Author Topic: Heat Suggestions for flip over  (Read 3817 times)

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Heat Suggestions for flip over
« Reply #30 on: Sep 28, 2016, 02:04 PM »
slamminsam is right on target. IMO
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #31 on: Sep 28, 2016, 02:25 PM »
I've had my portable buddy a long time its green in color ...I believe its from early 2000's....most days I don't bring it for my 2 man Frabill Adventurer ...but on those bitter days its a welcome friend . ...with the vast improvements in base,mid and outer layers hard to be cold anymore .I have had days that I wished the heater had a adjustable range so as not to be fussing with the on off ...high low settings ...but in my area it very few days that its extremely necessary .I have mine in my tub/sled... mounted to my right as I sit on the left side.. easy to turn off/on and warm up my fingers.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #32 on: Sep 28, 2016, 02:34 PM »
ive got the little buddy which is good enough heat for a 1 man flip but its a little tipsy.i bought the portable buddy which is great in any shelter but  cant handle wind blowing on the face or it goes out all the time.my other heater is a coleman cataylitic 3000 to 5000 btu heater which last for 3 days on a tank of white gas but the price of coleman fuel is getting pretty high.and yes I ventilate when using it.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #33 on: Sep 28, 2016, 03:49 PM »
There is a great modification for the buddy heater involving putting a shield for the wind around the pilot light. That is the biggest pain with them if your flip is not sealed air tight around the bottom.

Offline LeeinOH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Sep 29, 2016, 04:11 AM »
My little buddy heater works great in my clam single flipover...

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #35 on: Sep 29, 2016, 04:23 AM »
I have something similar to that as well. It's intended for use in a golf cart when it's cold out. I found it too unstable for the ice, although you could probably do  modification to help keep it upright.  No tipover  or Co cutoff on mine either. Not good in a small space. Maybe there is on that one.

Thought I'd mention that I tend to move around.....a lot. I found that firing up the heater kind of made me want to stay put . I also found it a pain to deal with a hot heater if I decided to jump to another spot. Lots of threads on here about repairnig burn holes in portable shelters.

I'll admit that it was really nice taking a nap in the Commando when the mid day lock jaw took hold ;D

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline LeeinOH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Sep 29, 2016, 05:03 AM »
It has both the tip over shutoff and CO shutoff.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #37 on: Sep 29, 2016, 06:04 AM »
Good deal Lee. Nice compact little heater.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Sep 29, 2016, 09:15 AM »
If you need that much heat to be comfortable,you either need to get better warm weather clothes or stay home. Some days it's just too cold to fish comfortably. Dragging heat sources onto the ice is for permie shelters. Not for portables. It's not fishing from your living room.

Rg

Oh it's funny how different we think! I hate hard sides because I want to have different scenery each week but I go with all the comforts of home. I'm guessing you would laugh at what I pull out on the ice each weekend, but I can tell you this, it can be 10 below and 40mph straight line winds and it's t shirt weather in my insulated Clam Bigfoot 4000! And I'll have bacon and eggs for breakfast and if it get's nice in the afternoon the BBQ will be slow smoking something! All portable and on my Magnum jet sled that is prepacked with the cover on in the V-nose, dual ramp door trailer. Just hook up my '13 Ski Doo Renegade and yank it out. I have 3 buddies with hard sides and the Clam is twice as roomy and more comfortable than any of them.

Anyway, topic at hand, I bring a Buddy portable and a tabletop Coleman burner with an 11lb propane tank. If it's super cold I can run both at the same time with two hoses and an OPD splitter and it stays crazy warm.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.