The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: eskimo or jiffy  (Read 3164 times)

Offline awesomefisher88

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: eskimo or jiffy
« Reply #30 on: Jan 22, 2016, 03:39 PM »
I would go with a jiffy They are a really reliable auger :)

Offline NORRM

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I see fish lurking about the chilly depths!!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 25, 2016, 09:40 AM »
I'm Jiffy all the way but there is one good thing about all the others. When they can't handle the cold and thick ice situations and they stop half way thru, you do have something in the ice to tie your shanty to!! ;D
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day
Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in his shanty all day and drink BEER!!

Offline Chas0218

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 25, 2016, 10:04 AM »
I have an Eskimo gas powered and have used it 4 seasons no issues just make sure you drain the tank and run her dry. Just as fast as my buddy's gas jiffy but mine is a couple pounds lighter also doesn't have that cheap plastic throttle.

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 25, 2016, 01:24 PM »
When I do finally get stick of the jiffy's weight I will be looking at a Tanaka on top of my finbore but that will be a long while, like when I get to JDK's age or something. ::) ;D

What???

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 25, 2016, 01:29 PM »

Offline csiacd78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 25, 2016, 05:10 PM »
I'm a Jiffy fan, have the Model 34 stx. Cuts fast with minimal effort. Started running Tru Fuel and no issues. Always wanted to find the tried and true older jiffy but they were all broken ones when I was shopping. I may jump on the Nils train if I ever look to buy another.

Offline Cool Blue

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Winter Time, Good times!!!
« Reply #36 on: Jan 25, 2016, 05:15 PM »
I just hanged up on my garage wall my 10 inch Jiffy model 30 and ordered the Eskimo 10 inch propane auger. I'll be testing it this weekend. My friends like theirs, no gas, less weight for the old back. I'm sure it will take twice as long as the old jiffy to punch through but I'm not in a race anymore...

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Jan 25, 2016, 05:20 PM »
I have an Eskimo gas powered and have used it 4 seasons no issues just make sure you drain the tank and run her dry. Just as fast as my buddy's gas jiffy but mine is a couple pounds lighter also doesn't have that cheap plastic throttle.

I never drain my gas tank because it lets the gaskets dry out, crack, and leak.  I fog the cylinder with oil and add Stabil and Start Tron to the gas and never had any problems.  My friend drained his tank last year and ended up with a leak, when he called Eskimo they told him the same thing I said.  I run Sthil oil because it also contains stabilizers and add some Seafoam to keep the carb clean.

Offline 207catesk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 25, 2016, 07:48 PM »
thanks for all the great info fellas, well after running both augers a little I am thinking that neither of them were any better than my old model 30.. maybe I should just put a little money into this one needs ....pull cord handle.... gas cap gasket leaky.... kill toggle switch, has a new carb kit in it this year and is sharp as a razor the amount of plastic on both the new models was ridiculous they sure don't build them like they use to.......save money and buy a flasher maybe it would be better spent  ;D

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 26, 2016, 12:58 PM »
thanks for all the great info fellas, well after running both augers a little I am thinking that neither of them were any better than my old model 30.. maybe I should just put a little money into this one needs ....pull cord handle.... gas cap gasket leaky.... kill toggle switch, has a new carb kit in it this year and is sharp as a razor the amount of plastic on both the new models was ridiculous they sure don't build them like they use to.......save money and buy a flasher maybe it would be better spent  ;D
smart man! ;)

Offline fmm1991

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 26, 2016, 01:59 PM »
I have a new ION. I have only used it once and the performance was as advertised. One unexpected but welcome benefit was the lack of noise. I was on a lake mostly by myself and the electric auger really helped keep things tranquil. I also got a quick brown on a shore line trap and in my mind the quiet auger played into the quick bite.

Offline MadFisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Wish this was work....
« Reply #41 on: Jan 26, 2016, 02:18 PM »
I have a new ION. I have only used it once and the performance was as advertised. One unexpected but welcome benefit was the lack of noise. I was on a lake mostly by myself and the electric auger really helped keep things tranquil. I also got a quick brown on a shore line trap and in my mind the quiet auger played into the quick bite.
I was thinking the same thing.  Dont feel so bad moving traps around if need be on those elusive fish.

Offline hogsonly715

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 26, 2016, 03:35 PM »
Went to Cabelas to buy a Jiffy the guy there talked me into a Eskimo mako hope I made the right choice

Offline ducksdown07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 26, 2016, 06:28 PM »
I had a jiffy a few years ago, i can't remember the model, but it was a 9". Lightning or stealth, I don't remember.  Out of the box, it leaked fuel like a sieve, a tank a night.  Couldn't return it less than 12 hours later because it had fuel in it. Had to go to the shop 12 hours after purchase, and took 3 weeks of fishing season to get fixed.  Fast forward some, the throttle cable on the new ones I hate.  Mine would fill with snow if it was windy or riding in the dog sled.  Multiple times it froze up on me.  It did once while I was pulling it from a hole.  Wide open as it came out and wouldn't stop, and finding the tiny kill switch took a minute because I was confused.  Packed up, and put it for sale for cheap as soon as I got home.  Told the guy why I didn't like it.  Got $125 for it, and went to buy my new one. Looked at eskimos, but went with a strikemaster lazer pro 10" and absolutely love it.  Only issue is my father drained the fuel on it after the season and the grommets and lines dry rotted.  $20 fix, and she's good as new. I'll never own another jiffy, except when my dad's model 30 becomes mine, and then that will become the backup.  Those are beasts, but heavy..
Some people say "if it flies it dies"
I'm on record that "if it just sits there, it still dies"
-Phil Robertson, The Duck Commander

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 27, 2016, 05:51 AM »
I have a Jiffy Stealth that replaced an old Model 30.  Have had some issues with the Stealth, some self induced, some not.  I have had a ton of issues with the bit,  again some self induced some not, and am still on the fence about it.  Overall, I'd rate it as a fair machine.  They new ones are no where near the quality or the reliability of the older models.

Prime the old ones till fuel runs out, yank the cord, and cut.  Simple.
I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline StolenB8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 27, 2016, 08:16 AM »
Ion. Never. Going. Back.  ;D

Ok I can't help myself... JACKS OR ______!!!

Offline fishing is life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 27, 2016, 09:30 AM »
Have been running a jiffy propane for 3 years and haven't had any trouble. Cuts really smooth and starts first or second pull even after sitting all off season. Only had the replace the propane 3 times, and always just keep one in my sled for backup. Nice auger and love not having to lug around a gas can all the time.

Offline ferrari175

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 27, 2016, 01:05 PM »
I have a Z71 shark (10 in) going on its 6th year now.  Its fast, starts easily every time 1-2 pulls and have had very few issues. This is the 2nd one as the 1st one was the 1st gen and it had some issues (had  an issue with the magneto and it seemed to leak a lot).  The 1st one I got was in 2009.  They sent me a new  at the time was the newest power-head they had (2010 model) The only issue I did have  with the newer one was that the tank cracked after 4 years. After calling them, it was a known issue as there was no expansion of the tank heating and cooling (in the garage during the summer).  It was years out of warranty and they sent me a new tank.  The newest models should now have all the issues worked out with them.  There is a bit of plastic but it has all held up just fine.  After every season I run it dry and have never had any issues the following season.  Great customer service, very powerful units and will continue to buy their products.  I do a lot of power drilling so mine sees a lot of run time ...some days I will punch 50-100 holes

It is a PRIVILEGE to take any animals life not a right and that privilege comes with some responsibility a license to fish and hunt is a license to be a sportsman not a license to kill

Offline Ice Cabin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 28, 2016, 06:11 AM »
I've owned a 8" jiffy for 30 years. It's still very fast cutting and starts on the 1st or 2nd pull every time.
When the birds fly by, the flags fly high!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.