New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: How much wind is too much?  (Read 6688 times)

Offline foulhooked

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: How much wind is too much?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 19, 2016, 09:37 AM »
How about flip overs, I've never anchored it before but I've had to hang on pretty good. Anybody anchor their flip overs?

With the 1-man, I've done the 1- and 2- point anchors using the old tow rope, setting up with back to the wind. Keeps me in one spot so long as I am helping hold it down, but there is a limit where that is just not stable, especially if you have to stand up.

Some do have additional anchor points, or you could probably come up with something relatively simple. But by the time it's that windy out, it usually stops being fun for me.

Offline bwlin13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 19, 2016, 10:40 AM »
Today got out at 6 left at 9 tore my anchor points on my shanty clean off   :'(

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #32 on: Jan 19, 2016, 10:51 AM »
Too much today............     >:(
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline FingerLaker607

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 19, 2016, 11:25 AM »
Directly proportional to the bite...yesterday was waaaay too windy  :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: but there were a few 20-30mph with negative wind chills last year that didn't even make me blink because the bite was on fire!

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All I need is a big Bull gill and Im set
« Reply #34 on: Jan 19, 2016, 12:17 PM »
I hate wind with a passion. Was on canandaigua 2 years ago and wasnt in my hut and it had been dead calm. Wind suddenly gusts and takes my hut for a 200 yard spin and i had to run after it.
That's a Bluegill, no that's a Sunfish...I've heard it both ways!!

Offline bahfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 19, 2016, 01:01 PM »
I've been out and had my polar tip up blow out of the hole. Takes the fun out of it when you're chasing equipment across the ice more than flags. Needless to say, I'm not going today, see what tomorrow brings.

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #36 on: Jan 19, 2016, 01:11 PM »
Well either you chase your stuff down when it blown's away, it flips, stuff breaks or the bite is just off- that's too much wind!
Hard to fish with you feet pinned against the hole to keep to the ground.
I hate the wind, anchors keep you from moving and that's no good if the bite is off!
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline BornOutside

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Too many seasons.....not enough time
« Reply #37 on: Jan 19, 2016, 01:12 PM »
Wind became too much for me by 11 at lonely.   Lots of fish on the screen though.....could have used an anchor....
I'll always ❤️

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 19, 2016, 03:08 PM »
I have a frabill 2 man flip over and it had loops sewn into it for anchor straps. They are no good in high winds. Look at the back of the sled which is where the wind will be pushing at. I got 2 loop bolts that I attached to the back of the sled to the plastic. Its very strong. I drill 2 Eskimo anchors into the ice about 3 feet from where I want the back of the sled. Attach a pull strap or ratchet strap from the bolts on the sled to the anchors in the ice. Won't go anywhere. Thus is a must when in a flip over shack on glare ice. Hope it helps.

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #39 on: Jan 19, 2016, 03:20 PM »
I'm with Pequod1 only with a few things added, As the bite declines so does the resistance to wind chill

Fishmon

« Reply #40 on: Jan 19, 2016, 03:29 PM »
Gore Mountain today,  50+ mph gusts with temperature in single digits = ouch!  Glad I did not opt for ice fishing.  Crazy winter so far.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.