23 PM »
After reading these posts from Churchill all I can say is after fishing for close to 45 years I too have had many days of catching a lot of fish when others were struggling to catch enough for supper. That being said I can also tell you that I have never felt the need to try to convince people how great a fisherman I really was. You say you post to help out others but all you've really said is how great you and your buddies are and you're using perch eyes for bait. If you really feel the need to convince everyone how great you are maybe pick another forum. I know there are others out there like myself that think either it's a lot of B.S. or you're just guy that needs his ego stroked. Just my 2 cents worth

Offline small-town-fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #209 on: Jan 30, 2017, 08:07 PM »
Spook here we go again let's complain about how a gentleman is talking about catching fish woopy  who cares let the guy talk about if he caught 100 perch or 23 perch if you don't like what the guy Churchill has to say skip his post and keep reading. I joined this forum to chat about fishing and to help people out and to even get help fishing and you know very dissapointed in how people have to continuously go on and on about such little things maybe guys and gals let's get back on track and just start posting about fishing.

For eg (oh went out to the strap on Saturday and caught a couple perch and a nice walley.)

Small town fisher

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.