The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: GULL LAKE  (Read 47523 times)

Offline dutch3376

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: GULL LAKE
« Reply #300 on: Feb 16, 2016, 11:28 PM »
Went out off Prairieville in about 62' of water and managed about 130 between two of us.  I think i need to order some smelt flies from lookinforpike...

Offline dutch3376

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #301 on: Feb 16, 2016, 11:30 PM »
70'-75' water, Baseline rd. go SW, catch smelt!

Didn't see your post until after we had already paid at the park...  😒

Offline Vtran4600

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #302 on: Feb 17, 2016, 09:49 AM »
Does anyone know where I can pick up or suggest a brighter led light, right now I have a 90 led and it doesn't seem very bright anymore, thank you in advance

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #303 on: Feb 17, 2016, 10:05 AM »
Order it online Fishing light etc. AlumiGlo Superbrite 1200 is the one I have. Some of the guy's even have a bigger one. The last light you will have probably buy. Its not cheap. :'( but. You will probably double your catch. :icefish: :icefish: :bow:

Offline lookinfopike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #304 on: Feb 17, 2016, 10:41 AM »
Ordered some smelt flies from lookinfopike and being last minute he meet us at the north end and gave us some tips on  what to do,  fished in 65fow with non stop action ended the night with 308 smelt between 2 guys huge thanks lookinfopike the flies took majority of the fish

It was nice meeting you, and I am glad everything worked as planed. Happy that the flies did the trick for you too. Sounds like you had a action packed evening. Hope to see you again :tipup:
http://www.gulllakecam.com/

Home of the "Gull Lake Smelt Factory Ice Flies"

Offline elklake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #305 on: Feb 17, 2016, 12:12 PM »
I think the lake is going to get a lot more crowded from now on.

Mlive article from Saturday night.

http://www.mlive.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2016/02/smelt_fishing_popular_as_ever.html

Offline theripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #306 on: Feb 17, 2016, 12:30 PM »
I will finally be down there on Saturday! Hopfully the rain don't mess it up for me. Can't wait to test out my new light!

Offline Hermin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #307 on: Feb 17, 2016, 12:54 PM »
I am hoping to get the 4 foot one before the start of next ice season.  I would like to get it to use for crappie fishing this summer off my dock.

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #308 on: Feb 17, 2016, 01:46 PM »
I think the lake is going to get a lot more crowded from now on.

Mlive article from Saturday night.

http://www.mlive.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2016/02/smelt_fishing_popular_as_ever.html

Saw that as well....the lake itself has plenty of room for everyone, but parking at the north end launch may get a bit crowded on weekends.
Follow GorbyGear on FB and Instagram

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #309 on: Feb 17, 2016, 03:30 PM »
I will be out tonight, around 5:30 p.m., fishing off Baseline.  Lookinfopike, just dropped off a few more flies.  Hoping my brother & me can get in on the hot bite. I will post later tonight.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #310 on: Feb 17, 2016, 10:53 PM »
314 smelt between my brother & me tonight  ;D. .  The  flies were smoking hot , tonight !  Also tried something new tonight, My brother had a jar of Berkley Gulp white maggots. They outfished the spikes we were using !  I will be back out, Thurs. night, & will be sharing my shanty w/ one of, if not THE BEST, smelt fishermen on Gull. "BOB" will be fishing  w/ me. He had over 200 by himself tonight. Looking forward to spending the night, watching him  outfish me  ;D.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline WestSideAl8x8

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pants up, don't loot!
« Reply #311 on: Feb 17, 2016, 11:50 PM »
314 smelt between my brother & me tonight  ;D. .  The  flies were smoking hot , tonight !  Also tried something new tonight, My brother had a jar of Berkley Gulp white maggots. They outfished the spikes we were using !  I will be back out, Thurs. night, & will be sharing my shanty w/ one of, if not THE BEST, smelt fishermen on Gull. "BOB" will be fishing  w/ me. He had over 200 by himself tonight. Looking forward to spending the night, watching him  outfish me  ;D.

How thick is the ice out there?

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #312 on: Feb 18, 2016, 04:22 AM »
A solid 6"-7". They were running Quads & sleds on the ice last night. A couple of inches of snow in most places. The "Hogsback" is locked up & there were guys fishing on it yesterday. The quads busted up the shore ice at baseline, pretty good. You will have to walk through about4" of water, to get to good ice.

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #313 on: Feb 18, 2016, 06:33 AM »
Man I can't wait for 3:30pm today so I can bust outta work and head on down....glad to hear there is machine traffic as I will be bringing my sled tonight.  Hopefully the bite stays good for at least one more night!

Offline GpaPerchEye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #314 on: Feb 18, 2016, 07:29 AM »
If going tonite don't forget your sea anchor, or you'll be trolling way too fast downwind.LOL. weather calls four gusts 30+ mph.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #315 on: Feb 18, 2016, 07:50 AM »
If going tonite don't forget your sea anchor, or you'll be trolling way too fast downwind.LOL. weather calls four gusts 30+ mph.
Thanks for the heads up on the wind. We set up last night, thinking we didn't need the anchors, we were wrong !  Luckily, we found out, before we put too much gear in the shanty .  For anyone running machines, PLEASE BE CAREFUL. this past week-end, there was still open water near the 100' hole on the north end & the "Hogsback" was also open . They are locked up now, but who knows how the ice is ???  One more thing I noticed last night, if you are running tip-ups, PLEASE do not put them on the trail leading out to the smelt grounds.  I think I ticked some guys off, when I walked within 5' of theirs, yesterday, placed right in the middle of the trail. Sorry, but I'm pulling over 200 lbs. of gear on 2 jet sleds & I aint gonna  go off the beaten path. I know, ...I don't own the lake. Just trying to help spread some common cents .

Offline Hermin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #316 on: Feb 18, 2016, 08:35 AM »
I will be out tonight with my dad.

Offline 20 pounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #317 on: Feb 18, 2016, 09:32 AM »
Fished off of baseline rd last night about 100yds NNW  of the pine tree branch. Fished from 7 to 10 and caught  about 12 smelt. We used small glow teardrops and hali jigs. It seemed almost everyone was catching fish but us. The only thing I can think of is we don't have an underwater light. Do you think a light is necessary for success?

Offline Vtran4600

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #318 on: Feb 18, 2016, 09:36 AM »
Fished off of baseline rd last night about 100yds NNW  of the pine tree branch. Fished from 7 to 10 and caught  about 12 smelt. We used small glow teardrops and hali jigs. It seemed almost everyone was catching fish but us. The only thing I can think of is we don't have an underwater light. Do you think a light is necessary for success?
I think I talked to you while you were packing up with your boy

Offline Vtran4600

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #319 on: Feb 18, 2016, 10:13 AM »
Order it online Fishing light etc. AlumiGlo Superbrite 1200 is the one I have. Some of the guy's even have a bigger one. The last light you will have probably buy. Its not cheap. :'( but. You will probably double your catch. :icefish: :icefish: :bow:
Thank you just ordered the 24in

Offline Hermin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #320 on: Feb 18, 2016, 10:39 AM »
The only thing I can think of is we don't have an underwater light. Do you think a light is necessary for success?

Yes.  I had 281.  The guys fishing closest to me had 3.  Next time find someone with a light to set up next to.  Most people will not care.

Offline GourdneckGills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #321 on: Feb 18, 2016, 11:26 AM »
Youre wasting your time not using a light. No light=no plankton=no smelt. Simple little equation
Life is hard, its harder if youre stupid

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #322 on: Feb 18, 2016, 12:20 PM »
Where is the "Hogsback" on Gull???? Just want to make sure I don't go near it with a machine.

Offline 20 pounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #323 on: Feb 18, 2016, 12:30 PM »
I think I talked to you while you were packing up with your boy
Yes.  That was us.  Thank you for the offer to share your light.  I would have taken you up on that offer but I had to get up early.  Also our heater quit working.  Pretty discouraging trip overall.  It is good to see that there is a great group of guys out there eager to help out a novice in need.

Offline GpaPerchEye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #324 on: Feb 18, 2016, 02:07 PM »
Wgorby. Look up the map from the Mich DNR website. You'll see the hogs back near the center o
 The  northern third of the lake

Offline baitslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #325 on: Feb 18, 2016, 03:48 PM »
On my way to smelt heaven now. Getting to try out my new Eskimo EVO2 for the first time.  ;D Planning on baseline rd. any advice as to the shore ice still broken or ok

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #326 on: Feb 18, 2016, 05:40 PM »
Glad I could help Vtran4600. Hope you will be able to use it this year. :)  It's to bad the quads are breaking up the shoreline. Not sure it will lock up not with this warm weather and winds. Good ice away from shore.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #327 on: Feb 19, 2016, 12:12 AM »
The shore ice at Baseline , tonight , was not too bad. I heard a different report for the north end boat launch,..... the wind was messing it up, pretty good. Wgorby, did you take your new sled for a swim ? ;D.  Met quite a few new friends tonight , from on here. I think I may have ticked 1 guy off, though.  Sorry for asking you to move a bit farther away , but when my friend seen that 4800 lumen light on your sled, he was ready to help me pack up & move.  We are finding, that too much green light attracts  the plankton & the smelt. The problem is,..... with all the plankton, the bite shuts down. 30- 50 yds. between the brite green lights is about the  minimum, that we are trying to achieve. The guy that was fishing w/ me tonight, is probably the best smelt fisherman on Gull. He did not count his fish tonight, but I figured a solid 150- 175. I had exactly 100. He used MY bait, demon glow jigs, a blue/glow Hali & a Custom Patriot rod, along w/ a Broken fish finder , & still kicked butt ! He gave me a few tips, again tonight, the most important one,... get away from the crowd .

Offline dutch3376

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #328 on: Feb 19, 2016, 01:40 AM »
It was nice to meet you tonight smeltbuster.  Thanks for the hook up on lookinforpikes smelt flies.  Although it was slow, I did see an improvement using them.  My buddy and I had kind of come to the same conclusion about fishing so close together with everyone else and wished we had set up a little further away from the group, but with the windy conditions, we weren't to excited to tear down and set up again.  We probably managed 60-70 between the two of us(he always outfishes me on Gull too).  Hope to see you out there again sometime.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #329 on: Feb 19, 2016, 08:34 AM »
Hey Smeltbuster! Did I see you on Michigan Outdoors last night?
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.