The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Why leave fish on ice?  (Read 7096 times)

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Why leave fish on ice?
« Reply #90 on: Feb 10, 2016, 12:49 PM »
Are you guys from NY really butthurt that we indiscriminately kill pickerel in maine? The state puts a 50 fish a day limit with no size restrictions. I like to leave 50 dead ones on the ice, decor for my fellow fisherman to see I do my part.

This forum has been an eye opener. I will be sure to leave any/all perch and pickerel I catch on the ice in visible spots for you NY/MA/VT weekenders to cry about.

Check your rule book. The limit on pickerel is 10 fish per day, no size restrictions.

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #91 on: Feb 10, 2016, 01:14 PM »

And just so we are clear here I do currently live in VT  But spent the vast majority of my adult life as a Maine Resident.  This has been a topic since the first day I have been on this site and its sad to see that people can't come together and realize I have never seen anyone say "you need to release all the fish"  All people are saying is do something productive with the fish, take it home to eat, use as lobster bait, or fertilizer.  But don't leave them rotting on the ice.  That's the sign of a true moron.

That's my view on things. Don't leave them to waste. Use them for something. Maybe it's just not a maine thing, but that's how I treat the outdoors. Left over scraps/waste from hunting goes to predator hunting, the garden, or catfishing. Fish same thing. If you think you're a better man/woman for throwing it on the ice, we'll more power to ya. A few of you from Maine have explained your position without talking down on out of staters, and that's awesome. I learned about maine's management goals because of that. Those of you bashing on out of staters, you look like idiots.
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline Woods Wise

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #92 on: Feb 10, 2016, 01:16 PM »
Not one was left on the ice, not that I care if you do leave them. Turned these into delicious lobster.

These were left on the ice as a nice gesture to all.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #93 on: Feb 10, 2016, 01:32 PM »
Eagles in my mind are not the sign of a Moron . In Vt. Maybe you do Think that way .   !   

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
« Reply #94 on: Feb 10, 2016, 01:33 PM »
Eagles in my mind are not the sign of a Moron . In Vt. Maybe you do Think that way .   !

Think if you look up a little bit you would see I had no problem with them being left on the ice in northern Maine. 

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #95 on: Feb 10, 2016, 01:52 PM »
Camp owners plead with me to leave them on the ice .If I did not eat fish I would leave piles of trout or what ever my limit would allow. This gives them a chance to see foxes ,Coyotes Eagles etc.  They see and  get lots of photos. small fish are healthier for the birds . less heavy metals. Of course in warmer months I swap the for Lobsters.

Offline caught_the_fever

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #96 on: Feb 10, 2016, 02:13 PM »
That's my view on things. Don't leave them to waste. Use them for something. Maybe it's just not a maine thing, but that's how I treat the outdoors. Left over scraps/waste from hunting goes to predator hunting, the garden, or catfishing. Fish same thing. If you think you're a better man/woman for throwing it on the ice, we'll more power to ya. A few of you from Maine have explained your position without talking down on out of staters, and that's awesome. I learned about maine's management goals because of that. Those of you bashing on out of staters, you look like idiots.

ADK - I think you'll find most of us Mainers are reasonable people who get along well with others.  Perhaps some have lost diplomacy skills from being told, in unsolicited fashion, by out-of-staters how to manage our own State - this board could be viewed as a microcosm.  Everyone has different opinions on matters, even the so-called experts of a given subject matter don't always agree.  There are certainly things any and every State could learn from others and no doubt we have room for improvement here.  But I can say I've seen through the years how my mother's words of wisdom that advice is most easily accepted when it is sought/requested applies.   

Offline thedirtydirtyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #97 on: Feb 10, 2016, 06:56 PM »
i understand the question MJ and I looked back and you did ask why, but instead of leaving it at why, you decided that you needed to throw out the comment that leaving the fish on the ice is an eye sore and should not be done... sounds like more of an opinion after the question which would put people who decide to leave their catch on the ice, on the defensive.  I put pickeral, perch, and small pike on the ice.  After this thread, I may decide to take those fish and make fertilizer cuz I think thats cool. 

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #98 on: Feb 10, 2016, 07:23 PM »
  After this thread, I may decide to take those fish and make fertilizer cuz I think thats cool.

After a year or two of doing it, you'll have more crawlers than ever! Makes for rich soil. I lke to get a jump start on spring yard work and I collect the crawlers I find for bullhead.
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #99 on: Feb 10, 2016, 07:33 PM »
When I rototill my garden My machine will have so many scales on it . I have 4" of fish on ea row after removing fillets . After saying that I make sure the wildlife at the lake gets there share.  One needs to have think of all angles and spread out and feed all.

Offline gunn308

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #100 on: Feb 10, 2016, 09:27 PM »
So now we not only have to deal with invasives in our waters we also have invasives puking and polluting our board. And you wonder why we look down on people from away.
"Oats that have already been through the horse are always cheaper than oats that haven't"

Offline troutmster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #101 on: Feb 11, 2016, 01:09 AM »
So why did Admin remove my post?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.